LIVE Geoherb's Solo Cruise on Majestic Princess, August 22, 2021

geoherb

22 hours ago, farsight said:

@geoherbThanks for all the great live posts. We will be on the 9/26/2021 Majestic sailing and have been glued to these "Live From" threads. I had lowered my expectations for the "Live Froms" after the first few, but you delivered in spades! I don't think I could have possibly missed it but I asked a question early on that I did not see an answer to. You posted that you had gotten Wifi calling set up on your phone. What was your experience with it north of Vancouver Island? Thanks again. We loved your thread!

The Wi-Fi speed was horrible most of the cruise. But I had low expectations. I knew better than to expect to be able to stream shows. Many times, I gave up on posting photos to this thread because they'd fail to upload. I called home from the ports and did not use Wi-Fi calling after the first sea day--but then we were in port almost every day.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, san diego sue said:

There are two fantastic Opera singers that we have seen on several of the Princess ships. Both have been incredible. Does anyone know which one is being discussed. We will be on the Majestic and look forward to Encore, one of our favorite shows.

This one was Barbi McCulloch. I don't know if she will be staying on the ship for additional cruises or not. 

Back to reality. Yesterday went smoothly. I love the Port Valet service being offered free from Seattle. It was great. I had my final breakfast in the dining room, joining a couple I had eaten with a couple of times before. I was running late, so I had the fruit plate and smoked salmon with sliced avocado on rye toast. I made it to the Symphony Dining Room (the meeting place for my group) around 5 minutes early. The host was announcing a group to go along with the groups he had previously called, which included mine. It was a short wait to get off the ship.

Walking by the luggage without having to search for my bag was  terrific. I don't know why more people did not use the service. There was a little bit of a wait to get on the shuttle bus to the airport. It was a beautiful day. I saw something I had not seen in a week--the sun. 

I sat on the bus with a woman who had attended the top 40 luncheon. She showed me photos of the food. The appetizer choices were between burrata and crab cake. The main course choices were between a veal chop and fish (I don't remember what kind of fish). The dessert was a chocolate creation that looked similar to the hazelnut chocolate journey. She said everything was wonderful.

The security lines at SeaTac were not bad. I had plenty of time to kill. I walked through the airport looking at the various restaurant options and some of the stores. I even took the train. I found out that the airport's various gates are all connected except that there's no way currently to get from the N gates without using the train. That's where my plane landed last week.

I ran into one of my friends from the cruise. We ate lunch at one of the Chinese takeaway places. My kung pao chicken and beef broccoli with lo mein were very good. The portions were generous for the price. I had saved a plastic water bottle to refill after getting past security. 

My Delta flight started boarding at 3:00 and left a little bit early. I was fortunate to have a window seat with no one in the middle seat. The flight to Raleigh was smooth except for some turbulence over Indiana.

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Have seen her perform many times and enjoyed her shows.Thank you .

She is full of energy and I enjoyed most of her performance. I went back the last night when she performed again. She did more pop music that time. The only aria was "Nessun Dorma."  Perhaps I should not have mentioned that she missed a few notes in one song during Encore. But she realized it too.

• Like 2

Princess emailed me my final statement this afternoon. It's the amount I was expecting. The only additional charge that appeared since I received a printout the last day from the self-service kiosk was the $30 for my checked luggage. That's the fee that Delta charges and gets passed on through Princess. My total was a lot less than previous cruises. I purchased just two drinks on board during the cruise, prepaid for my internet (and received 50% back), only purchased one bottle of alcohol from the ship's shops, had the winemaker's dinner, and had the daily crew incentive show up on the statement. It's nice not to have any surprises. 

One of my recommendations on the survey and to one of the medallion folks was that Princess should allow us to view the statements on our computers and televisions still. If you try to view it on the television, it tells you to see it on the app. Trying to read the statement on my phone was next to impossible. That's why I got the paper printout a couple of times. 

• Like 5

Anyone on board right now sign up for the Chef’s Table?

I talked to MD Neville today and it sounds like there is enough people signed up to have it.

He will let us know which day it is.

See you there

• Like 1

8 hours ago, geoherb said:

The Wi-Fi speed was horrible most of the cruise. But I had low expectations. I knew better than to expect to be able to stream shows. Many times, I gave up on posting photos to this thread because they'd fail to upload. I called home from the ports and did not use Wi-Fi calling after the first sea day--but then we were in port almost every day.

Wi-Fi speed is fine. I am able to download large contract files no problem and we set up wi-fi calling.

3 hours ago, gvre said:

Anyone on board right now sign up for the Chef’s Table?

I talked to MD Neville today and it sounds like there is enough people signed up to have it.

He will let us know which day it is.

See you there

I think you realized you were on the wrong Live From as this is last week's voyage?