Was Belieze port doing random testing of cruise passengers?

AtSeaWithChris

41 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I read a report where some people said Belieze was randomly testing some cruisers debarking Carnival Vista. Is this true and does anyone have a link to an article?

what happens if you test positive? Would they let you back on the ship?

I would imagine they would have to let you back on the ship and put you in quarantine. Where else would you go as I am sure Belize would not want you in their country?

• Like 1

I dont have the link but try derek the blogger. It was probably a one time deal. Last tuesday when vista had crew still in isolation. The crew is already coming out of isolation. It's so not a story what they did last tuesday imo. People keep saying move on. Story started now 2 cruises before the one going now. 

Ps I read it in many threads on here last week, even the lawyer article from the ambulance chaser mentioned it and I took note of it. It's been posted to threads that are still here .. search for vista, 27 positives. Subject is getting old now hopefully though seems some just now seeing it.

Edited by firefly333

According to a youtube blogger, 68 passengers were randomly tested during debarkation in Belize.  idk where he got that info.  I didn't see it in any of the new stories.  He also had rough testing numbers indicating contact tracing on the ship tested ~900 people over 3 days, mostly crew, and that the entire crew (which he had the number 1441) had been tested in a period of a week or less.

Edited by arkaine23

10 minutes ago, arkaine23 said:

According to a youtube blogger, 68 passengers were randomly tested during debarkation in Belize.  idk where he got that info.  I didn't see it in any of the new stories.  He also had rough testing numbers indicating contact tracing on the ship tested ~900 people over 3 days, mostly crew, and that the entire crew (which he had the number 1441) had been tested in a period of a week or less.

Should we politely refuse the test and go back to the ship? What if you take it and test negative? These are questions I'd like to see the answer to. 

7 minutes ago, arkaine23 said:

Again I read it for instance on that lawyer post from houston last week. I think many scanned it and their eyes were so focused on the 27 positives, 26 crew, they didnt take in that Belize would be doing random testing. Yes after the fact i read 68 were randomly tested..  ..this was posted early last week they would be doing random tests last tuesday. I noted it myself but few here seemed to pick it up. They were too busy arguing if the positive number was true. It clearly said it in what I read. Derek the blogger had a blog about it before and after. He noted it. If you read the whole news links posted here in cc last week it was there. Find some of those closed threads with the links and reread. 

Why are people 6 days later only now realizing it and reacting. 

6 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Should we politely refuse the test and go back to the ship? What if you take it and test negative? These are questions I'd like to see the answer to. 

That is a good question. Now since you have to test negative to board, .. pre test should catch it. To be caught in a outbreak you would have to come down with it after you board, spread it, have a large number again of positives for Belize to act this way... the lre test should keep most pax from bringing it onboard. Making a mountain over a possible future outbreak. If I'm on a ship with a outbreak stay on the ship. I can see you want to make a future outbreak into a big deal.

Note again . .. .this was done one time because there were 27 people quarantined on the ship. So you would also have to be on a ship with a outbreak. 

Let's wait for tomorrow before you assume it will happen again tomorrow on vista. Why panic before you know it's going to be done again...nothing came of it last tuesday. Belize isnt going to waste money every week. .. if you are that worried that you will be on a ship with a outbreak I hope you cancel. Already those crew are coming out of isolation...its been over a week since isolation started. 

Edited by firefly333

45 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I can see you want to make a future outbreak into a big deal.

What? How can you see that? Scratching my head. 

I just would like to know the protocol so I can choose correctly should the situation come up. I don't want to be surprised and find out on the pier that I can't reboard the ship. 

should you not make plans and plan for contingencies?

I hadn't thought about this situation until I saw the random testing in a blog over the weekend. 

I think it's a good question to file away in a what if scenario. 

Edited by AtSeaWithChris

46 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

That is a good question. Now since you have to test negative to board, .. pre test should catch it. To be caught in a outbreak you would have to come down with it after you board, spread it, have a large number again of positives for Belize to act this way... the lre test should keep most pax from bringing it onboard. Making a mountain over a possible future outbreak. If I'm on a ship with a outbreak stay on the ship. I can see you want to make a future outbreak into a big deal.

Note again . .. .this was done one time because there were 27 people quarantined on the ship. So you would also have to be on a ship with a outbreak. 

Let's wait for tomorrow before you assume it will happen again tomorrow on vista. Why panic before you know it's going to be done again...nothing came of it last tuesday. Belize isnt going to waste money every week. .. if you are that worried that you will be on a ship with a outbreak I hope you cancel. Already those crew are coming out of isolation...its been over a week since isolation started. 

What if someone has tested positive when Belieze randomly tested last week? What would have happened if they had someone test positive?

58 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

If you are in a foreign country would you even have the option of refusing to take the test?  Who knows?

"What if you take it and test negative?"        Not sure I understand this.  If you are negative nothing would happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

If you are in a foreign country would you even have the option of refusing to take the test?  Who knows?

"What if you take it and test negative?"        Not sure I understand this.  If you are negative nothing would happen.

Meant positive 

16 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Only people who disembark would be tested - passengers could choose not to disembark.

10 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Only people who disembark would be tested - passengers could choose not to disembark.

True, but the OP specifically asked about people getting off the ship.

Edited by ColeThornton

5 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Exactly, if I'm aware that it's a possibility I could be randomly picked to test for covid after debarking the ship, for an excursion, and if tested positive could be denied getting back on the ship I might choose to stay onboard. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Exactly, if I'm aware that it's a possibility I could be randomly picked to test for covid after debarking the ship, for an excursion, and if tested positive could be denied getting back on the ship I might choose to stay onboard. 

I can't see them not letting you reboard as Belize I am sure would not let you in. The only practical alternative I see is you are forced back onto the ship, and then the ship has you quarantine.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I can't see them not letting you reboard as Belize I am sure would not let you in. The only practical alternative I see is you are forced back onto the ship, and then the ship has you quarantine.

That is exactly what i'd like to see an official answer on.

29 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I don’t know that this scenario has taken place since cruising started, but it is a legitimate question. A lot of people may be wondering about it, but there probably isn’t anyone who knows for sure.

If the random testing is done after you exit the ship, you may not be able to decline. After all, you are in a foreign port and under their jurisdiction.

If you test positive, I see only two possibilities. You might be returned to the ship to quarantine for the rest of the cruise or you might be disembarked to quarantine in a local hotel contracted for that purpose. It probably depends on the terms of the port agreement. 

Neither is a good outcome for the rest of your vacation, but you can be sure of one thing. Carnival will not fly you home on a private jet the way other cruise lines have done from Caribbean ports.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zeroed said:

Faced with all this uncertainty and prospect of immense inconvenience and expense, what are the chances that some people experiencing symptoms will keep their mouths shut and finish their trip in peace? 

The chances are very high ….. I’d bet most wouldn’t draw attention to themselves if they had minor symptoms and then risk getting dumped off in a foreign country costing them thousands . 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zeroed said:

Faced with all this uncertainty and prospect of immense inconvenience and expense, what are the chances that some people experiencing symptoms will keep their mouths shut and finish their trip in peace? 

Probably pretty high, especially if it's this hard to find out what the actual protocol is. And JH saying it hasn't happened instead of getting the answer just makes it that much more confusing. 

Once you set off the ship you are in a foreign country and have no US rights. You are subject to their laws which include random testing. If you test positive, Belize should put you and everyone else back on the ship and wave goodbye to the ship.

If they don't, this is one reason emergency evacuation insurance is required for some and a good idea for all.

As for people lying about symptoms, it is to be expected by some, hence random testing of all. Everybody pays the price for the shameless few.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Once you set off the ship you are in a foreign country and have no US rights. You are subject to their laws which include random testing. If you test positive, Belize should put you and everyone else back on the ship and wave goodbye to the ship.

If they don't, this is one reason emergency evacuation insurance is required for some and a good idea for all.

As for people lying about symptoms, it is to be expected by some, hence random testing of all. Everybody pays the price for the shameless few.

Which is why I'd like to get an answer so I can weigh my risks. This has to have come up at some point and I'd like to know the possibilities before I go so I have enough info To make a choice. 

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I bet you 90% of the people sailing under the current conditions would NOT go to medical to report mild symptoms of what could be covid including yourself. Nobody wants to get quarantined God knows where because they reported a scratchy throat and maybe congestion. The truth is most aren't that dumb even if not the ethical thing to do.