Shopping Recommendations - Majestic Princess Alaska 2021

808corgmom

Hi everyone,

Just looking for recommendations for where to go shopping during my Alaska cruise at the end of this month on the Majestic Princess. Looking for things unique to Alaska. Could really use suggestions for Juneau and Skagway. I'm already looking at stopping at Salmon Etc and Salmon Market in Ketchikan. Also, is there a difference between Blasphemous Bill's, Sam McGee's and Poker Creek Gold? It looks like all 3 stores are run by the same owners so I'm wondering which one to go to or if they're all different. Thank you!

In Juneau, I have two favorites.  House of Russia has wonderful Christmas ornaments (and other things) but I suppose it is a bit pricey.  You know Russia settled parts of Alaska (and you can reportedly see it from a local lady's house 🙂) so there are several Russian themed places.  Another place is Alpaca International (which may have closed.)  It seems silly to go to Alaska to buy items from Peru, but their things are so beautiful and warm.  The first time I cruised there, I was freezing, and I got a hat knit from alpaca that saved my life.  I have been going back ever since.

• Like 1

You did not mention Anchorage but an absolutely wonderful place to shop is the craft shop at the Alaska Native Medical Center - http://anmc.org/patients-visitors/craft-shop/.  It is not in a tourist center.  It is only open limited hours and they are now closed due to Covid.  They don't take credit cards but they do accept checks.  Those are the negatives of the place.  The positives are that they have wonderful crafts that are guaranteed to be made by indigenous peoples.  By buying there, you help support the native peoples and the hospital that ministers to their health needs and not to some shop that may not be locally owned and that buys stuff from China.  

I have bought a lot of stuff from the shop and I love all of the stuff.

I will add that I have bought salmon from Salmon Etc. in Ketchikan on every trip for me and for my family as gifts.   I and my family have also ordered from their WEB site.  We have always been satisfied w their products.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Did you also check out the suggestions and reports posted on the three "Live From" threads?

I've read quite a bit from the Live From threads which is where I got Blasphemous Bill's from but it's hard to sort through all of those posts for just the shopping information so figured I'd ask. Learned a lot of other information from the threads though. I also didn't see a thread made recently that was just regarding the shopping.

• Like 1

I am also a quilter and also always spend some time at the Rushin' Tailor in Skagway.  I never purchase fabric, but do find their pattern inventory interesting.

In Ketchikan I like the RayTroll gallery named Soho Coho.  It is located on Creek Street.

In Juneau I also stop by the Juneau Artists Gallery.  Products vary depending on who is participating in that co-op.  

Also in Juneau I stop by the Sealaksa Heritage Institute's gift store.  While this shop has some mass produced inventory they feature works by Sealaska shareholders (Haida, Tlingit & Tsimshian First Peoples).

Well after buying back to multiple school shirts & socks for 5/7/8 yr olds at Alaska Shirt Co in Juneau, chocolate at Alaska Fudge Co (Juneau) & Tongass (Ketchikan), all the coasters at a Mom&Pop Skagway, and a dream catcher I cannot close what was my 1/2 empty suitcase. And I NEVER shop. What to do day before disembarkation? 

I didn't get a bag anywhere bc I don't want plastic -- just used the Princess one over & over

Just a reminder.  Lots of cruisers stop by the post office in Skagway, Juneau and elsewhere along the way to send their nonperishable tourist treasures home.  That way you don’t have to stuff them in your luggage for the return flight.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were told in one port (I can't remember which...) to look for a sticker in the window of shops that are actually owned/operated by Alaskans and not just set up for tourists from the cruise ships. We were able to find these and it helped direct our shopping. 

On 8/25/2021 at 7:21 PM, beeandkmon said:

We were told in one port (I can't remember which...) to look for a sticker in the window of shops that are actually owned/operated by Alaskans and not just set up for tourists from the cruise ships. We were able to find these and it helped direct our shopping. 

https://www.travelalaska.com/Planning/Tips/Made-in-Alaska.aspx

We loved The Loom in Skagway.  They had hand loomed products made in Alaska that were gorgeous. When we were there two weeks ago, everything was half off!!  I also love the porcelain earrings with beautiful swirls of gold and color called Gold Vein Designs found in Skagway at A Fine Line on Broadway.  Also found Alaska Artworks in Skagway to have beautiful prints done by Alaskans and a very friendly shop keeper.  I have many beautiful pieces collected over the years from the artist in Skagway.  It is our favorite!

We always visit House of Russia in Juneau.  Though expensive, they have beautiful Santas and nesting dolls.  For inexpensive gifts for grandchildren, the shirt company near the dock in Juneau is best.

We saw bears catching salmon on an excursion in Ketchikan, so we went looking for a piece to remember that bucket list event.  I don't remember the name exactly, but something Stoneworks had so many hand made stone bears and we got one for less than half price as it was the end of the day and they were closing for the night soon.  They can tell you if they made it or their uncle or cousin, so Alaskan made.