Over two dozen carnival crew members test positive for Covid-19 on Carnival vista

12 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

This is where the phrase "lies, damn lies, and statistics" comes into play. Both sides can cherry pick numbers to support their beliefs. 

It is absolutely true that just under 37 million people have officially tested positive. However, if you actually believe that number, then well over 1% of people who have contracted Covid have died from it. And if we take it one step further, that means without vaccines or other protective measures we would expect almost 5 million more deaths in the US before it's over.

Hopefully you don't believe either of those numbers, which also means your first number may be a true statistic, but that the statistic itself is fundamentally flawed when it comes determining how many people have actually had Covid.

36897983 is a real number. 634698 is a real number. No statistics involved. But those numbers are since day 1.

Current CDC numbers for a 7 day average are 377 deaths and 7707 hospitalizations and 89977 cases. But since deaths lag cases, it will be 2-3 weeks before deaths from current new cases are realized. That where we can really lie with statistics.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

36897983 is a real number. 634698 is a real number. No statistics involved. But those numbers are since day 1.

Since those numbers are data points, they are statistics. And if you do the math 1% of 36.8M is 368k. If 1% is 368k and we have had 634k death, then well this has much larger than a 1% mortality rate.

The reality is that many more people have caught Covid than have been documented with positive tests. It is a case where 2 very real and valid numbers provide a very misleading piece of information.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brew12 said:

Since those numbers are data points, they are statistics. And if you do the math 1% of 36.8M is 368k. If 1% is 368k and we have had 634k death, then well this has much larger than a 1% mortality rate.

The reality is that many more people have caught Covid than have been documented with positive tests. It is a case where 2 very real and valid numbers provide a very misleading piece of information.

It IS much higher than 1% cumulative.

It is likely more people have had covid, but the reality is you can't prove how many. It is likely more people have died from covid, but we can't prove how many. You have to go with what you can prove. Otherwise it is lies, damn lies, and statistics.

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

That's what it's looking like for me too. And I can't find ANY corroborating  news stories from any news source, and I've been looking. 

The referenced site of the source of the information is notorious for these kinds of salacious posts.

3 hours ago, asalligo said:

The two percent of the fully vaccinated Carnival Vista crew that currently have the virus would appear to refute this point. I am just saying that people are believing in this vaccine because they want to, not because the data supports it. I understand why. You took it, so you really do not want it to turn out to be worthless. I am afraid that will be the consensus in a few years. 

IF the data is correct, as mentioned the source despises the cruise industry 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, coaster said:

Thanks. So a positive pax now too.

The ship arrived this morning from Roatan, Honduras, with 27 positive cases of COVID-19: all but one being a crew member.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

There is a huge lack of evidence that people who have previously been infected would benefit from it. The evidence also becomes increasingly shaky by the day that those who were at low risk in the first place, are actually benefitting from it. The CDC's lack of counting breakthrough cases is just an attempt to further fudge the data in favor of vaccination.

Bingo!   Spot on! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Considering that the CDC doesn't even count breakthrough vaccinated cases anymore, there appears to be no need to assign any vaccinated cruise any status. It seems these days that these labels are only to attack, smear, and create fear for the unvaccinated.

I believe the CDC isn’t monitoring all breakthrough cases but are focusing on and monitoring any that have required hospitalizations or deaths.

4 hours ago, asalligo said:

The two percent of the fully vaccinated Carnival Vista crew that currently have the virus would appear to refute this point. I am just saying that people are believing in this vaccine because they want to, not because the data supports it. I understand why. You took it, so you really do not want it to turn out to be worthless. I am afraid that will be the consensus in a few years. 

I haven’t seen anywhere where the 2% of these crewmembers are hospitalized or died. If they in fact have caught the virus and the vaccine is doing exactly what it was created to do. Reduce transmission, reduce severity of sickness and minimize the risk of death. And I really don’t understand why you want to deny this reality. 

• Like 5