Question for those who have used CVS for testing?

maggieq

There’s a long discussion thread about what is/isn’t acceptable regarding COVID tests.  I’m too lazy to look it up.

But, in general, those Rapid ID tests you buy and then take home to administer are not acceptable.  Anyone could take the test and Celebrity can not verify you actually are the one who took it.  Celebrity requires the test to be administered or observed by a healthcare professional.

Aside from the previous answers about having the test covered by insurance, there’s one question which asks whether you (we) have been exposed to anyone with COVID.  Grocery store?  Gas station?  I really don’t know.  I don’t think any of us do.  So, I answer “yes”.  That should be enough to get the test covered.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Second guessing our EDT early morning CVS rapid antigen appointments for Tuesday 9/7 for a noon PDT boarding on 9/10....

Has anyone successfully boarded a Celebrity ship with negative test in hand 3 days out vs. the 72 hours initially required?

We were told rapid antigen tests were only acceptable within 48 hours before boarding (the timeframe for PCR was 72 hours). Because our test results did not reference PCR, they said they had to assume they were antigen tests and because we were more than 48 hours after the test was done they made us take new Antigen tests at the port.

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

PCR - these tests are being collected by CVS and shipped to a central lab for testing. The disparity in TAT you read about here is based on the location of the CVS in relation to their lab (there’s more than one central lab) and the volume of testing/whether or not you are in a hot spot (that’s going to vary day by day, almost)

IDNow- Abbott loves the name IDNow, so they use it for a lot of their rapid Covid tests. One is the Abbott Binax IDNow (they bought a company called Binax that made this test originally), it is the rapid antigen test. According to Celebrity detailed information, it is an acceptable test if the collection is observed, which it would be at a CVS, or you can order the test and do collection at home - in that case, you need to buy the telehealth observation. This test could easily be collected and performed at the CVS location, although they likely might not do the test while you wait or still may forward to a central location - I don’t know how CVS is handling that.

Abbott also makes a small instrument which they call IDNow - this is the instrument that was famously doing the testing in the Trump White House. It is a NAAT test, uses reagents similar to a PCR, but requires only a little training and is very fast (15 minutes vs hour to 2hours for a full scale PCR). It is meant for use in Drs offices, ERs, etc. There was confusion about the acceptability of this test, but Celebrity latest update clearly says NAAT testing is acceptable and that includes this test.

I think it is unlikely that CVS would be doing this test on site, but it would NOT be called an antigen test, it is a test for viral RNA like a traditional PCR.

Clear as mud, right?

I'm not writing to dispute anything you have said, but do you want to know that we had in person rapid return PCR tests at a CVS Minute Clinic and received a phone call with the results in less than 30 minutes, which suggest to me they were processing those tests on site. It took a couple of hours from the results to show up on my mail and on the MyChart account.

37 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I'm not writing to dispute anything you have said, but do you want to know that we had in person rapid return PCR tests at a CVS Minute Clinic and received a phone call with the results in less than 30 minutes, which suggest to me they were processing those tests on site. It took a couple of hours from the results to show up on my mail and on the MyChart account.

No, you arent disputing at all, you are elaborating.

A CVS Minute Clinic is different than a CVS store that just offers shots and testing. I’m honestly not certain if Minute Clinics are even legal in my state.
Point being as people get advice here on this forum, the situation in your city or state may be very different. An Abbott IDNow could be turned around easily in 30 minutes and it is an isothermal PCR NAAT test - a Minute Clinic is a bit like a mini urgent care, so it is quite feasible for the testing to be done on site.

If I was getting ready for a cruise in say the next couple of weeks, I would get a copy of the Celebrity guidance, which is now quite detailed, and go visit my local Walgreens, CVS, etc and talk to hopefully the pharmacist or other personnel. If they act bewildered, ask for someone else.

As many questions and issues as we have had around travel at my lab, a large Corp like CVS will figure this out quickly and have info available about type of test, TAT and the info included with the results.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 39august said:

5:00 Somewhere What? Antigen test has to be 48 hrs. before boarding?! I hope not as we will be flying 48 hours before boarding.  Are you going from St. Martin? We are going out of Florida. 

This was pertaining only to St. Maarten cruises. These cruises are finished so I don't want to add to the confusion but...

St. Maarten entry requirements were a PCR test 72 hours from departure or an Antigen test 48 hours prior to departure. 

Celebrity Cruises requirement was a PCR test within 72hours/3 days.

Florida cruises remain the normal test 3 days prior to cruise departure. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

As many questions and issues as we have had around travel at my lab, a large Corp like CVS will figure this out quickly and have info available about type of test, TAT and the info included with the results.

Sorry to disagree with you.  CVS has nothing to do with those services. I posted about the invalid info I received from the Minute Clinic. I talked to  CVS Manager who told me CVS could do nothing other than listen. 

This is like Customer service when you call a Cruise Line or go to a store.

Lack of: qualified people, training, informing personnel and people caring.

Encounter that frequently regardless of subject. JMO.

After may many phone calls. We are getting the ID NOW from Walgreens. It is a NAAT test. Called 2 pharmacies talked to 2 different Pharmacists not aid. Neither would give me info on NAAT test. Found all info on Google. 

On 8/23/2021 at 3:05 PM, maggieq said:

Booked for the antigen and wondering 1. How timely the results are?  And 2. Are the results sent to email so we can print out?

many thanks! 

Just tested this morning.   Took test at 10:00 am.  Test was resulted at 10:20, and CVS called me with the results at 10:31.   Didn’t realize it was them, as it came from a number in Providence , Rhode Island, which I didn’t recognize.   

I called them, back and woman answered immediately, verbally gave me the results, then stated that a text with a link would arrive shortly, and from there I could create a PDF.  Also, I had to establish a MyChart acct immediately after sample was given.  

I sent the PDF to my files and also copied the link into an email and sent it to myself.   

Very simple process.  

Edited by 4cats4me

10 hours ago, cangelmd said:

... Abbott also makes a small instrument which they call IDNow ...  It is a NAAT test, uses reagents similar to a PCR, but requires only a little training and is very fast (15 minutes vs hour to 2hours for a full scale PCR). ...  There was confusion about the acceptability of this test, but Celebrity latest update clearly says NAAT testing is acceptable and that includes this test.  I think it is unlikely that CVS would be doing this test on site, but it would NOT be called an antigen test, it is a test for viral RNA like a traditional PCR.

Thank you, "cangelmd," for writing about this -- and giving us some peace of mind. 

The Abbott IDNow is being used at some Walgreen's stores in our area.  We went to a store to give it a try, some days ago -- to see if it would produce results (a document) that would be accepted by Celebrity.  The formal document (stored at a secure site) was an unalterable PDF that referred to the test as "Rapid Diagnostic Test (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test NAAT)" -- "Result: Negative," fortunately.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 2:54 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Yes but if you answer all of the questions no it will say you are not eligible for a test and tell you you can be tested anyway for a price.

On 8/25/2021 at 3:00 PM, gjohns24 said:

Well you should answer "Yes" for the first question as it's asking if you are getting tested due to travel, which you are:

"Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 for future travel, work or recreation (according to CDC guidelines)?"

As long as you answer yes for this, it shouldn't matter what your answers are for the rest.  Just answer honestly.

14 hours ago, terrydtx said:

That is why you answer the reason is for travel question with a yes. Our test Tuesday at CVS 100% covered by insurance.

I answered the first question yes, all the rest no.   Never received a message stating that I might have to pay, showed up this morning, showed them my health insurance card, nothing was mentioned regarding payment.  If my insurer won’t pay, then I will, but I think they HAVE to pay.  Several months ago, that was not necessarily the case. 

On 8/25/2021 at 5:28 PM, gjohns24 said:

If there's any confusion on cost of test....this is directly from the CVS website as you are scheduling your test.  Spells it out crystal clear.

image.png.5f2e188d87292ad1472c3cce5683079f.png

It is easy for CVS to say that since they are the ones selling the testing. They're certainly not paying for it.

Per the post in #79, I contacted my insurance company (Anthem BCBS California) and was told 

Please note that for Covid-19 testing for travel, Anthem will cover testing that is medically necessary to diagnose and treat as determined by a health care clinician who has made an assessment of a patient.

In other words, if a claim comes to them for a screening test not ordered by a health care provider (e.g. for the purposes of travel), they say they're not paying for it.

The advice given in this thread to pay close attention to wording and answer appropriately is sound.

1 hour ago, 39august said:

Can we get a printed copy of our results while at CVS, please?  If not, will X take the email results on an I pad?

Always good to check Celebrity's web site.  This is from the FAQ (so I would say yes to the iPad):

Providing Your Results On Departure Day

You will present your negative test result at the terminal upon boarding. Print out your results for easy access, as you may need to present it at various points. We will also accept a valid results document presented on your phone.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

18 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Just tested this morning.   Took test at 10:00 am.  Test was resulted at 10:20, and CVS called me with the results at 10:31.   Didn’t realize it was them, as it came from a number in Providence , Rhode Island, which I didn’t recognize.   

I called them, back and woman answered immediately, verbally gave me the results, then stated that a text with a link would arrive shortly, and from there I could create a PDF.  Also, I had to establish a MyChart acct immediately after sample was given.  

I sent the PDF to my files and also copied the link into an email and sent it to myself.   

Very simple process.  

THANK YOU ! - For this very clear, informative post ! 

3 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

THANK YOU ! - For this very clear, informative post ! 

I had a very similar experience at CVS in North Florida. Took the test, thru Minute Clinic, at 12:30. Nurse who supervised the test (you do the swab yourself under the guidance of the nurse) said  results would be available within 2 hours. I drove home (15 minutes), started lunch, just after 1:00, cell phone rang with an unidentified caller. The nurse had said to answer any call on my phone as it could come from any number of area codes, It was the nurse calling to report negative test results.

3 hours ago, Straughn said:

I had a very similar experience at CVS in North Florida. Took the test, thru Minute Clinic, at 12:30. Nurse who supervised the test (you do the swab yourself under the guidance of the nurse) said  results would be available within 2 hours. I drove home (15 minutes), started lunch, just after 1:00, cell phone rang with an unidentified caller. The nurse had said to answer any call on my phone as it could come from any number of area codes, It was the nurse calling to report negative test results.

Assuming you also got the info via text/email/mychart?

Edited by Heather1972