Feb 2022 Tahiti Cruises

Empehi

Thinking of booking one of these cruises but have a few concern (2022 Tahiti in Feb):

1. COVID testing prior to flight from US to Tahiti ... if you use O flights you are at the mercy of the flights O books and will not really know when you are going 

until just before departure. Makes planning the COVID test problematic. Does anyone have any opinions on what the flights would be?

2. Mask wearing for what could be close to 24 hours if the flights are such. Does anyone have any concerns as such that would keep them from taking this cruise?

3. I'm hearing that Tahiti may be restricting cruising in the foreseeable future.  Any thoughts on this especially tours that must be so called 'bubble tours" from the cruise line?

Any other thoughts or observations would be greatly appreciated.

e

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

Thinking of booking one of these cruises but have a few concern (2022 Tahiti in Feb):

1. COVID testing prior to flight from US to Tahiti ... if you use O flights you are at the mercy of the flights O books and will not really know when you are going 

until just before departure. Makes planning the COVID test problematic. Does anyone have any opinions on what the flights would be?

2. Mask wearing for what could be close to 24 hours if the flights are such. Does anyone have any concerns as such that would keep them from taking this cruise?

3. I'm hearing that Tahiti may be restricting cruising in the foreseeable future.  Any thoughts on this especially tours that must be so called 'bubble tours" from the cruise line?

e

O’s basic air is designed to arrive on day of embarkation. Pay the deviation fee or DIY (with the air credit) and fly when you want. For the 3-4 day pre-embarkation day “recommended” negative Covid test (which actually is required if you want O to pay expenses related to Covid contracted onboard).

No flight to Tahiti is 24 hours. Depending on where you’re coming from, consider a layover city (like SF if you’re coming from the US East Coast) where you could get tested enroute (SFO has multiple labs).

As for Tahiti Covid restrictions, let’s hope they’re strict (for their sake). Living with “bubble” touring is not that big a deal. 

3 hours ago, Empehi said:

until just before departure. 

1. Pay the deviation fee and you will be able to select (within reason) your flights. You will know in advance what your flights will be (pre Covid, that is). THESE DAYS you are at the mercy of the airlines’ constantly changing schedules, but this is not something within O’s control, and therefore we should not blame O.
Best practice is to fly in at least the day before the cruise departs, hence you’ll pay the deviation fee and will know (or will think you know) your flight schedule. Again, flight changes are not in O’s control.

2. I’ve recently (in last 5 weeks) flown RT to Europe and to Mexico (Delta & United). Yes, you will have to wear the face mask at all times you are not actively eating/drinking. Instructions are to replace your mask in between bites and sips. Even while sleeping. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

On the air, pay the fee or book your own air.

A word to the wise. We flew in four days early and stayed in Moorea. Wonderful time. With everything so iffy right now with air travel, I’d recommend flying on a carrier, and an itinerary, that goes to your destination everyday, not every other, or every third day. 

We flew into Papeete on UA from SF. Great flight and wonderful connections for us. If booking today, since that flight only goes every three days, I’d book the daily flight through LAX. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Empehi said:

e

We have a March 2022 Tahiti cruise booked. We're flying UA, SFO to Papeete and arriving 2 days before the cruise. I see that you're in Chicago. We'll be flying Chicago to SFO the day before we depart for Papeete. Two reasons for that:  United's flight to Papeete departs at noon and we wouldn't be able to get there from Chicago in time on the same day. We're also planning on doing the Covid testing at SFO when we arrive.  SFO-PPT is 8 hours and ORD-SFO is 4-5 hours so breaking it up into 2 days doesn't make mask-wearing a huge burden.

I don't know what airline O would choose if you book through them but I agree that you should pay the deviation fee in order to arrive early.  For us, United is really the only option because we're using miles for business class seats which is saving thousands of dollars.

I haven't heard anything about shore excursion restrictions but if it's restricted to only ship's tours, I'm fine with that. 

Enjoy your cruise!

On 9/15/2021 at 3:03 PM, avalong said:

Not to mention the humidity at that time of year....

We were there in Feb. a few years ago and the weather was great.  Guess you just have to get lucky.  Would go back if Vista was going.

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2021 at 3:11 PM, RJB said:

We were there in Feb. a few years ago and the weather was great.  Guess you just have to get lucky.  Would go back if Vista was going.

We went in February, 2019 and also had great weather. I read a lot of posts beforehand about it being rainy season and seriously considered cancelling but O doesn’t sail there except at that time of year so decided to stick with it and was very happy I did! 

If you are concerned about mask wearing in Tahiti, find out from Oceania whether or not you will have to wear a mask on the ship. On Windstar cruises that are sailing in Tahiti right now, masks are required onboard the ship indoors and only ship excursions are allowed. These restrictions may or may not concern you.