Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

11 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

You will still be behind the fellow passenger on the recent world cruise who dressed in denim bib overalls most days/nights.....  No kidding....🤡

He could have been a "Beverly Hillbilly" !

• Haha 2

On 8/20/2024 at 5:19 AM, Redtravel said:

On Mars now.  Jeans are being worn everywhere.  I have seen many people wearing them at dinner in the restaurant. Restaurant is not turning anyone away.  Most people are dressing neatly.  There are a few exceptions.  

Cruise before you, jeans in specialty restaurants too. Very noisy in all the public areas, esp Living Room & Explorer's Lounge and could not hear the music; it was a partying crowd. We really enjoyed the cruise but the "Viking vibe" was a bit off;  don't know how to explain it but didn't impact our enjoyment of the cruise.  

@Redtravel Hope you have great weather, esp for Heimaey Island - there were still lots of Puffins on the cliffs. After my morning included"walk", I grabbed a taxi with 2 others & headed out to the viewing point.  We were dropped off & picked up about 20 minutes later. Puffins are such clowns. (The Ho-Ho bus drops you for about an hour -- far too long.  It is cold & windy at the point)

6 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

Cruise before you, jeans in specialty restaurants too. Very noisy in all the public areas, esp Living Room & Explorer's Lounge and could not hear the music; it was a partying crowd. We really enjoyed the cruise but the "Viking vibe" was a bit off;  don't know how to explain it but didn't impact our enjoyment of the cruise.  

@Redtravel Hope you have great weather, esp for Heimaey Island - there were still lots of Puffins on the cliffs. After my morning included"walk", I grabbed a taxi with 2 others & headed out to the viewing point.  We were dropped off & picked up about 20 minutes later. Puffins are such clowns. (The Ho-Ho bus drops you for about an hour -- far too long.  It is cold & windy at the point)

Interesting.  We were on Mars in June (Bergen to Iceland).

Did not have this situation as bad as you did, although definitely it was a different style of passengers - Most of the public areas were fine and pleasant.  Only the Explorer's Lounge was way loud and boisterous.  So maybe that's where they all went all the time, complete with barefeet on the chairs and tables, and even the barstools 🙂

We also did use the words "Viking Vibe as we know it has gone away".  We also had a wonderful cruise.  I guess we just have to accept that things are different with a new type of passenger now doing Viking.  Maybe it's just the cultures are changing everywhere to more of a "me first, I don't care about others, I spent many $$ and am entitled to do what I want, I don't like the rules so I won't follow them" type of crowd.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We also did use the words "Viking Vibe as we know it has gone away".  We also had a wonderful cruise.  I guess we just have to accept that things are different with a new type of passenger now doing Viking.  Maybe it's just the cultures are changing everywhere to more of a "me first, I don't care about others, I spent many $$ and am entitled to do what I want, I don't like the rules so I won't follow them" type of crowd.

Our last cruise was a river cruise, and the atmosphere felt very familiar. However, the previous two ocean cruises definitely had a different vibe. The first of those was during the strict Covid protocols. The fellow passengers who removed their masks as soon as they passed by the Viking rep at the front of the bus made me feel like a chaperone on a middle school field trip.

I must admit it makes me feel so old to say it, but I do miss the more generally refined (or is it just adult?) way of things. I still enjoyed those cruises, but the changes were apparent. 

• Like 3

So I’ve noticed as well that the vibe feels a bit different. There are many younger people, which is good for Vikings bottom line of course. And it’s nice to have a cross section of society. But I’m not in love with what prevented me, and my husband when he was alive, from going on a cruise. Viking always has been a fairly sedate experience, if that is the correct word to use. Which is why I/we have only gone on Viking or Tauck (3 times). I wonder if the lack of proper adherence to the dress code is a harbinger of things to come. Oi! 

The reason why we now consider Viking to be a budget (if the sale price is good enough) option. They are no longer premium, so we are not going to pay premium prices. A shame, as Viking still does a lot right, but independent is better and costs less. We'd prefer to go budget all inclusive and just use the hotel as a base, rather than book a cruise 

5 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

The reason why we now consider Viking to be a budget (if the sale price is good enough) option. They are no longer premium, so we are not going to pay premium prices. A shame, as Viking still does a lot right, but independent is better and costs less. We'd prefer to go budget all inclusive and just use the hotel as a base, rather than book a cruise 

So do I understand that you no longer cruise?  So you DIY travel? We always did that but I like someone to plan and organize for me now I’m older.  I have taken some land tours recently. Do you have any suggestions for what you characterize as budget all inclusive? I’m always on the lookout for additional travel ideas. Thank you. 

On Mars, there doesn’t seem to be any big group.  People are not loud. It is very pleasant.  Although I don’t wear jeans to dinner, I am not bothered by those guests who wear jeans.  

30 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

On Mars, there doesn’t seem to be any big group.  People are not loud. It is very pleasant.  Although I don’t wear jeans to dinner, I am not bothered by those guests who wear jeans.  

Not the point is it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tobique33040 said:

So do I understand that you no longer cruise?  So you DIY travel? We always did that but I like someone to plan and organize for me now I’m older.  I have taken some land tours recently. Do you have any suggestions for what you characterize as budget all inclusive? I’m always on the lookout for additional travel ideas. Thank you. 

We only do all inclusive if the price is right, sales etc We just use the hotel as a base, but all inclusive hotels are often mediocre. We just glance at the high street package holiday TA sale adverts. A few hundred pp including flights is as much as we will pay for them. 

We were put off trying ocean cruising by the hideous big ships, arrived at Viking from river cruising and a friend's recommendation, despite the limitations thought them good. Standards declined between Sky first season and Orion, but things were still OK, after covid quality took a nose dive. As I said, still lots they do right, but am only going to pay budget prices now, as the armosphere is becoming budget all inclusive. 

We cruised between other holidays, most independent, so not cruising isn't much of a change

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

We only do all inclusive if the price is right, sales etc We just use the hotel as a base, but all inclusive hotels are often mediocre. We just glance at the high street package holiday TA sale adverts. A few hundred pp including flights is as much as we will pay for them. 

We were put off trying ocean cruising by the hideous big ships, arrived at Viking from river cruising and a friend's recommendation, despite the limitations thought them good. Standards declined between Sky first season and Orion, but things were still OK, after covid quality took a nose dive. As I said, still lots they do right, but am only going to pay budget prices now, as the armosphere is becoming budget all inclusive. 

We cruised between other holidays, most independent, so not cruising isn't much of a change

Thanks very much. Yes we were never cruisers because of the mammoth sized cruise ships and attendant craziness ( from our perspectives anyway ). My husband finally agreed to go on a Viking river and we loved it. Since he died I’ve gone on several Viking ocean with my daughter or a friend. But as I mentioned earlier, I am not sure if I will continue. I’ve got three upcoming, one river and two ocean, so I’ll have to see how they go. Thanks again for your input. 

It’s 2024. The no jeans in the restaurant was written many years ago. It might make more sense if Viking changed the dress code. The pandemic changed everything. Accept it. If you get upset that somebody that you don’t know wears jeans in the restaurant, relax and ask yourself if it really matters. The person wearing the jeans bought a cabin and is doing as they please. They aren’t telling you what to do. Maybe, you should dress as you want and not care what other guests choose to wear.  Relax and enjoy the cruise. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

It’s 2024. The no jeans in the restaurant was written many years ago. It might make more sense if Viking changed the dress code. The pandemic changed everything. Accept it. If you get upset that somebody that you don’t know wears jeans in the restaurant, relax and ask yourself if it really matters. The person wearing the jeans bought a cabin and is doing as they please. They aren’t telling you what to do. Maybe, you should dress as you want and not care what other guests choose to wear.  Relax and enjoy the cruise. 

As long as folks do not reek of body odor or filth on their clothing, I wouldn't be terribly bothered by (GASP!!) jeans in the dining room.  Now, a torn dirty smelly T-shirt with F*** YOU emblazoned across the front, that would be offensive.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I think that this is really part of it.  When we did Northern Lights earlier this year, there were a few large groups that were clearly traveling together, and tended to socialize (rather loudly).  As the situation became more difficult, one group got way more vocal about their displeasure.  

6 weeks later, we got on the Orion in Bangkok and were on the ship until Vancouver.  I really do not remember seeing any large groups traveling together like I saw on the previous cruise.  It seemed to be mostly couples.

TBH, I don’t remember seeing any jeans whatsoever in either Manfredi’s, CT or The Restaurant on the Orion.    

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

As long as folks do not reek of body odor or filth on their clothing, I wouldn't be terribly bothered by (GASP!!) jeans in the dining room.  Now, a torn dirty smelly T-shirt with F*** YOU emblazoned across the front, that would be offensive.

Being able to comply with a dress code, whatever it may be, is a basic social skill, showing respect to the hosts and fellow diners/travellers. 

Those lacking in that social skill are sometimes lacking elsewhere, pool lounger hogs, bathrobes in public etc

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 5