Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

I have read several differing opinions on this subject but was wondering what the general consensus about jeans in the dining room is.

I think that the Viking company line states no jeans in the dining room, but I have seen many people state that there are many people wearing jeans in the dining room, and it is fine.  I"m not talking about ripped jeans, but "dress jeans" with appropriate collared shirts and shoes.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

22 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Jeans are allowed in the World Cafe but I have seen passengers in jeans turned away from the Restaurant and Manfredi's.

So have I. The simple solution is to wear “corporate casual” slacks, e.g., Dockers). 

• Like 6

The Viking guidelines for "Rig of the Day", with respect to the dining venues are very clear.

Sadly, not everyone complies. Similar to Jim, I have seen the host/hostess refuse entry, requesting the pax change into more appropriate trousers.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The Viking guidelines for "Rig of the Day", with respect to the dining venues are very clear.

Sadly, not everyone complies. Similar to Jim, I have seen the host/hostess refuse entry, requesting the pax change into more appropriate trousers.

On our recent trip on Viking Sky we also saw people turned away for wearing jeans and the dress policy is clearly stated on the desk as you enter any of three formal restaurants. 

I personally would be happy with dress jeans but I respect Viking’s clearly stated policy and happy to respect it. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, hoorayy said:

This morning my husband was denied entry for breakfast on the sky.  

The no jeans only applies at dinner, do you mind sharing the reason why he was denied entry at brekky. 

I am baffled by this question repeatedly showing up.  The questioner already knows the rules, they just want to know if the rules apply to them.  I for one like Viking's rules and expect them to enforce them.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The no jeans only applies at dinner, do you mind sharing the reason why he was denied entry at brekky. 

No idea why, our son had shorts on and both were denied 🙅‍♀️. Lesson learned 

45 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

That’s crazy.  I’ve often worn shorts to breakfast and lunch in The Restaurant.

Same here (jeans - I’m not a shorts person). Also, many folks have a shore excursion in the morning, so there would be little time to change.

• Like 4

Just wear a pair of regular pants. They are lighter, cooler and take less room to pack.

I would skip bringing jeans and focus on pants that work for all venues at all times--more versatile.

Same for shirts--skip t-shirts, and bring polo shirts as your most casual. They work for day-time at the pool, on excursions or for any restaurant in the PM. For exercise, bring a performance fabric golf shirt.

Why take more clothes than you need to?

Edited by broker1217
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

That’s crazy.  I’ve often worn shorts to breakfast and lunch in The Restaurant.

Same here Clay - I wear shorts every day until about 17:30, at which time I trade the shorts and trainers/sandals for long trousers and black brogues.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hoorayy said:

No idea why, our son had shorts on and both were denied 🙅‍♀️. Lesson learned 

I can only assume that they may have considered their shorts and/or shirts as "athletic" style attire, which they don't generally accept in the dining rooms. For walking, I use football shorts, but change into nicer shorts for walking around the ship.

Edited by Heidi13

Is this new? We wore jogging pants and a zip up jacket and jeans everyday at meals, all meals B,L and D on the Star at the Restaurant.  We have traveled twice on the Star. Are you saying no jeans for any meal at the Restaurant?  No athletic shoes?? We traveled when it was cold so no shorts. 

56 minutes ago, Kerrfamily said:

Is this new? We wore jogging pants and a zip up jacket and jeans everyday at meals, all meals B,L and D on the Star at the Restaurant.  We have traveled twice on the Star. Are you saying no jeans for any meal at the Restaurant?  No athletic shoes?? We traveled when it was cold so no shorts. 

Maybe you were on Norwegian Star ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At breakfast in the World Cafe we met a couple and started chatting about the food.  The woman shared that they ate all their meals there because her husband refused to wear anything except jeans.  They spent thousands of dollars for the cruise but never experienced the Restaurant, Chef’s Table or Manfredi's, how sad. I couldn’t believe a man in his late 70s didn’t own a real pair of pants.  Pack some Dockers or travel pants and enjoy your trip.

• Like 5