The Daily for Thursday September 16, 2021

richwmn

Today is American Legion Day, Collect Rocks Day, and Step Family Day

"While there's life, there's hope. - Marcus Tullius Cicero"

Meal suggestion for today - Whitebait Fritters

Drink of the Day - Negroni

Wine of the day - Trimbach 2017 Sélection de Vieilles Vignes Riesling (Alsace) Alsace

Destination of the Day - Cairns Australia

Ships with Passengers

Kefalonia Island, Argostoli-Fi
Eurodam 12:00 - 21:00

Ketchikan, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 9/19

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Freeport BS
Nieuw Statendam

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage
Rotterdam Anchorage

0916Alaska.thumb.png.0954fbd3d1562b94f3953b185b2c92e4.png

0916NAmerica.thumb.png.0fcd38e1e9a0a706eb5dff1ec64de2d9.png

0916Europe.thumb.png.98fb14bc82d039b9b6656129eee8d82b.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A salute to the Legion (I'll include the Canadian Legion too).  I have an interesting collection of rocks, I dig them up when I'm planting my garden.😉   Step families are great.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds interesting.  The drink of the day and wine sound good to me too.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Thursday.  Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the Thursday (getaway day for me) Daily, Rich.  A salute to the American Legion.  It's great that Step Families have their own day.  I've never collected rocks.  I like the Cicero quote and this weekend will be staying at the town named for him in New York.  No idea what the meal is; will see what @kazu has to say.  I've been to Cairns on a land trip but not by sea.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
kplady recovering in hospital
Lady Hudson’s BIL awaiting rehab
Those with new cruise cancellations
Seasick Sailor fighting ecoli
Bruno (Atexsix) in hospital
Sam recovering from small stroke hospitalized until medication levels adjusted
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Occasional contributors including Arzz
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
Getaway for segarsmoker
lindaler visiting Alabama son
new photo of Camila
Irishjim back home recovering
SusieKislandGirl in Colorado with grandsons
Bon Voyage and safe travels Icand9223
my negative test and coming high school reunion
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

In a few days I will be transitioning back to HAL related alternate menu selections.  My final dinner on the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage came from the "Crystal Classics" section of the menu:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/menu0916.pdf

My alternate menu selection is Chicken Broth with Matzoa Ball, Grilled Black Angus Sirloin Steak Mashed Potato, Sauteed Green Beans, and Rum Raisin Ice Cream.  Here's the steak:

finalsirloin.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I love today’s quote because it’s especially meaningful to me right now.

Sam will be leaving the hospital this morning if everything goes right and heading to rehab.

I’m heading to the podiatrist tomorrow and expecting to need him to numb my toe to remove the deep ingrown toenail. That shot is extremely painful and I’m not looking forward to it.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Interesting days to celebrate.  I give my read books to our local Legion.  I am part of a step family.  I totally agree with the Cicero quote.  Always hope.  Not sure about the meal, will wait for Kazu's recipe.  Have not been to Australia, can't wait to see the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wearing your mask.

Negroni:

The Negroni is a popular Italian cocktail, made of one part gin, one part vermouth rosso, and one part Campari, garnished with orange peel. It is considered an apéritif. A traditionally made Negroni is stirred, not shaken, and built over ice in an old-fashioned or rocks glass and garnished with a slice of orange. Wikipedia

Ingredients:
1 oz (1 part) Campari,
1 oz (1 part) Gin,
1 oz (1 part) Sweet red Vermouth
Preparation: Stir into glass over ice, garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks
Standard garnish: Orange peel
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 7.32.21 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will toast the Legion tonight. Step families play such an important role. 

Roy safe travels & enjoy your reunion. Thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyite family. Last night’s launch was spectacular. 
Off to the gym and then PT homework. My knee is improving a bit each day. If a seat is at least 22 inches off the floor, I can now stand up on my own - without using my arms! I still have a few weeks of PT, so hoping I will be fully functional by then. 

Looking forward to today’s recipe. I will definitely pass on the drink. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Trimbach 2017 Sélection de Vieilles Vignes Riesling (Alsace)

This Riesling sounds amazing. The reviewer got me at “bone dry”. Several online distributors with prices starting at $32.99.

WE96

#2 on Wine Enthusiast’s top 100

Initial smoky notes of reduction make way for a pervasive, subtle but luminous lemon freshness on the nose of this wine. The palate shows exquisite concentration in lemon freshness. It's bone dry, vivid and fresh. Drink until 2045.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning  everyone. I celebrate all the days,especially  step families.I have  gained children and an extended  family by being a step parent.I am so grateful for them.

I love the quote and will wait and see on the recipe.I am once again making a large pot of vegetarian chili for the tribe.It creates a wonderful  smell in the house.  @kazu,I made the arroz con Pollo yesterday for the carnivores  and it was a smash hit.Thanks so much. How is DH?

@cat shepard,I am amazed with your recovery and diligence. That particular exercise is one we should all do to improve lower extremity strength. 

Terry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

What a great collection of days.  A big salute to the Legion - American and Canadian 😉. DH loves to collect rocks from different places when we travel.  Strange, but true.  I’ll happily celebrate Step Family Day since I am a Step Mother (not an evil one though 😉)

Love the Cicero quote - so true!

Whitebait Fritters - today’s meal suggestion had me intrigued and getting educated.  Even though I have been to New Zealand, I did not encounter this delicacy.

So many different versions out there.  This recipe is very popular in New Zealand and I believe hails from there  so here is one recipe from their newspaper. No ratings though. - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/eatwell/recipes/whitebait-fritters/T6TWWYVTPWFNDOZAQMMIS7EDZA/

00F8DF7B-106F-4E6C-8FA0-0F2F8E0A480B.thumb.jpeg.d2b019bde65b78b2eb10872c4738db08.jpeg

A bit of an explanation:  Whitebait is not available everywhere, sadly.  It does not refer to a single species of fish but used in many countries to describe small freshwater fish that are tender and edible.They are the small silvery-white young of herrings, sprats, and similar marine fish, eaten whole as food in many places. 

In New Zealand it describes the juvenile forms (around 4–5 centimetres long) of five species of the fish family Galaxiidae.

Here is another version of the recipe which might also appeal to some - https://eggs.org.nz/recipes/whitebait-fritters/

D10192EE-5840-4C3C-BE46-34C12618CFBF.thumb.png.e020215a3df2e5d543894cff02e4fd82.png

@cat shepardthat Riesling sounds really good.  Especially with the bone dry 👍 

CEBBA0EA-32D7-4321-821F-9E7210D46ABA.thumb.jpeg.718eecf0f8f698716b1ee232f07a76b6.jpeg

@Vict0riann@ger_77 am I correct in my assumption that I should take you off the Future Cruise Listing for the Transatlantic sailing this Fall?

My best friend’s husband is improving quite a bit.  He sees the surgeon on Monday and I am very hopeful the thing on his head will be removed and all the machines at their house no longer required 🙏🏻

Prayers for everyone the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!!

8AD5E6CA-1E03-48ED-9D70-6FB72AD0450B.jpeg.ca372109ef4155489447bb681749f97c.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from a very warm and sunny day at the beach

A salute to the Legion. I have a few small rocks that I have picked up on the beach

Have not been to Cairns but it is on our scheduled circumnavigation in 2022.  We are so looking forward to that trip but not sure it will go. Makes it very difficult to plan.

The Spacex rocket launch was spectacular.  I have seen many many launches but it never fails to amaze me! 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 23

12 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu,I made the arroz con Pollo yesterday for the carnivores  and it was a smash hit.Thanks so much. How is DH

So glad it was a hit for you 👍. I suspect DH is still in pain but I will see how he is when he wakes up.  He’s been asleep for over 12 hours.  Not sure if that’s a good sign or not 🤔 

@rafinmdthank you for finding and posting mamaofami’s update from yesterday 👍 

@cat shepardgood work on your PT.  Progress takes time and it sounds like you are doing a great job on your PT and progress 👍  And what great shots of the launch 🙂 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I love today’s quote because it’s especially meaningful to me right now.

Sam will be leaving the hospital this morning if everything goes right and heading to rehab.

I’m heading to the podiatrist tomorrow and expecting to need him to numb my toe to remove the deep ingrown toenail. That shot is extremely painful and I’m not looking forward to it.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

If it is any consolation, I recently had this done and they now have a topical anestetic(sp) they spray on first, so when that needle goes in you don't feel a thing!

• Like 3

Good morning!  Wow, so much going on here on CC.  I was surprised and dismayed to see @atexsixhas been ill and hospitalized after his cruise.  I do hope all will turn out well for him, and hope there is someone available to look after his DDad.  Also @mamaofamiI look forward to hearing your Sam is home shortly from his hospital visit.  Good luck with the podiatrist today!  I know none of us would look forward to that, but hopefully they can numb the area well.  Just don't watch!  @cat shepardI'm happy to hear your PT is going well and you are getting stronger every day.  Great job!  @kazu fingers crossed DH Jose is feeling lots better today.  Thanks for today's menu item.  It doesn't look bad but if it has a "fishy" taste I don't like it.  Yep, I'm what some would call a picky eater.  @Seasick Sailorso sorry to hear about the e coli infection.  I do hope this latest antibiotic does the trick.  E coli is so dangerous!  Take care!  If I've forgotten anyone I'll be back later.  Prayers for all on the Care list.  Praise for all on the Celebration list.  

We were able to visit Cairns on October 29, 2017 on Sun Princess.  We enjoyed a walk around town, then I went on a tour of Kuranda, a picturesque village in the rainforest followed by a train ride through the Barron Gorge National Park.  Pictures coming up next!

• Like 24

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for today's menu item.  It doesn't look bad but if it has a "fishy" taste I don't like it.  Yep, I'm what some would call a picky eater. 

The whitebait is not a heavy tasting fish - very light.  I don’t think you would have a “fishy” taste with it if you have it available.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Arriving on the Sun Princess.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLfeVS2MrsUAaoXy5BAdJJn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513562715

A sunny day of course!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI1QxoLceB7cqg2PLW8xO-V?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513562716

A few photos around town.  It was pretty warm there for sure.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhBWbSwHyrdF3WwUwsSsV4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513562778

We walked through a farmer's market area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL8ol02Wa09P2vADIzDx2wz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513615889

I won't show the dozen photos of lovely fruits and veggies.  Next we walked by an arena.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAegaqPk7VluwhJqAa9lZA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513562801

DH continued the walk while I left on my Kuranda and Barron Gorge tour.  Here is a local pool.  Very nice facilities.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMR0yCsP3ZGtPqetZh_gqr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513615920

Then he walked on the Esplanade past the small boat marina to the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJr7xs0xo_P45_3AvD70Wv7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513615961

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJA-ifzNl9lMGdalKvE2x9X?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513615981

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIHQleCzGQ8qBDjhcxRLvjx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513615986

Meanwhile I arrived by bus tour at Kuranda, the rainforest village.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ68dtsS-M0QtRvDZVXJdqO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513563130

There you could go through the butterfly sanctuary...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKC7eypSeGFbTK_savvKDQ0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513563141

or Birdworld... 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKnVOq4W_g4Pjrg9hz6tz4Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513563157

or go shopping...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgE4roEcYSosP9w--J7tjA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513563163

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8-V8GCXYakH5VkwTO1az0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513563169

I'm not sure what you use the alligator heads for...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLF3gY9V6pfflOFDAqKJGJD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513563169

I ran into CC friends Eileen and Clive who ran their own tour company.  They were guiding a group that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVISY7JSvJRUNu55X_QhodtW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513563186

In case you've ever wondered how to spell didjeridu... 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJEwQ-JckJe3uO-_24vEFNa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513563200

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIq-13kLa4OqOYYP_ih-zDE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513563208

I'll continue next post with the train ride through Barron Gorge National Park.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A salute to the Legion, both American and Canadian.  I've never been one to collect rocks, although we've seen some pretty strange ones during our travels (too heavy for the suitcases), and I became a step-parent  to an 11 and 13 year old at the ripe old age of 22.   It's been an interesting ride, to say the least!

@Seasick SailorI certainly hope the antibiotics kick in for you . . . that's awful!

@rafinmd safe travels, have a great reunion!

I'm sorry to learn that Bruno @atexsixhas been hospitalized; sending good vibes and healing wishes his way.

Yesterday was a real downer for us - we were among the many Canadians who had their cruise dreams destroyed yet again.  It was particularly galling, because this is the 7th change / switch / cancellation / uncancellation since we booked it 2 years ago.  We were 40 days away from leaving for Spain, I had the countdown on the whiteboard on our fridge with a huge happy face inside the 0 to mark the day.   Sigh.   

Both of us were feeling down about the day's events, so instead of having the bbq leftovers, we went out for dinner and drinks.  DH had Hunter Chicken - which was remarkably like the Jaeger chicken recipe from the other day, while I had their famous kettle chip battered fish and chips.  Delicious on both plates, along with a strawberry margarita or two.  Or three.   Of course, neither of us wanted to drink and drive, so we called an Uber both ways so we could just relax and enjoy ourselves.  The meal portions were hugs, so guess what we're having for dinner tonight?  Leftovers!  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses tonight to Cheers all on the celebration list.  Stay well, wash your hands, wear your mask, hydrate, and be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25