Live feed from the Grand Princess 9/25 and 9/30 cruises

Cruise Raider

Sip & Cover.... What ??

Even pre-vaccine, at the worst of it, through out the country once you were seated in lounge you could take you mask off... As far as I know at this point the only occasion where sip & cover is asked and enforced is on a airplane flying, or public transportation.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this earlier in the thread, this certainly isn't the policy on the Alaska cruises or other cruise lines. This is contrary to the protocols Princess has posted on their web-site before we booked. 

I hope the cruising public hears more about this, maybe cancellations will awaken HQ that there's line where customers won't cross, specially when when they're told something different when booking or seeing on other lines

• Like 4

5 hours ago, memoak said:

This is the first I have heard about sip and cover in bars.  If so why isn't the same rule in place for restaurants ?  As far as I have heard once you are at your table no reason to mask

Exactly.    On the Majestic we didn’t have to sip and cover.   The 

I had a wonderful time on the majestic and masking was appropriate but if I had had to sip and cover, I would not have been a happy camper especially since that is not the policy in the dining rooms, where I was seated with strangers elbow to elbow every night, unlike at explorers are crooners where you’re spaced out or distance from others   

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and if this is the policy going forward I will be canceling my future cruises     

Not sure if management on the various ships is interpreting the rules differently but I find it to be unsanitary to sip and cover.  Frankly, that’s one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard and I thought it was stupid on the airplane l  fairness, not everybody on a plane is vaccinated  but because it was only a one hour ride I could tolerate that but not for the duration of a cruise  where everybody is vaccinated and everybody has tested negative, this is overreach 

• Like 4

My DH and I just got our Covid tests. So we are all set to embark on 9/30!! So excited!! We haven’t had a cruise in 2 years!!! It’s a short one but looking forward to get back on a ship!! 
Please keep the info coming… Thanks for starting this thread!! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 4cats4me said:

I had a wonderful time on the majestic and masking was appropriate but if I had had to sip and cover, I would not have been a happy camper especially since that is not the policy in the dining rooms, where I was seated with strangers elbow to elbow every night, unlike at explorers are crooners where you’re spaced out or distance from others   

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and if this is the policy going forward I will be canceling my future cruises     

Not sure if management on the various ships is interpreting the rules differently but I find it to be unsanitary to sip and cover.  Frankly, that’s one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard and I thought it was stupid on the airplane l  fairness, not everybody on a plane is vaccinated  but because it was only a one hour ride I could tolerate that but not for the duration of a cruise  where everybody is vaccinated and everybody has tested negative, this is overreach 

Princess =  Consistently Inconsistent

• Like 2

+ 1

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The masking rule for the lounges and bars is sip and cover …although I had not realized that until last night.  I happen to be sitting in Crooners with a Bloody Caesar (it’s delicious, BTW) and only a couple of people are masked.  But, the way the furniture is situated, people are definitely distanced from one another … it’s a little over half full.  

@Cruise Raider- I was on the Majestic in August and will shortly be on the Grand. I can't wait! I'm genuinely curious and seeking clarification. Why do you believe the masking rule for lounges and bars is sip and cover? Are there signs, did you hear it from a crew member? If only a couple of people are masked at Crooners, I can't tell why you believe that to be the case?

The onboard masking requirements have not changed on the Princess website from what they were for our Alaska sailings. There were no Mask Required signs at the bars or bar lounges on the Majestic. Has that changed on the Grand? Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, redrobin said:

@Cruise Raider- I was on the Majestic in August and will shortly be on the Grand. I can't wait! I'm genuinely curious and seeking clarification. Why do you believe the masking rule for lounges and bars is sip and cover? Are there signs, did you hear it from a crew member? If only a couple of people are masked at Crooners, I can't tell why you believe that to be the case?

The onboard masking requirements have not changed on the Princess website from what they were for our Alaska sailings. There were no Mask Required signs at the bars or bar lounges on the Majestic. Has that changed on the Grand? Thanks!

There are signs in  Vista and Explorer's lounge, and at trivias today in Explorer's,  the staff member mentioned it.  Just my observation, but it seems those less likely to be seen wearing a mask are the "younger" passengers (20s to 40s).  I've observed no enforcement of the policy though.  Just my observations.  We are cool with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

How is the food in the main dining room? When we were last on the Grand, we felt it was the most delicious dining room food we’d ever had onboard a Princess ship, (until the Majestic last month ) 

The service onboard Grand was the best! There is something special about

that ship.  

Hope everyone is having a wonderful time.   

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

How is the food in the main dining room? When we were last on the Grand, we felt it was the most delicious dining room food we’d ever had onboard a Princess ship, (until the Majestic last month ) 

that ship.  

Heres some more info for you.

most people are r following the recommendations of masking, including us.  Im sitting in the wheelhouse bar having a good time, with others doing the same, but apparently i am a thread hijacker

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Heres some more info for you.

most people are r following the recommendations of masking, including us.  Im sitting in the wheelhouse bar having a good time, with others doing the same, but apparently i am a thread hijacker

So, how is the food onboard? 

How are the sea conditions? 

What is the drink of the day? 

Who is the Capitain? 

What is the TRUE number of passengers onboard? Inquiring minds want to know ? 

Are there barrel chairs in the staterooms?

Are there awnings on the mini suites on Dolphin Deck yet?

Does my favorite suite, D727 have 2 or 4 chairs on the balcony these days? 

Does the ship still leak everywhere, as it did, when we were onboard? 

Have you seen any whales? 

Have you seen any Dolphins? 

Does the Wheelhouse still have the same portraits adorning the walls? 

How steep was the ramp when you  boarded?  

Are there oranges at the buffet? 

Can one get triple shots of booze in a cocktail but have it count as just one drink while on the drink package? 

Has the coffe improved at the buffet? 

How is Club Class? 

Do you prefer Michaelangelo or D Vinci dining Room? 

Is Good Spirits Bar on the Grand? 

Does the logo shop have hats with just Princess logos or do they have Royal Caribbean merchandise as well? 

Thanks in advance for your time,  AnyMajorCruiseDude! 😀 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, redrobin said:

Yes, there are signs and the cruise director has made a couple of announcements saying the same thing regarding the theater and lounges … sip and cover if you have a drink.  If no drink, then masking is required.  
I do see the Grand taking the rules more seriously than what we saw on the Majestic, however, that was before the mask mandates.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, 4cats4me said:

So, how is the food onboard? 
the food has all been pretty good, I’d say some was excellent.  

How are the sea conditions? 
the sea has been pretty calm but now, we are headed north and it’s a bit choppy as to be expected, not only for going north in the Pacific but we are also in the very aft of the ship. 

What is the drink of the day? 
I don’t know 

Who is the Capitain? 
someone mentioned this earlier in this thread … I would massacre the spelling if I tried 

What is the TRUE number of passengers onboard? Inquiring minds

want to know ? 

I believe it is 1017 

Are there barrel chairs in the staterooms?

No, not in the balcony cabins anyway 

Are there awnings on the mini suites on Dolphin Deck yet?

No, we are right above the dolphin deck and we can see straight down on their balconies from the caribe deck. 

Does my favorite suite, D727 have 2 or 4 chairs on the balcony these days? 
I don’t know 

Does the ship still leak everywhere, as it did, when we were onboard? 
it does have its leaks .. we noticed one today in the Explorers Lounge 

Have you seen any whales? 
we have not 

Have you seen any Dolphins? 
yes, we have 

Does the Wheelhouse still have the same portraits adorning the walls? 
?? 

How steep was the ramp when you  boarded?  
not steep at all ..just a very slight incline 

Are there oranges at the buffet? 
I don’t know 

Can one get triple shots of booze in a cocktail but have it count as just one drink while on the drink package? 
you will most likely get charged for anything over the limit if you get it at one time 

Has the coffe improved at the buffet? 
we haven’t had coffee from the buffet … it is excellent at the IC.

How is Club Class? 
not sure 

Do you prefer Michaelangelo or D Vinci dining Room? 
the Michelangelo is currently closed to passengers 

Is Good Spirits Bar on the Grand? 
yes, it is adjacent to the IC on deck 5 

Does the logo shop have hats with just Princess logos or do they have Royal Caribbean merchandise as well? 
only Princess …not sure why they would carry  RCCL.items ? 

Thanks in advance for your time,  AnyMajorCruiseDude! 😀 

Answers are above 

• Thanks 1

that ship.  

Tonight’s food was great!  
BTW, we read that there was no lobster in the MRD on formal night but tonight, all the great choices, including lobster was on the menu.  It was quite good.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Answers are above 

Thanks, @Cruise Raider

It’s been a while since we were last onboard so I appreciate your time.  I had to laugh when you mentioned the little leaks in Explorer’s as that was the situation back in 2011, and in 2016 we had a little bucket outside our cabin , but nothing major.   

I do recall now someone mentioning earlier that Michaelangelo is being used for crew.  

Regarding Wheelhouse, I recall some very cool paintings of ships. Hoping that they’re still there.  

Glad to hear the food has been excellent.  Is your next cruise leg the 80s themed one? 

Thank you for  your great thread and for your time.  I appreciate it.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mellon1 said:

My husband would have loved the movement of the ship.  Seems most times it is very calm, only a few times it has been rocky, and he wishes for that all the time.  He is not normal!  He can carry a drink during the most roughest we have been on and not spill a drop.  Me on the other hand, I can't do it at all.  I told him it is hard to walk in heals and I have to use my flat sandals!  LOL.  

You are making me very anxious to go reading your detailed posts.  Love it.  Thanks for taking the time.  We appreciate it a lot.

At Cabo there was a 3-5" swell at anchor and heading north today it has increased to about 5-8' with 20 knot wind out of the NW that combined with the ship speed of 21 knots created a great wind tunnel on decks 14 -17. I was at the Oasis Hot Tub a bit sheltered but heading to the elevator on the side of the ship I had to lean into the wind for a short time. However my swimsuit dried out pretty quick.

As I'm getting ready to go to bed I will orient the bed or my position on the bed to the the swell to mimic a rocking motion that apparently my mind remembers and I sleep as they they say like a baby!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, mellon1 said:

That is so great they are serving the crew!  We usually do traditional in the main dining room at late seating.  Hoping that won't be an issue.  

That drink you are having sounds amazing and different.  What day is turnaround for you?  Wishing you best of luck that all is good and you are healthy for the testing.  

Mary

No issues whatsoever. You can reserve your Dining time for your entire cruise at the same time on the Medallion App or have choices every 20 minutes from 5pm on. I choose 7pm so I could make the late show if it suited my mood. Turn around was at noon today Tuesday.

9 hours ago, srpilo said:

Sip & Cover.... What ??

Even pre-vaccine, at the worst of it, through out the country once you were seated in lounge you could take you mask off... As far as I know at this point the only occasion where sip & cover is asked and enforced is on a airplane flying, or public transportation.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this earlier in the thread, this certainly isn't the policy on the Alaska cruises or other cruise lines. This is contrary to the protocols Princess has posted on their web-site before we booked. 

I hope the cruising public hears more about this, maybe cancellations will awaken HQ that there's line where customers won't cross, specially when when they're told something different when booking or seeing on other lines

I have not seen this at all on this cruise. Every time, I sit at a bar or dining area there is no requirement to leave your mask on while eating or drinking. While being served by the staff at the buffets yes you have to use sanitizer first then a crew member gives you a table set and a plate but you need to wear a mask until you sit down. The Dining rooms the same once you sit no mask required. However I have not been to the lounges or bars on the lower decks as I prefer the outdoor upper deck pools, hot tubs, buffet and bars. Except for Dinner on Deck 6.

Edited by gmcwalker
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 4:46 PM, manunia said:

It is Barbara from Brazil

here is information provided by her: 5 days cruise - top 40 lunch, 4 days cruise- top 20 dinner, no officers in attendance but photo with captain will be taken

total passengers 1043, blue 388, gold 164, ruby 87, platinum 232, elites 172, cut off for mtp lunch is 448

Question on masks for though On-board.    What type of masks does Princess required?  Any face covering, N95, KN95, Gator, ect.

Also Does Princess have extra masks on board if a mask get lost/damaged?   Been to Princess WEB sight and can not get that info, only Mask required.    Trying to figure out how many and what type will be need.   Thanks

15 minutes ago, earthquakexl said:

Question on masks for though On-board.    What type of masks does Princess required?  Any face covering, N95, KN95, Gator, ect.

Also Does Princess have extra masks on board if a mask get lost/damaged?   Been to Princess WEB sight and can not get that info, only Mask required.    Trying to figure out how many and what type will be need.   Thanks

on the princess site under the protocols section

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

We recommend guests wash or replace their mask daily and choose a good quality double-layer cloth or medical-grade mask. Please note that visors and face shields will not be accepted as a substitute for a face mask. 

Are face shields classed as a mask?

No. Masks should have two or more layers and be worn over the nose and mouth. Gaiters and bandanas are not allowed. Face shields are only permitted when used in addition to a mask.

• Like 2