Which Mediterranean Cruise for younger cruisers?

cot427

Love cruising, but mostly have done the Caribbean (outside one Alaska and one Hawaii). Looking to go to the Mediterranean for the first time next summer, cost-effectively. Now the ports are the most important part, I don't have a preference on ship, which is why I have narrowed it down to Rhapsody and Vision. I have been on Enchantment and Grandeur, so I am familiar with the class and know what to expect, ship wise. From a cruise/port perspective, I just wanted to get some thoughts as to which itinerary for a younger, upper 20s something couple who enjoys cruising/traveling, exploring new places for sightseeing and culture/food/drink.

I realize a lot of the ports in Italy are further away from the actual destination (what's worth seeing). So based on this, I would expect a lot of time in a car/bus tour? Can anyone elaborate on this for this particular cruise?

June 6th, 2022 - Rhapsody - Venice (Ravenna), Italy | Cruising | Sicily (Messina), Italy | Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy | Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy | Monte Carlo (Cannes), France | Barcelona, Spain

Another option is also on Rhapsody. No Venice or Sicily but you gain a stop in France and Northern Italy. 

June 13th, 2022 - Barcelona, Spain | Cruising | Monte Carlo (Cannes), France | Nice (Villefranche), France | Genoa, Italy | Portofino, Italy | Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy | Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Finally, this third option is on Vision. It is more France/Spain focused. I am wondering if these ports are more walkable, as in walk off the ship and the port is right there or at least a shorter drive/distance to see things. Of course, this would only be ideal if these ports are worth visiting based on my interests.

June 10th, 2022 - Barcelona, Spain | Sete, France | Provence (Toulon), France | Ajaccio, Corsica | Sardinia (Cagliari), Italy | Palma de Mallorca, Spain | Cartagena, Spain | Valencia, Spain | Barcelona, Spain

Thanks for your help in advance. I realize there is a ton of research to go into this but I figured I'd get some of your thoughts before narrowing it down even further. 

Barcelona is an easy place to begin or end a cruise.  I don't know what the experience will be like sailing out of Ravenna other than it appears to be closest to Bologna for air connections.  Civitavecchia is a good way from Rome airport or the City of Rome.  The June 6th and 13th sailings will give you access to star sight museums and historical attractions by virtue of calling at Livorno and Civitavecchia.

I would recommend the June 13th sailing because it gives you the opportunity to extend at both ends in Barcelona and Rome.  This offers a nice combination of incredible historical sites and soak-it-in beautiful port towns. 

Even though you may book guided land tours it may be helpful to pick-up a copy of Rick Steves guide book on Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  The book does a good job of describing the logistics of getting from the port to where the actual things are that you want to see.  This may help you maximize your time in each location.

Best wishes on your ultimate selection.

• Like 1

Just now, cruisequeen4ever said:

The 6th gives you Venice, which is simply magical, but then the 13th would give you France, which is lovely. 

RCI no longer sails from Venice and Ravenna being called Venice is like calling LeHavre Paris.

I would take the Rhapsody.

You will hit the "Big 3":  Venice, Rome, and Florence.  Plan carefully regarding transportation to maximize your time in all three ports, since you have to allow for commute time roundtrip. 

Rome, I would suggest the Express Train and Rome on your own tour from the ship.  No traffic, and your in Rome in 40 minutes.  Pick what you want to see. 

If it's the Vatican and Sistine Chapel, get a taxi from the train station and go to the Museum entrance.  The museum could take you hours.  I suggest printing a map of it and a path to the entrance to the Sistine chapel.  That's where I'd spend my time.  Going out you are right next to St. Peter's Basilica:  it's gorgeous and has Michelangelo's Pieta.

Alternate is the Colosseum and the Capotiline museums.

I do NOT recommend the hop on/off bus:  you'll get stuck in traffic.  

Florence, same thing.  Pick transportation that gets you there quickly.  Avoid big buses, as you are constantly waiting for the stragglers.

Venice:  yes, it's less convenient than docking in the city.  It's worth the effort, and they are starting to close it off more and more to tourists. I will assume whatever transpo you take drops you in Piazza Roma.  Buy a 1 day pass, and take the #1 vapretto all the way up the Grand Canal, and back if you have the time.  This way you see both sides.  Then, stay on and pick your getting off spots. Venice is visual, and wandering around the maze of streets on the San Marco side is a pleasure (they have little signs all over pointing to San Marco Piazza).

Messina is one of my favorite ports, and Taormina is incredible.  Short drive from the port. 

Edited by pcur

Door #2....However anyway to do a Med/Greece...We did this on Vision May 2019 and the ports were amazing...I would do this again for sure.

Barcelona, Cannes, Florence(Pisa), Rome, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Malta(my favorite).

• Like 2

I would also go with the second Rhapsody. Venice for the first cruise is a bit misleading as Ravenna is quite far from it. If they want to see Venice they should stay there for a couple of days prior to the cruise and that could be done with either one. The second cruise has a nice mix of major cities/sights (Barcelona, Florence, Rome) and more relaxing/beachy destinations.

The third cruise I would take if they are more interested in Spain and/or prefer beach time to sightseeing.

You can't go wrong with any of them, but I think the one that starts in Barcelona and ends in Rome would be a good first trip. I would plan at least one extra day in Barcelona before the cruise sails and one extra day in Rome at the end. Going to Rome in the middle of a cruise does waste a bunch on time on transportation and makes for a very long day. Plus you don't get that experience of wandering the city at night and stopping at a cafe for a glass of wine and dinner. I love'd that about Rome and Barcelona. Rome is about an hour away from the port - which makes for at a minimum 2 hours getting there and back. Canne is right at the port as is Villefrance, Genoa and Portofino. That means you only have to travel to Florence. Villefrance is lovely and it was easy to get to Nice and Eze. Canne is pretty cool to see the French Riveria.  I have not been to Genoa.  

• June 13th, 2022 - Barcelona, Spain | Cruising | Monte Carlo (Cannes), France | Nice (Villefranche), France | Genoa, Italy | Portofino, Italy | Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy | Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Then you just have to go back and do a Med cruise that starts in Venice (Ravenna) and hits up Dubrovik and Athens. 

Edited by TSC
  • Like 3

We did this on Vision in May, 2015 & loved it.  Hooked up on our Roll Call with a great group some in their 40's and some in their 70's (like us) for all private excursions.  Here is my review:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=508439

I would choose the cruise by itinerary.  We did round trip Barcelona with stops in Nice, Florence, Rome, Kusadasi, Athens.   It was our first time on Vision and the food was horrible.  However, 2 years later we took Vision to the Baltic and the food was very much improved and we enjoyed it.

I'd do the June 13 cruise.

Barcelona is a great city to enjoy as a young couple...fly in a few days early.

Genoa and Cannes you'll dock right in towns worth seeing or you can take an easy train ride from Cannes to another city if you prefer   And Villa France is stunning and the nicest possible port in the area.... absolutely a mistake to go to Nice, etc...stay right in the little port town and enjoy the scenery.

If you're young and active taking the train and hiking Cinque Terre is a great option from La Spezia.

This is also an itenerary and ship likely to have a high percentage of Italian and Spanish passengers.  In our experience that translates to lots of outdoor dance parties which are well attended and a nightclub with good attendance and a younger crowd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I'd do the June 13 cruise.

Barcelona is a great city to enjoy as a young couple...fly in a few days early.

Genoa and Cannes you'll dock right in towns worth seeing or you can take an easy train ride from Cannes to another city if you prefer   And Villa France is stunning and the nicest possible port in the area.... absolutely a mistake to go to Nice, etc...stay right in the little port town and enjoy the scenery.

If you're young and active taking the train and hiking Cinque Terre is a great option from La Spezia.

This is also an itenerary and ship likely to have a high percentage of Italian and Spanish passengers.  In our experience that translates to lots of outdoor dance parties which are well attended and a nightclub with good attendance and a younger crowd.

Villefranche is a great port. If they are active I would highly recommend going down to Cap Ferrat for part of the day (very short bus ride). They could either tour Villa Ephrussi or hike around the Cap. Beautiful scenery and a great day out!

• Like 1

I’m booked on Rhapsody for the 11th July 2022 with the identical itinerary as the 13th June.  I selected this cruise because of the start & finish in two fantastic cities where I can spend more time exploring.
I did a Vision cruise round trip from Barcelona in 2019 for 12 nights & it was fantastic.  Cannes, Livorno, Rome, Athens, Mykonos, Chania & Valletta. 

I would chose Rhapsody on June 13 in your age and interest group .

For Barcelona, Florence and Rome we hired a private driver . It was worth every penny as we really packed a lot into the day , did it our way with lots of suggestions from the guides and did not have to deal with any other passengers. Lots of laughing, learning, some drinking and eating- full days that I will never forget.

Have an amazing trip no matter what you pick .

Again, I want to warn about using a car or bus for transportation in Rome.  There are several sites, like the Trevi fountain, where vehicles are not allowed.  Yes, a private car is wonderful (our first trip to Rome we had one), but being in Florence, Rome, and Venice in high season there are CROWDS!!  My trip in 2017 in April the buses were not a good idea due to traffic.  Florence and Venice are walking places, too. 

I forgot to mention to buy tickets in advance to places you want to see, ESPECIALLY the Vatican.  You just walk up to the guard on the steps and show him your ticket.  The line for tickets can be blocks long.

Taking the express train to Rome from Civitavecchia is less that 1.5 hours roundtrip. 

Thanks everyone for the valued information, I really appreciate it. I am leaning towards the June 13th on Rhapsody, that way we get added time in Barcelona and Rome at the beginning and end. And the rest of the ports, besides Pisa/Florence are walkable/short bus rides. 

I did just see Wonder is taking over for Allure. One of the reasons I didn't pick Allure in addition to the higher price point was I want this trip to be about the ports and not the ship. More savings on the cruise fare can be passed along to more experiences and excursions on land. 

I did order the Rick Steves Med Cruise Port book - it's coming today!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cot427 said:

Download Rick Steves Audio Europe App… the general information & walking tours are sensational.  We do walking tours in every major city with Rick’s App.  Guaranteed you’ll love them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 12:30 PM, cot427 said:

Thanks everyone for the valued information, I really appreciate it. I am leaning towards the June 13th on Rhapsody, that way we get added time in Barcelona and Rome at the beginning and end. And the rest of the ports, besides Pisa/Florence are walkable/short bus rides. 

I did just see Wonder is taking over for Allure. One of the reasons I didn't pick Allure in addition to the higher price point was I want this trip to be about the ports and not the ship. More savings on the cruise fare can be passed along to more experiences and excursions on land. 

Agree 100% on your choices. We booked Allure for the transatlantic and were switched over to Wonder (at same great price), but we will be on Rhapsody for our cruising through the Med, because by then for us, it will be all about the ports. Cruised Europe on the smaller Celebrity Century years ago, and the ship is truly just a place to rest your head after busy port days. Enjoy the adventures!