Hotel Opinion Please

cleobella

We are booked to sail out of Rome next October.  In browsing through hotels I was suprised to see that some have already sold out.  So, I went ahead and tentatively  booked Albergo Del Senato.  It seems like a nice place, a bit of a splurge for us, more then we would normally pay, but breakfast is included and it looks beautiful.  I think the location is good, across from the Pantheon, but I don't know Rome well, so who knows?  Any opinions about this hotel? Any less expensive, but comparable options? I'm good with the expense but want to make sure I am also getting a really nice place for the money.  We often stay in boutique hotels, location and cleanliness is most important, love the free breakfast idea as we often find a contential style breakfast works well for us in Europe (because we eat all day!).

Feel free to check out the following:

Hotels in Rome

A lot of good information and plenty of information on Albergo del Senato. We actually have it booked for next April based on the good praises a lot of people gave it. Like you, I felt it was pricey but we also booked the Penthouse suite so we could overlook the Pantheon. I am sure you will like. We are really looking forward to staying there.

• Like 1

The hotels are not sold out! Many don't allow booking this far in advance

Albergo del Senato is in a perfect location to walk to many sites

It has good service too

I stayed there many years ago on a land trip

It's worth a little splurge

I didn't book it for this cruise because we are not going sightseeing in Rome

Dh just wants to relax before t h e cruise

We may just sit at a Cafe or go b to the Borghese

So far I booked t h e Tribune Hotel with free cancellation

Edited by riffatsea
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 7:46 PM, riffatsea said:

The hotels are not sold out! Many don't allow booking this far in advance

Albergo del Senato is in a perfect location to walk to many sites

It has good service too

I stayed there many years ago on a land trip

It's worth a little splurge

I didn't book it for this cruise because we are not going sightseeing in Rome

Dh just wants to relax before t h e cruise

We may just sit at a Cafe or go b to the Borghese

So far I booked t h e Tribune Hotel with free cancellation

Thanks for this tip. Hotel looks good and a bit cheaper than Hotel Albergo del Senato. Will probably follow your lead and book Tribune for now.

15 minutes ago, georgemoe said:

Thanks for this tip. Hotel looks good and a bit cheaper than Hotel Albergo del Senato. Will probably follow your lead and book Tribune for now.

Be aware that if you are planning to do lots of sightseeing then Albergo del Seato is in a much better location

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, caripoo said:

Been staying here for years....One of my faves. I stopped reccomending it for awhile, because it was becoming so popular.......It is in a fabulous location...You will love it.

Good to know

I thought it looked good but didn't know it was fab!

2 hours ago, caripoo said:

Been staying here for years....One of my faves. I stopped reccomending it for awhile, because it was becoming so popular.......It is in a fabulous location...You will love it.

Are you referring to the Albergo del Senato or to the Tribune Hotel?  

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's good I have free cancellation as I now have booked in yet a different hotel!

I want somewhere relaxing for my no interested in tourism husband

Many years ago I stayed on the Aventine hill at Villa San Pio

The garden was lovely

I kept thinking about that and so now I've booked at its sister hotel San Anselmo

The price for transfer to the port is less than what was quoted to me by the Civitavecchio hotel fromFCO to the port

I thought going from Rome itself would be much more!

I think I am quite settled now

Iam also hoping that the nearby Testaccio restaurant is still open and available

On 9/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, cleobella said:

We are booked to sail out of Rome next October.  In browsing through hotels I was suprised to see that some have already sold out.  So, I went ahead and tentatively  booked Albergo Del Senato.  It seems like a nice place, a bit of a splurge for us, more then we would normally pay, but breakfast is included and it looks beautiful.  I think the location is good, across from the Pantheon, but I don't know Rome well, so who knows?  Any opinions about this hotel? Any less expensive, but comparable options? I'm good with the expense but want to make sure I am also getting a really nice place for the money.  We often stay in boutique hotels, location and cleanliness is most important, love the free breakfast idea as we often find a contential style breakfast works well for us in Europe (because we eat all day!).

We loved Albergo del Sonato.  If you like walking it’s perfect!  We walked everywhere!!!  The only taxi we took was to the Vatican because our tour was very early but we walked back to the hotel.  Breakfast was lovely too!

• 2 weeks later...

We booked Terrace Pantheon Relais, close to Pantheon, Campo de Fiore and Piazza Navona, very central to sights.  It is in same area as Albergo Del Senato , and has a nice rooftop terrace.  They have a few options for rooms to choose from and have been real good working with.  We don't go until 19th prior to cruise, so haven't been there yet to give first hand info.  

We stayed at the Albergo del Senato for 2 nights after disembarking and it was fabulous.  We lucked into one of the balcony rooms overlooking the plaza and the Pantheon.  The room was lovely and the breakfast was excellent.  The location was extremely convenient and safe.  We liked everything about the hotel, even the rate because it was off season so not too expensive.  If it fits into your budget, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

also planning for fall 2022 for 4 nights 3 couples (late 50s, like to walk). Considering these 2 Marriotts: Le Meridien or the new Regency Rome. Both have decent rates (under $300/night). I've been to Rome before, but have not stayed in either of these locations. We'll be at the Colosseum and Vatican 2 days (tour and maybe Papal audience), but it looks like with Meridien, one still needs to use transit or taxi, so closer proximity doesn't seem to really matter much? Any thoughts? 

14 hours ago, elaine5 said:

also planning for fall 2022 for 4 nights 3 couples (late 50s, like to walk). Considering these 2 Marriotts: Le Meridien or the new Regency Rome. Both have decent rates (under $300/night). I've been to Rome before, but have not stayed in either of these locations. We'll be at the Colosseum and Vatican 2 days (tour and maybe Papal audience), but it looks like with Meridien, one still needs to use transit or taxi, so closer proximity doesn't seem to really matter much? Any thoughts? 

It would be about a 20-minute walk to the Vatican from the Le Meridien hotel, at a decent pace. However I also wonder how many (good) restaurant choices are in the vicinity for the evening? Part of the pleasure of being in Rome is strolling around before (and after) dinner and enjoying the environs....

I am also not a fan of the location of the Regency Rome, which is even further from the centro than the Marriott (Grand Flora). While a pretty area and probably more restaurant choices nearby, it is a long way from being in the center -- about a 40 minute walk to the Colosseum; 25+ minutes even to Trevi Fountain. Of course those areas are reachable by taxi, but at expense of really being immersed in the experience. If that's what you prefer than I'm sure either one will provide an excellent experience.

1 hour ago, elaine5 said:

thank you. We have always stayed closer to the center and walked everywhere. But, to stay on budget at a 4* hotel means staying a bit farther out. 

As long as you realize that the star system in Italy is not exactly like the US; it's not necessarily an indicator of luxury or top hotel status. Instead stars are awarded based on amenities offered -- such as a full onsite restaurant, pool, conference facilities -- all of which may mean nothing during a brief city stay for sightseeing purposes. I've stayed in a number of 3 star hotels in Rome that are the equivalent of a 4-star boutique hotel in, say Boston or San Francisco.