Is tipping in cash still preferred by cruise staff ?

runningtide

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Not our experiences and so far we've never had to do it to ensure a good table. Apparently being polite and requesting a two top in a certain location we prefer for the entire cruise in the MDR (MTD) has always been good enough and has always worked for us.  

Completely agree, treat the person with respect and being nice always has worked for me,

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Just grabbed a couple of cukes from the "bucket farm" on my patio, gonna slice those bad boys up add tomato's, feta cheese and balsamic, together with a glass or 4 of sauvignon blanc, I am good to go!

Now we’re talkin…👍

Edited by PTC DAWG

2 minutes ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

I worked as a server for several decades through school and into my early adult life, so I get tipping. I never remove the auto-grat from my folio, and we usually tip extra at the end of the trip, particularly to the cabin attendant and often to our MDR server if we've had a particularly great experience with the same team all week. We also usually drop a couple bucks to bartenders, even though we're on the drink package. All in all, I think I'm a pretty generous tipper (for a Canadian).

I hate HATE HATE tipping baggage porters. They literally handle my bags for 10 feet, wheeling them from the desk to the cage. As with others, I acknowledge the hostage situation this really is, and I sheepishly give them a $10 or $20 to ensure safe transit of my luggage. 

I would say, unequivocally, that the baggage transfer part is my absolute least favorite part of a cruise vacation. Worse than packing, worse than sitting in the middle row of a charter airplane... I hate the entitled, gangster attitudes of these guys. The cruise lines would do much better by their passengers by outlawing these racketeers.

/rant

I totally get where you are coming from on baggage handler tips!  Many of them are union employees, who make a darn good income, have great pensions and can retire earlier than most.  That being said, I still my apparently cheap $2.00/bag whether at airport or cruise terminal, kind of as an insurance of sorts.  Though maybe on my next cruise I will ask if the handler is in a union (I am not bashing unions, my dad was a lifetime welder with GE) and see how well that flies.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I carry $20s in my wallet.  Does @Pinboy expect the porters to make change?

You didn't get my humor about the " Bag " -- Re-read it.

And , Yes I expect change if I hand the porter a US $100 bill --- ( LOL ) -- but, not if it's a Canadian $100.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

You didn't get my humor about the " Bag " -- Re-read it.

And , Yes I expect change if I hand the porter a US $100 bill --- ( LOL ) -- but, not if it's a Canadian $100.

Yea i got it.  When I travel I might have a $100 bill.  But $20 also.  My bank gives me stacks of $1 for the work vending machine.  I could take some of those for tips.

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Yea i got it.  When I travel I might have a $100 bill.  But $20 also.  My bank gives me stacks of $1 for the work vending machine.  I could take some of those for tips.

You still don't understand ---

" unless the " Bag " is around my age ( LOL ) !!!!! "

• Like 1

Years ago we  were leaving the ship at Port Everglades  and doing the walk towards customs.  I went over to check out some motorcycles being loaded on the ship for the next cruise.  Looked in the water and saw two pieces of luggage floating.  From that point on, I make sure I tip generously and try to be nice to them despite some  attitudes.  Often it seems that they feel they are doing us a favor in taking our bags.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keesar said:

Years ago we  were leaving the ship at Port Everglades  and doing the walk towards customs.  I went over to check out some motorcycles being loaded on the ship for the next cruise.  Looked in the water and saw two pieces of luggage floating.  From that point on, I make sure I tip generously and try to be nice to them despite some  attitudes.  Often it seems that they feel they are doing us a favor in taking our bags.  

Are you trying to convince me to provide an UBER tip of $5/piece of luggage?

54 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Are you trying to convince me to provide an UBER tip of $5/piece of luggage?

Reach into your wad of $1 dollar bills and give the UBER driver a total tip of $5.  Then, give a minimum of $3 per bag in more $1 dollar bills.   When you give someone $1 dollar bills, it seems that you are actually giving more  💲

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

Reach into your wad of $1 dollar bills and give the UBER driver a total tip of $5.  Then, give a minimum of $3 per bag in more $1 dollar bills.   When you give someone $1 dollar bills, it seems that you are actually giving more  💲

LOL.  For clarification, when I said "UBER" I was referring to outstanding service (yes UBER has a new meaning now) though I do always tip my UBER drivers 20%.  For luggage, IDK, just that $5/bag seems on the high end for the 10 seconds they handle my luggage.  I can do $3 though, the rest of it is for the crew on-board.  I have a lot of palms to grease!  🤑

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not our experiences and so far we've never had to do it to ensure a good table. Apparently being polite and requesting a two top in a certain location we prefer for the entire cruise in the MDR (MTD) has always been good enough and has always worked for us.  

Same here.  We always treat the crew with respect and kindness and it always gets returned in kind, as best they can.  No need to grease any palms.  

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:18 AM, canderson said:

"No WD-40"?  Dates back many years here at CC to a series of events that got half the Night Owls (now Morning Doves group) kicked off CC for a few weeks!  I won't mention the name, but there was a lady who was dis-invited from ever cruising with X again that changed up to WD-40 when legally prohibited from carrying mace. 

If anyone remembers the saga, fine, and you can still have a good chuckle at the memories.  If not, oh well - better to leave this one alone!

LOL.  I hear that the WD40 defense works well against people who are rusty. 🙂🙂 🙂  🙂 

Edited by NMTraveller

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Just grabbed a couple of cukes from the "bucket farm" on my patio, gonna slice those bad boys up add tomato's, feta cheese and balsamic, together with a glass or 4 of sauvignon blanc, I am good to go!

Now you've got my attention. Yum! 

2 hours ago, keesar said:

Our luggage is always taken by the porter dock side, loaded into a large luggage bin with a lot of other luggage. Once the bin is full then a forklift driver picks up the luggage and takes the luggage bin to the ships loading area where the luggage bin is loaded on the ship. How does the forklift driver know how much if anything you tipped the porter and which pieces of luggage are yours?  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, zitsky said:

Should I give the pool $100 because they are sharing instead of the $20 I was going to give the waiter? 

Reminds me of the late "Chairman of the Board" Frank S. when leaving a swanky restaurant one evening, all the valets rushed up to him to be 'the' one to get his car. When he got into his car he asked 'the one' lucky valet "How many valets are here tonight ?" The young man said "There are 10 of us, sir."  All eyes and ears were on the famous Mr. S when he took out $100 bill and said "Split this with them."  Truly 'a man for all seasons'.