Venice to charge and require reservations for entry in 2022

KirkNC

How do you enforce this? Do you build a wall? Border crossings? Wear arm bands? 

I can see where it could work on group and charter tours but individual day visits?

Will be interesting to see how they plan to to do this.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I can see where it could work on group and charter tours but individual day visits?

The article said they would install turnstiles at points of entry.

30 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Along with the turnstiles, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it having to be paid when you arrive at Venice airport.

Brazil has certainly had no problem collecting it and in advance 😉 

So glad we've been there multiple times and the best was the last.......in the fall prior to a B2B  crossing when we could just walk about freely with minimal crowds. And we walked into St Marks without a line! 

We've only been to Venice by land: arriving by train and departing via private boat across the lagoon to the airport. Since they also seem to be getting serious about limiting access to large cruise ships, I'd imaging that (in addition to the turnstiles mentioned) they'd simply add an arrival fee to rail and airfares. It doesn't sound like they've got this figured out since the article also says that they might only put turnstiles around congested areas (mentioning the Plaza San Marco). I don't see how that could work since there are so many ways to enter that particular area. Are the turnstiles going to be float mounted so they're accessible when there's a meter of water on the cobbles?

Frequent HAL cruisers should get free entry to Venice, since we indirectly contribute so much to the local economy through shipbuilding at Ficantieri, which you pass if you're on a train leaving Venice...I saw the Nieuw Statendam being assembled there on my last visit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rj59 said:

Frequent HAL cruisers should get free entry to Venice, since we indirectly contribute so much to the local economy through shipbuilding at Ficantieri, which you pass if you're on a train leaving Venice...I saw the Nieuw Statendam being assembled there on my last visit. 

I like that, maybe it could become a new Mariner perk…. 

• Like 1

This has been announced late 2019, when city council had approved this. I think a standard fee for cruise passengers would be 5 Euro.

It was supposed to be implemented in 2020, but for obvious reasons postponed. Most likely, fees will be substantially higher in 2022, than initially announced. 
https://www.thelocal.it/20191025/venice-to-begin-charging-entry-fee-july-2020/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&amp

Edited by Alphen

On 8/21/2021 at 5:20 PM, aliaschief said:

I was just thinking about your question and think it is workable.  There are only a few ways to get into Venice including a single causeway, train, and some smaller boats such as the Alilaguna.  Just controlling a few entry points would be very effective.  The trains could be handled by a simple add-on fee to any ticket to Venice.  The causeway would need some type of tolling system.  The boats would also need to be controlled...but only on the few routes that actually bring folks in from outside Venice.  

But we often use the saying, "Ahhhh this is Italy!" which means that it is a country with numerous plans that never happen of take decades to implement.   But there is no question that Italy has several places (including Venice and Cinque Terre) that are have an extreme overtourism problem.

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

I was just thinking about your question and think it is workable.  There are only a few ways to get into Venice including a single causeway, train, and some smaller boats such as the Alilaguna.  Just controlling a few entry points would be very effective.  The trains could be handled by a simple add-on fee to any ticket to Venice.  The causeway would need some type of tolling system.  The boats would also need to be controlled...but only on the few routes that actually bring folks in from outside Venice.  

But we often use the saying, "Ahhhh this is Italy!" which means that it is a country with numerous plans that never happen of take decades to implement.   But there is no question that Italy has several places (including Venice and Cinque Terre) that are have an extreme overtourism problem.

Hank

A few weeks ago our PCC was saying that plans were being made for Venice. This week stated “don’t know what’s going to happen?”All I know were booked for 14 days on Rotterdam and then it’s ride over to Rotterdam for 54 days on the Volendam. If we miss Venice not a deal breaker. Have been there twice while stationed in Europe. 

Thanks for the insight.