Live feed from the Grand Princess 9/25 and 9/30 cruises

Cruise Raider

11 minutes ago, Sail away MK said:

Hello Grand cruisers.  I will be sailing in December and cannot tell from the deck plan diagrams.  It looks like there are no cabanas to rent in the sanctuary, only lounge chairs.  Could someone onboard please check for me? Thanks so much. 

In case no one is using it, I could say that unless they have added them recently, the Grand/Crown Class does not have the Cabanas that they have on Royal Class.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Steelers36 said:

I do not have literal confirmation, but I think the discount would apply to an individual day purchase.  

It would be nice if someone on board is dropping into the Internet Cafe, they could ask the Mgr if one is buying a single day internet, does the 50% discount apply if eligible?  

We are platinum and we’re on the October 9 sailing. The discount was $10 per day or $37.50 for the five day cruise. That is per person. I signed up for it on my phone and my husband could check his email. Plus when we were in Port, I could use the Mexico cellular as my plan includes Mexico and Canada roaming. 
You connect to the Wi-Fi for the medallion and the medallion app, but can’t surf the Internet or check email. Just for the record, I love the medallion and it’s app. Worked great for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Sail away MK said:

Hello Grand cruisers.  I will be sailing in December and cannot tell from the deck plan diagrams.  It looks like there are no cabanas to rent in the sanctuary, only lounge chairs.  Could someone onboard please check for me? Thanks so much. 

There are cabanas in the sanctuary but they're used for massages.  My wife and I had a couples massage there and it was great....  except for sales pitch afterwards to buy some spa products.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dardan said:

We are platinum and we’re on the October 9 sailing. The discount was $10 per day or $37.50 for the five day cruise. That is per person. I signed up for it on my phone and my husband could check his email. Plus when we were in Port, I could use the Mexico cellular as my plan includes Mexico and Canada roaming. 
You connect to the Wi-Fi for the medallion and the medallion app, but can’t surf the Internet or check email. Just for the record, I love the medallion and it’s app. Worked great for me.

I'm wondering if the 50% discount would apply if we only want to buy for 2 days out of 10 instead of paying $100 for 10 days; Platinum members used to get 250 minutes free internet on a 10 day cruise and we never used all the minutes. We will have a tablet with us, not a cell phone. 

9 minutes ago, cruzmore99 said:

I'm wondering if the 50% discount would apply if we only want to buy for 2 days out of 10 instead of paying $100 for 10 days; Platinum members used to get 250 minutes free internet on a 10 day cruise and we never used all the minutes. We will have a tablet with us, not a cell phone. 

You should be charged 1/2 price for a single day of internet which is $20/day.

15 hours ago, LarryHD2 said:

There are cabanas in the sanctuary but they're used for massages.  My wife and I had a couples massage there and it was great....  except for sales pitch afterwards to buy some spa products.

I didn't mention those as they aren't really cabanas as in the Royal Class.  They are really just a couple of square tents with drapes on four sides to provide privacy for the massage table contained within.  They are an extension of the Lotus Spa and not true Sanctuary space.

14 minutes ago, Sail away MK said:

Thanks for the Sanctuary info cruisers.  My group will run up to try for several loungers in a pod to create our own cabana-like experience.  Hoping its not a problem due to being a winter in Mexico cruise.

It's not a problem during the limited capacity sailings .. otherwise, everyone wants a nice place by the pool in the winter in Mexico.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

It's not a problem during the limited capacity sailings .. otherwise, everyone wants a nice place by the pool in the winter in Mexico.  

Are only people in the Sanctuary and Spa allowed to use that pool by the Lotus Spa? 

4 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Are only people in the Sanctuary and Spa allowed to use that pool by the Lotus Spa? 

The pool by the spa is an adult only "free" pool.  Usually it is shaded and a bit cool.  Nice place to just sit without the chlorine smell (as in the Conservatory above the Lido deck pool).

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

No, we've used it many times without having an appointment in the spa or Sanctuary.  It is limited to adults only, though.  I love that it's not crowded at all.  We've even been welcomed into the spa to use their restrooms, that was before the pandemic, though.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The pool by the spa is an adult only "free" pool.  Usually it is shaded and a bit cool.  Nice place to just sit without the chlorine smell (as in the Conservatory above the Lido deck pool).

that pool was closed during our 10/14 sailing

• 5 months later...
On 10/2/2021 at 2:59 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I don’t think you can go wrong with either side of the ship in Alaska, especially when traveling through the narrow passages .. there is always amazing something to see on either side.  Last time to Alaska (our favorite itinerary), we chose an aft facing cabin.  That was amazing, too!  
But, if I had to choose, I would have to say I would pick the Starboard side when traveling north.  And good advice on choosing the Caribe deck on the Grand. That’s the deck we are on right now and I love it.  
I can tell you that the aft and forward sections of the ship can be a bit of a rough ride when hitting the open ocean … midship will be your smoothest ride.  We kind of like the motion of the ocean and this second sailing of the B2B is just smooth as can be.  

As far as Vancouver, I absolutely recommend the Pan Pacific if you are staying overnight before hand or afterward.  The surrounding hotels are a.so wonderful but the Pan Pacific is my absolute favorite!  They even take your luggage from your hotel room to the ship for you .. it’s complimentary but we feel a sizable tip is warranted.  We love Stanley Park in Vancouver … just not sure how much will be operational by next year.  

We’ve not been as far north as Anchorage but I will tell you what my favorite things to do in the three main ports in which they usually call.  

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier (with the visitor’s center is a must to for a one and done to Alaska)

other things to do are: 

-to travel up Mt Roberts by tram for some incredible, views

-go to the Alaskan Brewing Company brewery for a tour and beer tasting (take a bag of hone roasted pretzels and you will have some great company of locals at your table).  Start by purchasing tickets at the Company Store right across from the Red Dog 

-oh .. and go to the Red Dog Saloon (so much fun)

-whale watching 

-take a self guided tour of the government building and the governors mansion 

-small boat excursion down the Tracy Arm up to the face of the twin Sawyer Glaciers 

-fish hatchery 

-Mendenhall Gardens

-there was a little church across the bridge where we did some exploring .. such a beautiful setting 

Ketchikan - Creek Street boardwalk and the Married mans trail hike .. up the hill for some wonderful views and a meal or a cocktail up at the hotel … be sure to visit the small but beautiful totem pole park just outside the hotel entrance.  Walk down the metal side stairs to get back towards married man’s trail and turn right to view the fish ladder (if the salmon are running).  There are a couple viewing platforms there.  
other thing to do:  

-the Lumberjack Show in town is so much fun 

-head into the Sourdough Bar by the dock for an Alaskan beer and be sure to check out the pictures of the town’s history in the wall 

-we still haven’t gone but want to check out the fish hatchery .. another mile or two from the side staircase coming down from the hotel on the hill. 

Skagway - the Yukon White Pass Railroad is their most famous attraction 

other things yo do: 

-Sled-dog puppies

-mining for gold and salmon bake in Liarsville 

-Red Onion Saloon 

-play about Soapy Smith and history of Skagway 

-Skagway museum 

that’s just a few of the things I would recommend while there.  I know there are float planes galore, especially in Skagway, some helicopter trips that land on the glacier up in Skagway.  There’s been a few incidents in the last couple of years up there though with those float planes so not sure if I’m brave enough to chance one at this point in time.  Plus, I think they are rather pricey.  

We’ve also been to Icy Strait Point and Victoria, Prince Rupert, and Sitka if those are any of your stops .. feel free to ask.  

oh and Glacier Bay is the highlight of any cruise to Alaska if you ask me!  

Hi, I realize this post is old but I have just read it and like your recommendations list. We are going to Icy Strait Point and would like any information you can provide for there. I have read that it is the place to see whales and brown bears. Also, have you done any float planes and if so where is the best place to do that? Thank you very much.

8 hours ago, butterfly55 said:

Hi, I realize this post is old but I have just read it and like your recommendations list. We are going to Icy Strait Point and would like any information you can provide for there. I have read that it is the place to see whales and brown bears. Also, have you done any float planes and if so where is the best place to do that? Thank you very much.

I love Icy Strait Point and yes, it is the place to see whales and pretty good for brown bears, too.  

We've not done any float planes while in Alaska, though.  They have one entity to take you out on a boat to go whale watching as of the last time we were there.  I highly recommend it.  

My brother went on the bear watch in the wild and they had quite the show ... that was in late August, if that info is important.  They really loved it. Those ABC islands of Alaska have more bears than residents.