Norfolk, VA.

latebloomer56

Has anybody on NCL had a port day in Norfolk, VA. before? We were informed this was added to our March 2021 cruise and need to sell this trip over again to the family. Sold them on this with a different ship for us the Getaway but now NCL made a port change.

Thanks and as always stay safe.

Get an über to take you to Williamsburg and spend the day touring Williamsburg.  I have done Williamsburg both as a ship's tour and as an uber and the latter worked better.

If you want something closer to the ship tour the battleship Wisconsin.

• Like 1

I got excited when I saw the additional port on this route, but it's (for me anyway) not a good itinerary.

They cut Nassau to 7am - 2pm...which means onboard at 1 pm.  So the beach day/shopping day is cut really short.

And Norfolk is 7am-1pm on a Saturday....which means onboard at noon.  Not much time to do anything or go anywhere interesting.

It might be good for early birds.

Another bad thing about Norfolk is they dock in an industry setting, like a container port. That was were the Bliss and other similar ships were docking during layup last year. Norfolk does have a proper cruise terminal that is used a few times a year for other cruise lines however i think that terminal has limitation with the type of ship it can handle. the breakaway class might be too big for this terminal

Edited by shof515

Half Moon Cruise Center (click to the official link) is located in the downtown area, very much walkable and easy to get around to many historic places, flat for walking ... kind of reminded me of stops on our NE cruises to Nova Scotia & Halifax.  Not to get excited but it does have more to do nearby, unlike Port Canaveral's terminals & hail and share a taxi shuttle or bus ride with others.  VA's beaches are beautiful on the Atlantic but a bit too far and not worth the challenges for a half day port visit, IMHO.  The classic USS Wisconsin battleship is next to the cruise terminal for a visit by those interested in navy history, like the Intrepid in New York.  

"Goo" to the rescue as we haven't been to Norfolk area in a while - map link:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Half+Moone+Cruise+and+Celebration+Center/@36.849027,-76.2964195,1393m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89ba987366161c2d:0xecd0f215ff813585!8m2!3d36.8470259!4d-76.295709?hl=en

During the earlier shutdown, cruise ships that ended up there were in the industrial terminal dock area usually for container ships - pretty sure this isn't the plan, but I stand corrected.  More info at the CC East Coast Departure Forum, might not be "current" - 

hate to sound cynical, but norfolk isnt a port i'd even consider seeing. since i'm not overwhelmed by nassau either, this seems like another day to spend aboard ship.  depending on the other ports, i might even consider canceling this cruise entirely.

i tend to book based mostly on itinerary (and of course price) and i understand sometimes a port change is unavoidable, but i believe most people book, and look forward to visiting the ports listed. change or alter too many and it leads to disappointment and loss of confidence in your cruise line

just my own personal opinion

We live close by Norfolk (20 min).  You will not make it to Williamsburg so dont even consider this.  The cruise ship will dock close to the Wisconson and a great food and shopping all within walking distance.  The McCarthy museum is a good thing to see but other than that not much to do for 4 hours that you have time for.

• Like 4

My son is at college in Norfolk, so we have been there a lot. Dpepper64 is correct, don’t even attempt Williamsburg. If the Wisconsin interests you, by all means go…but other than that, I would stay on board and enjoy the ship’s amenities.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 9:08 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

I got excited when I saw the additional port on this route, but it's (for me anyway) not a good itinerary.

They cut Nassau to 7am - 2pm...which means onboard at 1 pm.  So the beach day/shopping day is cut really short.

And Norfolk is 7am-1pm on a Saturday....which means onboard at noon.  Not much time to do anything or go anywhere interesting.

It might be good for early birds.

That is a ridiculously short time to visit Norfolk; no way to Williamsburg.  All three of my port visits there have been full day visits and all enjoyable.

is there anything exceptional in the shops by norfolk that would justify even getting off the ship.

when i book a cruise the most important is the itinerary. i dont think i'd even look at a cruise if 2 of the ports were nassau and norfolk.  same goes for harvest caye and grand stirrup caye. i want to see things, meet people and experience things in other ports that i normally wouldnt get to experience at home. 

sorry to be such a negative sob.

Nothing great at the shops in Norfolk.  Stay on the ship enjoy the spa the the free drink.   And yes I leave close to Norfolk so I know about the shopping and dining.  Unless you want to see the Wisconson which takes an hour so so.

If you want to get off cheaply, you're within walking distance to the free Hampton Roads Naval Museum, which is inside the Nauticus building (there's a fee for Nauticus itself, which includes a visit to the Battleship Wisconsin). And the free MacArthur Memorial is close by. It's where the general and his wife are entombed and even if you're not a fan, the historic elements are fascinating. 

The free Chrysler Museum is definitely worth seeing and is only about a mile away. It has 50 galleries and a cool glass collection. 

There's a free self guided history walking tour, The Cannonball Trail (named for the cannonball embedded in St Paul's Episcopal church by British canon), which might be my personal choice. It's in the downtown area and takes about two hours.

Just under three miles away (but I wouldn't walk) is the Virginia Zoo (fee, not free). We go there often and always enjoy it (we're in our 60s and have six g'kidlets).

The Norfolk Botanical Garden is only 12 miles away. Or, perhaps NCL might be offering a harbor cruise (which generally includes Naval Station Norfolk, the world's largest naval base) as an excursion. The different cruise companies normally don't go out that early, but I can see them doing something special for cruiseship visitors.

Of course the early visit seems kinda goofy, so check admission times when you do your research.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all, not a choice I would have made. They have added this port and cut time at another. Wonder why? Well the Getaway is a different ship for us and the kids are looking forward to the slides, ropes, and rock climbing so will make the best out of it.

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

thanks for the interesting highlights, im convinced now more then ever if i were on this cruise, i'd stay on the ship with a cold brew

Wow, same decision I make with a port visit in LA. 😊

You might want to consider taking a boat tour of the Naval Base.  I have taken this tour several times.  It's very interesting to see the aircraft carriers, cruisers, destroyers and nuclear submarines.  The tour is 2 hours long and the first one of the day is at 11AM.  If you need to be back on board by 2PM.  You should be back around 1PM.  You can book this tour on line.  

Since it looks like this will be a Saturday port call, I would recommend making an advance online booking.  More info here:

Naval Base Boat Tour in Norfolk | Victory Rover Cruises (navalbasecruises.com)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

You might want to consider taking a boat tour of the Naval Base.  I have taken this tour several times.  It's very interesting to see the aircraft carriers, cruisers, destroyers and nuclear submarines.  The tour is 2 hours long and the first one of the day is at 11AM.  If you need to be back on board by 2PM.  You should be back around 1PM.  You can book this tour on line.  

Since it looks like this will be a Saturday port call, I would recommend making an advance online booking.  More info here:

Thank you this sounds like an excellent choice.

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

On the Feb-March Getaway Bahamas cruise sailaway is at 1pm.  Back on board would be about noon, si it wouldn't work.

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

On the Feb-March Getaway Bahamas cruise sailaway is at 1pm.  Back on board would be about noon, si it wouldn't work.

Sorry, I misread your prior post and thought the Nassau times were the Norfolk times.  (Reading is fundamental...🙄)

@latebloomer56 please take note of my error!