Live feed from the Grand Princess 9/25 and 9/30 cruises

Cruise Raider

21 hours ago, manunia said:

total passengers 2043, blue 388, gold 164, ruby 87, platinum 232, elites 172, cut off for mtp lunch is 448

44 minutes ago, dskenn said:

Thank you!  do you know how many days the top 40 is on your cruise?  Or the top 20?

I would have barely made the cut which doesn’t happen often.

2 hours ago, Westsail32 said:

So far it's been pretty good.  I was able to watch some YouTube video in my cabin last night on my iPad.  

If you think about it, would you please run a "Speed Test" to see what the download speed is in Mbps? For comparison when we were on the Celebrity Edge in the Caribbean in August, it usually ranged between 2.5 - 3.25 Mbps.

31 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If you think about it, would you please run a "Speed Test" to see what the download speed is in Mbps? For comparison when we were on the Celebrity Edge in the Caribbean in August, it usually ranged between 2.5 - 3.25 Mbps.

My husband just ran one, 3 up, 2 down, but it will vary.

• Thanks 1

For the person who asked about the tender process, it is easy.  You get a tender ticket and they call groups.  Once the backlog does down, they usually announce they are no longer required and you can go any time you want.  The worse part is listening to the cruise directors bad dad jokes as he calls the groups.

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Are there 2,00

41 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Does that mean 448days  is the amount of most travel passengers?

Edited by dskenn

9 minutes ago, dskenn said:

Are there 2,00

Does that mean 448days  is the amount of most travel passengers?

There is only one MTG event per cruise and 448 days is the lowest number of days to get invited on the current Grand cruise which varies on each cruise. Alaskan cruises generally have the lowest number of days & transoceanic cruises the highest number of days to be eligible.

3 hours ago, CapeAliso said:

I look forward to learning more about the tender process especially for those without Princess booked shore excursions. 

we just heard an announcement that anyone wanting to go ashore may proceed to the gangway.  
that was pretty quick. Tender tickets were given out according to CC status, room category and then whomever showed up first.  I believe a lot of people are just staying onboard.  It is quite hot and even a bit humid out today.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CapeAliso said:

I look forward to learning more about the tender process especially for those without Princess booked shore excursions. 

it appears that those that those booked on Princess shore excursions were gathered at the Explorers Lounge and got onto the tenders amongst the first tenders to take them ashore.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Are you going to do a live from when you join the ship?  I really enjoyed the one you did on the Royal.

Yes, I will! I am glad you enjoy my LIVEs. 🤗. That is why I am asking about the internet. On some cruises it is hard to post pics due to spotty service. It gets really frustrating. 

I board Oct 23rd for a B2B. My Cell Service should be fine when we are in San Diego and Mexico. It's the sea days...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That MedallioNet service is poor.  I get horrible Frontier speed at 5 mbps....and spoiled at my daughter's with 418 mbps...293 mbps upload.  I thought the big sell was that speed would be improved.  Another fail?

I don't know, 5 mbps sounds pretty good to me out at sea in the middle of nowhere. Like I mentioned earlier I was on the Edge for 3 weeks in August in the Caribbean and we averaged 2.5 - 3.25 mbps, which was fine for doing normal email, web surfing and uploading photos. However, if folks are planning to stream TV shows and stuff like that, well, 5 mbps may not be enough.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 4

The executive chef is Jerry Diaz (someone asked yesterday).  Took a screen shot of the officers board, but it's not showing up.

We are staying aboard today and will go ashore early tomorrow morning for a walk around the harbor and a stop to buy tequila.  Tonight, we are trying the pizza restaurant.  Had a slice from Slices yesterday.  It was OK, but SO SALTY!  I guess it was the cheese?

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Yes, I will! I am glad you enjoy my LIVEs. 🤗. That is why I am asking about the internet. On some cruises it is hard to post pics due to spotty service. It gets really frustrating. 

I board Oct 23rd for a B2B. My Cell Service should be fine when we are in San Diego and Mexico. It's the sea days...

OK great, am looking forward to it!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fabby50 said:

For the person who asked about the tender process, it is easy.  You get a tender ticket and they call groups.  Once the backlog does down, they usually announce they are no longer required and you can go any time you want.  The worse part is listening to the cruise directors bad dad jokes as he calls the groups.

Thank you! I'll prepare myself for the bad jokes! I am mostly wonder how long it might take us to get off without a Princess excursion.

It sounds like it was pretty quick!

Edited by CapeAliso

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just ran it sitting still in Cabo. 0.41Mbps down, 1.7Mbps up with ~600ms ping times. :/

23 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

He is not listed in Journeyview lineup that I could find.  Sorry we will miss him. 

Darren Dowler says he’s doing a couple shows with the band during this cruise.
Maybe he’s not listed as having his own show yet. I’m not sure. He just got off a Celebrity ship, but now has dates booked for the Grand and a couple other ships. I hope you catch him. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AvgeekSEA said:

Just ran it sitting still in Cabo. 0.41Mbps down, 1.7Mbps up with ~600ms ping times. 😕

Thanks! I’m sure you don’t know, but I wonder if the ship internet service is provided by a local service provider when in port rather than via satellite like when out at sea? But regardless, those speeds are definitely not too good. If I might ask, is your email service still able to send and receive messages? Obviously, you can post to CC.

7 minutes ago, KruzPrincess said:

Darren Dowler says he’s doing a couple shows with the band during this cruise.
Maybe he’s not listed as having his own show yet. I’m not sure. He just got off a Celebrity ship, but now has dates booked for the Grand and a couple other ships. I hope you catch him. 

They added him to the schedule late but we just came back from his show both my DH and I said it may have been one of the best shows we’ve ever seen on a cruise.  The man is so incredibly talented!  I’m so glad we didn’t go by the description on JourneyView, which was listed as a Variety Show.  We gave his show an A++++

I hope we get to see him again .. either on this cruise or in the future! 
you can pass that info along to him from us!  And thank you for the recommendation!  

• Like 3