Holiday Cruises - Why are they cheap?

ETHTrader

My wife and I usually spend our Christmas week in London. We enjoy the holiday market, milder weather (compared to NYC), holiday activities, etc and it's something we do each year. However, due to COVID and constantly changing travel requirements, we are looking at alternative plans and noticed that cruises in December (around christmas) are ridiculously cheap.

What are some of the reasons for such discounted fare? Is it because normally these ships are empty due to the Christmas holiday? Any other disadvantages?

Cruises in December are always ridiculously cheap--until Dec 25th. Check again: usually any cruise that involves being aboard on the 25th will be significantly higher priced, and stay that way until after Jan 1. If you disembark on the 24th, you're fine. The word "holiday" in the cruise name will be the key.

Notice there's a 11-night cruise to the ABCs that leaves on Dec. 13 for $711.The very same same itinerary on Dec. 24th is $2015!

The cruises in Dec are cheap because

1. Everyone already traveled for Thanksgiving or will do so for Xmas.

2. Kids are still in school--and universities are in exams--until the 3rd week of Dec. 

But for us, this is the perfect time to cruise in warm waters because it's past hurricane season and not yet the "high" season which extends until March...Plus low prices and less crowded. What's not to love?

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ETHTrader said:

My wife and I usually spend our Christmas week in London. We enjoy the holiday market, milder weather (compared to NYC), holiday activities, etc and it's something we do each year. However, due to COVID and constantly changing travel requirements, we are looking at alternative plans and noticed that cruises in December (around christmas) are ridiculously cheap.

What are some of the reasons for such discounted fare? Is it because normally these ships are empty due to the Christmas holiday? Any other disadvantages?

Assuming this is for Celebrity and if so, what ships do you see the cheap fares on?  Thx

The cruises are cheap because people like certain plans when they have limited time available and this is a time of great uncertainty.   That is, if you are planning a trip by car around the holidays you can rely on using your car to go somewhere and will be able to figure out alternatives even if some places are off limits.   If you are planning a cruise and it gets cancelled you have no plans.   Also, if you can't go ashore, or know that ports may change due to land-based restrictions which may change while you are on board, this may not be the best time for a family vacation.    That much said, if you are flexibile and can take advantage of the lower fares, now is the time to seize the opportunity.

We went on a less crowded ship this summer, one that was very nice but apparently can feel overcrowded when fully booked, and had a great time.   If that sounds good to you, why not go for it?

It's due to the overall hesitancy to travel, especially over the holidays. Cruises, even Celebrity, have much higher normal numbers of kids onboard during/near Christmas and New Years. With many of the restrictions in place now targeting kids whether it be vaccinations, onboard restrictions, port and excursion limitations etc. people are not booking in the numbers they have done in years past. 

Almost all of the Caribbean cruises that sail on Christmas or New Year days are priced pretty much the same as non-holiday weeks. That very rarely happens. 

• Like 1

Don't know how many people from Europe and the UK normally book holiday cruises, but since Celebrity is sailing only from FL this Christmas, practically nobody from EU or UK  will be able to take part of these sailings with the travel ban still in place. Bookings may increase (and thus the price) once that ban is lifted. I, for one, would love to book a holiday cruise out of FLL, but I am not taking my chances at this moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Almost all of the Caribbean cruises that sail on Christmas or New Year days are priced pretty much the same as non-holiday weeks. That very rarely happens. 

I guess it depends on ship/itinerary, but the an S2 on the Edge on December 12, 2021 is about $5300 for 2. On the next sailing on December 19th, its $9300. 

• Like 1

That has been our experience in the past as well.  The PRE-holiday cruise could be had for a great deal less than the actual 'Christmas Cruise'.  We've departed ship a couple of times just prior to Christmas, and the crew are always very sad to see us go.  They know what's coming at them!  But again, you have to wonder how that will work this year.  Will X limit the number of <12?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, canderson said:

That has been our experience in the past as well.  The PRE-holiday cruise could be had for a great deal less than the actual 'Christmas Cruise'.  We've departed ship a couple of times just prior to Christmas, and the crew are always very sad to see us go.  They know what's coming at them!  But again, you have to wonder how that will work this year.  Will X limit the number of <12?

Once the vaccines are approved for 12 and under I would assume that Celebrity would require the vaccine for the age groups approved.  I think that will happen in the next month or two.  With ages 5 - 11 being approved that will leave children 4 or younger.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1