Your opinion on latitudes rewards

Nataly1982

Hi. What is your opinion on latitudes rewards please? We are still bronze, going slowly to silver but nothing really excites me about reaching the next tier. I thought priority check in was good in the past. The other thing is sparkling wine, although with having drinks package it’s just sitting there in the stateroom until the last day. Is it possible to take it off board when you go home? What if you don’t drink alcohol? Can you get a bottle of water instead? 

Apart from that I don’t really avail of anything else. 

I mean, if they would print you one souvenir photo in photo centre it would be such a nice touch. The other thing I’d appreciate is a NCL lanyard. Something like this, small thing but at least it would feel like you were rewarded with something permanent. 

Never sailed any other cruise line than NCL so can’t compare. Feels like latitudes rewards have been the same for years and need to be “refurbished”.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this. 

Many thanks 

Platinum here. 

• I used to like the priority check-in when I was younger, but now it seems like everyone is a latitude member, so everyone is priority.
  • The 1 free bag of laundry is amazing! I get to pack less clothing and get laundry done halfway through.
  • The two dinners for two is a perk I enjoy and use every cruise.  They used to give the vouchers per person, but now it's per room, so that's unfortunate.
  • Chocolate covered strawberries are nice, I eat them, but wouldn't care either way.
  • Bottle of water... 1 bottle.  It's good to keep in the fridge for taking meds, but let's be real:  It's one bottle of water.  The fact that this perk starts at gold status baffles me.
  • 30 free internet minutes. I play a game on my iPad that if I take too long, I forfeit all my matches.  I usually use the 30 minutes mid-way through, to ensure I don't give anyone a win by accident.  

These are the perks at my status that I actually use.  

4 hours ago, Nataly1982 said:

The other thing is sparkling wine, although with having drinks package it’s just sitting there in the stateroom until the last day. Is it possible to take it off board when you go home? 

You should be able to take it with you. My parents don't drink, and between the latitude bottle and the bottles from Le Bistro... they have at least a dozen in their closet at any given time.  They use them as host/hostess gifts when they go see family.

1 hour ago, mma__leanne said:

The two dinners for two is a perk I enjoy and use every cruise.  They used to give the vouchers per person, but now it's per room, so that's unfortunate.

It used to be one voucher per person, now it’s two per cabin. Same number of meals now that they give more if there are more than two platinums in a room.

1 hour ago, mma__leanne said:
  • The two dinners for two is a perk I enjoy and use every cruise.  They used to give the vouchers per person, but now it's per room, so that's unfortunate.
  • Chocolate covered strawberries are nice, I eat them, but wouldn't care either way.

The benefit, in general has not changed. It is still two dinners for 2. Unless you don't eat together which could be a slight disadvantage. The dinner for two coupon allow you to take a non-platinum member to dinner. 

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

We are Platinum and the only interesting things for us are the "free" specialty  dinners.

Totally agree with you. Not bragging, just to let you know we have knowledge of other cruise line perks.

We cruise Celebrity Elite+, PRINCESS Elite, MSC Diamond, NCL Platinum, RCI Diamond+. 

Each line has different perks and each passenger has a favorite perk.

All are cutting back.

Example: RCI had Happy Hour from 5 - 830pm daily in a separate lounge with unlimited drinks. Now you can only have 4 - 6 per day based on your level. 

I don't need another hat, t-shirt or keyring. On RCI we get 8x10 photo which is nice.

We like the 2 free meals on NCL. 

So, be happy with what you get now. It will change shortly.

Stay Safe & Happy Cruising!

Below platinum there really isn't much to get excited about with latitudes rewards.

For us the free meals are the main benefit. There are others which are handy, such as priority boarding (not check in which lower levels get, but the boarding that platinums and above have), and if there is a tender port then it's nice not to have to worry about getting tickets (this is a benefit for gold as well). You still need to queue for the tender itself, but it's better than nothing.

The other one we use is free laundry, which is handy depending on how long you are away from home.

You can take the sparkling wine with you, but I wouldn't bother as it's not good.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nataly1982 said:

Hi. What is your opinion on latitudes rewards please? We are still bronze, going slowly to silver but nothing really excites me about reaching the next tier. I thought priority check in was good in the past. The other thing is sparkling wine, although with having drinks package it’s just sitting there in the stateroom until the last day. Is it possible to take it off board when you go home? What if you don’t drink alcohol? Can you get a bottle of water instead? 

Platinum Plus here.

Latitudes is a very unexciting program. It is typical for cruise lines. Royal has their Diamond lounge with happy hour.... but most people on NCL have a drinks package. 

Free Dinners. Sure, we'll take a couple of free dinners at designated restaurants. NCL has been getting "cheap" with their free dinners, now capping the entrees at $35 and one appetizer.

Free Laundry: Yup, we cut down on the work once we get home with two bags of laundry on the ship. 

Dinner with the Officers in the MDR:  It has been hit or miss (mostly miss) on who "pulls the short straw" and has to eat with the passengers. Rarely have we ever had a true senior officer on the ship.

Free water: Should be unlimited, not two small bottles. Hotels don't have any problem dropping off a couple of bottles of water a day. 

Behind the Scenes tours: Sure, we'll go walking on a sea day. Something to do. 

Priority meal seating: We have never, ever got this to work, so it is a non-benefit. Actually, it is an anti-benefit since we've walked away frustrated when it does not work. 

So,,, compared to other travel-industry companies, cruise companies lag a lot in using loyalty to get repeat business. We're top tier airline customers and, especially with the pandemic, we get upgraded to first class for free on every flight. We have a lifetime pass to airport lounges so we can get some free food and drinks while waiting for our flight. When sailing out of Miami, as top tier hotel members, we'll book the cheapest room at the Conrad and get upgraded to 1 and 2 BR suites. As a top tier car-rental customer, we rent a compact car and drive off the lot in a Suburban (if we wanted). 

What could they do??? On our Encore cruise last month, there was 1 Ambassador and 49 Platinum Plus members onboard. Free specialty dining every night. Free OBC. Free Shore Ex (more than $50),  Priority seating areas in the theater. Free bottled water. Free upgrades. APlatinum/Ambassador Lounge. Free access to the Thermal Suite. Someone mentioned above, first 10 photos for free. Free wifi (vs. 250 minutes). More exclusive events (yeah, we get invited to private receptions on some cruises, but not all),,, more than the Latitudes party which 90% of the ship is invited to. Daily treats.  

• Like 2

Why do you cruise or pick a specific cruise or line?

Cruise Line perks/loyalty program? No!

We look at perks as just a little add on.

Accept what you get, enjoy it while you get it.

It is getting reduced.

34 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Priority meal seating: We have never, ever got this to work, so it is a non-benefit. Actually, it is an anti-benefit since we've walked away frustrated when it does not work. 

Why has this not worked for you?  The restaurants always have seats open for Platinums it seems and we have been told.

We are Platinum plus as well and always either walk up or reserve ahead and have never been denied?

Now we only sail on Jewel class and older ships like Spirit, Sun, ect.

Steve

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

It used to be one voucher per person, now it’s two per cabin. Same number of meals now that they give more if there are more than two platinums in a room.

Hmmm that's must be what it was! I would typically cruise with my parents, so 3 Platinums in one room.  I was too young to care I guess when my dad was complaining about it haha.

1 hour ago, hungry1 said:

However, loyalty does not play a role in my decision making.  It does not determine which cruise I want to book.

I always look to my loyalty status first.  It is so nice to walk into a crowded terminal and get to bypass the thousand or so people in line.

Same with tender ports. Straight to the front of the line.

Never having to make a dinner reservation, just walking in when ever I want.

Free dinners each cruise as I prefer b2b2b or longer on top of the booking perks.

Free laundry and when I do a b2b2b or longer they still give 6 or more bags

STeve

• Like 1

I'm platinum and I value:

1. The free bag of laundry.

2. The two free dinners

I think I am 20-30 points away from Platinum Plus. The extras in the "plus" category don't sound too exciting and are not much of a motivator for me to reach that level...although I guess I eventually will.  I have no plans to cruise in 2021 so it will be at least 2022 till I hit Platinum Plus.

Count me amongst those that think the Latitudes program needs to be revamped. and made more interesting and valued by the customers.  

21 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I always look to my loyalty status first.  It is so nice to walk into a crowded terminal and get to bypass the thousand or so people in line.

Same with tender ports. Straight to the front of the line.

Never having to make a dinner reservation, just walking in when ever I want.

Free dinners each cruise as I prefer b2b2b or longer on top of the booking perks.

Free laundry and when I do a b2b2b or longer they still give 6 or more bags

STeve

Thanks for sharing your view. We look at itinerary, ship, price and last perks.

We don't have to be first one ship or tender. We walk off early. Eat early so never have to wait for MDR or Specialty Restaurant. Depending on Cruise line we may buy Unlimited Dining Package or if we get x number free, add to that. 

B2B2 we will use laundry service.

It is good we are different in our expectations and likes.

Stay Safe n Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

Count me amongst those that think the Latitudes program needs to be revamped. and made more interesting and valued by the customers.  

I personally believe that Cruise lines will cut back due to current conditions and months of losses.

What would you like to see in the way of changes?

Stay Safe n Happy Cruising!

ok, here goes: we are platinum+ and i'll be even older and greyer if by chance we make ambassador .

the perks are ok, but not a deal breaker. we have never opened the bottle of wine, and usually pre order bottles of water.  the 2 extra dinners are nice, the free bag of laundry is nice also, but again, the absence of any of these would not be the deal breaker.

please note, i'm not complaining about receiving them ,and i'm aware that you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but getting them or not getting them wouldn't effect my decision to cruise with ncl.

we have never bothered to utilize the dinner with the officers,  not being snobbish, i just don't want to dress up.  and took the behind the scenes once. while it was ok, i wouldn't have felt i  missed something had we not taken it.

as i have posted before, i cruise for the itinerary and the price, and usually try and get a haven if the price is justified. anything extra is just ok.  

before anyone chastises , i  concede i am a grumpy old curmudgeon and not getting immediately into an mdr doesn't bother me. there are so many other places to eat on board.  besides the mdr is so big, if i really want to eat there, i don't mind waiting a few extra minutes. 

one final note. while a few cruises will raise  your latitude points, (14 day cruise in a suite will immediately get you 28 points) the gap between + and ambassador is so-o-o wide, unless you start cruises very young in life, or cruise as often as bird travels, it's almost futile to reach. i figured out that taking two  14 day cruises per year would net me 56 points.  we currently have 196 points ( do the math) by the way i'm almost 74 years old, it will take an additional 8 1/2 years. 

my grandson is 22 and he started sailing with us when he was 10. the good Lord willin' and the crique don't rise, he may have a shot

just saying!

• Like 1

We really like, as platinum -- 2 specialty dining, priority tendering/without having to fight for a tender ticket, and laundry. 

Also nice, is a little free internet and discounts on photos and merchandise. Agree on the water. However, have had embarkation ports toss our empty water bottles :(, so having this replacement for taking off to ports is handy.

We did not have any luck with the priority embarkation in South America, which was a mad house with a port strike, container ship parked at our berth, and NCL trying to previous guests off with tender boats. We probably used it in Quebec City and Barcelona, but I do not remember either being very busy at embarkation to fully appreciate it.  

The Concierge perk is laughable because I have never seen anyway to contact this person. I read here a while ago that someone tried to get a number to a Concierge with no luck.

Tammy

We enjoy all the rewards we receive as Plat Plus, and a couple others that I haven't seen listed above are 15% off shore excursions and 15% off (ncl clothing, souvenirs---always gotta pick up something specific to the ship we are on) at the gift shop.

Just my thoughts. We are Platinum Plus with NCL and Diamond Plus with Royal and if I can get perks that is great but not a deal breaker. I pretty much look at NCL and Royal but have in the past used other lines.. The last few years I pretty much only look at NCL. Biggest reason I feel comfortable there mostly because of the staff . Not saying I don't consider other lines but  usually NCL has prices and itineraries that fit our needs so don't look around to much.