Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

34 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We just did 63 days on Grand Princess and only had a prix fixe meal one time. We ate in Alfredo's and it was entirely too much food. We were each served the appetizer and our own pizza and they seemed unhappy when didn't finish the pizzas and left without having dessert. We would much rather simply share one pizza. Alfredo's was most often a wasteland of empty space. We saw people enquire at the entrance and, when they were told the cost for a pizza, they usually walked away. We were encouraged to have the offering in Vines but, again, we simply don't want that much food.

On the Crown they let us share one charcuterie plate at Vines. That was plenty of food

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, lstone19 said:

I always find these comments interesting as they suppose that it is the ship, a collection of inanimate steel and other materials, that is making the decisions rather than the ship's company. A ship is only as good as  its leadership. With the right senior leadership, any ship can be great; with the wrong senior leadership, any ship can be bad.

We've been on four cruises on Regal Princess. The first two, less than five month apart, with the same captain and much of the same other hotel department leaders, were great. The last two, well after those first two, with the same different captain for both and almost entirely different hotel department leaders who were largely invisible, had noticeable issues even before we left the embarkation port. It is the leaders that determine if a cruise will be good or bad, not the ship itself.

Absolutely agree.  If I may add, while the Captain (Master of the vessel) is in charge, the Hotel Manager is a great influence on all food plus tidying up the staterooms.  Lastly, the length of service of the on board crew seems to make or break the experience.  On a previous sailing, the majority of the crew had been on the vessel over six (6) month and worked seemlessly together.  In the MDR I noticed communication without a word, just a point or facial expression from the wait person to the assistant wait person really got things done.  I always first check in at the MDR before visiting my stateroom to see where my table is located, then ask for the most seasoned service team.  That trio elevates my dining experience.  If I cannot score a seasoned and trained team, I just do a "bang band", which is grazing at more than one restaurant.  For example, get a nibble whilst dressing from room service.  Next wine at Vines, grab 1-2 tapas, followed by a dash through the buffet grabbing something and dining by the pool.  Makes it fun and the best of a situation.

Marne, the Cruisin' Fool

Sailing since 1967 where I caught the 'cruise virus'. 

There is no cure, only treatment - another cruise.

The worst day at sea beats the best day on land.

We will be enjoying the SKY PRINCESS and all it has to offer, the week of Jan 13th.  One of our traveling party is having minor issues with acid reflux if she eats after 530 pm.  Fine otherwise.   We are trying to decide which of the 3 MDR's to choose from and an appropriate Dinner time.  ANY suggestions are appreciated, and thanks in advance.🚢

48 minutes ago, Cruising in my mind said:

We will be enjoying the SKY PRINCESS and all it has to offer, the week of Jan 13th.  One of our traveling party is having minor issues with acid reflux if she eats after 530 pm.  Fine otherwise.   We are trying to decide which of the 3 MDR's to choose from and an appropriate Dinner time.  ANY suggestions are appreciated, and thanks in advance.🚢

Does not matter which DR you choose.  On day 1, show up early and ask if you can have your table blocked for entire cruise.  Did anyone try booking in DMW using web version or Princess App?

On 12/2/2023 at 8:22 PM, suzyed said:

Same experience the last time we sailed.  The most amount of table occupied at any given time was 6. This whole prix fixe for a fee scheme is nonsense.

Do you think there is any chance they will scrap the new system and go back to the old included one?

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you think there is any chance they will scrap the new system and go back to the old included one?

I doubt it. When Alfredo’s was included we had over an hour wait to get a table on a sea day on the Discovery. That was really the only included casual venue all others always had a charge unless you count the tiny tapas at Vines

On 12/5/2023 at 9:07 AM, Cruising in my mind said:

We just finished a 6 segment "cruise" that totaled 63 days. I was able to use the app to book 5:40 dining in the same dining room every night for the entire cruise. If I had requested 5:00 PM or 5:15 PM or 5:30 PM I really doubt I would have had a problem. Booking later can be an issue though.

56 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We just finished a 6 segment "cruise" that totaled 63 days. I was able to use the app to book 5:40 dining in the same dining room every night for the entire cruise. If I had requested 5:00 PM or 5:15 PM or 5:30 PM I really doubt I would have had a problem. Booking later can be an issue though.

Thanks so much for the info, we are looking so forward to this cruise, and I for one especially the MDR on previous cruises.

On 12/5/2023 at 12:07 PM, Cruising in my mind said:

We will be enjoying the SKY PRINCESS and all it has to offer, the week of Jan 13th. 

Hi CruisingIMM! We’ll be cruising with you guys. First cruise on Princess, so we’re so excited! Safe travels from Minnesota!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 3:21 AM, terrierjohn said:

No, I don't think they will. When it was free of charge, it was hectic and they were also making less money. Even only a few customers at once gives them that cash grab they're desperate for. However, I have heard that the crew that work at Alfredo's are quite worried about their jobs, especially with the amount of people showing up.

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, it's menu items cost a la carte or prix fix option.  Plus cruise fare guests can visit 2X per voyage free for any of the casual dining locations.  Unlimited visits for Premier.

edited: answered my own question, thank you!

Edited by Iwork2trav

On 12/6/2023 at 10:38 PM, Thrak said:

I agree, but does anyone know why definitively?  Are the later times far more popular and that's why you find it difficult to book one, or do Princess hold them back?

Edited by terrierjohn

On 12/12/2023 at 2:58 AM, space27 said:

No, I don't think they will. When it was free of charge, it was hectic and they were also making less money. Even only a few customers at once gives them that cash grab they're desperate for. However, I have heard that the crew that work at Alfredo's are quite worried about their jobs, especially with the amount of people showing up.

They could manage this by limiting the number of free meals you can have per cruise. The current system with such small numbers, can only be providing a small revenue stream, but it it must be putting extra strain on the MDRs, as well as leaving the Alfredo staff under utilised.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree, but does anyone know why definitively?  Are the later times far more popular and that's why you find it difficult to book one, or do Princess hold them back?

I think most folks just don't want to eat early. On cruises that aren't mainly US passengers one will see comments about "Americans eating really early" whereas "Continentals" tend to each much later. On a ship we use to like 7:00 - 7:30 dining but, since they moved to two short shows each evening rather than one longer show we have switched to 5:40 dining so we can make the early show. (My wife no longer wants to "wait up" for the late show. As we have been married for 51 years I have no issue with "Yes, Dear". 😉)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 12/7/2023 at 7:42 PM, dixiejen said:

Hi CruisingIMM! We’ll be cruising with you guys. First cruise on Princess, so we’re so excited! Safe travels from Minnesota!

Thanks, safe travels to you too, hope to see you...enjoy your first Princess voyage, the best in the business, in my humble opinion.   FOUR WEEKS from tomorrow..

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 9:57 AM, Steelers36 said:

Does not matter which DR you choose.  On day 1, show up early and ask if you can have your table blocked for entire cruise.  Did anyone try booking in DMW using web version or Princess App?

My wife and I are sailing on the Crown Princess in four weeks.  We like to eat early and at a table for 2 ("private table").  I have tried to use the Dine My Way function on the Medallion App to take care of this, but when I try the "Reserve Same Time" function it gives me nothing earlier than 8 PM.  When I try to book separate reservations for each night, it only gives me an early private table option on two of the ten cruise nights.  Based on what I read in this thread above, I went to Princess website and logged in only with my reservation number, which didn't do anything other than refer me to the app.  I then removed the Medallion App from my phone and downloaded whatever passes for the current Princess app, but it didn't give me any new Dine My Way functionality or options.

So I guess I will just show up early on the sail away day at one of the dining rooms -- without a reservation -- and try to get a table for two.  I assume I will succeed, even if have to wait awhile.   And then I will tell them on the way out that I would like same time/same table the rest of the cruise.  Does this make sense?  Any other suggestions?  BTW, I just turned Elite last cruise, don't know if that will help at all.

• Like 1

I've done just that several times, including on the Crown.

I'd try it in Botticelli. Take those two available reservations (hopefully one is for the first or second day) and try as you describe, though I usually do it midway through the meal as opposed to on the way out, when it's likely to be more chaotic at the entrance.

Your description of the reservation availability for four weeks out sounds familiar. It's the dining reservation system failure more than the app or website. All are kind of broken, though.

I doubt elite status matters in this instance, gentle modesty and respect while communicating with the head waiter and front table employees being more important.

walkingsoon

• Like 2

12 hours ago, shipsahoy54 said:

On the Discovery Princess where is the Elite members happy hour located.

Eligible guests will have a printed notice in the cabin with the times and location for each day of the voyage.  It typically includes if there is a theme to the provided noshes.

13 hours ago, shipsahoy54 said:

On the Discovery Princess where is the Elite members happy hour located.

There should be a welcome aboard letter similar to this one with your embarkation paperwork with those details.

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Eligible guests will have a printed notice in the cabin with the times and location for each day of the voyage.  It typically includes if there is a theme to the provided noshes.

Apparently, they have decided to do away with the themes, so all of the previously-themed drinks and a wider selection of delectable delights are available every evening.

HTH!

PrincessEliteWelcomeAboardletter.thumb.jpg.0fce3451871cf6162d09d722df88a858.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 3:20 PM, Kay S said:

Maybe a lot more than you think.   Meeting new people and having a week or more to get to know them is central to our cruising pleasure.  We have met people we still call friends.  Ruining TD is ruining a big part of cruising for traditional cruisers like us.  We are prepared to take our business (and our loyalty) elsewhere.

I don't understand why people put their eggs all in one basket and think the cruise line actually cares if you are loyal or not. For every person who leaves Princess there is one coming from Celebrity who feels they can no longer can sail with them. Business models changes. Ships change. Last time I booked traditional dining was in 2006. The dining room was empty every night except formal night.This was about the time they started Anytime dining and people who booked traditional thought they could bounce back and forth all week. Traditional is no longer working. How much longer before they do away with all MDR meals and only offer the Buffet with the basic fare and turn those MDRs into pay for specialty dining?