Having second thoughts, should we make final payment?

neptuno

With the new virus surging in Florida and the hospitals at near capacity, wondering if we should dare to cruise out of Miami?  Final payment deadline is coming up for Divina and there seems to be no end to this pandemic in the near future.  Would not like to be turned away at the pier or worse, to get sick on ship.  Maybe wait until next year?  Your thoughts?

Nobody can nor should they decide for you . That’s up to you. I sail Carnival in a couple weeks . Everyone has to be vaccinated except for some kids under 23 and everyone needs a negative test to  board. Not sure what else can be done to make you feel safe. Just use your precautions like you have the last year and a half and go. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, neptuno said:

With the new virus surging in Florida and the hospitals at near capacity, wondering if we should dare to cruise out of Miami?  Final payment deadline is coming up for Divina and there seems to be no end to this pandemic in the near future.  Would not like to be turned away at the pier or worse, to get sick on ship.  Maybe wait until next year?  Your thoughts?

In my view, it depends on when the cruise is, what you paid for it, and whether or not you could find another MSC cruise that you like which sails before 9-22-22 if you don't go on this one.

Things in your favor.

It's a USA cruise, so if you're in the USA you don't have to worry about EU restrictions or getting stranded in some EU country.

Most of these USA cruises aren't very expensive.  The Rome cruise I just cancelled was in the thousands.

You likely can keep your flights short, which should minimize the chance of contracting corona while traveling.

MSC is paying for your insurance in the USA.  On my just-cancelled European cruise, they wanted about $300 USD for the two of us.

You can cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise per Total CruiseFlex and move that money into a new cruise sailing before 9-22-22.  Do be aware that your money could be non-refundable if you don't book something new within that time frame.

There are reasons to consider cancelling.  I have a Celebrity sailing in December and so far, we are going to try to make it.  But I feel good about my decision to cancel my Europe November sailing yesterday.

Good luck!

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

I feel safer going on my cruise in 2.5 weeks than I do going to my local Wal-Mart.  I am testing the next two Fridays just for comfort sake and not going out to any public places that do not require masks before my cruise.  I am fortunate in that I work from home, and I can drive to the port, so no worries about getting it at work or on any aircraft (which are still safer than Wal-Mart).  Also, if you are already vaccinated, the chances of getting a breakthrough case are currently 0.01% to 0.29% (see quoted article below).  Those sound like pretty good odds for me as a fully vaccinated person tired of being locked down.  Life is just too short.

At the same time, a recent report on state-level data from the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) found the rate of breakthrough cases in fully vaccinated individuals is “well below 1% in all reporting states, ranging from 0.01% in Connecticut to 0.29% in Alaska”. That means breakthrough cases are very rare.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I feel safer going on my cruise in 2.5 weeks than I do going to my local Wal-Mart.  I am testing the next two Fridays just for comfort sake and not going out to any public places that do not require masks before my cruise.  I am fortunate in that I work from home, and I can drive to the port, so no worries about getting it at work or on any aircraft (which are still safer than Wal-Mart).  Also, if you are already vaccinated, the chances of getting a breakthrough case are currently 0.01% to 0.29% (see quoted article below).  Those sound like pretty good odds for me as a fully vaccinated person tired of being locked down.  Life is just too short.

At the same time, a recent report on state-level data from the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) found the rate of breakthrough cases in fully vaccinated individuals is “well below 1% in all reporting states, ranging from 0.01% in Connecticut to 0.29% in Alaska”. That means breakthrough cases are very rare.

I may be wrong, but I suspect the number of Delta variant breakthrough cases to be higher than what’s being reported.

A local San Diego band just had a concert and from what I was told, roughly 25 people at the bar contracted Covid at the event.

But if true, what’s really scary, is that I was told that all except one were fully vaccinated. Of course I don’t know for a fact that’s true, But that’s what they are saying.

Edited by Stockjock

24 minutes ago, Até said:

Vaccinated?  Health/Age?  Do you already go out to eat and do social activities?

I think this is exactly what you need to consider......

We are in fairly good health & fully vaccinated but OLD.

Waiting another year or to might not be a good option for us so we want to TRY & live a fun life now !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

I think this is exactly what you need to consider......

We are in fairly good health & fully vaccinated but OLD.

Waiting another year or to might not be a good option for us so we want to TRY & live a fun life now !

OLD is a relative term, and speaking of relatives, my 82 year old father is going on a cruise in France in two weeks, fully vaccinated. If he's fine to go, I (at 57) certainly am!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Thank you for this, Dave. It's good to get some meat on the bones, as opposed to random speculation. I was at a friend's house on Sunday and some of the people there were badly misinformed. Of course, these people all got their doctorates in epidemiology from Google University, LOL. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:25 PM, Shippy said:

....Waiting another year or to might not be a good option for us so we want to TRY & live a fun life now !

Great attitude!  Can't wait to get back on board.  It's just that Florida is such a mess right now...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neptuno said:

Great attitude!  Can't wait to get back on board.  It's just that Florida is such a mess right now...

This is how we feel. We realize we need to be super careful and not take things too casually. As we are older, not sure how much more time we have to do the things we enjoy. Keeping fingers crossed cruise will be a go in November.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:50 PM, deliver42 said:

This decision is strictly yours. Nobody knows your health situation better than you. As far as cruising goes, we're leaving on an Alaska cruise in 3 weeks, and looking forward to it. I'm 79 and my wife 70.

Enjoy Seattle😁

On 8/10/2021 at 12:30 PM, Stockjock said:

In my view, it depends on when the cruise is, what you paid for it, and whether or not you could find another MSC cruise that you like which sails before 9-22-22 if you don't go on this one.

Things in your favor.

It's a USA cruise, so if you're in the USA you don't have to worry about EU restrictions or getting stranded in some EU country.

Most of these USA cruises aren't very expensive.  The Rome cruise I just cancelled was in the thousands.

You likely can keep your flights short, which should minimize the chance of contracting corona while traveling.

MSC is paying for your insurance in the USA.  On my just-cancelled European cruise, they wanted about $300 USD for the two of us.

You can cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise per Total CruiseFlex and move that money into a new cruise sailing before 9-22-22.  Do be aware that your money could be non-refundable if you don't book something new within that time frame.

There are reasons to consider cancelling.  I have a Celebrity sailing in December and so far, we are going to try to make it.  But I feel good about my decision to cancel my Europe November sailing yesterday.

Good luck!

Where have you seen that MSC is paying for insurance in the USA? I was charged $140 pp (fully vaccinated but want insurance)

2 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Where have you seen that MSC is paying for insurance in the USA? I was charged $140 pp (fully vaccinated but want insurance)

It is on their website but it is strictly the Covid reassurance insurance policy not just the regular trip insurance.....which is probably what you bought... They say they will pay for fully vaccinated people to get it if their cruise is before the end of October.

Unvaccinated people have to have it but also have to pay for it.

1 minute ago, Shippy said:

It is on their website but it is strictly the Covid reassurance insurance policy not just the regular trip insurance.....which is probably what you bought... They say they will pay for fully vaccinated people to get it if their cruise is before the end of October.

Unvaccinated people have to have it but also have to pay for it.

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes we bought the regular trip insurance…we sail 11/7 

We are hoping that MSC extends their Covid Reassurance Insurance program for fully vaccinated cruisers.

Currently, until October 31, 2021.

Due to all the current uncertainty, would be great if they extend it to include cruises through November 30, 2021.

• Like 1

I now find myself facing the same dilemma.  Final payment is due on Friday next for our mid-October, Seashore, cruise.  At this very moment, we, as non-Schengen area residents (though EU citizens) cannot board an MSC ship.  This restriction applies until 31st August.   I’m not keen to hand over any more money to a company that is asking me to pay for something that it currently is not allowing me to avail of. 

I rang MSC today to ask if I could get an extension on this basis and was told that it’s not possible.  I can either make the payment or move the deposit to another cruise up to September next year.   Right now I am in no mood to even consider making a new booking.

While I understand that Covid is the cause of a lot of uncertainty I cannot understand why MSC is not allowing Irish citizens to cruise on their ships.  

• Like 1

I keep putting my target date with MSC out of Florida to cruise further and further ahead.

Flying to Florida and a slight possibility I could be asymptomatic or test positive at the pier worries me. IMHO this should be a concern for everyone.

We are both vaccinated.

Cruising is in its infant stages leaving Florida. I myself need to see how this goes for a few months.

I have to plan time off from work and god forbid something like that could happen and be turned away at embarkation is a risk I personally am not ready to take yet.

I don't know about your local news but here in NY it is not uplifting. I'm waiting to hear any good concrete news that the NY cruise port will even open.

Now my goal is January for MSC🥴

Bea ... They really have become the pits at the moment, other cruise lines are helping their customers where they can including ourselves with our Princess Alaska cruise but MSC are still stuck in the 1960's with their refusal to help. 

57 minutes ago, sidari said:

Bea ... They really have become the pits at the moment, other cruise lines are helping their customers where they can including ourselves with our Princess Alaska cruise but MSC are still stuck in the 1960's with their refusal to help. 

The only ways to avoid losing the €500 deposit are to either make the final payment or move it to another cruise.  I’ve decided to opt for the former as we can have the fare refunded if the restrictions aren’t lifted (or we get to go on the cruise, which would be the more desirable outcome).  There’s no way I want to move it and be tied to yet another cruise after this.

Yep.  Too many variables, including those unrelated to the virus protocols, and, too many unknowns regarding our protection levels (our own and others on the ship) at 6-8 months and then again after a booster.  Before the current variant, it was nice for a short period of time to have confidence in a highly vaccinated requirement; the # of days post final dose, etc.  Now, the "unknowns" of who on the ship is at what stage of exposure and transmission risk (i.e., a table rank like 6-months, 8-months post vaccination, who is 10-months, and will the cruise line require the boosters 'or not, etc.).

On the 1st of September a really nice Yacht Club stateroom B2B will be available again for the first two weeks in December on Seashore.  We'll eat the deposit.  😔

• Like 1

I canceled my European cruise (scheduled for October) because of all the unknowns.  My November cruise out of Miami I just made final payment for (which was due this coming Saturday anyway).  On that one I have a balcony cabin (like everyone else) and as such if ports get skipped at least I can sit there and enjoy the view.

Other than that I took out good travel insurance that covers Covid related expenses, etc.  I hope all goes well, but if not…so be it.  I traveled to Hawaii in April and was a little nervous then too but all was fabulous. Flight was great, trip was fantastic.  

PS: am getting my third Pfizer this week so hopefully that will help a little too.

Edited by Lisichka
  • Like 1