Best Cabin for Transatlantic Cruise on Edge

kebrown

We are considering booking a transatlantic cruise aboard the Edge next year and are trying to decide if we should book a Sunset Veranda or Aqua Class.  I was leaning toward Sunset veranda since it has a true balcony.  However, I was thinking that maybe Aqua Class would be better for a transatlantic cruise since there are so many days at sea and we would have free access to the spa.  For those of you who have sailed on an E-Class ship, is Aqua Class a better choice than Sunset veranda on transatlantic cruises with many days at sea?  All opinions appreciated.

I haven’t sailed on the Edge, but I have taken five TAs, and, speaking only for myself, I can’t imagine not having a real balcony on a TA (or any cruise with a lot of seas days). I guess it really comes down to “how” you cruise — what’s important to you — and how you think you’d enjoy an Infinite Veranda.  (They don’t interest me, buy YMMV.)

Enjoy whatever you decide!

We did  AQ on our 1st  Edge cruise because we enjoy Blu, however on our next 2 Edge cruises we have chosen to book a SV.  We don't use the spa so that doesn't figure into the equation for us.  We didn't hate the Infinite Veranda but we much prefer a true balcony.  The 4 MDRs on the Edge get excellent reviews and since they are each smaller than the traditional MDR much quieter.  

There was a recent discussion of the use of the spa included with AQ and it seemed what you have access to is somewhat limited.  Maybe someone else can  comment on the spa.

We usually book Aqua class on Celebrity because we much prefer Blu to the MDR.  We generally don't use the spa, but it sounds as though that might be a consideration for you.  We have booked our first cruise on the Edge (2022 TA) and after much consideration booked an SV cabin, rather than Aqua.  Our decision was based on two issues-----having a real balcony vs the infinite one.  The second and, most important to us, was the dining venue issue.  Many reviews about Blu on the Edge described the restaurant as rather crowed on deck 5 with no ocean windows, only out to life boats..  Some even said noise from the walkways came into the restaurant.  In addition the choice of 4 different MDR venues swayed us to opt out of aqua class.

Jan

1 hour ago, kebrown said:

We are considering booking a transatlantic cruise aboard the Edge next year and are trying to decide if we should book a Sunset Veranda or Aqua Class.  I was leaning toward Sunset veranda since it has a true balcony.  However, I was thinking that maybe Aqua Class would be better for a transatlantic cruise since there are so many days at sea and we would have free access to the spa.  For those of you who have sailed on an E-Class ship, is Aqua Class a better choice than Sunset veranda on transatlantic cruises with many days at sea?  All opinions appreciated.

Keep in mind, TA can get very rough so if you have any issues with sea sickness midship is better but aft better than forward.  We had 2 very rough days on our TA but I’d do it again in a heartbeat 

6 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I try to stay out of the sun so I don't think I would enjoy a sunset veranda.  When I book TAs, I always try to book a north facing veranda.  If I find I need some full sunshine, I can always go out by the pool. 

I don’t go in the sun on the balcony but  sitting on the balcony after the sun sets and watching the wake is wonderful 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kebrown said:

No idea, but here are 2 considerations 

1) AQ on Solstice class only gives you access to Persian Garden, not the entire spa. I think there are limits on Edge also, but not sure exactly what those are.

2) we were in AQ on a TA with no access to balcony or decks for a week. When we started across the Atlantic our balcony furniture was secured and that was it for a week. Long story, and I personally would still choose the balcony, but know that TAs can have complications.

For what it’s worth, we have 2 cruises booked on Apex next year, the port intensive trip is in a regular IV, because we don’t think the ship will make that much difference, and the TA is in a suite, partly to get a balcony. 

17 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I try to stay out of the sun so I don't think I would enjoy a sunset veranda.  When I book TAs, I always try to book a north facing veranda.  If I find I need some full sunshine, I can always go out by the pool. 

My first thought on this thread was "Which direction is the ship going?"

An SV is either a SunSET or SunRISE. 

Sunset gets more afternoon sun & heat, but also the actual sunset.

Sunrise gives afternoon shade, and the sunrise which late-risers might miss.

I'd pick either over an IV

We recently booked our first Transatlantic.  I really wanted to book an SV, but DH is concerned about motion so he wanted to be midship.  I really wanted a traditional balcony hoping we will have time to enjoy sitting out on it.  I talked him into a Sky Suite.  We booked an S3 between the Magic Carpet supports... can't get much more midship than that.

POSH or SHPO

Everybody knows 'posh' stands for "port out, starboard home." ... For those who don't know the story, here it is: on ocean voyages between Britain and India, the most desirable cabins—the ones that didn't get the afternoon heat—were on the port side out and on the starboard side home.

So POSH for Eastbound and SHPO on Westbound   if you like shade and reverse if you want afternoon sun.

How much motion is there on a TA typically?   Only went so far as to book one once, and then realized that we had totally forgotten about a different cruise that we had booked and cancelled the TA.  

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

POSH or SHPO

Everybody knows 'posh' stands for "port out, starboard home." ... For those who don't know the story, here it is: on ocean voyages between Britain and India, the most desirable cabins—the ones that didn't get the afternoon heat—were on the port side out and on the starboard side home.

So POSH for Eastbound and SHPO on Westbound   if you like shade and reverse if you want afternoon sun.

Thanks Jim for the inside scoop....I know I'm not 'everybody', not even a 'somebody', so I didn't know about POSH or SHPO.  Checking my next June itinerary, seems we go east and west on both cruises.  I suppose having an SV we'll have sun both ways throughout the day either from the right or the left...port or starboard in the proper vernacular...LOL?

2 hours ago, D C said:

How much motion is there on a TA typically?   Only went so far as to book one once, and then realized that we had totally forgotten about a different cruise that we had booked and cancelled the TA.  

Need more information as to what route you are takin.  There are 3 normal routes for TA --  Southern Crossing with a stop in the Canaries, a Mid Atlantic with a stop  in  the Azores or a Northern Crossing.

Weather is always variable to nothing is guaranteed.    As a general rule the Southern Crossings are very smooth.    Mid-Atlantic variable but usually smoother but cooler and wetter.

A Northern Crossing tend to have rougher seas, cooler weather and much wetter.  A couple years ago  on the northern crossing we had to dodge a hurricane and had to go south of the Azores to clear the storm.   Our deck furniture was tied down for the complete crossing and we arrived Boston one day late and had to  reduce one port and shifted all ports by one day.

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

A Northern Crossing tend to have rougher seas, cooler weather and much wetter.  A couple years ago  on the northern crossing we had to dodge a hurricane and had to go south of the Azores to clear the storm.   Our deck furniture was tied down for the complete crossing and we arrived Boston one day late and had to  reduce one port and shifted all ports by one day.

And that’s the same cruise I was talking about where we were unable to really use the balcony for a week.

To answer the rough issue, even on that cruise, it was only really rough going across the Bay of Biscay, so first sea day into evening and then one other day when we were completely past the hurricane, but it was just a stormy sort of day, maybe one day out of Boston? Can’t remember exactly.

The chances of having a TA like that one is low, especially on the Southern routes, but does exist.

@cangelmd   We must have gone through the same storm but a different ship.   We departed from Southampton on Silhouette so didn't cross the Bay of Biscay.   If I recall Edge was in front of us and Queen Mary was behind us on the same route.    We had a couple days rough seas until the  Azores and then pretty smooth.  When we got to Boston there had been an Ice Storm and the decks were like a skating rink and one lady behind me on way to clear customs fell before they closed the outside deck.  

We may be lucky but I have never had a bad Southern Crossing (10 Southern Crossings).     Sometimes it was so smooth it felt like a lake and weather like Hawaii for most of the crossing.  

Edited by Jim_Iain

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We may be lucky but I have never had a bad Southern Crossing (10 Southern Crossings).     Sometimes it was so smooth it felt like a lake and weather like Hawaii for most of the crossing.  

We have done the southern crossing half a dozen times and agree with your description of the water and weather.  Smooth sailing and perfect temperatures.  We have done the northern crossing twice and hit no storms or rough water.  Maybe just lucky.

• Thanks 1

@cangelmd   We must have gone through the same storm but a different ship.   We departed from Southampton on Silhouette so didn't cross the Bay of Biscay.   If I recall Edge was in front of us and Queen Mary was behind us on the same route.    We had a couple days rough seas until the  Azores and then pretty smooth.  When we got to Boston there had been an Ice Storm and the decks were like a skating rink and one lady behind me on way to clear customs fell before they closed the outside deck.  

I'm pretty sure we were on the same trip - Silhouette, early Nov 2018 - I thought we skirted across the Bay of Biscay to get south before turning back northwest toward Boston. Likely my geography is off!

It was smooth after the first couple of days, but very windy for most of the crossing and they never opened the deck or balcony.

In your experience, are the balconies accessible during the crossing?

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

A couple years ago  on the northern crossing we had to dodge a hurricane and had to go south of the Azores to clear the storm.   Our deck furniture was tied down for the complete crossing and we arrived Boston one day late and had to  reduce one port and shifted all ports by one day.

17 hours ago, cangelmd said:

And that’s the same cruise I was talking about where we were unable to really use the balcony for a week.

To answer the rough issue, even on that cruise, it was only really rough going across the Bay of Biscay, so first sea day into evening and then one other day when we were completely past the hurricane, but it was just a stormy sort of day, maybe one day out of Boston? Can’t remember exactly.

@cangelmdWe must have gone through the same storm but a different ship.   We departed from Southampton on Silhouette so didn't cross the Bay of Biscay.   If I recall Edge was in front of us and Queen Mary was behind us on the same route.    We had a couple days rough seas until the  Azores and then pretty smooth.  When we got to Boston there had been an Ice Storm and the decks were like a skating rink and one lady behind me on way to clear customs fell before they closed the outside deck.  

32 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I'm pretty sure we were on the same trip - Silhouette, early Nov 2018 - I thought we skirted across the Bay of Biscay to get south before turning back northwest toward Boston. Likely my geography is off!

@Jim_Iain and @cangelmd -- we were all together on the Nov. 3, 2018 Silhouette TA.  😊 We had to skirt a major, major windstorm blowing east across much of the north Atlantic (I don't recall anyone calling it a hurricane).  Immediately after leaving Southampton, we made a beeline to head south towards the Azores, to avoid the worst of the winds (although we still had plenty).  You may recall that the Captain put up weather maps for several days; below is a photo I took on November 7, 2018 of that day's map.  The red ship shows the route we actually took; the yellow is our route as originally scheduled.  You can see that we sailed past the Bay of Biscay, as we had to in order to go as far south as we did.

One of my friends was on the Queen Mary, which left Southampton right after we did.  With a 7-day crossing, they did not have the luxury of changing their course much (or else their Captain didn't care to, it being the Queen Mary 😂).  My friend and I were exchanging emails during the crossings, and they really got walloped by the winds, as you can see from the route that the Silhouette was originally scheduled to take.

The weather notwithstanding, we really enjoyed that crossing.

Judith

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQbqzmfUzs1TKKqcvQ-amoceqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1629905060

(photo by turtles06)