Covid PCR/Antigen Testing Prior To Cruise Departure

annandme

10 minutes ago, Nymich said:

My Oceania Rep and his Supervisor informed me today that when I drive to the Port and test negative

I have nothing to worry about during the cruise and if I get covid during the cruise "Oceania handles quarantining and my safe trip home".  I was also told and have all this in writing that the 72 to 96 hour test was "optional".   Makes sense as I would be driving home if positive at the Pier.

If I am flying to my departure post and test positive PRIOR to boarding I would need the negative test done 72-96 hours out for Oceania to handle the quarantine/hotel charges etc...incurred since I will be denied boarding.

I really questioned him as it has been presented on this thread that the 72 to 96 hour test pertains to during the cruise when it does not.  It only is there in case you want your costs covered if you test positive at the port.  I think if flying it makes sense to be negative using the pre test, jmo.

Obviously trip insurance is a must for for us and these rules are subject to change.

Thank you for pursuing clarity and getting something in writing.

That said, what you are reporting is still in some conflict with the T&Cs and SailSafe FAQs. And, as the T&Cs clearly state, the most recent info on the O website trumps all other statements (no matter where you got them even in a written correspondence.)

Your comment about driving vs flying makes some sense in terms of expenses to get home. But, you have not addressed the issue of fare refund. 

IMO, not opting for the “recommended” 72-96 hour pre-embarkation Covid test (whether driving or flying) is “pennywise and pound foolish.” It is that test that O is relying on to determine whether or not you have Covid as a PreExistingCondition. 

And it is the PEC issue that is the major concern here. The sum total of the Oceania T&Cs and FAQs can only be interpreted as stating: “If you did not test positive within 72-96 hours before arriving at the ship you do not have Covid as a PEC. And, in that case, you will receive a refund of the cruise fare paid and purchased options.”

Likewise, if you have travel insurance that does not exclude Covid as claimable, you still face the issue of whether or not you have a PEC waiver on that policy. Thus, if you test positive at the ship (regardless of drive or fly), the only way you can “prove” that Covid was not a PEC before you commenced your covered travel (I.e., walked out your door to start your), is to present evidence of a negative Covid test taken within 72-96 hours prior to embarkation day. In this case, if you don’t have an insurance PEC waiver and/or no “recommended” Covid pre-arrival negative test at embarkation, you may be SOL on getting a refund from either O or your insurer.

Are you willing to bet your 4-5 figure fare refund on a very gray interpretive area easily clarified by the pre-Cruise “recommended” test that may only cost up to $100-200 pp (if at all)?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thank you for pursuing clarity and getting something in writing.

That said, what you are reporting is still in some conflict with the T&Cs and SailSafe FAQs. And, as the T&Cs clearly state, the most recent info on the O website trumps all other statements (no matter where you got them even in a written correspondence.)

Your comment about driving vs flying makes some sense in terms of expenses to get home. But, you have not addressed the issue of fare refund. 

IMO, not opting for the “recommended” 72-96 hour pre-embarkation Covid test (whether driving or flying) is “pennywise and pound foolish.” It is that test that O is relying on to determine whether or not you have Covid as a PreExistingCondition. 

And it is the PEC issue that is the major concern here. The sum total of the Oceania T&Cs and FAQs can only be interpreted as stating: “If you did not test positive within 72-96 hours before arriving at the ship you do not have Covid as a PEC. And, in that case, you will receive a refund of the cruise fare paid and purchased options.”

Likewise, if you have travel insurance that does not exclude Covid as claimable, you still face the issue of whether or not you have a PEC waiver on that policy. Thus, if you test positive at the ship (regardless of drive or fly), the only way you can “prove” that Covid was not a PEC before you commenced your covered travel (I.e., walked out your door to start your), is to present evidence of a negative Covid test taken within 72-96 hours prior to embarkation day. In this case, if you don’t have an insurance PEC waiver and/or no “recommended” Covid pre-arrival negative test at embarkation, you may be SOL on getting a refund from either O or your insurer.

Are you willing to bet your 4-5 figure fare refund on a very gray interpretive area easily clarified by the pre-Cruise “recommended” test that may only cost up to $100-200 pp (if at all)?

We will test 72 prior either way that seems to be the smartest plan.  It's also best for those around us in these times.

That being said you keep marrying the 72 hour test with covered care onboard for covid? Neither my O rep or their Supervisor agrees.  Let us know where in the T&C it marries these two together?  I would like to let them know what they are missing.

As for the refund or fcc we were told that would be covered because we tested negative at the pier and followed the healthy protocols.

I do think the 72 hour test is a good cya for our insurance if needed but insurance and T&C are two different things as you well know.

Edited by Nymich

We are flying in 4 days early for our 09NOV Marina sailing back to Miami.  We will have taken our PCR test within 72 hours prior to arriving into Italy (per their regulations) but that will be too old for Oceania to prove no PEC of COVID.  We have purchased the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services - 2 Pack for Travel to take with us.  We will then take these within 72 hours of embarkation.  The test is taken with a live video meeting with a medical professional monitoring the test and results.  They then provide, via email, a written test results to show Oceania upon arrival at the pier for embarkation.   They are available 24 hours a day for monitoring the test so easy to do from hotel room.  This takes the stress out of trying to find a testing location in a foreign city.

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

We will test 72 prior either way that seems to be the smartest plan.  It's also best for those around us in these times.

That being said you keep marrying the 72 hour test with covered care onboard for covid? Neither my O rep or their Supervisor agrees.  Let us know where in the T&C it marries these two together?  I would like to let them know what they are missing.

As for the refund or fcc we were told that would be covered because we tested negative at the pier and followed the healthy protocols.

I do think the 72 hour test is a good cya for our insurance if needed but insurance and T&C are two different things.

Let’s look closely at three O items that make the pre-cruise “recommended” Covid test essential for refunds et al. (I’ll add my analysis in bolded talics.) BTW, I am not questioning O’s complimentary provided Covid onboard care under any circumstances. My concern regards coverage for (during/following the cruise) land-based Covid quarantine, treatment and MedEvac).

From the SailSafe FAQs:

Am I required to test for Covid prior to traveling?
......Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements.

Of course, this is critical for anyone flying to embarkation since there can be substantial costs related to air tix, accommodations, etc. But, the same holds true for those who drive a long distance requiring car expenses, hotel (enroute) etc.

Section 5f and 5g of Oceania’s Ticket Contract:

f. Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case Before Boarding. You agree that if at any time within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation, You test positive for COVID-19, exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, have had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or We otherwise determine in Our sole discretion that You are unfit to board because of any communicable illness, We will deny You boarding. Under these circumstances, unless We determine that You have failed to comply with Our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, if You are denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19, You will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, or if required by law, a refund equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, subject to Your providing verification satisfactory to Us of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by Us. Under no circumstances shall We have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

Whether you intend to drive or fly: if you can’t prove you tested Covid positive within 2 weeks prior to the cruise, you are SOL for a refund).

g. Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case After Boarding. You further understand and agree that if, after boarding, and even if You have fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, You test positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, We may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine You as well as members of Your travelling party, or take other steps which We determine, in Our sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, if You have a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 and You are disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined, You shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare or if required by law, a prorated refund for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. You are responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall We be liable to You for any other costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by You.

IMO, Ticket contract 5g contradicts the SailSafe FAQs: If you test positive onboard, the Ticket Contract says “you’re not covered” while the SailSafe FAQs say “you are covered” for Covid related expenses beyond the fare refund.

Further complicating the issues is this statement in the

Introduction to the Ticket Contract: In addition, in the event of any conflict between the COVID-19 policies, procedures and conditions set forth in Clause 5 or elsewhere herein and as those policies, procedures and conditions are set forth at www.oceaniacruises.com/health, the website controls. 

Surprise! ALL of these documents are on the website!!!

And, by error (or intention), there is no mention of what happens if you test a false negative at embarkation as evidenced by symptoms soon after boarding and a positive retest??? Your evidence of the  negative “recommended” pre-cruise test within 72-96 hours prior to embarkation would sure come in handy in that “whizzing match.” Thus, what happens once onboard really can be affected by whether or not you established (prior to the cruise) that Covid was not a PreExistingCondition.

Bottom line is: “Slice it or dice it” any way one wants but, Without a non-O negative Covid test within 72-96 hours before embarkation, one can be SOL on all sorts of fronts.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

27 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Let’s look closely at three O items that make the pre-cruise “recommended” Covid test essential for refunds et al. (I’ll add my analysis in bolded talics.) BTW, I am not questioning O’s complimentary provided Covid onboard care under any circumstances. My concern regards coverage for (during/following the cruise) land-based Covid quarantine, treatment and MedEvac).

From the SailSafe FAQs:

......Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements.

Of course, this is critical for anyone flying to embarkation since there can be substantial costs related to air tix, accommodations, etc. But, the same holds true for those who drive a long distance requiring car expenses, hotel (enroute) etc.

f. Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case Before Boarding. You agree that if at any time within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation, You test positive for COVID-19, exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, have had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or We otherwise determine in Our sole discretion that You are unfit to board because of any communicable illness, We will deny You boarding. Under these circumstances, unless We determine that You have failed to comply with Our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, if You are denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19, You will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, or if required by law, a refund equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, subject to Your providing verification satisfactory to Us of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by Us. Under no circumstances shall We have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

Whether you intend to drive or fly: if you can’t prove you tested Covid positive within 2 weeks prior to the cruise, you are SOL for a refund).

g. Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case After Boarding. You further understand and agree that if, after boarding, and even if You have fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, You test positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, We may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine You as well as members of Your travelling party, or take other steps which We determine, in Our sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, if You have a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 and You are disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined, You shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare or if required by law, a prorated refund for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. You are responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall We be liable to You for any other costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by You.

IMO, Ticket contract 5g contradicts the SailSafe FAQs: If you test positive onboard, the Ticket Contract says “you’re not covered” while the SailSafe FAQs say “you are covered” for Covid related expenses beyond the fare refund.

Introduction to the Ticket Contract: In addition, in the event of any conflict between the COVID-19 policies, procedures and conditions set forth in Clause 5 or elsewhere herein and as those policies, procedures and conditions are set forth at www.oceaniacruises.com/health, the website controls. 

And, by error (or intention), there is no mention of what happens if you test a false negative at embarkation as evidenced by symptoms soon after boarding and a positive retest??? Your evidence of the  negative “recommended” pre-cruise test within 72-96 hours prior to embarkation would sure come in handy in that “whizzing match.” Thus, what happens once onboard really can be affected by whether or not you established (prior to the cruise) that Covid was not a PreExistingCondition.

Bottom line is: “Slice it or dice it” any way one wants but, Without a non-O negative Covid test within 72-96 hours before embarkation, one can be SOL on all sorts of fronts.

Great detail but my head is spinning.  Right now I am only concerned with step 1 - getting a neg result 3-4 days prior to embarking. That will get me into Italy and establish that any result after is not due to a PEC, which should then protect my investment...  Correct?

Just now, nikless said:

Great detail but my head is spinning.  Right now I am only concerned with step 1 - getting a neg result 3-4 days prior to embarking. That will get me into Italy and establish that any result after is not due to a PEC, which should then protect my investment...  Correct?

As long as your test is within 72 hours of embarkation but if you are spending several days prior to embarkation in Italy, your step 1 test results could be fine for entering Italy but too old for Oceania embarkation....see post #53 for our solution to this problem.

As far as I am concerned, you have to take your PCR test 3 days before the cruise. In any case, I am sure they can allow you to have a pricy express testing , but if you do it a few days in advance you will avoid all the rush when boarding 

4 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

As far as I am concerned, you have to take your PCR test 3 days before the cruise. In any case, I am sure they can allow you to have a pricy express testing , but if you do it a few days in advance you will avoid all the rush when boarding 

Oceania will still require all take their test prior to embarkation, irregardless if you have taken another test earlier.....it does not have anything to do with embarkation testing at the pier rather in proving that COVID is not a PEC in the days prior to embarkation.  2 different issues....

I would suggest arriving early anyway. You never know what changes there can be. Its better to forsee all that and arrive early even if you will have to stay in a hotel for a day or two. Its always better to be closer in the information cluster 

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I would suggest arriving early anyway. You never know what changes there can be. Its better to forsee all that and arrive early even if you will have to stay in a hotel for a day or two. Its always better to be closer in the information cluster 

Agree - we are arriving 4 days early to explore Trieste and surrounding areas..

I agree for sure.

Now I see the marriage and agree as well.  I will do the pre test to cover all the bases.   Thanks for taking the time to put all that together.

1 hour ago, basor said:

As long as your test is within 72 hours of embarkation but if you are spending several days prior to embarkation in Italy, your step 1 test results could be fine for entering Italy but too old for Oceania embarkation....see post #53 for our solution to this problem.

Saw your post.  thanks for the tip.

The O website FAQs were updated 9/27 and state:

Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative Covid-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to travel.

What does "travel" mean?  departure from home, or time of embarkation (in which case a PCR result will not be available until after you depart from home)?  We intended to get rapid antigen tested on a Friday afternoon,  depart Saturday, arrive in Italy on Sunday afternoon, embark on Tuesday.  If there "travel" means home departure, we are covered.  If it means embarkation, I guess we better buy that test you have and use it on the day prior to embarkation, because our 72 hour window will have run out...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nikless said:

Saw your post.  thanks for the tip.

The O website FAQs were updated 9/27 and state:

Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative Covid-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to travel.

What does "travel" mean?  departure from home, or time of embarkation (in which case a PCR result will not be available until after you depart from home)?  We intended to get rapid antigen tested on a Friday afternoon,  depart Saturday, arrive in Italy on Sunday afternoon, embark on Tuesday.  If there "travel" means home departure, we are covered.  If it means embarkation, I guess we better buy that test you have and use it on the day prior to embarkation, because our 72 hour window will have run out...

We are not sure so figurered we would take the test within 72 hours of embarkation so no question as to 72 hours timeline

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

From the SailSafe FAQs:

Flatbush Flyer, I want to thank you for all the time and effort you put into educating and supporting our O cruisers with accurate and correct information.

• Like 1

For the time being, testing will be a way of life as people make their way across international borders.  We'll have a test when we go from the US to Portugal and another test a couple of weeks later when we go from Portugal to France.  We'll get another when we go from France to Spain and, because it'll be just over Oceania's 3-4 day limit, we'll get another test in Barcelona the day before embarkation.  Not sure how many tests may be required during the 2-week cruise but, once we arrive in Trieste, we'll need another test to get back to Portugal.  We'll spend a bit more time there so, the day before out departure, we'll need to get another test to meet TAP and US requirements.  I don't know if I'll test positive for Covid, but I know that my nasal passages are going to be rubbed raw from the testing.  Welcome to the new normal.

• Like 1

I do not think  it is unreasonable for Oceania not to make their requirements unequivocally clear.  We are not sailing until February on Riviera and should not have to read tea leaves to understand what they require.  Both NCL and Regent have better explanations.  Our TA asked them to clarify and their response was “read the website”.  There wouldn’t be questions if the website was clear.  My conclusion is that they do not want to be consistent so they can pick whichever one works best for them at the time.

There’s some helpful stuff on this Thread so thanks to all who have helped to shine light in a complex area.  I’ve also concluded that the pre-departure test is something that will cause Oceania to support with quarantine and travel home if you test positive immediately prior to embarkation. It is not a pre-requisite for their responsibility to respond in the event of a positive test at any point after this.

I have however noted that in the Travel and Entry Requirements document they now say…….

“Please ensure that prior to commencing travel, you have all of the travel documents and pre-travel testing that are required. While most countries have waived testing requirements for vaccinated travelers, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends all guests undergo a COVID-19 PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to commencing travel or a COVID-19 antigen test not more than 48 hours prior to commencing travel.

The 48 hour reference conflicts with the main protocols document which still says 72 hours.  I wonder if this is a typo or a deliberate change?

My interpretation of the point at which the clock starts ticking is 48 hours before my flight leaves as I’ve purchased a flight inclusive package.  I arrive in BCN the night before embarkation.  If they meant embarkation they would use this word.  Someone else has described this as a grey area and I think they’re right but I think there’s space for reasonable interpretation.

22 minutes ago, BigDinners said:

There’s some helpful stuff on this Thread so thanks to all who have helped to shine light in a complex area.  I’ve also concluded that the pre-departure test is something that will cause Oceania to support with quarantine and travel home if you test positive immediately prior to embarkation. It is not a pre-requisite for their responsibility to respond in the event of a positive test at any point after this.

I have however noted that in the Travel and Entry Requirements document they now say…….

“Please ensure that prior to commencing travel, you have all of the travel documents and pre-travel testing that are required. While most countries have waived testing requirements for vaccinated travelers, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends all guests undergo a COVID-19 PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to commencing travel or a COVID-19 antigen test not more than 48 hours prior to commencing travel.

The 48 hour reference conflicts with the main protocols document which still says 72 hours.  I wonder if this is a typo or a deliberate change?

My interpretation of the point at which the clock starts ticking is 48 hours before my flight leaves as I’ve purchased a flight inclusive package.  I arrive in BCN the night before embarkation.  If they meant embarkation they would use this word.  Someone else has described this as a grey area and I think they’re right but I think there’s space for reasonable interpretation.

As I keep posting: “Slice it or dice it” anyway one wants. But, the bottom line remains adhering to the most stringent of the various statements so that there is zero gray area. 

Testing

We are flying to Italy to join our cruise and whilst Oceania recommend a PCR test  (72hrs) Antigen Test (48hrs) on checking Italy’s entry requirements (Gov,uk) a test (Antigen is acceptable) within 48 hrs of airport arrival in Italy not Heathrow departure

This has caused us a real headache…trying to get a result before leaving Heathrow.

some of the prices quoted have been “eye watering”. 
I hope all the PLF’s for each country are  easier.

20 minutes ago, piscean said:

Testing

We are flying to Italy to join our cruise and whilst Oceania recommend a PCR test  (72hrs) Antigen Test (48hrs) on checking Italy’s entry requirements (Gov,uk) a test (Antigen is acceptable) within 48 hrs of airport arrival in Italy not Heathrow departure

This has caused us a real headache…trying to get a result before leaving Heathrow.

some of the prices quoted have been “eye watering”. 
I hope all the PLF’s for each country are  easier.

If I use one of SFO’s labs’ results timing  (e.g.,  just hours for emailed PCR results) as an example, I can’t see Heathrow charging more than $200 USD/pp. In one sense, that’s not much in the grand scheme of things.

There’s also the Zoom type labs (I don’t know much about them (e.g., Abbott)) which could be done with flexible timing via wifi from wherever.   

There’s also the Zoom type labs (I don’t know much about them (e.g., Abbott)) which could be done with flexible timing via wifi from wherever.   

Abbott works well.  Quick learning curve, just needs a decent internet connection