Covid PCR/Antigen Testing Prior To Cruise Departure

annandme

Njhoresman:

I believe your interpretation is incorrect.  That press release is almost seven months old.  The two pack is over-the-counter, for self use only, is not proctored, and does not require a prescription. It may have at one point but does not currently.

The six test package is proctored, does require a prescription and is CLIA lab certified.  I purchased the six pack test in September, received instant prescription acknowledgment and the six tests were shipped the same day via FedEx overnight delivery. I previously mentioned that while the prescription was issued under my name, we were able to use  for three others as well. All simply had to create a user profile for Emed and NAVICA 

I performed the proctored test in September, witnessed my wife do the same. Then we did it again in October from Italy, for myself, and again witnessed my wife and two of my friends, all passing without issue and with a proctor. 

NAVICA test results were excepted by Airlines at check-in from the USA, upon arrival in Italy, and by the airlines on return in both Florence and our connection in Paris.

• Like 1

Well said.  If I could have bought the proctored test at a Pharmacy I might have. 

We used 2 for our last cruise and we depart on the next Nov 5 for 16 days and we will use 2 more.  We still have 2 backups from our 6 pack from emed.com.

They do sell them as a two pack, ordered them twice (most recently last Friday) and they arrived in 3 days.  Haven't used them yet.  

In addition to being tested by a pharmacy on Friday before the cruise (probably Walgreens) to meet Italy's 72 hour requirement for arrival on Sunday, we expect to use the proctored test at home on Saturday morning before our evening flight, to meet Oceania's recommended 72 hour time frame prior to boarding on Tuesday.  Then bring the other kit with us...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nikless said:

They do sell them as a two pack, ordered them twice (most recently last Friday) and they arrived in 3 days.  Haven't used them yet.  

Was that through Optum and what was the expiration date?  Thanks

Edited by Nymich

8 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Was that through Optum and what was the expiration date?  Thanks

We ordered ours through Optum aboth 2 weeks ago and expiraton date is 12/31/2021......we board Marnia on 09NOV so works for us to test in Trieste hotel 24 - 48 hours prior to embarkation

So, if you were going to arrive in Venice a couple days earlier than the 9th where would you test? They only want 72 hours before boarding! We are arriving in Venice on the 8th so will test here before going to the airport on the 7th. Test on the 6th. I was told by eric Oceania would transport people staying at the Hilton molino stucky hotel in Venice that Oceania would provide transportation from that hotel to Trieste at their expense because that is the hotel they originally recommended. Anyone else staying here before the cruise? We are going to do the private boat taxi from the Marco Polo airport to the Hilton hotel. Our flight arrives at about 2pm.

43 minutes ago, basor said:

We ordered ours through Optum aboth 2 weeks ago and expiraton date is 12/31/2021......we board Marnia on 09NOV so works for us to test in Trieste hotel 24 - 48 hours prior to embarkation

Thanks.  Looking for expiration into Jan/22 for O cruise.

I agree that these tests may be perfect for many people.  But for us, I found a local testing option that works much better.   

We are flying into Barcelona four days early.  I did a bit of research and found a testing site within walking distance of our hotel.  The test is with Eurofins, the company that O uses for their PCR tests and the company at many airports in Europe.  They have over 1000 testing sites in Europe.  They will have the results in 24 to 48 hours.  I booked our test about 53 hours before boarding begins and 58 hours before departure.  For $100, it is a lot less headaches.  Plus it is a saliva test so no swab up the nose and out my but*. 

This just works for me.  Less headaches and less worrying if I do it right or is it acceptable or whatever.  O uses the company so there will be no question if it is acceptable.  And if for some reason the results do not come in on time I will go there and do a rapid antigen test the day before as they have walkups.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jockocruiser said:

I previously mentioned that while the prescription was issued under my name, we were able to use  for three others as well.

And that proves it isn't a true prescription. 

Tell me, when your doctor writes a prescription for you to have blood tests at a laboratory can other family members not named on the prescription also get their blood drawn and tested because you have a prescription ?  Of course not.

Today, my doctor wrote a prescription for my wife for physical therapy . Does that mean I can also go for PT? Of course not.

The process you're going through when you buy the test kits is to identify that you need the proctored test, as opposed to the non-proctored version, which is not the same  as a prescription. 

You also commented about the press release being almost seven months old. Do you have one bit of evidence that the FDA has subsequently reversed its ruling?

Edited by njhorseman

We ordered a 2-pack of proctered tests from Optum on Saturday and they arrived Wednesday. Expiration date Sept 2021 with letter explaining the FDA has extended the date. If we hit the time window correctly one test will work for both Italy entry and 72hrs or less prior to embarkation. 

1 hour ago, libert1 said:

I agree that these tests may be perfect for many people.  But for us, I found a local testing option that works much better.   

We are flying into Barcelona four days early.  I did a bit of research and found a testing site within walking distance of our hotel.  The test is with Eurofins, the company that O uses for their PCR tests and the company at many airports in Europe.  They have over 1000 testing sites in Europe.  They will have the results in 24 to 48 hours.  I booked our test about 53 hours before boarding begins and 58 hours before departure.  For $100, it is a lot less headaches.  Plus it is a saliva test so no swab up the nose and out my but*. 

This just works for me.  Less headaches and less worrying if I do it right or is it acceptable or whatever.  O uses the company so there will be no question if it is acceptable.  And if for some reason the results do not come in on time I will go there and do a rapid antigen test the day before as they have walkups.  

This brings up something I’ve been thinking of. If results don’t come back before boarding even though you took the test within the 72 hours, do you think it matters? What if you happen to test positive at embarkation, but took a test 50 hours earlier and the results aren’t back at boarding.  It seems like if the results from that test taken 50 hours earlier come in later, but are negative, you should still be covered.  Does it say you must have those results when you show up at embarkation? 

11 hours ago, i love to fly said:

So, if you were going to arrive in Venice a couple days earlier than the 9th where would you test? They only want 72 hours before boarding! We are arriving in Venice on the 8th so will test here before going to the airport on the 7th. Test on the 6th. I was told by eric Oceania would transport people staying at the Hilton molino stucky hotel in Venice that Oceania would provide transportation from that hotel to Trieste at their expense because that is the hotel they originally recommended. Anyone else staying here before the cruise? We are going to do the private boat taxi from the Marco Polo airport to the Hilton hotel. Our flight arrives at about 2pm.

We were scheduled to stay at the Hilton for a few days prior to the cruise (great hotel, btw!).  Our TA sent us information for the free transfer to Trieste, but the pickup for the transfer is at the airport, not from the hotel….you still have to get yourself from the hotel to the airport.  Our TA said the transfer pickup times started at 11:00 and the last one is at 1:30.

In the end, my husband and I decided that because we’ve been to Venice several times, and we really don’t relish the idea of the multi-step transfer the morning of embarkation, we are just going to spend some time in and around Trieste before the cruise.

So we have a car meeting us when we land on the 5th, and we are staying at the Sovonia Excelcior Palace in Trieste, which is right across the street from the cruise port.  Also - and back to this thread’s topic - the hotel offers onsight testing so we won’t have to deal with self-tests before the cruise.

happy cruising everyone!

2 hours ago, sbsmutoni said:

We were scheduled to stay at the Hilton for a few days prior to the cruise (great hotel, btw!).  Our TA sent us information for the free transfer to Trieste, but the pickup for the transfer is at the airport, not from the hotel….you still have to get yourself from the hotel to the airport.  Our TA said the transfer pickup times started at 11:00 and the last one is at 1:30.

In the end, my husband and I decided that because we’ve been to Venice several times, and we really don’t relish the idea of the multi-step transfer the morning of embarkation, we are just going to spend some time in and around Trieste before the cruise.

So we have a car meeting us when we land on the 5th, and we are staying at the Sovonia Excelcior Palace in Trieste, which is right across the street from the cruise port.  Also - and back to this thread’s topic - the hotel offers onsight testing so we won’t have to deal with self-tests before the cruise.

happy cruising everyone!

We were booked at the Savoia but moved it to the Doubletree because their rates were better, including the transfer from Marco Polo.  Plus it's a Hilton property.  We asked them about testing and they gave us the names of a few pharmacies nearby who will test but you need appointments.

Cost is about EU 15.  

I was not aware that hotels conducted testing....

16 hours ago, libert1 said:

libert1 - Can you post a link where you booked your tests and the address of the testing facility?  Thanks.

3 hours ago, nikless said:

We were booked at the Savoia but moved it to the Doubletree because their rates were better, including the transfer from Marco Polo.  Plus it's a Hilton property.  We asked them about testing and they gave us the names of a few pharmacies nearby who will test but you need appointments.

Cost is about EU 15.  

I was not aware that hotels conducted testing....

We ( 2 couples) also are staying at the Doubletree beginning th 05NOV.....have booked several private day tours to Slovenia and Croatia..

8 minutes ago, libert1 said:

https://eurofins-megalab.com/en/products-online-store/

I chose the PCR test Self-collection through gargling, and made an appointment.

Eurofins Laboratorio Sarró, S.L.U.
Rambla De Catalunya, 120
08008 Barcelona

They say that 95% of PCR test results are delivered in 19 hours.

Many international airport labs can deliver PCR results in under 4 hours.

Also, read carefully your specific cruise line/air line/country/state requirements: some do require that the specimen must be collected at the lab (as well as analyzed there).

A perfect example is the State of Hawaii. If not fully vaccinated, your PCR test and a specific analysis process both must be done by a lab provider that is on their approved list. 

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Many international airport labs can deliver PCR results in under 4 hours.

Also, read carefully your specific cruise line/air line/country/state requirements: some do require that the specimen must be collected at the lab (as well as analyzed there).

A perfect example is the State of Hawaii. If not fully vaccinated, your PCR test and a specific analysis process both must be done by a lab provider that is on their approved list. 

We are fully vaccinated otherwise we wouldn't be going on O.  While I haven't officially checked with O, from their Sailsafe documentation it states "The PCR test onboard for cruises from Europe will be administered by Eurorfins."  So I would hope that a test from Eurofins lab would be acceptable.  I could be wrong and if I am shame on me for not calling O beforehand.

17 minutes ago, libert1 said:

We are fully vaccinated otherwise we wouldn't be going on O.  While I haven't officially checked with O, from their Sailsafe documentation it states "The PCR test onboard for cruises from Europe will be administered by Eurorfins."  So I would hope that a test from Eurofins lab would be acceptable.  I could be wrong and if I am shame on me for not calling O beforehand.

My comment wasn’t meant as much for you as for a “broader statement” reinforcing the reality that there are great variations in the rules about “who tests whom when.”

libert1 - Thank you for the Eurofins Barcelona information.  I called their Ramble de Catalonya 120 office at +34 932 18 70 91 this morning using Google Voice (1 cent per minute) and spoke with a nice english speaking person who booked our appointment.  I think we're all set now.

5 hours ago, annandme said:

libert1 - Thank you for the Eurofins Barcelona information.  I called their Ramble de Catalonya 120 office at +34 932 18 70 91 this morning using Google Voice (1 cent per minute) and spoke with a nice english speaking person who booked our appointment.  I think we're all set now.

Glad to help.  Are you on the Nov 19th sailing?  If so, see you on the ship.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:30 PM, i love to fly said:

You just need to test for the flight first, it is required by the Italian government to enter the country regardless of vaccination status. Oceania will test again before we embark on the 9th.