Carnival should do the testing at the pier for free like the other lines!

eileen11

On 9/4/2021 at 3:38 AM, eileen11 said:

NCL tests for free at the port. Why do we have to pay for Carnival's testing?  I am perfectly willing to test with CVS, but if it does not come back in time, then we have to fly across country and pay hundreds of dollars for a test that NCL is paying for and Carnival is not.

In their defense we do not know what the charge yet. I think everyone is assuming its $100-$150 but nobody knows 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm pretty sure NCL is passing any costs on to cruisers. I'm frankly surprised they don't charge cruisers a 20% gratuity like they do with the other free stuff.

Exactly. Before i booked my upcoming cruise on the Magic i checked out an NCL cruise leaving out of NYC which i wouldnt have to fly to get to.Even with all their promos, a 4 day interior room going to Bermuda would be more than our upcoming 5 day Magic cruise with a cove balcony plus the flight, plus the overnight stay, plus the covid test charge for our son. Carnival is still cheaper.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zeroed said:

Carnival could easily minimize this if they’d just go with 100% vax and no exceptions for any reason. The expensive day of terminal tests wouldn’t be needed anymore.  As for the vaxxed, they’d get tested before they arrive at the terminal or they don’t get in. It would solve a lot of problems if Carnival did this. 

The problem is about the availability for the vaxxed to get tested in the 2 day window before arrival at the terminal NOT how many are vaccinated. 

23 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Each to his own. The people getting the emed home test have a expiration date in oct which was lengthened to January. Who wants to worry about expiration dates. It's only $25 a test if you use all 6, I'm solo. I'll take my chances with a drive thru CVS. Plenty CVS around here. Cant go inside for test, just sit in your car. I guess they figure if you are testing for covid they dont want you inside.

And you don't even have to sit waiting in the parking lot. I got one done for exposure when testing requirementwas 1st announced. Had it scheduled before work. I went to the appointment thru the drive thru, then took my son to work then to my job. As I got to work I got my results. No time waisted 😁 nor possible exposure to anyone like the other person said 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babygrljaz said:

And you don't even have to sit waiting in the parking lot. I got one done for exposure when testing requirementwas 1st announced. Had it scheduled before work. I went to the appointment thru the drive thru, then took my son to work then to my job. As I got to work I got my results. No time waisted 😁 nor possible exposure to anyone like the other person said 

I go Wednesday and not sure what to expect. I'd prefer to go inside and sit in the ac. It's hot here in texas. But if drive thru is what it is, I'll get thru it. I guess the expectation is I might have covid is why I want to be tested. 

On 9/4/2021 at 7:19 AM, Pyrate13 said:

Seems simple, don't like Carnivals method then go with NCL.

What if you have been a loyal Carnival fan and have a high passenger status with them. Not many people are willing to go to another cruise line and start from the bottom. Just my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I go Wednesday and not sure what to expect. I'd prefer to go inside and sit in the ac. It's hot here in texas. But if drive thru is what it is, I'll get thru it. I guess the expectation is I might have covid is why I want to be tested. 

If it's anything like my recent Walgreen's test (and I'd guess it is), you shouldn't have any trouble with the heat. You stay in your air conditioned car at the drug store drive thru, albeit with the window open, as you do the paperwork and swab your nose. It took about 5 minutes. (Plus whatever time you spend waiting in the drive thru line, but during that time you have the windows closed)

3 minutes ago, tomcatguy74 said:

What if you have been a loyal Carnival fan and have a high passenger status with them. Not many people are willing to go to another cruise line and start from the bottom. Just my opinion. 

Then you have to decide which you want more, your loyalty status or a free Covid test, and choose your cruise line accordingly.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:19 AM, Pyrate13 said:

Seems simple, don't like Carnivals method then go with NCL.

Hi 

This seems so simple, maybe that's the problem. It's amazing how so many people can't grasp the idea. (not just for this topic or this industry)

6 minutes ago, tomcatguy74 said:

decisions... decisions

we make them every day

36 minutes ago, tomcatguy74 said:

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and make the change or just accept what is.

This is not their requirement, but, that of the CDC. Like it or not, it's what's been decided to make cruising as safe as possible and gives the lines the opportunity to operate during a pandemic. Everyone is free to make their own choice.

The cost of the actual tests for 3000+ peeps, plus the cost of administering and processing is not something that any company can easily absorb. One or two voyages perhaps, but also consider the amount of ships Carnival sails, the numerous ports and then the count of passengers sailing on a daily departure basis in comparison to another line, along with the sheer number of people that would need to be tested and the timelines to get that done before sail away. People can't even arrive at their allotted/selected check in times, can you imagine the chaos of adding testing on top of that?

Plus, the logistics & space requirements of setting up something like that would be immense and expensive. Believe me, they as any other line or business would pass along the cost and free it wouldn't be.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, rj59 said:

Don't do testing at the pier or a drugstore or run around worrying. Just order a BinaxNOW ag card monitored test, either through emed (6 tests for $150) or optum (2 for $70). You can take it when and were you like, you just need their app and some device with a cam and audio to have it monitored while you do it. It also is an ideal option for international travel, since you have an easy option for testing before returning to the US, and $25 a test is a reasonable option, especially if it removes the stress, risks of cancellation/not getting test results, lost time waiting in lines, having a stranger shove a swab up your nose, and  risks of sitting at a testing site with possibly infected people. That's the only reliable, universally accepted option now that can meet the 2-day testing window. 

Just reading the optim site. It’s say buy 2 but it seems that’s only for 1 person to tele med. 

Not sure but that’s how I read it 

COVID tests, especially the Rapid Antigen Tests are in short supply throughout the country.  Testing sites are fewer.  This is in part due to the restart of testing for schools and businesses.  This makes it harder in the  for cruisers looking to grab a test 2 days before versus a student or worker who can quarantine at home and wait until a test is available.  The CDC and many medical academics want more testing under the assumption that too many people are asymptomatic and thus spreading the virus.