Traditional Dining

Turk1

OK, lots of talk about Traditional dining, Anytime dining, DMW and more. The one question I have is Princess doing away with Traditional Dining? One Traditional Dining Room, same table, same wait staff for the whole cruise? Enjoy Club Class but those cabins book up fast. Like having the same table and waitstaff for the cruise because they know what you like and you get to know them. Maybe those that have cruised already will have the answer. Thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I meant that @Steelers36 has lots of thoughts on Traditional Dining.

understand about "thoughts" - but now there is actual experiences from cruisers on board, and hopefully more to come

thanks

disclaimer - we don't do TD, and we prefer anytime 2 tops, now even more 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

In the current thread from the passengers onboard it's been said  that TD doesn't exist anymore.

It was a big topic this morning, you can probably just reference the last few pages

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2795203-live-from-the-majestic-princess-august-8-2021/

On the August 1 sailing, "Traditional" still existed but it did not have that label.  The MedallionClass app permitted a user to either (i) reserve a dining time and place for one evening at a time; or (ii) for the entire cruise.  If you chose (ii), you would have a "Traditional" dining experience -- same MDR each night with the same waitstaff.

Edited by tarheelz1995

Hopefully it will still work that way. I have the Amalfi Dining room (Enchanted Princess), Table for 2, 7PM for the entire cruise. Nice to have just time for the wife and I to sit and talk. Busy life often stops that. Both trying to slow down a bit and as the saying goes "smell the roses".

• Like 1

Here is a (mostly complete) repeat of a post in the Dine My Way "sticky" thread (#1111) I made on July 17.  It gives a kind of "state of the dining" as I knew it to be then:

Some updates concerning DMW.  Princess and OCEAN team knows this has been a problem area and are "fully engaged" in fixing it.  Acknowledged to me that it is certainly not working as intended.

Ship personnel were involved in original design or business spec, but IDK if was a F&B Mgr, or a MD, for example.  I was unable to find out who represented dining, but ought to have been someone(s) very knowledgeable since this is a huge new step for Princess.  Wish I could say, but don't know - and I also have not seen the spec's, so IDK how far off-base OCEAN Team was, or if specs were too simple.  Since I am an IT guy, I'd love to know, but no info (and why should it be shared with a customer/shareholder?). 

When DMW was first designed/spec'd, it was at a time when Covid-19 was still very much alive and was done under different set of anticipated needs/requirements, including social distancing and splitting people up to dine by cabins.  I'm getting a somewhat sanitized version of things, but I imagine they are in scramble mode to get this area addressed and improved.

They do plan to integrate table size into the selection process for making a res, but I was not told any further particulars (I would have needed to be talking to an IT team lead or PM I suspect).  Princess is committed to maintaining the TD concept/experience.  So, this does include choice to dine with others or not (table size).  Includes same location and waiters - but again IDK how they are doing that and got no further insight as yet.  I probed about what the vision was for how DMW data would be passed on to the on-board MD's and how their function/process changes and no answer (at least yet). 

I asked about the Pace of Service criteria that is part of our Preference profile in MC App.  Nothing definitive, but intent seems to be to try and group like-minded together who have indicated a preference.  It was noted any desire to speed up, etc, is easily handled now by speaking with waiter(s). 

In some of the DMW literature, it mentions selecting table location.  Again, no answer on what that means or how.  Obviously, we have always been able to request something from the MD on board, or walk-ups can make verbal requests that may be filled on available basis.  

>> I did get an update on this matter later on.  The “Table Location” preference refers to options such as close to a window, near the entrance, etc. This was removed in the short term but is still on the project "roadmap" to implement following their return to service.

I also did not get an answer right off on any missing inventory.  And there was no set date when dining can be open to mix strangers at same table.  I don't think they built that into the App originally at all, so we aren't seeing it out in 2022.  IDK if they are going to clear out future res in 2022/2023, say, when DMW can support more robust reservation choices, but that idea has been passed to the team.  (If they don't do that, then how can they combine multiple parties or know who wants to dine with others and who doesn't unless start over again?)

>>  As has been reported in the "Live Froms" for Majestic, there is some combining of guests for dining on request.  I have not seen any changes to future cruises in 2022, other than when I regained access for a multi-cruise voyage, the old data was cleared out and I re-made fresh reservations (still ended up being incorrect).

I had suggested the DMW function highlight the time-slots that fall into the TD windows for Early and Late and not just be off in a FAQ on Princess.com. 

>> To repeat for those who don't know, the Early TD times are 5:00pm, 5:20pm, 5:40pm.  Late TD times are 7:00pm, 7;20pm, 7:40pm.  These were the times indicated to me and also in the FAQ's that Princess looks at as TD in terms of timing for the main evening entertainment events.

Didn't get any insight on missing DR's from DMW inventory and if the DR's will continue to be divided as before or mix TD and AT all over.  (I don't care personally if a DR is all one or the other or is mixed.  I'd just like to keep same location and waiters each night - assuming they are good ones LOL).

So, in general, a detailed letter I sent to several exec's at PCL was well-received and shared around, including to OCEAN Team.  At least I am told this and I believe it.  What among the DMW issues raised here on CC and in my letter get attention sooner or later - and in what manner - remains to be seen.

I really do think they got a good understanding of the design/feature issues and want to fix it.  I wish I would have been told they have decided to do this and this and this.  Details were scant and can only hope they do take the issues/shortcomings to heart and work to resolve them.  

>> I suspect they have had too many fires to fight getting people on the ships now that voyages have commenced.

I didn't get any particular insight as to when voyages for which DMW is not working will start working.  I'd say, of you have a near-term voyage and cannot make a booking, then call the OCEAN support team.

In the meantime, of course attention is on the first voyages and getting guests sorted out there, including data fixes and such.

While I did get some warm and fuzzies as in they are going to right the DMW ship, I wish I heard more concrete specifics.

Hope this is of value to some of you, even though it is short on more specificity.

Princess website official marketing on DMW is on this page:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/dine-my-way/

I recommend also reading the details in the DMW FAQ download PDF:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/dine-my-way/dine-my-way-faqs.pdf

I also provided feedback on the FAQ's, including some inconsistencies in the text and what it means for Traditional Dining.  

I am dismayed to read some reports that TD seems nearly abandoned on Majestic, but I do think many guests are getting that experience.  I do not have any insight on what the original plan was in terms of DMW being the "master control" of the DR as some posters have suggested on the Live Froms, versus the MD still having control of things. 

I have some level of hope/confidence that things will improve and TD will improve.  (Unless Princess reverses decisions previously made and communicated).  I just think guests need to hold their feet to the fire if it is important to you - while recognizing they likely have other priority issues to address.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

We have never been fans of traditional dining. We always opt for anytime dining, and are happy to share with another couple or two, but anything larger seems to slow the whole meal down.

Good point - 'Happy To Share' always ended in a table for eight.

We want traditional dining, second seating, same waiter/assistant as we have for the past 30 years.  I don't understand why it is such a problem that they no longer are doing it.

This is what I saw on Princess.com, so we booked and I would assume be honored????  Comments welcome!

Dine When You Want

• Select dining times for main dining rooms and specialty restaurants.*
  • Change reservations as needed. (It's flexible!)
  • Request the same time each night if you prefer the same waitstaff.
  • No reservations needed for those eligible for Club Class Dining.

*Previous dining selections (including traditional dining) will be honored.

• Like 1

Just now, mellon1 said:

We want traditional dining, second seating, same waiter/assistant as we have for the past 30 years.  I don't understand why it is such a problem that they no longer are doing it.

This is what I saw on Princess.com, so we booked and I would assume be honored????  Comments welcome!

Dine When You Want

• Select dining times for main dining rooms and specialty restaurants.*
  • Change reservations as needed. (It's flexible!)
  • Request the same time each night if you prefer the same waitstaff.
  • No reservations needed for those eligible for Club Class Dining.

*Previous dining selections (including traditional dining) will be honored.

Wondering what is happening on other ships other than Majestic if people would please post it would be appreciated.

58 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Wondering what is happening on other ships other than Majestic if people would please post it would be appreciated.

Try asking on the REGAL threads if there is one.  UK cruisers have been posting lots on Princess board.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Try asking on the REGAL threads if there is one.  UK cruisers have been posting lots on Princess board.

I will see if I can find that.  I didn't see that.  Someone just posted and told me Majestic is the only ship for Princess going out of US.  Hubby is quite upset about the dining issue.  At least he said we will wait and see what happens in upcoming months with other Maitre' D's or Dining room Managers.

6 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I will see if I can find that.  I didn't see that.  Someone just posted and told me Majestic is the only ship for Princess going out of US.  Hubby is quite upset about the dining issue.  At least he said we will wait and see what happens in upcoming months with other Maitre' D's or Dining room Managers.

Sorry, presumed you might know I guess.  REGAL is doing "staycations" out of Southampton, UK.

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Sorry, presumed you might know I guess.  REGAL is doing "staycations" out of Southampton, UK.

Thanks so much for all your help Steelers36, really and truly appreciate it.

Mary

There have been various posts here, and on other social media regarding the first Regal cruises, including videos,  if you know where to look.

I think it would be fair to say that  the initial cruise was a bit of a disaster,  with regard to the use of the Medallion for ordering drinks and food. Lots of comments about lengthy delivery times (over an hour for a drink to be delivered) and waiters walking around shouting out names, as they could not find who had ordered the drinks on their tray. In the end, it appears that waiters just resorted to writing orders using a good old fashioned pen and paper !

However,  comments have dried up a little now, so perhaps the teething problems are being overcome.

Just as an aside,  the testing procedure at Southampton seems to have worked pretty well. Anecdotal evidence indicates that roughly it took two hours from arriving at the drive through testing facility, waiting for the test results, checking in and boarding.

• Like 1

I'm sailing solo in two weeks. I decided anytime was better when I go solo. I had flaky tablemates who ended up not showing up a couple of nights the last time I had traditional dining. With Covid protocols in place, I may end up at a table for one--but it probably won't be at a table for eight.

The big thing about the demise of traditional dining times is that it does away with having every table at about the same point in dining. On my last cruise (also solo), I was in the middle of eating the main course when they dimmed the lights for the baked Alaska parade. The timing was terrible for those of us at my table. 

5 minutes ago, geoherb said:

The big thing about the demise of traditional dining times is that it does away with having every table at about the same point in dining. On my last cruise (also solo), I was in the middle of eating the main course when they dimmed the lights for the baked Alaska parade. The timing was terrible for those of us at my table. 

Not having TD can and oftern does mess dinner up with the parade, etc.

Having Club Class Dining works great BUT that's not always possible.