Having second thoughts, should we make final payment?

neptuno

1 hour ago, Rudzig said:

Go for it.  Ships are safer than land now!

Probably, but many have to travel over land (hundreds of miles, gas stations, rest areas, etc.) and/or by air to get to another airport and/or, and then, the port, usually a day or two early at a resort or hotel, dining out and ride renting from the airport to resort or hotel and then to the ship "before even getting on and in that ships' safety bubble."  Additionally, the new variant changed the game with even 100% vaccinated cruise offering passengers equally able to contract and transmit, whether or not they know it or not or are symptomatic and the CDC's guidance of the waning worrying drop in the vaccine efficacies. 

Just need more time, more data, more transparency...  🤞

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rudzig said:

Go for it.  Ships are safer than land now!

If not from Florida, the amount of money spent-just to get there, time off from work and by a slim, chance you are asymptomatic-what then?

My problem is not at all feeling safe on the cruise. I would feel very safe as a vaccinated person.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Debde said:

If not from Florida, the amount of money spent-just to get there, time off from work and by a slim, chance you are asymptomatic-what then?

My problem is not at all feeling safe on the cruise. I would feel very safe as a vaccinated person.

Get your test done at home 3 days prior.  why not get the vaccine?
I got mine in a drive through setup at the mall.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

Get your test done at home 3 days prior.  why not get the vaccine?
I got mine in a drive through setup at the mall.   

I am vaccinated. My concerns are having to do the test at the pier-which to my knowledge is required by MSC at this time and having to go by what those results say. If i am wrong and can get my own test and not have to be tested again at embarkation-that is much better.

Again-people that are within driving distance to the ports in Florida are very lucky when it comes to cruising.

Listening to the news now, I am sure everything we are debating now will change as things are going to change rapidly for the cruise industry.☹️

1 hour ago, Debde said:

I am vaccinated. My concerns are having to do the test at the pier-which to my knowledge is required by MSC at this time and having to go by what those results say. If i am wrong and can get my own test and not have to be tested again at embarkation-that is much better.

Again-people that are within driving distance to the ports in Florida are very lucky when it comes to cruising.

Listening to the news now, I am sure everything we are debating now will change as things are going to change rapidly for the cruise industry.☹️

NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED: For cruises departing on or after August 27, 2021, all guests age 2 and older – regardless of vaccination status – must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises

4 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED: For cruises departing on or after August 27, 2021, all guests age 2 and older – regardless of vaccination status – must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises

Thank you. This is good. I thought they were still testing at the pier also. 

I can't keep up with everything lately!!🥴

• Like 1

Just now, Debde said:

I hear ya. my fear is the bad covid test only to go home and be test negative.

I dont know what they have going on there doing so many people so quickly. i'm getting tested the second i can just incase anything happens i have time to test again to make sure.
seen to many false positives I have been waiting almost a year and a half to cruise

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Debde said:

I just found this out too.  We are sailing on Divina on Sept. 30th.  We are only 1 1/2 hours away from pier... but still concerned about the testing onsite.  I'm very happy they have changed the requirement.  We will test in the 3 day period prior to sailing and be good to go....hopefully!!!  I plan on really hunkering down the week prior and masking everywhere.  We live in FL 😞  and ARE vaccinated. Not everyone living here are ignoring what's going on 😉 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, phissy said:

MSC Health and Safety guidelines were updated August 16,2021.

Many may not get an email from MSC.

This is why CC is such a valuable resource.

Given all that's been going on lately, anyone with a reservation on MSC (or any line, for that matter) in the next 30 days should be checking the cruise line's website every single day. No, I'm not kidding.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2021 at 5:29 AM, Beamafar said:

I now find myself facing the same dilemma.  Final payment is due on Friday next for our mid-October, Seashore, cruise.  At this very moment, we, as non-Schengen area residents (though EU citizens) cannot board an MSC ship.  This restriction applies until 31st August.   I’m not keen to hand over any more money to a company that is asking me to pay for something that it currently is not allowing me to avail of. 

I rang MSC today to ask if I could get an extension on this basis and was told that it’s not possible.  I can either make the payment or move the deposit to another cruise up to September next year.   Right now I am in no mood to even consider making a new booking.

While I understand that Covid is the cause of a lot of uncertainty I cannot understand why MSC is not allowing Irish citizens to cruise on their ships.  

My suggestion is to cancel if your deposit will be in jeopardy soon (final payment approaching).  I cancelled my November cruise out of Rome 1 week before final payment, which would have been today.

I see that there is plenty of availability on the cruise I cancelled, and I suspect the prices will decline further to fill them up.  So if for some reason I changed my mind, I could still rebook again, although a new booking would be non-refundable because we're now within the final payment period.  But given the current state of things, I don't expect to do so.

There are some who are big on booking and getting FCCs.  I'm not one of them.  In my mind, it only turns what was a fully refundable deposit into a non-refundable deposit, and picking up $200 or so in OBC does not offset the possibility of loss of deposit, in my view.  And you can be quite sure that MSC will not return any of your money to you that they don't legally have to.

I also believe, right or wrong, that "breakthrough" cases of the fully vaccinated are much higher than what is being reported.  The reason I feel they're downplaying this is so as not to scare those off who have not yet received the vaccination.  Even though I am fully vaccinated, I don't feel safe at this point.  

A cruise is supposed to be fun.  Something where you can largely leave your worries behind.  It's not supposed to be something that creates even more stress and worries.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:18 PM, neptuno said:

With the new virus surging in Florida and the hospitals at near capacity, wondering if we should dare to cruise out of Miami?  Final payment deadline is coming up for Divina and there seems to be no end to this pandemic in the near future.  Would not like to be turned away at the pier or worse, to get sick on ship.  Maybe wait until next year?  Your thoughts?

I may have a different perspective than most responding here.  My wife and I last cruised in Sept. 2018 in an NCL Haven cabin.  Wonderful experience.  We had a ten-day Haven cruise for the Med scheduled for Sept. 2020.  Once Covid hit, we obviously cancelled that.  Then we started planning multiple land-based vacations to make up for the lost cruise.  As we got close to each one, my wife said "maybe we should delay until after Covid".  We did this three times.  Then, on Sept. 15th of last year, my wife had a cardiac event in her sleep and past away.  She was only 57.

Since then, I have taken the attitude that life is just too short to wait on any chance of "Covid going away".  I got vaccinated in February and am now living my life to the fullest.  I have a cruise next Friday on MSC, a Universal Orlando trip with my DD, SIL, and 2 granddaughters in three weeks, and a Royal cruise in November.  No more waiting for "Covid to go away".  Life truly is too short.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I may have a different perspective than most responding here.  My wife and I last cruised in Sept. 2018 in an NCL Haven cabin.  Wonderful experience.  We had a ten-day Haven cruise for the Med scheduled for Sept. 2020.  Once Covid hit, we obviously cancelled that.  Then we started planning multiple land-based vacations to make up for the lost cruise.  As we got close to each one, my wife said "maybe we should delay until after Covid".  We did this three times.  Then, on Sept. 15th of last year, my wife had a cardiac event in her sleep and past away.  She was only 57.

Since then, I have taken the attitude that life is just too short to wait on any chance of "Covid going away".  I got vaccinated in February and am now living my life to the fullest.  I have a cruise next Friday on MSC, a Universal Orlando trip with my DD, SIL, and 2 granddaughters in three weeks, and a Royal cruise in November.  No more waiting for "Covid to go away".  Life truly is too short.

Certainly everyone has to make their own decisions based upon their personal comfort levels.  My risk tolerance is lower than my girlfriend's, as an example.  

When you cruise during covid times there are good things that can happen and bad things that can happen.  Obviously that's always been the case, but certainly things are undeniably different now.

That said, so sorry to hear about your wife.  I'm with a big Wall Street firm and one of my larger clients were a husband and wife who loved to travel.  They both seemed to be the picture of good health and the wife was in her mid to late 50s (as am I).  

Sadly, his wife had a totally unexpected brain aneurysm and died in her sleep.  The husband is back on track and doing quite well, but obvious it was a very tough situation for him, so condolences to you as well.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Good for you. 
Life is too short to be completely afraid.  We live with things that can kill us everyday. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

Good for you. 
Life is too short to be completely afraid.  We live with things that can kill us everyday. 

While I do agree with this, there are rational reasons to be afraid.

While this occurred on Carnival Vista recently, I think it's germane to our discussion.  This woman got covid while on a cruise.  Was sent to a hospital in Belize, but their medical facility wasn't up to snuff.  Got very ill and they wanted to airlift her to the USA, but the cost was over $20,000.  They did an online fund raiser and got her here, where she died.  Another man on that cruise was also very ill and sent to the hospital in Belize.  Not sure what his outcome was.

We definitely don't want to be paranoid, but the risks should not be sugarcoated either.
https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/08/articles/disease/passenger-infected-with-covid-19-on-carnival-vista-and-abandoned-by-carnival-in-belize-dies-after-returning-to-u-s/?fbclid=IwAR0roq26Z9rkYB7O0EJAuB-r5W2Qs4vHAw7ScFMiwv7Q9_evzpd-2GFtkno

Edited by Stockjock

GA Dave, please accept our heartfelt condolences .  

I agree with you regarding outlook on life going forward.  We must make the most of each day and the time we have. We never know what that will be.

After spending 1 1/2 years dealing with cancer and now losing another 1 1/2 years of Covid....

I am ready to get on with living.  

We took our daughter/SIL and granddaughters to Maui this summer. First time for them and very memorable.

We have 4 cruises booked with MSC.  now that NCL is cruising out of Seattle again, may jump on last minute for another cruise to Alaska. This was a yearly tradition of ours.

We were both medical professionals and are taking all the precautions we can. Fully Vaxed with hopefully boosters in October.  

Everyone must make their own decisions regarding the risk.

But, mitigating those risks by becoming vaccinated seems like a no brainer, IMHO.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Being 57 myself, I can say that's way too young. I am sincerely sorry to read about your wife's passing, @GA Dave. I always read your posts and find them interesting, occasionally humorous (not in this case, obviously) and informative. I like your outlook on life and your realistic worldview. I do understand that not everybody's risk tolerance is the same, but I must say I feel a combination of sadness/disappointment when I read posts saying essentially that life is over due to Covid, everybody should cancel, people are crazy to travel now, and that being around someone for 5 minutes spells certain death. Our culture is suffused with fear and paranoia, much of it irrational. I read that the Brookings Institution found Americans are off by a factor of 82 in terms of the morbidity of Covid. Anyway, we've waited long enough and won't wait any more. God bless you and again, condolences on the loss of your young wife.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Debde said:

From everything I've read online Deb, I don't think we'll have to test at the pier. Of course, that could completely change several times by the time we cruise in October. It does eliminate the stress at the pier for sure, and that's what I was stressing about the most. So now it looks like we'll be testing (antigen) at Walgreens on Wednesday. We fly to Miami Thursday, and sail (fingers crossed) on Saturday.

And now, with the news out of the Bahamas this afternoon, it looks like our already crappy itinerary may be changing again.  https://disneycruiselineblog.com/2021/08/bahamas-imposing-new-restrictions-on-cruise-ships-including-stops-at-private-islands/?fbclid=IwAR0MG2TZR3N8ktr3sU0erh6bVT9mYAtC45Vy2q65dn7e9Ju5qyevM6JlHDY

• Like 1

Someone posted this in another group...

UPDATE – Sailings Departing from PortMiami and Port Canaveral

For MSC Meraviglia sailings of August 20, 2021 and August 23, 2021, our protocols remain unchanged. All not fully vaccinated guests 2 years and older must provide documentation of a negative RT-PCR, or other nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. 

Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation. Guests will be required to show their negative test result upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the testing location/provider’s name, negative result, the guest’s name, date of birth, and date and time the test was taken. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility. 

All fully vaccinated guests, 12 years and older, will be asked to present their original CDC vaccination card at the pier upon embarkation.  Photocopies or pictures of vaccination cards will not be accepted.  Guests will be considered fully vaccinated if they have received their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines (or their single dose, such as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) at least 14 days prior to the cruise.  Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated.  If you are unable or unwilling to show proof of vaccination, you must comply with the requirements for not fully vaccinated guests.

For MSC Meraviglia Sailings of August 27, 2021 and August 30, 2021, all guests 2 years and older – regardless of vaccination status – must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test. Not fully vaccinated guests must provide a negative RT-PCR test or NAAT (antigen is not accepted for guests not fully vaccinated). 

Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation. Guests will be required to show their negative test result upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the testing location/provider’s name, negative result, the guest’s name, date of birth, and date and time the test was taken. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility. 

All fully vaccinated guests, 12 years and older, will be asked to present their original CDC vaccination card at the pier upon embarkation.  Photocopies or pictures of vaccination cards will not be accepted.  Guests will be considered fully vaccinated if they have received their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines (or their single dose, such as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) at least 14 days prior to the cruise.  Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated.  If you are unable or unwilling to show proof of vaccination, you must comply with the requirements for not fully vaccinated guests.

For all MSC Meraviglia and MSC Divina Sailings beginning September 3, 2021 through and including sailings of October 31, 2021 departing from PortMiami and PortCanaveral

The Bahamas has just announced new protocols requiring any visitors (12 years and older) to be fully vaccinated.  Due to this latest requirement, MSC Cruises will now be requiring all guests 12 years and older to be fully vaccinated on all sailings beginning September 3, 2021 through and including sailings of October 31, 2021 departing from PortMiami and Port Canaveral.

All fully vaccinated guests, 12 years and older, will be asked to present their original CDC vaccination card at the pier upon embarkation.  Photocopies or pictures of vaccination cards will not be accepted.  Guests will be considered fully vaccinated if they have received their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines (or their single dose, such as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) at least 14 days prior to the cruise.  Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated.  If you are unable or unwilling to show proof of vaccination, you will be denied boarding.

All fully vaccinated guests must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test.

All not fully vaccinated guests 2 to 11 years old must provide documentation of a negative RT-PCR, or other nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost.

If you are 12 years and older and currently booked on a MSC Cruises itinerary departing from PortMiami or Port Canaveral beginning September 3, 2021 through and including sailings of October 31, 2021 and you are not fully vaccinated and will not be vaccinated 14 days prior to the cruise, you are eligible for a full refund of any funds currently on your booking.  Please contact MSC Cruises at 1-877-665-4655 if you booked directly with MSC Cruises or contact your Travel Advisor.

Edited by Stockjock

2 hours ago, jules815 said:

From everything I've read online Deb, I don't think we'll have to test at the pier. Of course, that could completely change several times by the time we cruise in October. It does eliminate the stress at the pier for sure, and that's what I was stressing about the most. So now it looks like we'll be testing (antigen) at Walgreens on Wednesday. We fly to Miami Thursday, and sail (fingers crossed) on Saturday.

And now, with the news out of the Bahamas this afternoon, it looks like our already crappy itinerary may be changing again.  https://disneycruiselineblog.com/2021/08/bahamas-imposing-new-restrictions-on-cruise-ships-including-stops-at-private-islands/?fbclid=IwAR0MG2TZR3N8ktr3sU0erh6bVT9mYAtC45Vy2q65dn7e9Ju5qyevM6JlHDY

Jules-this really stinks for you as I know you depart in October. i feel for you on this.

MSC's private island is the one spot I WANT to go to. As you know-I'm now waiting until January to even think about cruising.

Stockjock-we all knew this was coming sooner or later. Thanks for the update.

Things are changing fast. we all predicted things like this also.

I'm glad I'm waiting until all this uncertainty is ironed out.

6 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I got vaccinated in February and am now living my life to the fullest.  I have a cruise next Friday on MSC, a Universal Orlando trip with my DD, SIL, and 2 granddaughters in three weeks, and a Royal cruise in November.  No more waiting for "Covid to go away".  Life truly is too short.

So sorry for the loss of your wife. Life is too short. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family and on your upcoming cruises.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

OH NO, our Divina cruise has a 2 day stop at the private island. This would leave us literally adrift.    My DD lives and works in the Bahamas; they change their rules every other week it seems.  

I'm not sure I understand why this is a concern.

• Like 1