Booking free Oceania cruise

ship happy

We reached the Platinum level awhile back and have now decided  to book the "free" cruise. I am utterly disappointed  at all the perks that are not part of this.

Especially  the perks we've earned at Platinum level.  Kinda gobsmacked.   Would like to hear of some of your booking experiences. Our travel agent is working hard on our booking and conveying my disappointment on how Oceania treats their loyal guests.

11 minutes ago, ship happy said:

We reached the Platinum level awhile back and have now decided  to book the "free" cruise. I am utterly disappointed  at all the perks that are not part of this.

Especially  the perks we've earned at Platinum level.  Kinda gobsmacked.   Would like to hear of some of your booking experiences. Our travel agent is working hard on our booking and conveying my disappointment on how Oceania treats their loyal guests.

Specifically what perks are you not getting? I do know that air is no longer included(or at least I think that's right) but I'm not sure about other perks. 3 years ago we got all the Platinum perks on our free cruise. 

1 minute ago, ORV said:

Specifically what perks are you not getting? I do know that air is no longer included(or at least I think that's right) but I'm not sure about other perks. 3 years ago we got all the Platinum perks on our free cruise. 

We were told no platinum perks...none. also no O life.

I think you are right ORV

T & C's

Guests are required to notify Reservations when requesting the FREE CRUISE. The awarded FREE CRUISE must be taken on the guest’s milestone cruise and is Cruise-Only, based on double occupancy, subject to availability at the time of booking, is not combinable with public promotions, excludes government taxes and fees and cannot exceed 14 days in length. The FREE CRUISE must be approved and will be placed as a guarantee until stateroom category has been assigned, upon authorization from the Oceania Club. The FREE CRUISE cannot be applied to any of the Around the World Voyages. For cruises over 14 days in length, the cruise cost will be prorated for the additional days. Stateroom category will reflect the accommodations most closely matching the typical category selected by the guests on prior voyages. Reservations for the FREE CRUISE may only be made 180 days or more prior to sail date. Other restrictions may apply.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

• Like 1

Dealing with our travel agency whose specializes in Oceania  cruises.

The cruise is longer than 14 days...and, of course we pay for the extra 3 days.

We contacted  our  agent weeks ago, Oceania  won't  officially  book us till the last minute....but it appears they would like  full payment next week.  We haven't even received  any confirmation. 

You would think as people are starting to venture out and travel again that Oceania  would handle this a wee bit better.   

Re LHT28   The point re perks is...Oceania  makes a big deal when you reach the different  levels. Those perks have been earned in a big way.  By not granting the perks , simple shows me that they show no loyalty  to their guests.   The perks add up to alot.

1 hour ago, ship happy said:

We contacted  our  agent weeks ago, Oceania  won't  officially  book us till the last minute....but it appears they would like  full payment next week.  We haven't even received  any confirmation. 

You would think as people are starting to venture out and travel again that Oceania  would handle this a wee bit better.   

None of this sounds right. Somehow it seems more information is needed, Good luck with all that. 

FWIW. If you already reached Platinum you should have taken your free cruise as you turned Platinum, unless there were extenuating circumstances. From the above Terms and Conditions. 

"The awarded FREE CRUISE must be taken on the guest’s milestone cruise "

Edited by ORV

1 hour ago, ship happy said:

Re LHT28   The point re perks is...Oceania  makes a big deal when you reach the different  levels. Those perks have been earned in a big way.  By not granting the perks , simple shows me that they show no loyalty  to their guests.   The perks add up to alot.

But you have not said what perks you are not getting ?

Of course  for the Free cruise  there is no O Life perk  as it is "CRUISE ONLY "  as in the fine print

Your information is a bit confusing 

We were also told no perks but they showed up when we got on board. The thing you have to look out for is the cost of your extra days Try for only 1 extra day if possible as they prorate it on the full brochure price you know the one no one pays!.That’s why it is better to try for a 12 or 14 day cruise Enjoy!

3 hours ago, ship happy said:

You need a new TA. In the meantime, contact the O Club folks directly by email (OceaniaClub@OceaniaCruises.com)

FWIW: the economy air was eliminated several years ago and there has never been the option to get the air credit instead  (to offset any other purchases). So, for folks who DIY air, nothing is lost there.

Normally, the Platinum cruise (the one in which you will attain the 20th cruise credit) IS the comp one and whatever you have booked (perhaps more than a year ahead) will be repriced only a few months prior to embarkation (assuming you already informed the O Club folks (prior to the Final Payment deadline) that you want the Platinum cruise perk [it does not happen automatically]. If you placed a deposit, it will be refunded to you. (Remember too that some folks book what eventually will be the Platinum one before they complete other booked cruises adding the credits up to number 19. So they would’ve had to make a deposit anyway).

And, while you cannot get any O Life perks added to a Platinum cruise, all of you O Club Platinum perks will be added to your invoice when your final docs are issued.

So, at the bottom line: You get a comp “cruise only” 14 day cruise in your normal cabin level along with the Platinum O Club perks. BTW, any TA who “specializes in Oceania” should certainly know this.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

The “free” cruise does not include air or OLife benefits, but you will get the OBC and spa benefits just like all Platinum level passengers. You will have any days over 14 prorated at the daily charge for the cruise. You will also have to pay port charges. The category room you are entitled to is the average of the prior 19 cruises. If you choose a higher level room, you will pay the difference. No refund on a lower category. Rules have become stricter, but this benefit is still better than any other cruise line gives. We are currently looking for our “free” 40th. Not an easy task since most 2022 cruises are waitlisted and few are 14 days. We will just book a longer one and pay the difference. 

We are on our Free 20th Cruise October 18, on Riviera. It is a 20 day cruise and we booked a PH and getting our Free credit at the rate of Concierge level. We are working closely with Oceania and yes, the Free flights were lost in the process. That was OK because we had $ to spend on another carrier due to a cancelled 2020 cruise. Bottom line, our Free Cruise is netting us about a $5300 pp credit on the 20 day cruise. My understanding is we will still get our Free Gratuities and Platinum SBC and Spa credits. AND OUR SHAREHOLDER $250 SBC. 🤪. However we cut it, it is an IMHO,  is it is an AMAZING PERK for a loyalty program.  And yes, we had to make this trip memorable so a 14 day Free cruise was only the beginning as we coupled the equivalent of 4 cruises totaling 46 days to make sure it was a fitting celebration of our long term relationship with our Oceania family and our 50th Anniversary. 
Good luck to all as we reach those special milestones. 
Mauibabes

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

And yes, we had to make this trip memorable so a 14 day Free cruise was only the beginning as we coupled the equivalent of 4 cruises totaling 46 days to make sure it was a fitting celebration of our long term relationship with our Oceania family and our 50th Anniversary. 

Is your first segment 14 days or longer and are you getting any cruise credits for days beyond 14?

The reason I ask this as we took our 20th few years ago on Nautica in Asia. It was a 21 day cruise but one we liked and prices are usually high for those itineraries. I understood that we had to pay for the extra 7 days (prorated) but disappointed that we did not get a cruise credit for the 7 days part. After all, there were many 7 day stand alone cruises that gave people 1 cruise credit and we paid "full" price for a 7 days cruise.

Great Q Paul, I am not sure but assumed I would get a cruise credit.  Guess I better ask the Q. We are on a 20 day cruise, Istanbul to Monte Carlo. We follow it up with a separately booked 26 day MC to Miami TA. If I lose the first segment credit then I go home with 2 credits.🤬

I guess it is an issue of ASSUME and READING THE FINE PRINT! 
Gerry

8 hours ago, ship happy said:

There are T&C available to review, did you do that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Amazing how many folks will spend 5 figures on a cruise and then not read their T&Cs nor even review their invoice!

Yep, they are all available to review prior to booking, no matter the type of cruise.  

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Amazing how many folks will spend 5 figures on a cruise and then not read their T&Cs nor even review their invoice!

Plus 1

or even check their credit cards!

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

On 8/15/2021 at 11:56 AM, gaeltrav said:

" ... as they prorate it on the full brochure price you know the one no one pays! ..."

Perhaps someone can verify that this is the case (Jan?) ... I was under the impression that they prorated the extra days on the current "Cruise Only" prices.

9 hours ago, bigmjh said:

Perhaps someone can verify that this is the case (Jan?) ... I was under the impression that they prorated the extra days on the current "Cruise Only" prices.

Paul might help on that answer also as his was 20 days. Ours was exactly 14. It really wasn't "years ago" that the included flight went away. Our free cruise was July of 18 and it was still part of the program then. 

A shame the OP hasn't come back and told us exactly what perks they aren't getting. 

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

Paul might help on that answer also as his was 20 days. Ours was exactly 14. It really wasn't "years ago" that the included flight went away. Our free cruise was July of 18 and it was still part of the program then. 

A shame the OP hasn't come back and told us exactly what perks they aren't getting. 

That would be three years ago....

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That would be three years ago....

Well it was still being given at that time, I don't know for sure when it stopped. BUT, to me years ago would be at least 5-10, just personal perception,