Will RCCL start doing their own rapid testing at the Port for all passengers?

bren61

1 hour ago, Ocean Cat said:

If it involves technology, I’m out. My husband and I both are technology illiterate. Anytime something involves computer, video etc, no matter how “easy” someone says it is, we are not successful.I’m sure there is other elderly travelers that feel the same way.
We we’re looking forward to the cruise but we don’t feel comfortable with Walgreens getting results back to us in time, two days is not enough time in case Walgreens doesn’t come through. I’m telling my husband today that I’m not willing to go through the stress.

With all due respect technology is just part of the world we all live in.

It amazes me that people are making such a big deal about all this. It's really very simple....you buy a home test and take it 2 days prior to sailing. You can be anywhere...you don't have to worry about finding a CVS or Walgreens....make an appointment...just order a test, have a phone or laptop and set your own schedule. People threatening they aren't going to sail if royal doesn't test at the port...they can't use a computer...PLEASE...you can all find ways to get the most out of your C&A perks...optimize as many free drinks as you can...bid on Royal Up...but you cant take a simple home test?!?!?

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, webecruzin2 said:

I just ordered 4 - 2packs of Binax Now home tests to pick up at Walgreens.
Each pack was 23.99 and they're FSA refundable.

Those arent the monitored AG test kits and are not accepted by RCI.  There are only two vendors that have the accepted AG test kits that are monitored.    The Optum store has a two pack for 66.99 and a three pack for 99.99.   eMed has the six pack for 150.00.

3 minutes ago, bajathree said:

It amazes me that people are making such a big deal about all this. It's really very simple....you buy a home test and take it 2 days prior to sailing. You can be anywhere...you don't have to worry about finding a CVS or Walgreens....make an appointment...just order a test, have a phone or laptop and set your own schedule. People threatening they aren't going to sail if royal doesn't test at the port...they can't use a computer...PLEASE...you can all find ways to get the most out of your C&A perks...optimize as many free drinks as you can...bid on Royal Up...but you cant take a simple home test?!?!?

I can't imagine having the port test as the only option and showing up and popping a positive test.  If you flew in, you're stuck. 

The AG test kits are literally the easiest way and seem simple to follow.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ryano said:

I can't imagine having the port test as the only option and showing up and popping a positive test.  If you flew in, you're stuck. 

The AG test kits are literally the easiest way and seem simple to follow.  

Couldn't agree more...this is easy. The cruise lines that were or are doing testing at port....I haven't heard one good review from any of them...just reviews of very frustrating 3-4hr process from terminal to ship.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, webecruzin2 said:

I'm so confused.  Getting ready to order Binax Now kits but it say they're AG isn't that antigen?

I thought RC was only accepting PCR tests now.
Bottom line, is Binax Now AG test acceptable and what does an unvaccinated child need? 

I just ordered 4 - 2packs of Binax Now home tests to pick up at Walgreens.
Each pack was 23.99 and they're FSA refundable.
What a shame RC can't find a way to update their website with accurate up to the minute information and we have to look elsewhere for it.
Thank goodness for CC especially in these situations.

The website is up-to-date,  since last night the CDC only came out with these changes earlier this week.   Antigen thus the home proctored test kits work for vaccinated adults all unvaccinated (in most cases under the age of 12) have to have a pcr so the home test kits don't work for them.  

I truly believe the cdc is trying to stop unvaccinated children from cruising since they can't seem to stop cruising completely.  In order to get these tests completed in time will probably remove most free options.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Couldn't agree more...this is easy. The cruise lines that were or are doing testing at port....I haven't heard one good review from any of them...just reviews of very frustrating 3-4hr process from terminal to ship.

Even though there is a mobile testing site at PC I won't use it, for us(7 cruisers) it's to expensive. 

Rater spend that money on another cruise. 

Edited by mauraoel

45 minutes ago, bajathree said:

AMEN!! 
If one is technologically proficient enough to post on this board, they have the skills to do the proctored at home test. So much DRAMA over nothing. 

• Like 1

It certainly would be less complicated. People used to say that security lines would slow down everything but we now walk straight through them in no time, as everyone knows what is expected. That is the problem we are experiencing today. We don't know what to do.

The cruise lines need to have more control over their own operations. With conditions changing daily, let them conduct the tests so we can get rid of the chaos and everyone can feel safe. 

4 hours ago, ryano said:

Those arent the monitored AG test kits and are not accepted by RCI.  There are only two vendors that have the accepted AG test kits that are monitored.    The Optum store has a two pack for 66.99 and a three pack for 99.99.   eMed has the six pack for 150.00.

Thanks, glad I came back here today.  I just called RC earlier and of course they said the tests would be fine but also didn't ask me if they were the monitored ones so I didn't double check.
The websites all seem to be taking me round in circles to actually get to a purchase page.
That's how I found this one.  Oh well, I returned all but 1 to Walgreens, just in case I need one for an emergency.
I really would like to cancel the whole trip but promised my daughter and her family we would go so here I am with all of the stress.
Back to square one.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 12:08 AM, rj59 said:

NCL is testing everyone at the port. RCL tested everyone in the Bahamas. MSC tested everyone at the port, until they decided not to any more. RCL and others test kids at the port. Would you rather people that catch the virus traveling to the port just get on the ship, instead of keeping themselves and everyone else safe? A lot of people drive to the port, so they'd just drive home to quarantine, and if I test positive at the port then I know I'll get my cruise refund and and I simply spend the money on a hotel instead. Yep, it will be inconvenient, but I'd rather do that than cause an outbreak on a ship, which creates much more harm, or face an expensive and traumatic evacuation if at sea or a foreign port. 

I did not say RC could not test at the pier.  I said it makes more sense to test at home.  I would rather test at home and stay home vs quarantining out of state for 10 days, which is longer than my 7 day vacation.  Many people drive to the port and many more probably fly to the port.  Those that test positive before flying don't get on the plane so I don't see your point about testing at the pier and keeping people on the ship safe vs not getting on a plane and keeping people in the airport and plane safe.  

Am I able to set up an account with Navica ahead of time before we have the test kit.  I am on my tablet now got my info entered in & they sent me a verification code to enter & I set my password. It wants to know if I have a kit to scan the code or if I need to buy one. My test won't be here till next week sometime, but wanted to get accounts set up for my husband & I but it won't let me go any further w/out buying or scanning the bar code on the actual test kit. Can you only set up an account right before you do the test?  Also, I have my info in but can't get my husbands in on the same device, because it won't let me do anything else until I scan the code. Can someone advise me here. 

2 hours ago, bren61 said:

Am I able to set up an account with Navica ahead of time before we have the test kit.  I am on my tablet now got my info entered in & they sent me a verification code to enter & I set my password. It wants to know if I have a kit to scan the code or if I need to buy one. My test won't be here till next week sometime, but wanted to get accounts set up for my husband & I but it won't let me go any further w/out buying or scanning the bar code on the actual test kit. Can you only set up an account right before you do the test?  Also, I have my info in but can't get my husbands in on the same device, because it won't let me do anything else until I scan the code. Can someone advise me here. 

Disregard this, I got it figured out.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:12 AM, Homosassa said:

Because the CDC knows the conditions at many of the embarkation ports.

If you are embarking from a port in a state that is considered the epicenter for a certain disease  and has no mandatory public health measures or from another state that is close behind in numbers and lack of disease control, the two days may help screen out those who have a carefree time in the state before boarding and may test positive.

Except the incubation period is 2 - 14 days.

So I got to the port city 7 days before cruise.  I get infected.  I get tested at day 5, get a negative test, and board, but the next day, my infection has progressed to the point I am positive.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, mauraoel said:

No if you need to do a PCR do the NAAT.  The Rapid Antigen is the one I would recommend but if you can't get that...

Abbot ID NOW is a rapid NAAT test.

[quote]ID NOW COVID-19 assay performed on the ID NOW Instrument is a rapid molecular in vitro diagnostic test utilizing an isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology intended for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from the SARS-CoV-2 virus in direct anterior nasal (nasal), nasopharyngeal or throat swabs from individuals who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of the onset of symptoms.[/quote]

On 9/4/2021 at 8:58 AM, bajathree said:

I’ve heard multiple great reviews about the NCL process for the Encore in Seattle. 

On 9/3/2021 at 11:12 AM, cruiser101_1 said:

What a wonderful business model! So it means that if Walgreens or CVS screwed up and don't send the results, ppl lose thousands?

It's one of the risks that you have to accept and be prepared for if you choose to cruise during the pandemic.

On 9/4/2021 at 8:50 AM, bajathree said:

I'm not buying the I'm too old and technically challenged bit either. If you can find your way to Cruise Critic you can surely find a YouTube video on how to take the test. Some have even posted a link here. I also find it hard to believe that in almost two years an elderly person hasn't had a video visit with a doctor. My parents are pushing 90 don't have a computer but have a tablet that they have been using for Dr visits.  If all else fails ask a 10yr old in the neighborhood to help you.

• Like 2

Parodeejay on YouTube posted a video of the entire emed testing process, including challenges and things to avoid. They’re a charming couple who always take things in stride, although the poor wife got Covid on the Mardi Gras, a really sad video.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:12 AM, cruiser101_1 said:

What a wonderful business model! So it means that if Walgreens or CVS screwed up and don't send the results, ppl lose thousands?

Why should Royal suffer and lose thousands for something that’s not their fault? It’s up to the passenger to get the needed tests. If the passenger doesn’t then that’s on them. They should cancel earlier if they don’t think they can get the results in soon enough or pay to guarantee that they will.

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 9/4/2021 at 7:21 AM, Ocean Cat said:

If it involves technology, I’m out. My husband and I both are technology illiterate. Anytime something involves computer, video etc, no matter how “easy” someone says it is, we are not successful.I’m sure there is other elderly travelers that feel the same way.
We we’re looking forward to the cruise but we don’t feel comfortable with Walgreens getting results back to us in time, two days is not enough time in case Walgreens doesn’t come through. I’m telling my husband today that I’m not willing to go through the stress.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:26 AM, molly361 said:

I'm with you on this one.  I have been reading all the threads on the at home kits expiration dates who can use them etc and it sounds pretty much above my pay grade.  I was lucky to have my health care provider do mine last month.  Don't know if there is a limit as to how many times I can go there but I have a cruise every month from now thru January.  Might have to lighten my load

What about a neighbor kid or someone to help you do it? For 20.00 or so a kid would probably be happy to help. It doesn’t take long to set it up and take it. Just a thought.

Edited by ReneeFLL