2022 World Cruise Cancelled....Zuiderdam to become WC Ship for 2023

boze9999

After our RCI Empress of the Seas Canada cruise was cancelled because the ship left the fleet - I was happy to book the Zaandam's May 12 - 21, 2022 Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal  (NOT Boston!) cruise. Now that it will be the first sailing of that ship in over 2 years, I'm not so excited! I hope the world of cruising is greatly improved by the time final payment is due in February. Fortunately, it was booked with a refundable deposit.

Edited by NancyIL

2 hours ago, boards said:

I must have missed where it was officially stated that there is not the "Crows Nest" on any or some of the ships.  It may have been reduced in size but I think the "Crows Nest" is still on all ships.  How can they removed the viewing area at the front of the "Observation Deck"?

The Crow's next is still there, just with a new usage of space and seating.  That said the forward facing seating with footstools is still extant, but the library shelving, internet area and coffee bar have been replaced by a shore excursions desk and touch screen tables with port/excursion information.  Seating areas have been reconfigured and their are now more cafe tables/seating better suited for things like playing cards, puzzles, having a coffee/snack, etc and a lecture space has been created port side near the entrance replacing some sofas/chairs, but it is still usable by all when no lectures are taking place.  Shelving has been significantly reduced for books and now is mostly big glossy coffee table books related to travel.  The coffee bar has been merged with the normal Crows Nest Bar and the name of the entire space is now EXC (Explorations Central) at the Crow's Nest.  This is the same refit that multiple other ships in the fleet have received.

To my knowledge the only ships that do not have the EXC/Crows Nest concept are Konigsdam, Noordam, Volendam and Zaandam - but please someone correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The Crow's next is still there, just with a new usage of space and seating.  That said the forward facing seating with footstools is still extant, but the library shelving, internet area and coffee bar have been replaced by a shore excursions desk and touch screen tables with port/excursion information.  Seating areas have been reconfigured and their are now more cafe tables/seating better suited for things like playing cards, puzzles, having a coffee/snack, etc and a lecture space has been created port side near the entrance replacing some sofas/chairs, but it is still usable by all when no lectures are taking place.  Shelving has been significantly reduced for books and now is mostly big glossy coffee table books related to travel.  The coffee bar has been merged with the normal Crows Nest Bar and the name of the entire space is now EXC (Explorations Central) at the Crow's Nest.  This is the same refit that multiple other ships in the fleet have received.

To my knowledge the only ships that do not have the EXC/Crows Nest concept are Konigsdam, Noordam, Volendam and Zaandam - but please someone correct me if I am wrong.

We were on one of the last cruises in 2020 on the Zaandam before cruising came to a dead stop.  The ship still had the full Crows Nest, although the ship was due for a renovation.  I specifically asked about the continuation of the full library, and I was assured that it would remain post-renovation.  I did not ask about the Crows Nest, however.  the Exc/Crows Nest is not want I want on a long voyage.  When we were on the GV Asia on the Amsterdam, The original Crows Nest was the most popular place on the ship during the evening, and the live music and dance floor was great. Are you saying that the Noordam and  Volendam still have the full Crows Nest?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

We were on one of the last cruises in 2020 on the Zaandam before cruising came to a dead stop.  The ship still had the full Crows Nest, although the ship was due for a renovation.  I specifically asked about the continuation of the full library, and I was assured that it would remain post-renovation.  I did not ask about the Crows Nest, however.  the Exc/Crows Nest is not want I want on a long voyage.  When we were on the GV Asia on the Amsterdam, The original Crows Nest was the most popular place on the ship during the evening, and the live music and dance floor was great. Are you saying that the Noordam and  Volendam still have the full Crows Nest?

At this time I believe that Zaandam, Volendam, Konigsdam and Noordam still retain their original Crow's Nest layout/design.  That said it seems at random whether there is any live entertainment of any type up there in the evenings, and may be voyage specific.  I know when I sailed the Amsterdam 14 days to Alaska in late July 2019 there was NEVER a band or ANY live entertainment there in the evenings.  Occasionally the assistant CD would act as a DJ in the late evenings to a virtually empty room, but not every night, and they did have the poorly attended Orange Party (DJ only no band) up there one night around 8-9pm in direct conflict with Late Dining.  The biggest use of the space was trivia and happy hour which were concurrent most afternoons around 4pm.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

38 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Volendam still has the full Crow’s Nest for sure.  The Meet and Greet I had originally scheduled on my cancelled cruise was scheduled to be in the Captain’s Corner - Crow’s Nest.

M & G’s on the Zuiderdam which has been modified was scheduled for the Billboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Volendam still has the full Crow’s Nest for sure.  The Meet and Greet I had originally scheduled on my cancelled cruise was scheduled to be in the Captain’s Corner - Crow’s Nest.

M & G’s on the Zuiderdam which has been modified was scheduled for the Billboard.

The M&Gs that I have attended at Billboard were not pleasant, too much noise from adjacent venues, too many random bystanders and passersbys, and a general lack of intimacy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Would HAL be smart enough to add back the library and the Crows Nest knowing that these are important on a long cruise; I wonder.

The worst thing for me as a solo is the lack of seating at the bar.  On a long cruise, nursing a glass of wine at the Crow's Nest bar is a wonderful way to meet people.  The other bars on the ship do not have quite the same ambiance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mame42 said:

The worst thing for me as a solo is the lack of seating at the bar.  On a long cruise, nursing a glass of wine at the Crow's Nest bar is a wonderful way to meet people.  The other bars on the ship do not have quite the same ambiance.

That is a lively place.  On some cruises I have seen a good crowd at ocean bar but agree CN is better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mame42 said:

The M&Gs that I have attended at Billboard were not pleasant, too much noise from adjacent venues, too many random bystanders and passersbys, and a general lack of intimacy.

Did not care Billboard as the site for the M&G on the Nieuw Statendam.  All that you said was experienced.  Yet, I managed to meet another cruising couple with whom I have maintained contact and consider friends.  

1 hour ago, mame42 said:

On a long cruise, nursing a glass of wine at the Crow's Nest bar is a wonderful way to meet people.  The other bars on the ship do not have quite the same ambiance.

The Crow's Nest used to be the place to be for an intimate, scenic watering hole when there was some light entertainment offered.  No longer.  The Ocean Bar is a much more vibrant watering hole.  During some cruises, there is some entertainment offered in the Ocean Bar.  On some, a lonely piano sits unused in its alcove.  

13 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

On some cruises I have seen a good crowd at ocean bar but agree CN is better.

Since the changes HAL made to the Crow's Nest Lounge, and specifically to the Bar itself, it is not a welcoming place to be for pre-dinner libations. 

• Like 2

I book 'suite' at mid-ship.  I sleep well and I don't give a hoot about the activity on the deck above.   What I do always enjoy, no matter where ever I am on a vessel, is the slight tremor of the deck under my feet as the vessel travels about.  I imagine my suite being in the middle of a country club;  this CC, however, is moving and offers me all that CCs provide and foreign ports, too.  A honeymoon at sea and in a HAL suite, too, is bound to be everything two lovers seek when getting to know one another.

See the attached photo of my wife, Freda, and me on a HAL ship as we depart for dinner.

Freda 11.jpg

• Like 5