Testing for the Mardi Gras on Saturday was a great experience!

ZoeyVictoria

I spent hours researching and worrying about getting tested and receiving test results in time to sail on September 4.  Three weeks ago,  Manatee County opened a testing center nine miles from our home and did a wonderful job of organizing it.  We scanned a QR code when we arrived, filled out the registration info on our phones as we walked through the socially distanced and steadily moving line, were directed to one of six tables to check in and choose between rapid and PCR tests, then to one of four windows to be tested.  Just 71 minutes after we left the house, we were sitting in Cracker Barrel and reading our negative results.  I was unable to find rapid tests at CVS, Walgreens, or Quest Diagnostics; I wonder if Health Departments are given access to more rapid tests?  It might be worth the time and effort to check with your county health department.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am facing the same anxiety about finding a rapid test in SoCal for the end of October. I have done a couple of dry runs to test the return times, and would be staying home if I had to depend on drug store tests. I did take a test in a tent outside Macy's that came back overnight. 

I am not sure why I am worried as the Panorama has thousands of passengers aboard.

I heard in a conversation today that Walgreens and CVS were overwhelmed and were going to cease and only do them for people with symptoms.  In Southwest Florida they have reopened a testing facility at a country ballpark parking lot.  

54 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I heard in a conversation today that Walgreens and CVS were overwhelmed and were going to cease and only do them for people with symptoms.  In Southwest Florida they have reopened a testing facility at a country ballpark parking lot.  

Fortunately, it was not a problem with CVS today here in Northern Virginia. Looking forward to getting on the Mardi Gras Saturday!

• Like 1

On top of finding a rapid test location that hasn’t run out of tests, I have added stress. Tested positive on 8/21. Quarantine ended this past Monday. Now I have to hope and pray my test comes back negative before sailing on 10/16 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻😞😞😞😞😞

6 minutes ago, debnrick said:

On top of finding a rapid test location that hasn’t run out of tests, I have added stress. Tested positive on 8/21. Quarantine ended this past Monday. Now I have to hope and pray my test comes back negative before sailing on 10/16 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻😞😞😞😞😞

I tested positive for WEEKS after my quarantine ended. I hope it isn't the same for you and you're able to cruise. 

20 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

But, more importantly, how was breakfast at Cracker Barrel?  Did you have the hash brown casserole?

Yes, I had the hash brown casserole with bacon biscuits.  I also had the peach tea, a special treat because caffeine does not like me and I very rarely go out to eat early enough for it to wear off before bedtime.  I was lit from the caffeine and sugar (it affects me like it is alcohol) and it made the entire morning just that much better!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yeah hearing FL Orlando and south is getting swamped.   High Schools and colleges are starting to test student athletes every other day. Even off season athletes; if you're practicing, you get tested.

In our area there are hundreds of kids quarantined.  If a kid tests positive, the entire class/classes are quarantined and required to get tested.  

I'm jealous, your experience was much better than ours.  

We were on MG Aug 21 - 28.  We had to fly across the country the day prior.  A total of 5 family members (from various locations) were meeting up in Orlando.  Of the 5 of us, only 2 had test results the night before our 6 am flight.  After lots of calls, a 3rd person was able to get their results before we boarded the flight.  The other 2 still had no results by the time we all arrived in FL the evening before our cruise.  Unfortunately, they never did get their results, so they were up at the crack of dawn waiting in a long line at an urgent care somewhere near Port Canaveral for a rapid test.  They eventually got through it and headed over to the ship about noon, but it was nerve-wracking.  

1 minute ago, csm5986142 said:

I'm jealous, your experience was much better than ours.  

We were on MG Aug 21 - 28.  We had to fly across the country the day prior.  A total of 5 family members (from various locations) were meeting up in Orlando.  Of the 5 of us, only 2 had test results the night before our 6 am flight.  After lots of calls, a 3rd person was able to get their results before we boarded the flight.  The other 2 still had no results by the time we all arrived in FL the evening before our cruise.  Unfortunately, they never did get their results, so they were up at the crack of dawn waiting in a long line at an urgent care somewhere near Port Canaveral for a rapid test.  They eventually got through it and headed over to the ship about noon, but it was nerve-wracking.  

That is exactly what I was trying to avoid!  We were on the Magic August 12 (two days before the test requirement began) and I was nervous enough to make a lot of mistakes on embarkation morning; I loaded luggage into the car with the dirty wheels against my new outfit, left my sunglasses upstairs in the condo, turned south instead of north on I-75, missed the turn into the terminal, and left my phone in the car in the parking garage.  The line was huge by the time we got there at 12:40.  I considered that to be our “practice cruise” and have really tried to make this one a lot less stressful.  We moved since booking this cruise 21 months ago, and now have to drive across the state, through Orlando, on Saturday morning of Labor Day weekend (I know, what could possibly go wrong there?).  So yesterday I booked a hotel on the Port Canaveral side of Orlando for Friday night.  I am hoping all of the planning will contribute to a peaceful start on the MG.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, debnrick said:

3 hours ago, mac21902 said:

I tested positive for WEEKS after my quarantine ended. I hope it isn't the same for you and you're able to cruise. 

I would recommend that you try to get a PCR test instead of a rapid antigen one in the middle of October before your next cruise.  We are already lined up with one through Quest Diagnostics 3 days before our cruise on 10/23.

After reading all this and reading about the CDC wanting to increase requirements for vaccinated cruisers to 2 days AND because our cruise on the Mardi Gras leaves on Jan 2,2022, I went ahead and ordered the binax now home tests with emed telehealth.  We leave on NY day for the drive to Port Canaveral and am not too sure how many testing facilities will be open on NYE.  As a retired nurse, I think I can do a self test and hubbs while being monitored😉.  Stress level just went waaaay down!

• Like 1

Very similar experience for our fam of 4 at Walgreens today.  Had 4 appointments spread across the morning but they tested all of us at once. Minimally invasive compared to other tests I’ve done.  Email with results within the hour.  Something went wrong with their system and I got 45 emails with our results, but WHO CARES THEY’RE NEGATIVE AND WE LEAVE TOMORROW 😃.  Doing 2 days at universal before heading to Mardi Gras!

7 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

We got tested this morning (negative, yay!) at a local CVS - easy peasy.  Booked it two weeks ago (two appts, one for her, one for me).  So looking forward to this weekend!

We did the exact same thing here in SC today. Couldn't have been easier!

5 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

That is exactly what I was trying to avoid!  We were on the Magic August 12 (two days before the test requirement began) and I was nervous enough to make a lot of mistakes on embarkation morning; I loaded luggage into the car with the dirty wheels against my new outfit, left my sunglasses upstairs in the condo, turned south instead of north on I-75, missed the turn into the terminal, and left my phone in the car in the parking garage.  The line was huge by the time we got there at 12:40.  I considered that to be our “practice cruise” and have really tried to make this one a lot less stressful.  We moved since booking this cruise 21 months ago, and now have to drive across the state, through Orlando, on Saturday morning of Labor Day weekend (I know, what could possibly go wrong there?).  So yesterday I booked a hotel on the Port Canaveral side of Orlando for Friday night.  I am hoping all of the planning will contribute to a peaceful start on the MG.

If you arrive at Port Canaveral in time for dinner, check out Rikki Tiki Tavern at the end of Cocoa Beach Pier.  Awesome place for drinks and dinner!!

rikki tiki.png