72 hour advance testing

harrywpb

I’m ok about getting tested for an upcoming cruise. I don’t understand how a test on Wednesday morning will still be relevant on Saturday when I embark. It doesn’t take account what someone’s been exposed to during those subsequent 72 hours. Sorry if this has previously been discussed here 

Harry

Edited by harrywpb

6 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

This one started July 30.  There are others as well.  Search CVS or Antigen

"It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding"

I haven’t seen the answer to my question there. 

31 minutes ago, harrywpb said:

I’m ok about getting tested for an upcoming cruise. I don’t understand how a test on Wednesday morning will still be relevant on Saturday when I embark. It doesn’t take account what someone’s been exposed to during those subsequent 72 hours. Sorry if this has previously been discussed here 

Harry

2 hours wouldn't work very well for most people.  72 has been tough for some, given the lack of tests with results assured returned within less than 72 hours, and windows available depending on flight and pre-cruise plans as it is!

The requirement is the same for flying back to the U.S. from outside.

Something (72) better than nothing, and anyone appearing at the pier with symptoms is subject to retest.

Edited by canderson

27 minutes ago, harrywpb said:

I don’t understand how a test on Wednesday morning will still be relevant on Saturday when I embark. It doesn’t take account what someone’s been exposed to during those subsequent 72 hours.

This step is not necessarily designed to ensure that everybody is negative at the time of embarkation, but to weed out positive cases (although not all) before they even make it to the port. 

Don’t be surprised to see protocols continuing to evolve, with everyone required to take a test right at the port provided by the cruise line regardless of vaccination status as other cruise lines are already doing. 

Edited by Tapi

I checked in Friday night for my Nov 11 cruise and the email says within 72 hours of embarkation for the test... but perhaps that's being updated. One has to answer a health questionnaire the day before and then reanswer the questions at the pier where they will be doing a health check.

Will it catch everyone? No. But at least everyone aged 12 and over needs to be vaccinated. Even rapid PCR testing at the pier won't catch everyone.

I feel pretty good about Celebrity's safety protocols and am very happy about the additional required testing for vaccinated folk. They've already caught at least one family of 4 which just thought they had colds and were surprised they all had covid.

Just now, harrywpb said:

Thanks for the prompt and thoughtful responses. I have a different and better understanding of this now. 

Harry

For some people who get positive tests results quickly, they can avoid traveling and cancel hotels. I think really active people who spend any time with lots of people indoors regularly would do well to get a test 10 to 14 days before boarding, just in case.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, harrywpb said:

Harry

If you are negative 72 hours in advance, it is unlikely that a test at the pier (or immediately before boarding) would show any infection that had been picked up in the last 2 days. It takes a bit of time for the virus to multiply in enough numbers to create a positive test.

Plus, there are the practicalities of the travel involved. I don't imagine cruise lines want to pay to have umpteen negative passengers quarantined in the embarkation port. They'd rather have you stay at home and not fly there.

57 minutes ago, canderson said:

2 hours wouldn't work very well for most people.  72 has been tough for some, given the lack of tests with results assured returned within less than 72 hours, and windows available depending on flight and pre-cruise plans as it is!

The requirement is the same for flying back to the U.S. from outside.

Something (72) better than nothing, and anyone appearing at the pier with symptoms is subject to retest.

I have scheduled a Wednesday test to fly on Saturday and a Friday test to board on Monday. Now if Celebrity would just explain the web site that says "UK guests only", I would know if we are actually going to sail.

We were also struggling with the time frame for testing. We're flying to St. Maarten to board the Summit, and they also require a negative PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival on the island. And we have to fill out an online health form in advance, providing test results, in order to be granted entry.  The official website says to allow up to 12 hours for processing, though most people say it is returned much quicker.

After much research, we found that some CVSs offer a rapid results PCR test (in addition to the rapid antigen test). Results are supposed to arrive within 1-2 hours. So, we've scheduled ours for first thing Thursday morning in anticipation of our arrival on the island and boarding the ship on Saturday afternoon; about 55 hours in advance. I hate cutting it that close, but from everything I've read, it should work and would cover us even if we were to arrive late for some reason.

Not all CVSs offer it, but we found about 5 or 6 within about 20 miles of our home.  I hear Walgreens offers a similar test, though I can't speak to that from personal knowledge because it's not available in our area.

I hope that information may be helpful.

Happy cruising!