Ward Cove Ketchikan

Cruiser933

The Alaska season was essentially scrubbed for 2021, so it seemed.  Then, hey! They modified the Jones Act to allow for no stop in Canada.  Let’s go.

Now, we haven’t finished the Ward Cove project.  But the pier is open and can handle our mega ship.  NCLH has sunk millions into this project.

But with short notice, did they get in the shuttles they needed to handle the job?

I am guessing no.  I am hoping they have something planned for the future.

You can’t just make something happen in SE Alaska.  You need transportation?  More than what’s here already?  Put it on a boat and bring it in.

They need shuttles for the future - electric, not solar (in the rainiest place).  Or a rail line.  But we’ll still be getting some fuel burning vehicle, I imagine.  Hopefully, not the monster buses shown in recent photos.  

It’s like Disneyworld rides - slow loaders make for longer rides. 

I’d like to believe that they will have a better system when AK Cruise Season 2022 opens.  

Then I would decide if the “disaster of Ward Cove” is enough to keep me from NCL AK in the future.

…. or if it just gets me to buy their port excursions in this town.

Did you notice someone on a non-NCL shore excursion got picked up at the port?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, alohayall said:

Yes, I was on the 8/7 sailing. I had pre-booked a tour with a private vendor and they were outstanding. Our Seaplane tour coordinated with us on our flight time since our cruise ship arrived 1 1/2 hours late, picked us up at Ward Cove, dropped us in Ketchikan after the tour, and later took us back to the ship. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alohayall said:

The Alaska season was essentially scrubbed for 2021, so it seemed.  Then, hey! They modified the Jones Act to allow for no stop in Canada.  Let’s go.

Now, we haven’t finished the Ward Cove project.  But the pier is open and can handle our mega ship.  NCLH has sunk millions into this project.

But with short notice, did they get in the shuttles they needed to handle the job?

You can’t just make something happen in SE Alaska.  You need transportation?  More than what’s here already?  Put it on a boat and bring it in.

They need shuttles for the future - electric, not solar (in the rainiest place).  Or a rail line.  But we’ll still be getting some fuel burning vehicle, I imagine.  Hopefully, not the monster buses shown in recent photos.  

I’d like to believe that they will have a better system when AK Cruise Season 2022 opens.  

Then I would decide if the “disaster of Ward Cove” is enough to keep me from NCL AK in the future.

They did have to fly in shuttle/bus drivers from Juneau just to staff the Ketchikan shuttles.  I thought that was interesting.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alohayall said:

Were you on the cruise?

On 8/17/2021 at 8:45 AM, wacruiselover said:

From years of observation I would put people into four categories. When they see a partially full glass, some will say:

·        - "The glass is half full" – others will say,

·         - "The glass is half empty" – still others,

·        -   "I ordered a cheeseburger!" And I like to be the one who says,

·         -  "There are refreshments? Cool!"

Looking forward to that drink onboard! 😀

Makes me think of my favorite poem I learned in elementary school...

An optimist fell ten stories and at each window bar,

He shouted to his friends "Alright so far!"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Better than tendering.... which is the alternative

Bird, thanks for all the other fantastic posts on/after your Aug 7 cruise.

What do you think will happen to the Oct cruises when there are no other ships in Ketchikan.

Ward Cove still?

1 hour ago, odie1024 said:

We were on the Jewel in Sept. 2019 and did not tender in Ketchikan.

We've been to Ketchikan several times and never tendered.  Ketchikan is our favorite port.  We loved we could take an excursion and then walk around town observing the salmon running up river.  This last cruise where we docked at Ward Cove we only had time to either take our excursion or cancel the excursion and explore Ketchikan.  So disappointed. We will still cruise NCL but not on any ship that docks at Ward Cove.  We may have to jump ship and cruise other cruise lines to Alaska.     

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DanMartin8602 said:

What do you think will happen to the Oct cruises when there are no other ships in Ketchikan.

Ward Cove still?

Yes. They are using the port now with no ships docked downtown. 

On 8/16/2021 at 10:43 PM, Old & Retired said:

The 8 bucks is insignificant.  Just twisting the knife.  The major issue is 4000-5000 people stranded 7 miles from town and having to stand around and wait, possibly hours, for a 20 minute bus ride into town.  Then wait and take a 20 minute bus ride back from town.  This will cut down on the actual port time by hours.  If you don't think that is a big deal then so be it.  Lots of us do.

There were only 2400 on board

NCL goofed on this one.  They didn't understand what makes Ketchikan so special to cruisers. We can complain but it's not going to change anything. It is what is, there's no going back. NCL spent a lot of money on the dock.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DanMartin8602 said:

Ward Cove still?

NCL still docks at AJ in Juneau with no other ships in town.  So yes, NCL will use the disaster called Ward Cove even with Ketchikan empty of any other ships.

3 hours ago, minnievanmommie said:

There were only 2400 on board

Yes, we know.  The point is the normal capacity of the Encore is 4000 plus crew.  Imagine that many packed into the disaster known as Ward Cove.  Things are only going to get worse there.

Edited by Old & Retired
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

Yes, we know.  The point is the normal capacity of the Encore is 4000 plus crew.  Imagine that many packed into the disaster known as Ward Cove.  Things are only going to get worse there.

Double trouble: 

NCLH has a 30-year preferential berthing agreement with Ward Cove Dock Group. The new pier can simultaneously accommodate two of Norwegian Cruise Line’s Breakaway Plus class ships. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 8:35 PM, Old & Retired said:

The gondola does not take you to town.  It simply transports you from the new, out in the wilderness dock, to the cannery.  From there it is still a 1.5 mile walk or for-fee bus ride into town.

well yes I suppose you are right but I technically meant it takes you away from the pier to the beginning area of shops and beach.  Actually the town which is about a mile away is nothing to get excited about.

The area around the ships with shop and watching the zipline is the nicest.  But do take a walk halfway to town and see the Eagles up in the trees.

We have 3 Alaskan cruises booked...and all of them have very short port times in Ketchikan. 

@BirdTravels and @minnievanmommie...any thoughts from one or both of you:  if this will be NCL's new "home" pier in Ketchikan and they'll get top priority...why are their actual port times are so short there...?   (I think we arrive around 7 am, then depart around 1 pm.)

And any thoughts on whether they'll eventually extend the times...? 

2 minutes ago, Yo Adrienne said:

We have 3 Alaskan cruises booked...and all of them have very short port times in Ketchikan. 

@BirdTravels and @minnievanmommie...any thoughts from one or both of you:  if this will be NCL's new "home" pier in Ketchikan and they'll get top priority...why are their actual port times are so short there...?   (I think we arrive around 7 am, then depart around 1 pm.)

And any thoughts on whether they'll eventually extend the times...? 

I'm guessing that most of it is determined by the NCL shore excursion logistics (i.e. time and duration that works out).  We're hearing from those who love to walk the town and shop.  There are many others who would rather be cruising more.

• Like 1