Room upgrade offer

Gunther1

9 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

Do upsells generally offer a choice of cabins? I took an upsell to a Neptune Suite a few years ago and I don't remember whether I had a choice. If we are offered an upsell from our Signature Suite to a NS on our next cruise I wouldn't take it if we didn't know which cabin we were getting.

I thnk you have to ask.  I always do and always have been given a list of cabins to choose from.  Only exception was once there was only one cabin left, so I had to take that one!

38 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

Do upsells generally offer a choice of cabins? I took an upsell to a Neptune Suite a few years ago and I don't remember whether I had a choice. If we are offered an upsell from our Signature Suite to a NS on our next cruise I wouldn't take it if we didn't know which cabin we were getting.

Yes - at least in my experience.  I’ve always been given cabin numbers available to choose from.  Like you, I wouldn’t if I didn’t know the cabin.  I am not interested in an unknown cabin upsell.

• 2 months later...

I realize this is an older thread, but I just want to add that anyone can call HAL Inventory at any time and ask about available upsells.

We have done this - usually about a month to two weeks before sailing, before we received any notices - and on two different sailings went from a VF Balcony to a SB Neptune(both cruises NA to Alaska) for about $150pp.

However, tried this for our Mexico cruise on the Koningsdam leaving tomorrow, and all we were offered was a Vista from a VB balcony for $99pp.. passed as it was not much of an upgrade from our VB(one with the big balcony on Deck 4), this with lots of Signature and Neptune availability. So I guess we got really lucky.. twice, and it was much appreciated.

Edited by cattman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cattman said:

I realize this is an older thread, but I just want to add that anyone can call HAL Inventory at any time and ask about available upsells.

We have done this - usually about a month to two weeks before sailing, before we received any notices - and on two different sailings went from a VF Balcony to a SB Neptune(both cruises NA to Alaska) for about $150pp.

However, tried this for our Mexico cruise on the Koningsdam leaving tomorrow, and all we were offered was a Vista from a VB balcony for $99pp.. passed as it was not much of an upgrade from our VB(one with the big balcony on Deck 4), this with lots of Signature and Neptune availability. So I guess we got really lucky.. twice, and it was much appreciated.

You got incredibly lucky with that upsell to the Neptune.  Was this a few years ago?  I have called and have never gotten anywhere.  I did the koningsdam in November.  One week in a vb like yourself but I took an upsell for $220 Canadian to a vista for the second week.  The balcony was about 1/2 the size of the vb.  There was a lot of vibration in the room and they stewards left a lot to be desired.  I should have saved the money and stayed in the vb.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

Actually, we leave in two days, after a night in SD..

And yes, we were extremely lucky, especially to have struck gold twice. This was three years ago, before the SB's aboard the NA were reclassified as SA's, and SB's were the only category of Neptune suites offered for upsell at that time. Both cabins directly across from the Lounge..*sigh*.. first HAL cruise since, wife is really gonna miss the free-flowing lattes and breakfast in the Pinnnacle..

We are in VB 4156, the cabin with the huge balcony next to the crew staircase. TA comped us Club Orange.. so it's all good. Plan to spend a lot of time on that big balcony.. if the vibration isn't too bad, that is 😏

Edited by cattman

6 hours ago, cattman said:

Actually, we leave in two days, after a night in SD..

And yes, we were extremely lucky, especially to have struck gold twice. This was three years ago, before the SB's aboard the NA were reclassified as SA's, and SB's were the only category of Neptune suites offered for upsell at that time. Both cabins directly across from the Lounge..*sigh*.. first HAL cruise since, wife is really gonna miss the free-flowing lattes and breakfast in the Pinnnacle..

We are in VB 4156, the cabin with the huge balcony next to the crew staircase. TA comped us Club Orange.. so it's all good. Plan to spend a lot of time on that big balcony.. if the vibration isn't too bad, that is 😏

I was in 4171 and it was as smooth as can be so I’m sure it will be great.  I moved to 4213 I think and there was a lot of vibration.  I loved club orange but mostly just did breakfast.  I did a couple dinners in there and they were excellent.  Have a wonderful time!  So jealous.

17 hours ago, cattman said:

Good suggestion.  Do you have a number for inventory control?

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 11:16 PM, cattman said:

We just disembarked Koningsdam this morning. We ate most of our meals in Club Orange. The staff was fantastic! Kasama the hostess, Tazir the Asst. Maitre d’, and Marga the waiter all spoiled my son Jordan who has Down Syndrome. Tell them we said ‘hi’…

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 4:02 PM, cattman said:

Can HAL inventory control help if the reservation is made through a TA? Or must upgrades go through the TA?

On 8/12/2021 at 4:30 PM, Mary229 said:

I have never gotten an upsell offer before final payment date.  I have gotten an upgrade as late as at the dock.  

We received an upgrade upon checking in at the dock on our Antarctica cruise.  My brother and SIL received one a few years earlier at the dock.  There is always hope.  We also have obtained upsells once the ship has left the dock.