14-day quarantine in US hotel the real deterrent!

ilovetotravel1977

I've done a fair of digging on this, in preparation for our trip next Friday on Princess out of PE. We too are very worried about testing positive but certainly don't think it will happen.  BTW, Princess will pay for the pre-return test and cover your quarantine in the unlikely event you test positive.

I paid a visit to Montreal airport and had a long chat with a CBSA agent about all this. The only way you can't immediately come home with a + test is by commercial airliner from the US to Canada, as the airline won't let you board. You could spend the massive $$$s and fly privately, you could drive back,  take the train or fly inside the US to a border town since AFAIK US airlines don't require any testing or demonstration of COVID status for internal flights, then drive back over the border. Bottom line is that if you manage to show up at the border with a Positive PCR test result, they will let you in but you would probably have to quarantine. If you show up at the border with ANY Antigen test, they will also let you back in right after handing you fines worth around $6000 as the news media loves to report on. As to the magic 14 day rule after testing positive, I specifically asked the question, and the CBSA agent was very clear that only holds if you continue to test positive after subsequent tests; the moment you re-test negative after having tested positive, you can come home

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I've done a fair of digging on this, in preparation for our trip next Friday on Princess out of PE. We too are very worried about testing positive but certainly don't think it will happen.  BTW, Princess will pay for the pre-return test and cover your quarantine in the unlikely event you test positive.

I paid a visit to Montreal airport and had a long chat with a CBSA agent about all this. The only way you can't immediately come home with a + test is by commercial airliner from the US to Canada, as the airline won't let you board. You could spend the massive $$$s and fly privately, you could drive back,  take the train or fly inside the US to a border town since AFAIK US airlines don't require any testing or demonstration of COVID status for internal flights, then drive back over the border. Bottom line is that if you manage to show up at the border with a Positive PCR test result, they will let you in but you would probably have to quarantine. If you show up at the border with ANY Antigen test, they will also let you back in right after handing you fines worth around $6000 as the news media loves to report on. As to the magic 14 day rule after testing positive, the agent was very clear that only holds if you continue to test positive after subsequent tests; the moment you re-test negative after having tested positive, you can come home

Princess appears to be quite reasonable.   I assume that you will not need a test when you arrive in PE.  You will be taking a test in MTL and then using that test to get across the border and on to the ship?  I think the issue will be where you are staying in Florida for more than two days and you will need a test to get on the ship.   Then you are in no man's land with the cruiselines, in the unlikely situation where you test positive at a pharmacy in the US and have not checked into the cruise yet.

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

Princess appears to be quite reasonable.   I assume that you will not need a test when you arrive in PE.  You will be taking a test in MTL and then using that test to get across the border and on to the ship?  I think the issue will be where you are staying in Florida for more than two days and you will need a test to get on the ship.   Then you are in no man's land with the cruiselines, in the unlikely situation where you test positive at a pharmacy in the US and have not checked into the cruise yet.

We're flying YUL to FLL the day before the cruise, and doing an Antigen test at one of the drive-up testing sites that have sprung up all around Montreal in recent weeks.  The test two days before the cruise will satisfy both the Air Canada/US entry requirement and the Princess requirement, so we'll be fine (assuming we test negative of course ;o).  You're quite right that folks going down a few days ahead  will have a more complex set of requirements to sort through, though there are a ton of threads here on CC about getting tested in Florida near the port.  As to what happens if you test positive down in Florida because you couldn't get a timely test before leaving Canada, it depends on the cruise line. Again, Princess are quite clear in their FAQs that if you test positive even on Embarkation Day, they will of course deny you boarding, but will give you your cruise fare back as 100% FCC

On 11/14/2021 at 12:40 PM, DHP1 said:

“You cannot be refused entry into Canada”. Does that also apply for Air travels. I believe not??

Technically it applies to Air Travel, but you can be refused onto the plane flying to Canada.  Either way, you can't fly into Canada with a positive test.

3 hours ago, CKCruising said:

Technically it applies to Air Travel, but you can be refused onto the plane flying to Canada.  Either way, you can't fly into Canada with a positive test.

It's academic but I believe it more accurate to say one cannot fly into Canada on a commercial carrier with a positive test.

On 8/25/2021 at 2:24 PM, DirtyDawg said:

I WANT TO GO ON THE MOUNTAINEER!!!!

It's one of the things on my bucket list. 

We're renting a cottage for a family Thanksgiving-week getaway in Eastern Ontario in October and if we have to cancel the AI at New Years, I'll be lobbying Mrs. Dawg to do Ottawa and Montreal. I have never skated on the canal in Ottawa and it's been too long since we have been to old Montreal. Also, being from the GTA, it's been way too long since we have had a chance to cheer for a real NHL hockey team in person! (I love my Leafs ..... but we're talking about the Habs here!)

Hmm maybe you should rethink the Habs....not a good time