Rapid Diagnostic Test ( ID NOW )

DAVLIB007

The Protocols listed onthe website are a pretty good answer.  Most important question to answer is if its a fully proctored test which it needs to be to be accepted.  It also lists the data that needs to be on the test results.  I always start there before i try someone at Carnival.

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable guests?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

What kind of proof of testing will Carnival accept?

Acceptable proof of PCR/antigen COVID-19 testing is as follows:

• Laboratory test record
  • Digital certificate
  • Healthcare record

The results must show:

• First and last name
  • Date of birth
  • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  • Date and time the sample was taken
  • Test result is stated as "NEGATIVE" or "NOT DETECTED"
  • Laboratory or testing site, and/or healthcare provider details

If there is doubt as to the authenticity or validity of the test, and the testing facility or healthcare provider is not able to be contacted for verification purposes, embarkation may be denied.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

The Protocols listed onthe website are a pretty good answer.  Most important question to answer is if its a fully proctored test which it needs to be to be accepted.  It also lists the data that needs to be on the test results.  I always start there before i try someone at Carnival.

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable guests?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

What kind of proof of testing will Carnival accept?

Acceptable proof of PCR/antigen COVID-19 testing is as follows:

• Laboratory test record
  • Digital certificate
  • Healthcare record

The results must show:

• First and last name
  • Date of birth
  • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  • Date and time the sample was taken
  • Test result is stated as "NEGATIVE" or "NOT DETECTED"
  • Laboratory or testing site, and/or healthcare provider details

If there is doubt as to the authenticity or validity of the test, and the testing facility or healthcare provider is not able to be contacted for verification purposes, embarkation may be denied.

This!  (Check the website, check it often, and read the actual information there...) 

( PS: I always find it interesting that there are many different threads essentially asking the same type of question when a brief visit to Carnival's site will provide that info. ) 🤣

Edited by Brkintx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

In Southern California none of the usual suspects, including Walgreens have any rapid tests. Leaves the vaccinated in the lurch to get PCR results quick enough. 

Same situation up here in Central California. Some clinics are offering rapid tests for $240-$290 dollars each. E-med.com---- 6 tests for $150. Received our six last Tuesday. Will use them for our Oct. Panorama sailing.

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

In Southern California none of the usual suspects, including Walgreens have any rapid tests. Leaves the vaccinated in the lurch to get PCR results quick enough. 

I booked a rapid antigen test for CVS in Santa Monica on 9/16!!!! What do you mean?!?!?!? Now you have me freaking out!

5CAAB040-684D-4512-B14C-68258B74086E.jpeg

• Like 1

@MovielaYou shouldn’t freak people out like that. Just got off the phone with the Pharmacist in Santa Monica CVS and she assured me I’m all set for the rapid antigen test on 9/16/21 for my 9/18 cruise. I even asked her if there was a possibility it wouldn’t be available and she said absolutely it would be available.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bdever said:

If you live in Southern California the following CVS locations have a Minute Clinic offering rapid antigen testing and appointments are even available for tomorrow:

5520DF3C-7D2C-4ED0-A855-1473C5D6A923.jpeg

3AB68E98-1910-4067-ABF7-884F5E1F755E.jpeg

ED4222B6-3927-4D59-A6BA-43FDC92B7B7F.jpeg

789D0404-817F-4FAF-ABB5-CC53C8E504A8.jpeg

What is the cost of the test at CVS?

34 minutes ago, jmoak said:

What is the cost of the test at CVS?

It says free as they will either bill your insurance or the Government if you do not have insurance. However a cost of $139 is mentioned in the event that the Insurance company or Government program denies or rejects the invoice. 

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

The id now is a ‘naat molecular test’; so per their list it should qualify.

That's the real trick. People say to check the Carnival website and read the information there, but what percentage of the people are going to know that ID NOW is a "naat molecular test"? 

• Like 2

Carnival accepts the BinaxNow proctored tests for the pre cruise testing of vaccinated people.  It's reported by several people here on the CCL and other lines forums.  See post #29 below.  Yes, the cruise lines should specify brands which they accept to make it clear to everyone~

4 hours ago, bdever said:

I booked a rapid antigen test for CVS in Santa Monica on 9/16!!!! What do you mean?!?!?!? Now you have me freaking out!

5CAAB040-684D-4512-B14C-68258B74086E.jpeg

This is the location I have to go to as well. Nothing else near me in the Pico/Robertson area. I just need to remember to book 2 weeks out before my next Oct cruise out of Galveston.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, madera cruiser said:

Same situation up here in Central California. Some clinics are offering rapid tests for $240-$290 dollars each. E-med.com---- 6 tests for $150. Received our six last Tuesday. Will use them for our Oct. Panorama sailing.

Do you know how many people can use the box? I saw several times on the EMed site where they mention that the two-pack can be used to test yourself twice- says nothing about using two tests for two different people. I can’t find the info online, so I was wondering if anyone else has come across it? 

12 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

That's the real trick. People say to check the Carnival website and read the information there, but what percentage of the people are going to know that ID NOW is a "naat molecular test"? 

It's on walgreen's website. I don't know, I assume people read things and do their own research.

29 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

It's on walgreen's website. I don't know, I assume people read things and do their own research.

Some people find that easier to do that than others. I always picture my 80-something MIL trying to figure it out using her smart phone. That is the situation some cruisers are in so I don't mind explaining.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

Some people find that easier to do that than others. I always picture my 80-something MIL trying to figure it out using her smart phone. That is the situation some cruisers are in so I don't mind explaining.

That's fair. I do have trouble with people who can't adapt to new things. So far my 70 year old parents are still pretty savvy. I am sure I will be in that situation someday. 

19 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

That's fair. I do have trouble with people who can't adapt to new things. So far my 70 year old parents are still pretty savvy. I am sure I will be in that situation someday. 

Maybe part of my empathy comes from being 65 - I am a lot closer than you are to that point😂.

5 hours ago, xraymomma said:

Do you know how many people can use the box? I saw several times on the EMed site where they mention that the two-pack can be used to test yourself twice- says nothing about using two tests for two different people. I can’t find the info online, so I was wondering if anyone else has come across it? 

One test per person…..so a two pkg kit can be used by two different people.  Each of you just need to set up your own account on the app.

• Like 1

My issue isn't the need for help / a bit of guidance... it's the type of help / guidance that's sought. (and the word 'issue' is waaaaayyyy too strong a word...  but I already used 'find it interesting' so...)

Analogizing...  when someone is parking and instead of checking their mirror they ask a passerby to tell them if the path is clear.  Basically, relying on anonymous posters who maintain no liability for information they provide in order to make personal decisions that have serious potential impact... well, I just find it interesting.

• Like 1