Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

53 minutes ago, complawyer said:

(1)ncl contacts you. if you are eligible, when you log on, it will say "lets get  you upgraded"

(2) you can bid as soon as you get the message above. i dont think  there is any specific time prior to sailing

(3) same way, you can check  your bids once they are made by once  again clicking on lets get you  upgraded, and it will show you check you bid. just follow the prompts, to raise your bid, bid on a different cabin, or cancel if you wish. 

(4) only choice you have is to bid on whatever is offered. no choice as to actual cabin. we're leaving on the ncl star sept 9th we're in the 2bedroom suite, and the only choice offered me was the garden villa. also remember, the following, once your bid is accepted, you cant back out and whatever you bid gets multiplied by 2. the minimum bid (poor) for the garden villa was $1850 or $3700, at that was at the low end of poor.

hope this helps

Thanks for the information. It appears that NCL doesn’t contact everyone. How is it determined if eligible?

OK I understand you can only bid on what’s offered. Is their a minimum & maximum bid?  Guess you have to decide whether you want a low bid or a high.

Do I loose any of the current benefits that I have?

I'm aware that a solo pays double?

Thanks again for explaining the bidding process.

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

it's just the luck of the draw. if you see the message "lets get you upgraded" you're in. there is a haly circle going from"poor" to good, and most  status in between. you place your bid, and the wheel shows you where the staus is. obviously the higher you bid the better chance of it being accepted. conversely the lower the bid (rated poor) the lessor chance it will be accepted. we were on the bliss the beginning of this month, and were in the club balcony. i bid on 5 different haven cabins, and none were accepted.

if  your bid is accepted you get the perks that are then available.

so you dont misunderstand the bidding process and regardless of the cabin you bid on, whatever your bid is, it's multiplied by 2, not just  the solo traveler. if you bid $1000, your actual bid is going in as $2000, and if accepted, that amount is what you will be charged. 

so if you get to bid, decide exactly how high you wish to go. take that into account and see what the cabin rates are for the cabin you want without a bid, then you will be able to determine if you're better off just booking the cabin, or hope you're bid is accepted.  good luck either way.

by the way, i think (although it's just speculative on my part) the lower category you're actually in, has a better chance of bidding to another cabin. oceanview to balcony or club balcony. suites or haven suites might be cost prohibitive to bid on

I'm currently in a Balcony stateroom on the Sun 5 day alaska cruise. I've been assigned a balcony in the 8200 range (forwardish part of the ship).

I was offered to bid on an Owner's suite which I bid right above minimum on ($800), and forward/aft penthouses which I bid minimum on ($700). I can also bid minimum on a Club Balcony Suite, which has a minimum of $100, but from what I understand is that the only real difference is the shower, is there anything else that is different?

I don't mind the cost of penthouse/owner's suites as they will be an experience; but, in your experience, is it worth $200 to go from a balcony is a pretty good spot, to an unknown club balcony suite?

Edited by mtncjx

Just got email my bid was accepted from inside to club balcony suite (mini-suite) for the 9/4 Breakaway Maine/Canada cruise.

My all-in (what I paid for inside + upgrade bid) fare is about $350 less than if I tried to book the same cabin right now online.

so a deal, but not an amazing deal. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, mtncjx said:

I'm currently in a Balcony stateroom on the Sun 5 day alaska cruise. I've been assigned a balcony in the 8200 range (forwardish part of the ship).

I was offered to bid on an Owner's suite which I bid right above minimum on ($800), and forward/aft penthouses which I bid minimum on ($700). I can also bid minimum on a Club Balcony Suite, which has a minimum of $100, but from what I understand is that the only real difference is the shower, is there anything else that is different?

I don't mind the cost of penthouse/owner's suites as they will be an experience; but, in your experience, is it worth $200 to go from a balcony is a pretty good spot, to an unknown club balcony suite?

I was on the Sun in 2014 to Alaska and was in a club balcony. The closets/storage were much bigger, and so was the bathroom. It was on Deck 11, I think. I was originally worried being under the outside deck but it wasn't that noisy. We were in the front and the only noise was the suite next door, since it was a connecting door.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, complawyer said:

it's just the luck of the draw. if you see the message "lets get you upgraded" you're in. there is a haly circle going from"poor" to good, and most  status in between. you place your bid, and the wheel shows you where the staus is. obviously the higher you bid the better chance of it being accepted. conversely the lower the bid (rated poor) the lessor chance it will be accepted. we were on the bliss the beginning of this month, and were in the club balcony. i bid on 5 different haven cabins, and none were accepted.

if  your bid is accepted you get the perks that are then available.

so you dont misunderstand the bidding process and regardless of the cabin you bid on, whatever your bid is, it's multiplied by 2, not just  the solo traveler. if you bid $1000, your actual bid is going in as $2000, and if accepted, that amount is what you will be charged. 

so if you get to bid, decide exactly how high you wish to go. take that into account and see what the cabin rates are for the cabin you want without a bid, then you will be able to determine if you're better off just booking the cabin, or hope you're bid is accepted.  good luck either way.

by the way, i think (although it's just speculative on my part) the lower category you're actually in, has a better chance of bidding to another cabin. oceanview to balcony or club balcony. suites or haven suites might be cost prohibitive to bid on

Thank you very much. I’m in a studio on the Breakaway.  Since I’m in the lowest category perhaps if I get an offer I might have a chance. If that happens I may be back for some questions.

I always do as you mentioned to check the current price of staterooms.

You have been most helpful to a newbie on NCL.

Much Appreciated.

Tom😀 

Yes we got the upgrade.  Cc charged 9am and simultaneous email notifying us.  My ncl and new confirmation arrived 30 minutes later.  The upgrade sat in that status where all other offers were expired and the one offer showed pending for 25 hours.  Since i was not able to cancel/modify it, i was almost certain that i had won

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ronheg said:

Yes we got the upgrade.  Cc charged 9am and simultaneous email notifying us.  My ncl and new confirmation arrived 30 minutes later.  The upgrade sat in that status where all other offers were expired and the one offer showed pending for 25 hours.  Since i was not able to cancel/modify it, i was almost certain that i had won

What did you go from & to & what was your bid?  What range was your bid in?

Thanks!

Tom😀

We were in a balcony.  We used 30000 points from ncl cc to do a meta upgrade from an Oceanview to balcony.  We paid $1631 pp for the ov and received a balcony worth $2300 pp.  this happened in 2020.  We bid on all suites ($1100 pp was the highest bid), but we won on a$605 pp bid on the family suite  (category sp).  This bid was slightly better than mid fair.  The good range started at about  $800 pp.  all in we paid $2236 pp and ncl final fire sale price was $2999 pp.  it had been as high as $6639.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Thank you very much. I’m in a studio on the Breakaway.  Since I’m in the lowest category perhaps if I get an offer I might have a chance. If that happens I may be back for some questions.

I always do as you mentioned to check the current price of staterooms.

You have been most helpful to a newbie on NCL.

Much Appreciated.

Tom😀 

The soonest you will see the offer is 110 days out, Also if you booked with a Travel agent make sure they participate in the upgrade advantage program many don’t and then be patient because almost all upgrades are not processed until 3 to 5 days before sailing

14 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’m new to NCL so I have some questions about the bidding process.

1. Does NCL contact you or do you go online?  

2. How soon before the cruise can you bid?

3. I understand that once you bid you can change it at any time. How does this work?

4. Do you have a choice as to which stateroom or location?

Any helpful tips appreciated!

Tom😀

I just got an email yesterday inviting me to bid on our Dec 18th cruise, 110 days out.

Debating bidding on it, the only upgrade that I am interested in is the 2 bedroom Haven (in an Aft Haven now), the minimum bid right now is $600USD/pp. We are Canadian so that would mean almost $1600 CAD extra.

1 hour ago, smillerholmes said:

Studio to Balcony for $210.  I am happy!

when you say, "studio," i assume you are a solo traveler.

so was your bid $105?

or $210?

my understanding is that all upgrades are based on double occupancy, so a bid of $105 would get you a balcony for $210. and a bid of $210 would get a solo traveler a balcony for $420.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

when you say, "studio," i assume you are a solo traveler.

so was your bid $105?

or $210?

my understanding is that all upgrades are based on double occupancy, so a bid of $105 would get you a balcony for $210. and a bid of $210 would get a solo traveler a balcony for $420.

Solo yes - $105 bid for $210 total!

1 hour ago, ronheg said:

We were in a balcony.  We used 30000 points from ncl cc to do a meta upgrade from an Oceanview to balcony.  We paid $1631 pp for the ov and received a balcony worth $2300 pp.  this happened in 2020.  We bid on all suites ($1100 pp was the highest bid), but we won on a$605 pp bid on the family suite  (category sp).  This bid was slightly better than mid fair.  The good range started at about  $800 pp.  all in we paid $2236 pp and ncl final fire sale price was $2999 pp.  it had been as high as $6639.

Still waiting on my end.  Doesn’t show anything.  Still can adjust it also.  Same ship.

Update: I received an email that they noticed the change in my reservation so they cancelled my bids and gave me new offers. An upgrade from Balcony to Club Balcony Suite now starts at $75, which isn’t a savings if we end up on deck 8, but would save about $200 pp for a higher deck. I also could now bid on Haven starting at $600 pp, but that’s not in the cards for us.

Can I just ask, I bid for my upgrades. And not for lack of trying, I have not seen anywhere I can see the  circle that shows where my bid is in what range. 
I can see my bids  but there is no circle thing like in the past. 

its been a while so it’s not wait till it shows up  on my booking. It brings me to a page where I see my bids but still no circle indicating fair, good, whatever. 

Any ideas?  I realize it is what it is and I’m not really expecting to be upgraded but id still like to know where I rank, sort of. 

There has been some chatter on this thread about whether or not you will be offered an opportunity to bid for an upgrade or not and some people believe it is just luck of the draw.

I don't believe it is luck of the draw.  If you book your cruise directly with NCL you will get an offer.

If you book with some travel partners, you will.

But if you book with some travel partners (like Costco) you will not.  Costco reservations are not eligible for the updrade program.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, luc122 said:

Can I just ask, I bid for my upgrades. And not for lack of trying, I have not seen anywhere I can see the  circle that shows where my bid is in what range. 
I can see my bids  but there is no circle thing like in the past. 

its been a while so it’s not wait till it shows up  on my booking. It brings me to a page where I see my bids but still no circle indicating fair, good, whatever. 

Any ideas?  I realize it is what it is and I’m not really expecting to be upgraded but id still like to know where I rank, sort of. 

Are you looking on your phone or a computer. The wheel does not show upon the phone (android) only the bids.

Just got the email to submit an upgrade bid for our Dec cruise.  Since we are really fine with our current room, I just did the bare basics of moving the slider up one notch to "poor".  😛  Since I already knew what each of the upgrade rooms cost when I "upgraded" to our current room, I kept under that number in mind when bidding.   99.99% sure we won't win any of them.  😂  But gotta try at least.