Live feed from the Grand Princess 9/25 and 9/30 cruises

Cruise Raider

8 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

No bathing suits...otherwise whatever you want.

Sweet we are doing it formal night so as not to have to dress for dinner to try it out and then may hit the buffet of still hungry but heard it can be a lot of food 😋 

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I was surprised as well but, the disembarkation paper stated that room service was available to all guests the last morning before disembarking.  And, it was there very quickly, too.  

Not only specialty coffees but wine, beer, sodas, cocktails, juices, etc. could be ordered via the app or your stateroom tv and there was no charge if you had the beverage package.  You could have your items via the room service menu delivered anywhere on the ship.  Some would order it via the app while sitting in Crooners, the Explorers Lounge, Vines, etc.  As stated, though, you could not order two drinks at the same time unless calling via the phone or through a waiter taking your order.  They may fix this in the future but if you and your cabin mate both have the beverage package and you are going to each order a drink, you have to order them each on your own device or order one and switch user on the app.  It sounds like a hassle but, it really isn't.  I'd simply order my coffee via the app, which was signed in under my name and my DH would order his via the TV and choose his name.  

I really don’t understand why you would order via the app when you are sitting in the bar. Have always enjoyed the interaction with the bartenders

47 minutes ago, memoak said:

I really don’t understand why you would order via the app when you are sitting in the bar. Have always enjoyed the interaction with the bartenders

We didn't but that was one of the options.  I think they are trying to deter the number of interactions with the staff due to CoVid but you will always have a group that wants just that.  I think we noticed about half and half.  

One day we were sitting on the top deck of the conservatory and no waiters were walking around.  I ordered a drink via the app but my DH wanted something special.  So, when the waiter delivered my drink, he was able to order the one for my DH.  It works well if you don't want something made a particular way. 

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The special coffees are all included in the beverage package and don't count against the 15 drink limit if there is no alcohol in them.  Now, you can order the specialty coffees via room service and there is no extra charge.  But, if you order two of them, either call on the phone or order separately via the app.  

You no longer have any paperwork to sign when they bring your order to your room (or elsewhere), thus there is also no place to write a tip.  We just made sure we had a lot of small bills out for when we ordered room service.  

When you order your drinks and room service do they come into your room like they used to do or do they hand it to you at the door?

4 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

When you order your drinks and room service do they come into your room like they used to do or do they hand it to you at the door?

For the most part, they come into your room.  Once, because they only dropped off a cup of coffee, they handed it to my DH.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Is it different types of tea or just 1 flavor 🤔 

Pre-covid...they walked around with a pot of standard Lipton. If you want something "special" (I favor Earl Gray), just request it. Or if you like the brand that you can get at the IC, go to the counter in the IC & request a tea bag...bring it to the afternoon tea and request a pot of hot water.

Coffee is on request, no one walks around with a pot of coffee (it's afternoon tea, after all 😉)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Pre-covid...they walked around with a pot of standard Lipton. If you want something "special" (I favor Earl Gray), just request it. Or if you like the brand that you can get at the IC, go to the counter in the IC & request a tea bag...bring it to the afternoon tea and request a pot of hot water.

Coffee is on request, no one walks around with a pot of coffee (it's afternoon tea, after all 😉)

thanks yeah we want the tea.

We tried to put the MedallionClass app on our tablet so we can get the dining, etc set up (even though our cruise is not until Jan. 2022) . Our tablet states "your device isn't compatible with this version". Did anyone else have this problem and is there any way to get around the problem other than buying a new device?  Our Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 works fine for everything else but I guess anything that's 6 years old is obsolete. We don't want a smart phone.  

To those arriving this morning from Cabo, WELCOME HOME to USA!

We're boarding this morning for our cruise aboard the Grand Princess and are truly excited. I'm sure you remember the feeling.

This is our 76th cruise and I'm just as excited as the first one in the 90s.

Anyone have any last minutes suggestions, complaints, etc to pass on?

Also, thanks for all the posts this past couple of weeks. It made the last couple of weeks more bearable. 

• Like 4

This itinerary allows for the dining room to be open ‘everyday’ for lunch, which is unusual. I think day 3 will be one of my favorite lunch menus. Frito Misto, fried seafood platter with fried shrimp, scallops, calamari and whitefish. Tuna melt with potato chips(similar to plain lays chips), Nasi Goreng(sp) which has Beef Satay sticks, I had all three.

The first 5 day sailing reported they did Lobster and Escargot on night 4, must have been one time deal being first cruise, as we did NOT have this menu, I think I reported what the mains for night4 were in the live from thread started by AF-1 for Oct 4 sailing.

13 hours ago, wallyj said:

This itinerary allows for the dining room to be open ‘everyday’ for lunch, which is unusual. I think day 3 will be one of my favorite lunch menus. Frito Misto, fried seafood platter with fried shrimp, scallops, calamari and whitefish. Tuna melt with potato chips(similar to plain lays chips), Nasi Goreng(sp) which has Beef Satay sticks, I had all three.

The first 5 day sailing reported they did Lobster and Escargot on night 4, must have been one time deal being first cruise, as we did NOT have this menu, I think I reported what the mains for night4 were in the live from thread started by AF-1 for Oct 4 sailing.

Here's the frito misto, plus rollmops (pickled herring) appetizer which I had double of

20211007_125010.jpg

20211007_123214.jpg

On 10/9/2021 at 5:38 AM, DonD1234 said:

To those arriving this morning from Cabo, WELCOME HOME to USA!

We're boarding this morning for our cruise aboard the Grand Princess and are truly excited. I'm sure you remember the feeling.

This is our 76th cruise and I'm just as excited as the first one in the 90s.

Anyone have any last minutes suggestions, complaints, etc to pass on?

Also, thanks for all the posts this past couple of weeks. It made the last couple of weeks more bearable. 

Hope you are onboard having a wonderful time!!  

The B2B we went on surely exceeding our expectations.  I feel as though we were treated like royalty.  

Be sure to visit all the venues onboard.  We were impressed by the improvement made during the pause.  Don't miss the entertainment onboard.  We were particularly impressed by Darren Dowler and Naathan Phan in the theater... oh, and always Carlos Oscar.  Not sure if any of the guest entertainers will still be onboard but,  the production shows (Sweet Soul Music was my favorite) are very good.  The game shows by the CD and activities staff in the Explorers Lounge are not to be missed.  

And the piano player / singer in Crooners, Danny, the guitar player in the piazza and the house band, Static, were all excellent!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, cruzmore99 said:

With Platinum we each used to get 250 free minutes for a 10 day cruise which was more than we needed. The only package I've seen mentioned is for unlimited internet (which we don't need); are there cheaper packages available ?  

You can purchase individual days for $20/day (not sure if you get 50% off that rate, but perhaps).  You can buy whole voyage for $10/day (in advance of the cruise) and get 50% off.  If you only want a bit of internet - less than 1/2 the voyage days - then just buy it on the day(s) you want it.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You can purchase individual days for $20/day (not sure if you get 50% off that rate, but perhaps).  You can buy whole voyage for $10/day (in advance of the cruise) and get 50% off.  If you only want a bit of internet - less than 1/2 the voyage days - then just buy it on the day(s) you want it.

Thanks for the info; maybe we'll just buy it for a few days out of the 20. We just check email and do a bit of browsing. We enjoy shipboard life much more than spending time on the internet. I bet the 50% discount is only if you buy for the whole voyage. We just spent 2 hours putting info on MedallionClass app and also learning how to use a new tablet (our old tablet worked fine for everything except the app). Happy Cruising.

36 minutes ago, cruzmore99 said:

Thanks for the info; maybe we'll just buy it for a few days out of the 20. We just check email and do a bit of browsing. We enjoy shipboard life much more than spending time on the internet. I bet the 50% discount is only if you buy for the whole voyage. We just spent 2 hours putting info on MedallionClass app and also learning how to use a new tablet (our old tablet worked fine for everything except the app). Happy Cruising.

I do not have literal confirmation, but I think the discount would apply to an individual day purchase.  

It would be nice if someone on board is dropping into the Internet Cafe, they could ask the Mgr if one is buying a single day internet, does the 50% discount apply if eligible?  

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I do not have literal confirmation, but I think the discount would apply to an individual day purchase.  

It would be nice if someone on board is dropping into the Internet Cafe, they could ask the Mgr if one is buying a single day internet, does the 50% discount apply if eligible?  

We just got off the Grand from the Oct 9 Cabo cruise and the Elite 50% Internet discount does apply to the Daily rate.  It shows up on the Medallion app when selecting the Internet section as $10 per day as the discounted rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LuvKruzn said:

We just got off the Grand from the Oct 9 Cabo cruise and the Elite 50% Internet discount does apply to the Daily rate.  It shows up on the Medallion app when selecting the Internet section as $10 per day as the discounted rate.

Thanks for the info; we are not cruising until Jan. 2022 but we are trying to get some things sorted out now. We did set up our dining yesterday to have the same time every day. On a scale of 1 to 10 re: computers/internet, I'm about a 5, so things take time. We "love cruising" too.