The Daily for Thursday September 02, 2021

richwmn

Good  morning  to  everyone  and  thanks  to  Rich  for  the  Daily. We  had  a  wild  night here  with awful  flooding almost  everywhere. The  local  news  reported  destructive  tornadoes  in  NJ  along  with  their  floods. The  local  roads  remain  flooded around  us  but  at  least we  are  ok as  we  are  halfway  up  a  very  big  hill. My BFF's  town  of  Mamaroneck,NY was  rescuing people  by  boat.

VJ Day   and  Coconuts  can  certainly  be  celebrated. Calendar  Adjustment  Day  sounds  like  a  large headache  but  eventually  a  good  thing, I guess. We  have  not  been  to  the  port of  the  day.

I  am  trying  to  keep  an  open  mind  about  the  recipe  but  there  could  be  a  revolt here  if  it  showed  up for  dinner! It  can  be  a  tough  crowd  at  times!

Terry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, and thanks for the Daily Report and Cares Report. Prayers - still - for those affected by Ida!

We had the pleasure of visiting Heraklion (Iraklion) as an alternate port when we couldn't dock at Piraeus while aboard the Nieuw Statendam in 2019. It was the second alternate port on that cruise, and we have learned to now take the whole travel guidebook instead of just the portions on the itinerary! But we managed and rode the always-present Hop On Hop Off tour. That allowed us to visit the Palace of Knossos ruins. My wife has since used images from the ruins for a few of her art works.

DSC05919.thumb.JPG.935790ec12bf3041d24786bac16107ad.JPG

DSC05850.thumb.JPG.aed86dafc3e8906bc16f746fff9815ca.JPG

DSC05867.thumb.JPG.c9905539a18a1eac8c034061580a13f4.JPG

DSC05870.thumb.JPG.7b516f650619fcc1ad262626386e77fb.JPG

DSC05875.thumb.JPG.65f9d3b28b131fd4b98420f9ff29ffb1.JPG

DSC05883.thumb.JPG.30b946f19214b6ce3713a76fb93fa6db.JPG

DSC05889.thumb.JPG.c24ee7ea17ef40db927820e61c964d86.JPG

DSC05907.thumb.JPG.8d767e5ebd824bbd43e794fd5ad9225b.JPG

Mixed Media art work by DW

1623361026_GreekRuins(1).thumb.jpg.d9fc1e2249d9e6cd642c5b511f02b4fb.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Special salute to VJ Day.  Not a big coconut fan.  Calendar adjustment day is an interesting historical footnote.  I love the Miller quote.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  Never been to Crete.

Today’s care list:

RIP Surfside lifeguard Keith Pinto
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
Those left behind in Afghanistan
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but showing improvement
Very distressing PT session for Tana
Crabbi Patti in Quarantine
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Me awaiting PET test results

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
2 Days for Atexsix, dobiemom, and Lafnvegas
Happy Anniversary Cruising Along
Good school Start for Cruising-along’s grandsons
Tioga Cruiser on a road trip
Overhead Fred back at cottage
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor Brenda feeling better
msmayor anticipating a March grandchild
cat shepard’s dishwasher fixable
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, Thanks for both lists.  I admire your deep sensitivity.  I hope your tesr turns out well.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  VJ day must be remembered, love coconut, and I'm glad we don't do the adjustment anymore.  Would confuse me.  Interesting Miller quote.  Not sure what the meal is, will wait for Debbie's description, but it doesn't sound good to me.

Have not been to Greece, waiting for the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to us all.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Long Island Iced Tea:

A Long Island iced tea is a type of alcoholic mixed drink typically made with vodka, tequila, light rum, triple sec, gin, and a splash of cola, which gives the drink the same amber hue as iced tea. A popular version mixes equal parts vodka, tequila, gin, rum, triple sec, with 1+1⁄2 parts sour mix and a splash of cola. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 oz Gomme Syrup, 1 oz Lemon juice, 1/2 oz Gin, MORE
Preparation: Add all ingredients into highball glass filled with ice. Stir gently. Garnish with lemon spiral. Serve with straw.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lemon spiral
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 7.05.00 AM.png

I have heard of this drink but I have NEVER imbibed in it.  Looking at the ingredients, I will continue  to take a rain check

• Like 6

Good morning from central Texas where it will be hot again today.

VJ Day should be celebrated.  I'm not a huge fan of coconut, but like it in a few things.  Glad we are just celebrating not living through Calendar Adjustment Day.

I hope everyone still in the path of Ida is not adversely affected by all the rain and flooding.  Stay safe.

An interesting quote.  We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.  Tonight were picking up a rotisserie chicken and sides for dinner.  It's just not safe enough here to dine in a restaurant.

We visited today's port in 2019 on the Veendam.  After taking the shuttle into town, we rode the city bus out to the Palace of Knossos.  I have to make a quick run to the store to get some bubbly to chill for tonight.   I'll see if I have some different pictures when I get back.

With this Delta variant please be careful out there and wear your masks 😷

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20

Well, thanks to Rich for your true volunteering Daily Report. Plus 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 to all our guest columnist that make this a more palpable read than our daily news.

We have nothing planned for this holiday weekend. Covid cases are rampant so after our travels laying low in semi quarantine to protect our friends and general public. Just in case.

• Like 23

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Today is back to the doc day. Hoping I lose two pounds as quickly as the British and their colonies lost 11 days. Would love to lose the brace and start therapy.

Good luck at the doctor’s today.  Hope that brace comes off and therapy begins 🤞 

• Like 13

Good morning all!  I hope everyone here is safe from the flooding and escaped the tornadoes of yesterday.  The videos of the flood waters is horrifying.  Prayers for all Ida sufferers as well as our Care list.  Cheers for our friends who have happy events to celebrate.  

A nice group of days to celebrate today, though I feel like today is topsy-turvy day in my house.  We have our routines in the morning, but today DH had a 9 am physical exam scheduled so we decided he would do his treadmill work first, followed by me so I am way behind!  I'm trying to cool down right now!  It's the 12% incline I do that's the killer!!  🥵  Anyway, VJ day is an important time to celebrate.  I do love coconut, and the calendar adjustment is an amazing fact that I had never heard of. Speaking of calendars this week I've been working on a 2022 wall calendar on Shutterfly so that is appropriate for Calendar Adjustment Day.  The menu item will be skipped by me.  I like meat too much!  

Welcome to @CM1984!  Happy Anniversary to @Quartzsite Cruiser!  You were married 2 years before us.  We celebrate our 52nd on Monday Sept. 6th (Labor Day).   Roy said @Cruising-alongwas also celebrating an anniversary so Happy Anniversary to you both as well!  Your photos of the young grandsons going to school for their first day was adorable.  That's the age they like to pose on the first day.  I saw an Instagram post by my DIL of their two high schoolers driving off in the car to classes this week, and she said that's the only photo the boys approved of!  😄

@cat shepardfingers crossed you come home 2 pounds lighter today!🤞

I had to check our 2014 Prinsendam Holy Land cruise itinerary to see if I had actually been to Iraklion (Heraklion), Greece.  Yes, we had on Oct. 30, 2014.  So I looked at the photo book I made to see what the story was for that port.  Apparently it rained very hard, but we and our two friends walked off the ship anyway.  I don't remember much except I believe we stood under an overhang for a while to escape the downpour.  Luckily it didn't rain hard all day so we were able to walk around the town some.  I'll come back with photos later after I study them a while to refresh my memory.  This would be a great port for a re-visit so I can learn more about it and see things through fresh eyes.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. After a horrible night of rain and tornado watches, the sun is shining. I came out in the dark last night to check to make sure water wasn’t coming in through the glass patio door and managed to fall. I had my flashlight but it didn’t work and I didn’t want to wake the aide by turning on the light. I had a horrible night, slept 4 hours , and am in a lot of pain. The aide helped me get up. Thankfully, because I didn’t 911 in the terrible rain.   I called to cancel my hygienist appointment and found out she can’t come in because of flooding on rt.  1 and the office has no power. 
My LA grandson just landed at JFK and is taking an Uber home because his dads car, parked in a garage is flooded. 
Sam has PT this morning and I will have to drive him there and back if they are open. I might ask a neighbor to drop him off. It’s right outside the gate to our development but the staff still has to get there.

Stay safe out there in this crazy world,

Carol

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. After a horrible night of rain and tornado watches, the sun is shining. I came out in the dark last night to check to make sure water wasn’t coming in through the glass patio door and managed to fall. I had my flashlight but it didn’t work and I didn’t want to wake the aide by turning on the light. I had a horrible night, slept 4 hours , and am in a lot of pain. The aide helped me get up. Thankfully, because I didn’t 911 in the terrible rain.   I called to cancel my hygienist appointment and found out she can’t come in because of flooding on rt.  1 and the office has no power. 
My LA grandson just landed at JFK and is taking an Uber home because his dads car, parked in a garage is flooded. 
Sam has PT this morning and I will have to drive him there and back if they are open. I might ask a neighbor to drop him off. It’s right outside the gate to our development but the staff still has to get there.

Carol

Oh, my gosh!   Are you sure you shouldn't go get checked out due to your fall.  I'm worried about the continued pain and the fact that you needed help getting up.  If the pain continues, please get it checked.   And, turn on the lights!!!

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Oh no Carol 😱 I don’t like the sounds of you still in pain and needing help.

Definitely get a neighbour to take Sam and I think you should see your doctor or emerg to be checked.  I hope you have not damaged anything 🙏🏻 

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Carol, I echo Debbie's thoughts!  I hope you will have yourself checked out.  Your family needs you in good health!  Also, sorry about your DGS and the flooded car.  So much devastation!

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

…managed to fall…I had a horrible night, slept 4 hours , and am in a lot of pain. The aide helped me get up. 

If you are in pain and needed help to get up, YOU should have yourself checked.  Your family needs you in good health.  You may have a fracture somewhere which will only get worse if you don’t get it treated.  PLEASE get yourself checked.

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning all!  I hope everyone here is safe from the flooding and escaped the tornadoes of yesterday.  The videos of the flood waters is horrifying.  Prayers for all Ida sufferers as well as our Care list.  Cheers for our friends who have happy events to celebrate.  

A nice group of days to celebrate today, though I feel like today is topsy-turvy day in my house.  We have our routines in the morning, but today DH had a 9 am physical exam scheduled so we decided he would do his treadmill work first, followed by me so I am way behind!  I'm trying to cool down right now!  It's the 12% incline I do that's the killer!!  🥵  Anyway, VJ day is an important time to celebrate.  I do love coconut, and the calendar adjustment is an amazing fact that I had never heard of. Speaking of calendars this week I've been working on a 2022 wall calendar on Shutterfly so that is appropriate for Calendar Adjustment Day.  The menu item will be skipped by me.  I like meat too much!  

Welcome to @CM1984!  Happy Anniversary to @Quartzsite Cruiser!  You were married 2 years before us.  We celebrate our 52nd on Monday Sept. 6th (Labor Day).   Roy said @Cruising-alongwas also celebrating an anniversary so Happy Anniversary to you both as well!  Your photos of the young grandsons going to school for their first day was adorable.  That's the age they like to pose on the first day.  I saw an Instagram post by my DIL of their two high schoolers driving off in the car to classes this week, and she said that's the only photo the boys approved of!  😄

@cat shepardfingers crossed you come home 2 pounds lighter today!🤞

I had to check our 2014 Prinsendam Holy Land cruise itinerary to see if I had actually been to Iraklion (Heraklion), Greece.  Yes, we had on Oct. 30, 2014.  So I looked at the photo book I made to see what the story was for that port.  Apparently it rained very hard, but we and our two friends walked off the ship anyway.  I don't remember much except I believe we stood under an overhang for a while to escape the downpour.  Luckily it didn't rain hard all day so we were able to walk around the town some.  I'll come back with photos later after I study them a while to refresh my memory.  This would be a great port for a re-visit so I can learn more about it and see things through fresh eyes.

Congratulations for Monday for your 52nd wedding anniversary.

Very best wishes to a nice looking couple.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Sorry to hear about your fall and subsequent pain.

Hopefully you feel a lot better soon and have no injuries.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Roy said @Cruising-alongwas also celebrating an anniversary so Happy Anniversary to you both as well!  Your photos of the young grandsons going to school for their first day was adorable.  That's the age they like to pose on the first day.  I saw an Instagram post by my DIL of their two high schoolers driving off in the car to classes this week, and she said that's the only photo the boys approved of!  😄

Thank you for your sweet comments about my grandsons -- I adore them!  So cute about the high schoolers!!!  That will definitely be our boys in a few years. 😂

It isn't our anniversary -- I think maybe Roy @rafinmdmixed me up with Quartzsite Cruiser (?)  It will be our anniversary later this month on the 27th though and we hope to be celebrating it in the Med on the Eurodam!  An early happy anniversary to you and your DH!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh no Carol 😱 I don’t like the sounds of you still in pain and needing help.

Definitely get a neighbour to take Sam and I think you should see your doctor or emerg to be checked.  I hope you have not damaged anything 🙏🏻 

I’m ok. Just aches from falling. I am not able to get up from the floor anymore ever so was lucky  the aide was here. Nothing damaged, I’m sure. If my hip implant was hurt, I wouldn’t be able to walk and I don’t have that kind of pain. But, thanks for caring.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

If you are in pain and needed help to get up, YOU should have yourself checked.  Your family needs you in good health.  You may have a fracture somewhere which will only get worse if you don’t get it treated.  PLEASE get yourself checked.

I’m ok. Nothing broken. I can never get up from the floor anymore. Just some aches and pain from falling.

• Like 10

Good morning all!

Well fall is really here.  Only 49 degrees when I got up at 6:00 and still dark out....heading for 73 and sunny today though, I'll take it. 🙂  

VJ Day is so important to celebrate.  Not a fan of coconut, thank you for the explanation of Calendar Adjustment Day.  Will pass on the meal, the wine sounds like it could be a good one.  Have never been to the port today, but would love to.  It hasn't been on any of our Med itineraries (yet) 😁

@Quartzsite CruiserHappy Anniversary!!!  

@CrabbyPattiI'm so sorry to hear about your quarantine and am praying you remain healthy.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1