360° Video: Spend an hour sailing in an aft balcony

CineGraphic

Someone was kind enough to film just over an hours worth of 360° HD video from their aft balcony while sailing in Alaska on August 2nd.

Once the video starts, you can use the controls in the upper left corner to move the picture, or use your mouse to scroll.

It looks & sounds great in full screen mode. This is the next best thing to being there!

https://youtu.be/18nI9gKj39o

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

What is the sound ? Sounds like a motor or a fan running, kinda noisy.

It IS that LOUD!! That's what I thought, when I had a wakeview cabin! I had imagined a gentle lulling sound that would be soothing...but it was "kinda noisy" as you noticed.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:20 PM, CineGraphic said:

Someone was kind enough to film just over an hours worth of 360° HD video from their aft balcony while sailing in Alaska on August 2nd.

Once the video starts, you can use the controls in the upper left corner to move the picture, or use your mouse to scroll.

It looks & sounds great in full screen mode. This is the next best thing to being there!

https://youtu.be/18nI9gKj39o

I am already asleep.  I need to have that when I go to bed.  We love the wake noise.

• Like 2

I am the one who shot the video...  Made an account just to respond here.  😸  I used a 360Penguin camera from 360Rize (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KGKJ3L5/).  It has it's flaws, but I managed to get it working.  The biggest annoyance is that it chops the video into 10-minute long files that I then had to get better editing software to stitch together.  YouTube processing also took ages (I think the HD version didn't finish processing until 2 or 3 days after I uploaded the full video).

While the wake noise was a little loud at times, I really did not notice it in my stateroom with the door closed, plus the video was recorded when we were powering up to Juneau on our first day at sea and we were at 19 knots.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:06 AM, richmke said:

Anyone see any whales?

I know there were whales seen on whale watching excursions, but I did not see any directly.  I did see plenty of seals and otters in Ketchikan and Glacier Bay respectively, and saw a few breach sprays, but they were too far out to see what was breaching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rovylern said:

I am the one who shot the video...  Made an account just to respond here.  😸  I used a 360Penguin camera from 360Rize (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KGKJ3L5/).  It has it's flaws, but I managed to get it working.  The biggest annoyance is that it chops the video into 10-minute long files that I then had to get better editing software to stitch together.  YouTube processing also took ages (I think the HD version didn't finish processing until 2 or 3 days after I uploaded the full video).

While the wake noise was a little loud at times, I really did not notice it in my stateroom with the door closed, plus the video was recorded when we were powering up to Juneau on our first day at sea and we were at 19 knots.

I know there were whales seen on whale watching excursions, but I did not see any directly.  I did see plenty of seals and otters in Ketchikan and Glacier Bay respectively, and saw a few breach sprays, but they were too far out to see what was breaching.

Thank you for sharing the awesome video. I agree, the noise is not audible when the balcony door is closed and the views are stunning! I was just surprised when I took an aft cabin for the first time. Check! Glad you enjoyed it!

I guess I'm going to be the one to disagree.  Yes aft cabins are great and watching the wake is mesmerizing.  But looking at this for an hour on a computer or TV screen IMHO is just not worth it.  It would have been nice if there was something to see on the sides of the ship as it was sailing.  

7 minutes ago, TM said:

I guess I'm going to be the one to disagree.  Yes aft cabins are great and watching the wake is mesmerizing.  But looking at this for an hour on a computer or TV screen IMHO is just not worth it.  It would have been nice if there was something to see on the sides of the ship as it was sailing.  

I made the video with the intention of zoning out to it on my Oculus Quest 2, with music on headphones as an overlay to the wake noise.  In that situation, it is quite relaxing.  Also, if you pan to the left a bit, you'll be able to see some of the coast flow by.

• Like 1