Two Pfizer covid doses more than 42 days apart

whippet0

My wife and I have had two doses of the Pfizer covid-19 vaccine but they are more than 42 days apart (Mine is 46 days apart and my wife's is 60 days apart). The Pfizer guidelines state that the two doses must be between 28 and 42 days apart. Does this mean my vaccation will not be recognized by the CDC?

We live in Ontario and that was the absolute earliest possible time we could get our second dose. I'm wondering if this means we will no longer be able to take a cruise.  😞

Edited by whippet0
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, whippet0 said:

My wife and I have had two doses of the Pfizer covid-19 vaccine but they are more than 42 days apart (Mine is 46 days apart and my wife's is 60 days apart). The Pfizer guidelines state that the two doses must be between 28 and 42 days apart. Does this mean my vaccation will not be recognized by the CDC?

We live in Ontario and that was the absolute earliest possible time we could get our second dose. I'm wondering if this means we will no longer be able to take a cruise.  😞

I have wondered the same thing. If they only look at your second vaccination certificate, it won't matter - but I have no idea what vaccination documents are required (or if it varies by cruise line). 

Completely off topic, do you have whippets? 

26 minutes ago, whippet0 said:

I live in Ontario as well.   When I booked my first dose in May, the system automatically gave a date in August that I could have the second dose.   Obviously I’m way over the 42 day period.   It wasn’t until end of July that I could move the date up earlier and even at that it was only to 01 Aug.   I never considered this 28 to 42 days apart issue.   I assumed the system knew what it was doing when it booked me in August.  And now I’m hearing news of a 3rd one (booster).   It sucks that no one seems to be on the same page with regards to vaccines.     

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

I live in Ontario as well.   When I booked my first dose in May, the system automatically gave a date in August that I could have the second dose.   Obviously I’m way over the 42 day period.   It wasn’t until end of July that I could move the date up earlier and even at that it was only to 01 Aug.   I never considered this 28 to 42 days apart issue.   I assumed the system knew what it was doing when it booked me in August.  And now I’m hearing news of a 3rd one (booster).   It sucks that no one seems to be on the same page with regards to vaccines.     

It's really frustrating, isn't it. I'm only 7 days past the 42 day window, and I'm thinking it's highly unlikely we'll be able to get a third shot any time soon. 

OP, are you looking to cruise from US ports or outside of the US ports?  Which cruise line?

For Royal Caribbean, with cruises from a US port, there is no issues with the days between doses.  The 28-42 day issue is for cruise ports outside of the US.

For Cruises Departing from Ports Outside of the U.S. 

For cruises departing from ports outside of the U.S., we will accept guests who are vaccinated with a mixed regimen consisting of 2 shots of the following manufacturer combinations: Pfizer and Moderna, or AstraZeneca with either Pfizer or Moderna. The doses must be separated by at least 28 days and not more than 42 days for mixes of Pfizer and Moderna, and separated by at least 4 weeks and not more than 12 weeks for combinations of AstraZeneca with Pfizer or Moderna.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

OP, are you looking to cruise from US ports or outside of the US ports?  Which cruise line?

For Royal Caribbean, with cruises from a US port, there is no issues with the days between doses.  The 28-42 day issue is for cruise ports outside of the US.

For Cruises Departing from Ports Outside of the U.S. 

For cruises departing from ports outside of the U.S., we will accept guests who are vaccinated with a mixed regimen consisting of 2 shots of the following manufacturer combinations: Pfizer and Moderna, or AstraZeneca with either Pfizer or Moderna. The doses must be separated by at least 28 days and not more than 42 days for mixes of Pfizer and Moderna, and separated by at least 4 weeks and not more than 12 weeks for combinations of AstraZeneca with Pfizer or Moderna.

The way I read this is that if you have mixed vaccines of Pfizer and Moderna, or AZ with either Pfizer or Moderna.   But if you have two Pfizer or two Moderna,  you are okay?   I have two Pfizer.   I have cruise back to back cruises in December.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

The way I read this is that if you have mixed vaccines of Pfizer and Moderna, or AZ with either Pfizer or Moderna.   But if you have two Pfizer or two Moderna,  you are okay?   I have two Pfizer.   I have cruise back to back cruises in December.

Well, ignore above.   I just looked at the CDC website.   And yes, even if you got both the same.   I did a calculation and I’m 88 days between.   Because I wasn’t allowed to get a second one before then.   And there is absolutely NOTHING on the Health Canada website.    No wonder people are getting frustrated.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, whippet0 said:

DO NOT WORRY!  You will be fine with doses more than 42 days apart as long as they were both Pfizer or Moderna.  I had this same worry and expressed it here in a thread about a month ago.  Lots of us wrote to Michael Bayley (CEO) and we received personal responses directly from his office saying we were fine to sail even if we were beyond the 42 days mentioned.  

I can confirm that this is true since all six of us in my family were vaccinated more than 42 days apart and we just returned from the Odyssey this past Sunday (it was amazing by the way).  They looked VERY closely at our documentation for our vaccinations and recorded both the dates of both shots and the type of vaccine into their systems.  They later checked our documents a 2nd time as we made the final clearance to board the ship (just in front of where the ship photographers try to take your boarding photo).  You will not trick them by presenting questionable documentation, so do not even try.

As long as you did not mix vaccines or use AZ, you will be clear to sail with RCCL.  Hopefully, those who had mixed vaccines or got AZ will be cleared to sail soon, since that is many Canadians.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Greyhound Crazy said:

@whippet0I figured it was either dogs, or perhaps those marshmallow cookies. I love whippets; we have two greyhounds, a big boy from West Virginia and a tiny girl from Ireland many people assume is a whippet. 🙂 

I get that as well.  Alot of people don't know what a whippet is and mistake my dogs for greyhounds.  🙂 

11 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

DO NOT WORRY!  You will be fine with doses more than 42 days apart as long as they were both Pfizer or Moderna.  I had this same worry and expressed it here in a thread about a month ago.  Lots of us wrote to Michael Bayley (CEO) and we received personal responses directly from his office saying we were fine to sail even if we were beyond the 42 days mentioned.  

I can confirm that this is true since all six of us in my family were vaccinated more than 42 days apart and we just returned from the Odyssey this past Sunday (it was amazing by the way).  They looked VERY closely at our documentation for our vaccinations and recorded both the dates of both shots and the type of vaccine into their systems.  They later checked our documents a 2nd time as we made the final clearance to board the ship (just in front of where the ship photographers try to take your boarding photo).  You will not trick them by presenting questionable documentation, so do not even try.

As long as you did not mix vaccines or use AZ, you will be clear to sail with RCCL.  Hopefully, those who had mixed vaccines or got AZ will be cleared to sail soon, since that is many Canadians.

Thanks! This is a big relief. 🙂   I have two cruises booked and I'm worried I'd get rejected at the port during embarkation. 

Edited by whippet0
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Greyhound Crazy said:

It's really frustrating, isn't it. I'm only 7 days past the 42 day window, and I'm thinking it's highly unlikely we'll be able to get a third shot any time soon. 

That is what I figure as well. I'm pretty sure it is going to be a very long time before we're able to get a 3rd vaccination. I wonder if the cruise lines will start requiring a 3rd vaccination in the the future.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, whippet0 said:

Thanks! This is a big relief. 🙂   I have two cruises booked and I'm worried I'd get rejected at the port during embarkation. 

I was REALLY worried about this as well.  I will include the email I received from Mr. Bayley's office below to further alleviate your stress (agent name blanked out though).

Hello Russ,

Thank you for your patience. It’s my pleasure to assist you on behalf of our Executives. Please accept my sincerest apology for not responding sooner.

I am sorry for any concern regarding the protocols for your cruise on the Odyssey of the Seas sailing on August 14, 2021. As long as both vaccines are from the same manufacturer, then the doses can be more than 42 days apart. You will be considered vaccinated.

Russ, thank you again for having contacted the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

T****** G****
Royal Guest Experience Management
Executive Team

• Like 2

Ours are 66 days apart (both Pfizer).  We don't cruise till July but it will be out of Dublin.  We're hoping to get a third dose before then.  I, too, wish everyone would get on the same page.  I feel very sorry for those who were advised to get whatever was being handed out as it was better to have the shot than not.  Then they were given AZ and a different second shot.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 12:27 PM, whippet0 said:

I have two whippets.  I guess my name "whippet0", gives it away, eh?  🙂  

We are considering a whippet, my major concern is, if we open the front door will they bolt and then run. (Terrified of an injury). They appear to be the most adorable loveable fur babies on the planet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 7:57 AM, Evilmuffin said:

This is so crazy.   Can’t mix, too much time between doses, not enough time between doses, etc, etc… next thing will be it had to be in your left arm only.   LOL

Seriously, how are we supposed to trust the people in charge?  They don’t really give a crap about the consequences of their decisions.  They just don’t want us to travel, end of story.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hubbards said:

Seriously, how are we supposed to trust the people in charge?  They don’t really give a crap about the consequences of their decisions.  They just don’t want us to travel, end of story.

😆🤣😭

Funny that, they just want to keep as many people alive as they can. Go figure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On both check ins on the Adventure (B2B) when they checked our vaccination cards they were just checking when your second dose was administered. They wanted to see if it was more than 14 days ago. Don't worry about the time between doses. They didn't.

Edited by Magicat
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 7:53 PM, Russ Lomas said:

Astra Zenica is accepted on Royal Caribbean.

22 hours ago, cnkgirl said:

Astra Zenica is accepted on Royal Caribbean.

Because things are confusing you need to clarify.

TWO doses of Astra Zeneca are fine. That has always been fine. That combo of vaccine doses have never been un acceptable.

It has always been the combo of different TYPES of vaccines.

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Because things are confusing you need to clarify.

TWO doses of Astra Zeneca are fine. That has always been fine. That combo of vaccine doses have never been un acceptable.

It has always been the combo of different TYPES of vaccines.

Yes correct 2 doses of Astra Zenica are accepted, but it’s amazing how much false  information there is on that. I even had a Celebrity rep and her supervisor tell me they were not except it and when I checked further into it with Celebrity it is accepted.

• Like 1