The Daily for Monday August 09, 2021

richwmn

Today is Book Lover's Day, Polka Day, and International Day of the World's Indigenous People

"I wanna make a jigsaw puzzle that's 40,000 pieces. And when you finish it, it says 'go outside.' - Demetri Martin"

Meal suggestion for today - Carne Asada Nachos

Drink of the Day - Noble Punch

Wine of the day - Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge The Upper Terrace 2017

Destination of the Day - Vladivostok Russia

Ships with Passengers

Juneau, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 13:00 - 22:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta today
Noordam Destination Ensenada MX eta 8/12
Zuiderdam Drifting Off Los Angeles

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0809Alaska.thumb.png.d1a54e713ceaa83b117e65e8437bd93b.png

0809NAmerica.thumb.png.2dbb4b7bfaf80f7aa39940efe5142a9d.png

0809Europe.thumb.png.71295d595f1744baf75a11dc35a4dd12.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Good Monday morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  I love books.  Doing the polka is fun.  And we should honour Indigenous People of the world.

Funny quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the wine and drink of the day are good too.

Another port I have never been to.  Thanks in advance for all the pictures and comments I'm sure will be posted.

Prayers for everyone.

It's going to be a hot day here, I'm not sure what I'll get up to other than to take Bertie Woofster for a walk soon, before it gets too hot.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  A salute to Indigenous people and books but I'll pass on the Polka,  A very interesting quote today.  Vladivostok sounds interesting but I don't think I'd go there in the current environment.  I'll wait and see what @dfish has to say about the meal.  My alternative is Salad of Arigula and Frisee, Baked Ricotta Stuffed Shells, and Strawberry Romanoff A La Mode, which I might have chosen on SS Rotterdam V on August 9, 1997.  Today's lists are both short:

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
StLouisCruiser’s back
From the rotation:
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
Kazu’s friend recovering from a brain bleed

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief, bobpatj, and Copper10_8 on a BHB
Nieus Aamsterdam in Juneau
Ger_77's family visit
Welcome home StPeteCruiser
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.  

Hot and sunny is the forecast here in northeast Ohio.  I have my AC on.  Today is my day as a book lover.   I also enjoyed dancing the polka when my back and knees were younger.  Celebrate indigenous people, but work to inspire respect for them on a daily basis.  

Today's meal is a great one.  I'd make it tonight, but there are too many carbs with the chips.  How do you do nachos without the chips?   Anyways, you can substitute parsley for the cilantro and if you don't like the jalapeños, leave them off!

https://damndelicious.net/2020/01/21/carne-asada-nachos/

Carne-Asada-NachosIMG_0445.thumb.jpg.b5a2d74321453c1777f6e057de8c4500.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is from the same cruise as yesterday's sunset.  On August 9, 2014 Radiance of the Seas was northbound on the Inland Passage towards Ketchikan, Alaska.

dawn0809.jpg

Roy

• Like 32

Thank you for today's daily and care reports Rich and Roy.

Pauline reads lots of books.

Nice recognition for indigenous people.

I will have to pass on today's food and wine.

We have never been to today's port but had a wonderful time in St Petersburg Russia on our Baltic cruise on Serenade of the seas in May 2015.

It is afternoon here and I have been doing sales calls since 08.15am and still have a few more to do.

I have popped into Starbucks for a coffee.

It is 65°F, sunny with an occasional very light shower.

Prayers to everyone who needs care.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

IMG-20210809-WA0000.jpeg

• Like 27

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Monday smile 🙂 

Not a Polka fan but I do admire those that do it so enthusiastically.  A salute every day to all Indigenous people.  And what can I say - love books and reading.

FD580626-2B25-49BE-BCBE-67B274C3ABBF.thumb.jpeg.451fd9bc1564bbd96c0c7772100a9d5a.jpeg

Like the quote today - ironic 😉  and nachos - yum!

Finished my preserves yesterday - 2 batches of blueberry preserves and another batch of jam so, once I’m done with the periodontist this morning I will turn my attention to the garden where I see a lot of dead heading has to be done and to the house which needs some cleaning 😉 I think wine will be in order tonight after that 😉 

95E3A30F-BD47-4058-BEDD-D527E37FC492.jpeg.308c5d260763701db42c1299ec85a70d.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!!!

7868C2BB-ACFC-480A-BB20-3C8847FCC44D.thumb.jpeg.c07517a967da3423e12e6a7dad00380a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. I was lucky enoughh to begin reading books at a very early age and it has been a life-long passion. A respectful salute to indigenous people, modern history has not been kind to them. I'll skip the polka. I love carne asada - never had it with nachos. Roy's suggestion also sounds good.

looks like things are heating up in the Atlantic as peak hurricane season approaches. Worth keeping an eye on.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love today’s combination of days, though
we need to do more for indigenous people. Celebrating them is a start.

Thank you for today’s shorter lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! Another beautiful morning. Bindi and I were out so early, I had turn on my front door light to lock it on our way out. 

@dfish I might try today’s recipe with some veggie chips. They might have to be a more substantial than some I have had, but I bet I can find some. I will let you know if I try it this way. 

I have some fellow gym rats popping in this evening to check on me. I am not capable of doing my normal spread, so I told them they could bring a tapa/snack food if they thought my offerings were lacking. But they had to promise to take any leftovers with them when they went home. How is that for tacky? 

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge The Upper Terrace 2017

All vintages of this PN share the same superb ratings. And the same hefty price. I found one online auction site offering the 2018 vintage for approximately $85.00. That was the lowest price. 😱

Winemaker Notes

#35 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Its sweet earth and spice aromas always prevail, yet in this vintage they discovered a new bouquet of wildflower blooms — a welcome evolution, or perhaps a signature of the vintage. The palate shows hallmark depth and balance, with candied berry, granite, and a waft of expertly roasted coffee. Long, lithe tannins carry the composition to an electric finish. They noted several moments passed before full expression in the glass, promoting their strong suspicion of timeless cellar potential. 

WS96 Wine Spectator: Seduces you immediately, with expressive violet and dark raspberry aromas that open to polished and brilliantly structured blueberry, savory anise and tea flavors that take on richness on a long finish. Drink now through 2026.

JS96 James Suckling: This has beautiful aromas of raspberries, cranberries, blueberries, cherry pits, stones, red tea, lemon zest and some asphalt. It’s medium-bodied with finely knit tannins and bright, crunchy acidity. Racy, zesty and fruity. Some fresh mushroom at the end. Drink from 2024.

• Like 29

Good Monday morning.  Quick post with the drink recipe.  Will be back later.

Noble Punch:

Ingredients
1.5 oz Casa Noble Crystal Tequila
1 oz pineapple juice
0.75 oz simple syrup
0.5 oz lime juice
1 dash aromatic bitters
Soda water
Old-Fashioned Glass
Preparation

Place tequila, lime juice, pineapple juice, and simple syrup into a shaker with ice.
Shake until chilled, then strain into an Old-Fashioned glass.
Top with soda and bitters, and garnish with a pineapple wedge.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 7.54.52 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Another hot day expected here. I love books and belong to a book club, but I bought a kindle a few years ago to take cruising and I must admit I love reading on it. You can make the print any size you want, load on as many books as you like, and it’s lighter than a book so makes transporting it easier.

Today is Sam’s last visit from the Visiting Nurse Association. Tomorrow he starts PT as an outpatient at a great facility less than a mile away. We are lucky that our senior center in town provides free rides anywhere in our city, so after tomorrow they will pick him up to go with the aide and I won’t have to worry about getting him there. I’ll bring them home.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 35

Things are getting interesting here in MD.  Several jurisdictions are again requiring masks inside.  There is also a lot of discussion as to which sort of mask should be worn to protect you from the Delta variant, even if you have been fully vaccinated.

Polkas and books are two of my favorite things.  Indigenous People are deserving of our respect.

I love the quote, but feel that way after getting a 500 piece puzzle completed.

Stay Safe, Everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

Things are getting interesting here in MD.  Several jurisdictions are again requiring masks inside.  There is also a lot of discussion as to which sort of mask should be worn to protect you from the Delta variant, even if you have been fully vaccinated.

I haven't heard the discussion of mask types in my area.  I have never completely quit wearing a mask indoors.  It's low hanging fruit that I find it a bit silly not to take advantage of.  My county is still in the low risk category but not so much my ZIP code.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Lots to do on a Monday morning and it delays me from getting here on time.  Thanks to @richwmnfor the very interesting Daily.  Love books and agree with @mamaofamiabout the benefits of Kindles.  Polka I approve of but have no idea how to do that.  Indigenous people are worth a celebration.  If we prepared the nachos we would have to take the jalapenos off half of it because DH and I are not on the same page with peppers.  @rafinmdmy back pain is not worthy of a mention on the prayers list so you can remove me.  Yay!  The prayer list is shorter already!  Congrats to any of us on the celebration list.  I hope more good news is in our future.

However, we got a little news last night when our neighbor Paul called to ask how we were feeling.  This is the household that had three Covid cases and accidentally exposed DH to it because Copeland (91 years old) forgot to mention it to him.  Copeland was doing alright but his daughter was feeling worse than he was.  But apparently Saturday they noticed his oxygen levels were dropping so they called an ambulance to take him to the ER.  They didn't want him sitting in the ER waiting room too long with other sick people, so instead of driving him there they tried the ambulance route.  Copeland is in the hospital and will come home in a few days Paul said.  We did not even see the ambulance next door on Saturday.  What a surprise to hear this sad news.  Let's all hope Copeland is back to his normal good health, sitting in the shady garage waving to all and watching what's going on in our little neighborhood very soon!

I have actually been to Vladivostok, Russia in 2010 on Diamond Princess on its unique Bangkok to Whittier itinerary.  I wish they had something like that these days to book.  It was a great cruise.  I'll post this now and try to find a few good photos of our day there.  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Here’s hoping I make page 1, probably the only time 🤪 as I like to sleep in.  They’re putting a speed bump in on our street so the noise is deafening. 
Thanks to all who make this happen. Love books and read every day. Enjoy meeting you all vicariously, someday in person. Enjoy today. 

• Like 21

Let me start by saying it was a completely miserable day in Vladivostok on May 5, 2010.  The rain was coming down heavily and the winds were whipping it sideways at times.  Nevertheless we decided we HAD to get off here since it would be a totally different experience from St. Petersburg over on the opposite side of the country.  We would come back drenched but had plenty of days before we had to pack up our wet shoes and disembark the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKt4n0Wk181AGhhkely3El84xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We planned on heading towards the railway station and then up that main road to see what the downtown area looked like.  No tours were planned here - we wanted to stick close to the ship.  On this cruise we had several couples we were traveling with so we all stayed together.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJksWvlRveaZSijHilARtlX4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This was parked nearby.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjCQ0n0Gnx5Ju_MgV2-zgkV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Inside the train station.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJJV5zM5SvsbrPT1eM-1ILfqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Our photos were horrible back then.  IPhones have improved my photo taking ability a lot.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJmuIH6xxrcg-lwETm09460aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

A sunny day would have made a big difference in our visit there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ3yPE7UnOnrNJw6_s_YpTzVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Everything was so bleak!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJvsdtMONquZHTbpTpZTYiI5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIy9UKFqmE1U37-sjK8RHkA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The ancient looking public transportation.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJJBqRAtaecxDXM5Dpl-R3T?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The weather was so wild, you couldn't even use an umbrella.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI3As-ShqNHjIzXjo4cXEKJVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8Z1WJQX_aLX_4GqZ_j8gg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We decided we'd all better get indoors to do some shopping.  At least it would be dry.  So we found a mall.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLBlr57rRFf-BBsbFDxekPHqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

A view out the window at the mall, looking back towards our ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaVgTRWj2b6c2GLBNRbu-l?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

At the entrance to the famou GUM department store we saw lots of souvenirs.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIM_uP_tpZRe9T7mqMGiNS5VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Two of our friends shopping for something to take home with them.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVEaru8H9PKiUpUCLHJRQmldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Most of this department store consisted of stalls, selling things like dusty electronics on the same shelves as the beauty supplies.  It was rather dismal except for this souvenir section.  It was very surprising.

Back to the ship!  This guy pointed the way.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJj5g8aefzu_p9QZRWgG4VtV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

That evening we had some local entertainment come on board.  The theater was jammed with people, even lining the walls, standing room only.  A scary thought nowadays!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKu7d-KRkqpwjDS8pb-MIF6rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJwBCcfEjTcuGy5ZOZlRXdFaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI7deINRmft9yMTLn2jnQASV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIxO4Ow4b2IqksIhJw0WkB1Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Who knows if we'll ever get back to Vladivostok again?  If we do it had better be sunny or at least not raining cats and dogs!😉

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 3