Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Interesting, (a) are dining rooms open early in the day? (b)  how do you know the table number? (c) when do you make the request?

Our experiences. 

A & C. Embarkation day. We go to the MDR when we first board that is open and speak with the staff member at the entrance that handles requests. I tell them our stateroom number and we have reservations. They verify it in their computer. If the dining room is different they tell us which one we'll be seated in. Then we find a two top in a location we like, request it and have always been accommodated. 

B. The table numbers are already on the tables.

Hopefully all that still works for us on our March 2024 Enchanted cruise. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

@Tedferg, I agree with Post #2051 (wow, that's a lot) and I wouldn't skip DR first night nor wait to inquire as I think more and more guests are getting savvy to making these requests and on some ships at least - staff are offering this to guests.  Speak to someone there during embarkation day lunch period or go early night 1.  It isn't so bad as you think.

@davekathy @Steelers36 Thanks for clarification, as I said in my Edit, we might somewhat be out luck because the cruise starts six days earlier in Vancouver. Fingers crossed that some will get off in Honolulu and also there will still be acceptable two top locations.

It is not so much the location as it is the convenience of walking straight to our table.

20 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Interesting, (a) are dining rooms open early in the day? (b)  how do you know the table number? (c) when do you make the request?

We are thinking of asking for the same table on a 20-night cruise. We have 6:40 reservations each night. First night is often a shamble so we will go to Horizon or Alfredos that night and I wonder if many tables will already be requested by first-nighters.

I am not overly concerned about which two-top, I am sure many would be fine with us.

Incidentally, we recently enjoyed a two-top each night, easy to get in and get out in time for the show but did miss sharing and meeting other people.

ETA Just occurred to me that this cruise starts six days earlier in Vancouver so this might be a moot point. Good to know for other cruises.

I agree with others, go to your MDR the first night, get there by 620 or a little early, as the first group may be finishing dinner.  

Tell them you reserved a table for 2.  If you like the table and the wait staff, talk to the DRO or hostess up front about keeping it the whole 20nights.  They can check that one or another that might be available.  It does take a few nights to get everybody settled and then you still have to checkin with your medallion when you arrive and go to your table.  Eventually, they just check you in as the see you coming.  On the Enchanted, the DRO, said don’t stand in line anymore, just go to your table after about 3 days, if they ask, just tell them I know the maitre’d!  😀

Some say they scout out the table they

want and ask for it.  I’ve never been lucky doing that, either DRO not present on embarkation lunch or different MDR, etc.  So, we just ask 1st night.

Works every time for us.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

PacNGoNow - might be worth changing our first night reservation to an earlier slot than 6:40. Though with six nights ahead of us from Vancouver this could be moot.

Is it full from YVR?  Sometimes, I’ve heard guests ask for a two top and the DRO told them, I can get your time at another MDR for the whole cruise. So that’s an option too.

We’ve just gone the time we want and been able to get a private table. But, we do eat early.  
Last cruise (1st nite) we liked a specific 2 top and asked if we could keep it.  The DRO said, yes as long as your finished about 630, as another couple had it promised from the previous cruise at 640pm.  We had plenty of time, as we don’t usually do dessert or linger for coffee/tea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Is it full from YVR?  Sometimes, I’ve heard guests ask for a two top and the DRO told them, I can get your time at another MDR for the whole cruise. So that’s an option too.

We’ve just gone the time we want and been able to get a private table. But, we do eat early.  
Last cruise (1st nite) we liked a specific 2 top and asked if we could keep it.  The DRO said, yes as long as your finished about 630, as another couple had it promised from the previous cruise at 640pm.  We had plenty of time, as we don’t usually do dessert or linger for coffee/tea.

Looks pretty full, I guess you can only tell by looking at available cabins and there are several options Vancouver to Hawaii, Vancouver to Auckland, Vancouver to Sidney, Seattle to Auckland, Seattle to Sydney. Looking at Vancouver to Honolulu there is a sprinkling of cabins available and of course no way to tell how many will debark in Honolulu. We have 6:40 in Concerto every evening and to repeat, most two tops we had on recent Regent cruise would be OK with us.

I did wonder what happens if you walk to your table and previous diner has not finished.

7 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Looks pretty full, I guess you can only tell by looking at available cabins and there are several options Vancouver to Hawaii, Vancouver to Auckland, Vancouver to Sidney, Seattle to Auckland, Seattle to Sydney. Looking at Vancouver to Honolulu there is a sprinkling of cabins available and of course no way to tell how many will debark in Honolulu. We have 6:40 in Concerto every evening and to repeat, most two tops we had on recent Regent cruise would be OK with us.

I did wonder what happens if you walk to your table and previous diner has not finished.

Could happen, maybe on Formal nights, some take a little longer.  But, we had it happen once, DRO just found another table that night.  Rest of the cruise still had the same original table. 

You’ll just have to see how it plays out.

Best of luck.

15 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Could happen, maybe on Formal nights, some take a little longer.  But, we had it happen once, DRO just found another table that night.  Rest of the cruise still had the same original table. 

You’ll just have to see how it plays out.

Best of luck.

I wonder how many times they turn a table on average. If they allow an hour and a half for an average sitting, then they would only turn it twice and so holding a table open half an hour for a 7:00 reservation after 5:00 or 5:30 first sitting is not such a big deal. I had thought tthat reservations would cause a lot of wasted space.

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I wonder how many times they turn a table on average. If they allow an hour and a half for an average sitting, then they would only turn it twice and so holding a table open half an hour for a 7:00 reservation after 5:00 or 5:30 first sitting is not such a big deal. I had thought tthat reservations would cause a lot of wasted space.

I think they turn about 1.5 hours with a 10 min grace, if it’s full.  There aren’t as many 2 tops so they really turn those as quickly as possible.  

I think the reservations every 20 mins is a little ridiculous.  Seems a lot more difficult for the DRO.  JMO 

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I think they turn about 1.5 hours with a 10 min grace, if it’s full.  There aren’t as many 2 tops so they really turn those as quickly as possible.  

I think the reservations every 20 mins is a little ridiculous.  Seems a lot more difficult for the DRO.  JMO 

I think they are just trying to stagger arrivals at the host/hostess station.  Easier than trying to seat 200 tables at once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

53 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I think they are just trying to stagger arrivals at the host/hostess station.  Easier than trying to seat 200 tables at once.

I believe most restaurants work with every 15 minutes, so minutes seems easier.

Sharing a portion of @Coral's recent post on Alaska 2025 release./news.  Next week's Carmen Roig seminar has new news about dining and added value to Plus/Premier packages with no price increase.  I want to tune in for this:

Webinar: Thurs., Jul 27 – 11am PT/2pm ET 
Join us next Thursday for a very important webinar that hits on two of my favorite topics. Princess Plus and Alaska. You know "It Pays to Plus," but did you know our cruise packages are soon going to be an even bigger value – and there’s no cost increase! Plus, we're evolving our dining program and making some key service changes on board that you’ll want to share so your clients get the most out of their Princess cruise. 

What is coming in way of change for dining?  What will improve - we hope!!

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 3:36 PM, Steelers36 said:

Sharing a portion of @Coral's recent post on Alaska 2025 release./news.  Next week's Carmen Roig seminar has new news about dining and added value to Plus/Premier packages with no price increase.  I want to tune in for this:

Webinar: Thurs., Jul 27 – 11am PT/2pm ET 
Join us next Thursday for a very important webinar that hits on two of my favorite topics. Princess Plus and Alaska. You know "It Pays to Plus," but did you know our cruise packages are soon going to be an even bigger value – and there’s no cost increase! Plus, we're evolving our dining program and making some key service changes on board that you’ll want to share so your clients get the most out of their Princess cruise. 

What is coming in way of change for dining?  What will improve - we hope!!

Where can we watch this?

next cruise is in about 6 weeks Island Princess - we booked late and I can't make dining reservations for two before 8.20 which is really late for us. Can we make reservations on board for a time that suites us? If so when and where? - I know we can just turn up without reservations and get shared table - or go when the first show starts to usually get a two topper. Don't mind being at a different table or even dining room.

6 hours ago, Catchum said:

next cruise is in about 6 weeks Island Princess - we booked late and I can't make dining reservations for two before 8.20 which is really late for us. Can we make reservations on board for a time that suites us? If so when and where? - I know we can just turn up without reservations and get shared table - or go when the first show starts to usually get a two topper. Don't mind being at a different table or even dining room.

When you first board the ship go to the MDR that is open and speak with the staff member at the entrance that handles requests. Ask for a time and table size you like. Our requests have always been accommodated. Never hurts to ask. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

When you first board the ship go to the MDR that is open and speak with the staff member at the entrance that handles requests. Ask for a time and table size you like. Our requests have always been accommodated. Never hurts to ask. 

Just be aware that if 2,000 people all want to eat at 6:00 there is no way the can all be accommodated 

First time princess cruiser. I keep seeing that you can order food and drinks from the app to be delivered wherever you are on the boat. If you have princess plus is this free or is there a fee for "room" service? Sorry if this has been answered but this thread is very long and I haven't been able to find it.

12 minutes ago, e3c1f4 said:

First time princess cruiser. I keep seeing that you can order food and drinks from the app to be delivered wherever you are on the boat. If you have princess plus is this free or is there a fee for "room" service? Sorry if this has been answered but this thread is very long and I haven't been able to find it.

There is no fee to order using Princess App on the ship.  Doesn't matter if you have one of the cruise fare packages or not.  The wait staff find you by location of your Medallion and using face recognition once close by. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

There is no fee to order using Princess App on the ship.  Doesn't matter if you have one of the cruise fare packages or not.  The wait staff find you by location of your Medallion and using face recognition once close by. 

You can hope they find you. In a crowded area could be fun. I also see waiters walking around calling out names. No thanks I just walk to a bar and order

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e3c1f4 said:

If you have a plus package,  your drinks under the limit will be no charge.  Most food is included for everyone,  but there are some upcharge items. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was the fun part of the app onboard.  It seemed that room service drinks were not included in my package ... but I ordered whatever I wanted delivered to the room and there was no extra 'outside the package' charge.  On my birthday, I ordered sparkling wine, chocolate cake and milk about 10pm, that was fun; they were amazingly quick.  The power of a smile, a sincere thank you and a nice tip never fails to amaze me.