Sorry I “Moved Up”

Margarita Jane

Just my experience….we did a b2b on Equinox, 8/1 and 8/8. We could not get the same stateroom for both sailings. On 8/1, we had a SV. It was great! On 8/8, we booked a balcony, and bid to move up to Aqua. We are Elite, but had never sailed in Aqua. Unfortunately, the stateroom we were assigned (1512) was under exercise equipment. Every morning at 6:00am, we were awakened by the pounding of people exercising…and we are not early risers.

Moral - with move up bids, you are getting a guarantee and have no choice of location. I knew that, but with ships sailing at or below 50%, I didn’t think I’d get the worse Aqua available (😳).

Probably won’t risk move up in the future….

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Same for cabin guarantees, I Am calling our TA today to let them know that there are decks which will not be acceptable ....

In vain, I know, but at least I will have lodged my preference, regardless.

bon voyage

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Margarita Jane said:

Just my experience….we did a b2b on Equinox, 8/1 and 8/8. We could not get the same stateroom for both sailings. On 8/1, we had a SV. It was great! On 8/8, we booked a balcony, and bid to move up to Aqua. We are Elite, but had never sailed in Aqua. Unfortunately, the stateroom we were assigned (1512) was under exercise equipment. Every morning at 6:00am, we were awakened by the pounding of people exercising…and we are not early risers.

Moral - with move up bids, you are getting a guarantee and have no choice of location. I knew that, but with ships sailing at or below 50%, I didn’t think I’d get the worse Aqua available (😳).

Agree. That would be a bummer. We (always) like to pick our own cabins anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Same for cabin guarantees, I Am calling our TA today to let them know that there are decks which will not be acceptable ....

In vain, I know, but at least I will have lodged my preference, regardless.

bon voyage

I also believe in, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Or never hurts to ask. 😂

• Thanks 1

As a note for future reference, in the past (I'm not sure if this has changed more recently), when we had a cabin booked that was a guarantee, once the cabin was assigned, I was able to call in and move to another cabin in the same category with no issues.  It is a risk of course if there are no other cabins in that category, but if there is something better left in the cabin you were assigned, you may be able to move within that category (it is worth asking).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Margarita Jane said:

Thanks for the info.

We always pick our cabins and now we know not to "move up" if we are offered something.

I've posted this before, but many years ago (pre-Aqua) on we were "upgraded" from a balcony we had chosen on deck 7 to one on deck 9.  We hated the location and the roof overhang. Hated not being able to see the sky.  

M Class - Summit, I believe.

I don't remember noise, but I sure do remember that cave feeling. 

That is why I am firmly in the camp that believes Aqua Class is a  marketing ploy to sell those cabins in undesirable locations. Yes, I know many have come to enjoy their special dining room, but this is my story and I'm sticking to it. 

Sorry this happened to you but it's a good reminder to all that the grass is not always greener... 

• Like 10

We used to book Aqua all the time, mostly for Blu and once made the mistake of booking 1510 (thankfully it was a very short cruise) and experienced the same thing in the morning.  We wanted to try a stateroom more forward and close to the spa.  After that we booked all of our Aqua rooms on the "S" class at 1610 or even farther aft than that because they are under staterooms.  

• Like 1

I tried  Celebrity Move Up this month.

I have found that your Min Bid is based on your current cabin category/price. Example: you have an Inside bid for Balcony, Min Bid price is higher than a person with an Ocean view Min Bid price for Balcony.

I even seen where it was cheaper to buy the Balcony at current price than trying to Min Bid up to Balcony.

So, not all deals are in your favor. 

Yes, I know this is not always true.

Stay Safe & Happy Cruising!

• Like 2

I looked into Move Up for the first time the other day and I found it confusing. The price quoted is the price to move up from your current stateroom, right?   The minimum price I was quoted seemed waaaay too high, like more than I'd expect to pay for a new booking.  I was thinking that at lower capacity I'd be able to get a bargain, but I was wrong.

-- Kevin

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kevink said:

I looked into Move Up for the first time the other day and I found it confusing. The price quoted is the price to move up from your current stateroom, right?   The minimum price I was quoted seemed waaaay too high, like more than I'd expect to pay for a new booking.  I was thinking that at lower capacity I'd be able to get a bargain, but I was wrong.

-- Kevin

That was my experience, too. This past week. 

The one and only time we did Aqua we agonized over what cabin to pick....years ago, prior to Move Up.  After much deliberation we picked one under the hair salon....how noisy could that get, right?  We didn’t account for the towel carts slamming back and forth over the threshold.  Woke us every morning “0:dark early”.  Even with earplugs.

Lesson learned.  Never again.  I agree that Aqua is a clever ploy to sell some of the worst locations on the ship unless you sleep like a bear in a cave over winter and are oblivious to noise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

The one and only time we did Aqua we agonized over what cabin to pick....years ago, prior to Move Up.  After much deliberation we picked one under the hair salon....how noisy could that get, right?  We didn’t account for the towel carts slamming back and forth over the threshold.  Woke us every morning “0:dark early”.  Even with earplugs.

Lesson learned.  Never again.  I agree that Aqua is a clever ploy to sell some of the worst locations on the ship unless you sleep like a bear in a cave over winter and are oblivious to noise.

Thus the reason I pointed out to our TA that any Aqua cabin above deck 8 on Summit is a deal breaker.

We shall see... I was told that we can keep checking for cabins and let her know also when one becomes available so she could snatch it...

bon voyage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Thus the reason I pointed out to our TA that any Aqua cabin above deck 8 on Summit is a deal breaker.

We shall see... I was told that we can keep checking for cabins and let her know also when one becomes available so she could snatch it...

bon voyage

I'd recommend an A1 on deck 11 on Summit with no cabins above you.  You should be able to get A1 for an A2 price using the Captains Club 1 category upgrade benefit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I've posted this before, but many years ago (pre-Aqua) on we were "upgraded" from a balcony we had chosen on deck 7 to one on deck 9.  We hated the location and the roof overhang. Hated not being able to see the sky.  

M Class - Summit, I believe.

I don't remember noise, but I sure do remember that cave feeling. 

That is why I am firmly in the camp that believes Aqua Class is a  marketing ploy to sell those cabins in undesirable locations. Yes, I know many have come to enjoy their special dining room, but this is my story and I'm sticking to it. 

Sorry this happened to you but it's a good reminder to all that the grass is not always greener... 

We sail the Summit frequently and prefer aqua and prefer the 9th deck with the overhang. Too hot with the direct sun baking the balcony.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We sailed several times in the AQ2 rooms behind the aft elevators and they were very quiet because they are under other staterooms.  Just never understood why the ones forward are considered AQ1 rooms, we spent 3 nights in 1512 on Equinox and, like you, the noise was awful.

We really enjoyed Aqua and especially Blu because of the flexibility in dining and for the smaller venue and then Luminae happened and we are hooked on suites now. 

11 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'd recommend an A1 on deck 11 on Summit with no cabins above you.  You should be able to get A1 for an A2 price using the Captains Club 1 category upgrade benefit.

I agree, those rooms are very private, we stayed in one on Connie just after they were added, very nice.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

If I had noise which woke me early or kept me awake Id be at Reception asking to be moved.

Had it with P&O once - a lovely aft balcony but on top of the late night lounge - thud thud thud of bass music until 2am (also a balcony covered in soot but that's another issue).

"Sorry, no other cabin available" - until I took my duvet to reception at 2pm that afternoon and laid it out - cabin suddenly became available.

No, it wasn't a sunset balcony but I got to sleep for the remainder of the cruise.

Always double-check cabin now BUT will still speak to them if any noise above general background noise associated with people in their cabin etc.

That's all well and good, but on a cruise of 7 nights it's a lot of effort to go through and stress too. By the time you sort it it's probably near halfway through the cruise. And not everyone wants to take their duvet down to reception to make the point!

I've learned the hard way that I want to know exactly where my cabin is. Unfortunately with AQ, Sky Suite guarantees you are taking the risk of what is above you. 

Phil 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Best spot on any X ship imho.  Only potential noise issue is from the movies on deck 12 (why is that even a thing?). We just tend towards the front of the room block.

17 hours ago, kevink said:

-- Kevin

Yes, it was that way sometimes before Covid. We always toss around MoveUp, but rarely try, because it’s such a borderline or even bad deal. One time we decided to move up when the Move Up came out because we had friends joining since we had originally booked, we were able to just pay the difference and choose our new cabin - it was same as bid, with the ability to choose.

1 hour ago, Couple-Somerset said:

I'm pretty sure if the noise is that bad, you'd know about it 1st night.

And most cruiselines have been more than understanding of a guest concern - sadly that P&O cruise weren't so it took 20 minutes of drastic action to get it resolved.

They will do their best, but at the end of the day if you've booked a guarantee and probably saved money doing it so they don't need to do anything. I have been there with noise from the buffet and rolling carts overhead in the middle of the night on Eclipse in a Sky Suite. There was nowhere to move me to unfortunately. Even sleeping in an inside cabin if there had been one would have been very inconvenient. 

I was on one cruise in an SV which I picked especially for the view. The whole cabin smelled musty, like it had been flooded at some point. To give them their due they tried to make it smell better and it was partially successful, but they did come back and offer me an AQ cabin, but that was under a noisy deck so I said not to worry. I'd rather stay put and deal with it. I was pleasant about it. A day later they offered me a Sky Suite because someone had to leave the ship and as it was under a quieter part of the buffet I took it and liked it. So it can happen. Maybe because I was top cruiser on that trip it helped. It was 15 nights and I moved after four nights. It was a faff, but right solution. But that was a fault in the cabin, not noise. 

Phil