Alberta offering third dose for those with mixed vaccines

XLVIII

On 8/31/2021 at 9:23 AM, tert333 said:

Some people who went against the recommendation of NACI and waited for the same dose are very smug now and have no empathy for the people who followed the recommendations.  Some provinces have rectified their mistake(ie. Quecbec, Saskatchewan and Alberta).  I think that Ontario will follow at some point, but who knows when.

I got two AZ shots, not wanting to mix.  Speed ahead to now.  Will Canada give people like me another AZ shot?  I doubt it.  Looks like I will be forced to get mixed when I didn’t want that in the first place. It never ends. I’m sick of this crap.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, Airbalancer said:

I will just wait until the new booster shot that Pfizer and Moderna comes out , 

it will be cover the new strains of Covid that are developing 

I wonder if you have a AZ+mRNA+booster if that would be considered a full regimen for the CDC? Dr Russel (NB) explained yesterday that a booster was not the same dosage as a full dose. So if the CDC requires a full 2 dose + booster maybe the mix will still be a problem?

Just curious.

4 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I wonder if you have a AZ+mRNA+booster if that would be considered a full regimen for the CDC? Dr Russel (NB) explained yesterday that a booster was not the same dosage as a full dose. So if the CDC requires a full 2 dose + booster maybe the mix will still be a problem?

Just curious.

That's what I'm wondering too. A third shot might not solve this. I'm thinking the only sure way will be for the US CDC to acknowledge mixing, acknowledge that it IS still fully vaccinated. But will they....?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcwife76 said:

That's what I'm wondering too. A third shot might not solve this. I'm thinking the only sure way will be for the US CDC to acknowledge mixing, acknowledge that it IS still fully vaccinated. But will they....?

I sent a note to the CDC regarding 1AZ and 2 Pfizer, but got a generic answer back which did not answer my question. 

Princess cruises in their presentations (go on facebook and look for a presentation last month, under John Chernesky at princess)  have publicly stated that they would accept 1AZ and 2 PFizer or 2 Moderna vaccines.

Celebrity has given me two answers.  The first was they would not accept 1AZ and 2 mRNA vaccines.  However, someone else send in a request through chat after I asked and was told that they would accept 1AZ and 2mRNA vaccines.  I also received a similar answer

I believe that the boosters they are giving in Ontario for the immune compromised is the same dose as the other vaccines given.  However, agree there is discussion that the true "booster" may be different than the original vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

I sent a note to the CDC regarding 1AZ and 2 Pfizer, but got a generic answer back which did not answer my question. 

Princess cruises in their presentations (go on facebook and look for a presentation last month, under John Chernesky at princess)  have publicly stated that they would accept 1AZ and 2 PFizer or 2 Moderna vaccines.

Celebrity has given me two answers.  The first was they would not accept 1AZ and 2 mRNA vaccines.  However, someone else send in a request through chat after I asked and was told that they would accept 1AZ and 2mRNA vaccines.  I also received a similar answer

I believe that the boosters they are giving in Ontario for the immune compromised is the same dose as the other vaccines given.  However, agree there is discussion that the true "booster" may be different than the original vaccine.

That's very interesting, thanks for the indepth response!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tert333 said:

Dear lord will this crap ever end.  Did what I was told took the mixed vaccinations, today I got a third shot to try to meet the requirements of 2mRNA vaccine doses but now my third shot might not be enough.  If that is the case I give up, nothing more I can do!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iancal said:

I picked up a prescription in Calgary yesterday. There we four or five people in line to get a third covid shot for travel.

The pharmacist told me they had a steady stream of customers and bookings for this.

We both now have our third shots (for different reasons), after reading about the third shot not being a full dose we checked with the pharmacist today to confirm that wasn’t the case at least with us, WHEW.

• Like 1

Getting our first and second Pfizer shots was not big issue.  They were effortless to book at our local pharmacy.  Both times we had the shots with a few days of booking.   In both instances we both in and out within 10 minutes.  The only wait we had was completing the necessary form.

From our perspective AHS did a first rate job of organizing vaccinations and organizing tests...of which we had three for various reasons.

2 hours ago, christinand said:

I hope when people are able to go on a cruise with a third dose they will post. I too am wondering if it will be allowed or cdic will tighten up restrictions.

We’ll be on Celebrity, but not til November. We got our third dose in Alberta last Thursday. Ironically Celebrity called us the same day to ask if we were fully dosed. Will let you know if we have any issues. 

• Like 1

I heard something this morning about the booster shots in the US, and no final decisions yet from the FDA/CDC, but something about mixing the two MRNAs to ensure better coverage, i.e. if you had two Pfizer perhaps the third would be best Moderna.  Hopefully this is all some evidence that the issue of mixed vaccines, etc. is still under active consideration for those of us already in that boat!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

I heard something this morning about the booster shots in the US, and no final decisions yet from the FDA/CDC, but something about mixing the two MRNAs to ensure better coverage, i.e. if you had two Pfizer perhaps the third would be best Moderna.  Hopefully this is all some evidence that the issue of mixed vaccines, etc. is still under active consideration for those of us already in that boat!

I have tried to search the WHO website to see if there are any studies going on but I wasn't successful.

I did find one little sentence in a news briefing that said that Pfizer/Moderna is acceptable after AZ, if AZ is not available. But that isn't enough for them to approve it, or the CDC.

Until WHO officially says that mixed doses are APPROVED, we are stuck.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I have tried to search the WHO website to see if there are any studies going on but I wasn't successful.

I did find one little sentence in a news briefing that said that Pfizer/Moderna is acceptable after AZ, if AZ is not available. But that isn't enough for them to approve it, or the CDC.

Until WHO officially says that mixed doses are APPROVED, we are stuck.

I was flipping through the channels earlier this morning and CNN were talking about Moderna approval being finalized for children (just like Pfizer is now).  They also said that tests were ongoing for mixing and matching vaccines and results should be available in a few weeks. I would imagine they mean Pfizer/Moderna mixes since the U.S. has not approved Astra .. yet.  🙄  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hancogran said:

I was flipping through the channels earlier this morning and CNN were talking about Moderna approval being finalized for children (just like Pfizer is now).  They also said that tests were ongoing for mixing and matching vaccines and results should be available in a few weeks. I would imagine they mean Pfizer/Moderna mixes since the U.S. has not approved Astra .. yet.  🙄  

Moderna is approved in Canada for 12-15 years old 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

This issue in the U.S. (I think ) is that they have emergency use and actual approval. So Pfizer was officially approved (no emergency use) a few weeks ago and now they are looking at doing the same with Moderna.

In the states it seems to be a big issue because many people think that emergency use meant it wasn't safe, or tested right.

In Canada we don't seem to have the same issue.

I'm sure someone can quickly reference the info but I think that our vaccines are all still approved for emergency use.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Yes I knew that but since it was CNN, it was the U.S. they were referring to. I should have specified that but my point was more about the fact that there were currently ongoing trials regarding mixed vaccines and the results should be known in a few weeks. 

If they found mixing to be safe, this might be beneficial to a lot of us in Canada who have mixed vaccines. 

• Like 1