Live feed from the Grand Princess 9/25 and 9/30 cruises

Cruise Raider

5 hours ago, mellon1 said:

I BELIEVE YOU.  Just sad not knowing.  Just talked with my husband and he said he will just say in the room the entire time and be on the balcony except for dinner if he has to mask everywhere.  I am not happy with that for 42 day cruise, b2bs.  Read on this site about testing in dining room.  I am not a doctor or nurse, but how sanitary is that when people will be eating in there?  Ewww.

I am a nurse (not that it makes me an expert), but I am assuming they changed the tablecloths from the section we were all sitting in....just as they would between dining parties.  I didn't observe any visible mucus from the nostril swirling.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mellon1 said:

I BELIEVE YOU.  Just sad not knowing.  Just talked with my husband and he said he will just say in the room the entire time and be on the balcony except for dinner if he has to mask everywhere.  I am not happy with that for 42 day cruise, b2bs.  Read on this site about testing in dining room.  I am not a doctor or nurse, but how sanitary is that when people will be eating in there?  Ewww.

It is not like that at all even though I know what it sounds like.   The staff is all gowned up and sterile pads are laid down and everything is sterilized afterwards even though there is absolutely nothing from the swab tip that touches any surface of the pad, much less the table.  
Our testing was actually performed in the Vista Lounge and I would have absolutely no concerns about enjoying a drink in there right after tests were completed.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, snoodqueen said:

Thank you to everyone posting live from the Grand!  You've answered a lot of questions and it's much appreciated.  I am boarding on the 14th and would like to know if you are allowed to get your own tea/coffee in the buffet?  I always have a thermal mug to put my tea in and really don't want to pack/bring it if I can't make my own tea.

We really  haven’t even gone into the buffet area yet but it is really easy to get hot water or coffee on the ship.  There’s plenty of help to get anything you need and a lot of what used to be self service items are now served by the crew.  It’s always been the rule that you pour any liquid (or ice) into a cup from the buffet and transfer it to your own mug anyway.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, redrobin said:

Any insight/tips regarding the cruise terminal and boarding process? It's been awhile since I've cruised out of LA/San Pedro. 

With the medallion, it’s super speedy to be checked in and board the ship.  
In the terminal, you will just need to have your medallion (if you’ve received it in the mail), your passport, your vaccination card and your negative CoVid test result available.  They have a priority lane as before but there was absolutely no line when we checked in around 11:30.  
we then went through security and they gave us a pass to board the ship.  Easy as can be and no lines, whatsoever.  

I just have to comment that the entire staff, especially those at Crooners and at Vines went out of their way to make our anniversary celebration very special and memorable.  
Special thanks to Amel and Vladimir from Vines, as well as to Desmond, Brian and Roan from Crooners and the dining staff in the DaVinci … Yelcin, Rachel, Juvie and Jon Carlos … 

and Ashley, the beverage manager. 

• Like 3

On 10/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, Steelers36 said:

This makes is sound like there is nothing.  What do you call it now?

But, to explore further, is it your impression or knowledge that there is no same table/same wait staff in either DR in use?  This is NOT what is supposed to be happening.  Seems like still no corrective action if you are correct.

This will be sad for us.  We enjoy the same waiters and table on our b2b cruises and don't want to have to go through all the things with each week 6 times.    I thought they still had a traditional dining room?  I thought I read it somewhere on CC.

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I just have to comment that the entire staff, especially those at Crooners and at Vines went out of their way to make our anniversary celebration very special and memorable.  
Special thanks to Amel and Vladimir from Vines, as well as to Desmond, Brian and Roan from Crooners and the dining staff in the DaVinci … Yelcin, Rachel, Juvie and Jon Carlos … 

and Ashley, the beverage manager. 

Happy Anniversary!  We have celebrated them onboard and the crew always makes us feel so special.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Have they been doing port pics when exiting in ports?

You know, we haven’t even gotten off the ship yet … so, I really don’t know.  We were going to walk around today in Ensenada but it’s so smoky outside.  I think there must be a large fire nearby?  I really have been bad at keeping up with the news.  

Anyway, I’ve seen photographers around the ship, though.  They haven’t come into the dining rooms or taken embarkation photos, though.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

This will be sad for us.  We enjoy the same waiters and table on our b2b cruises and don't want to have to go through all the things with each week 6 times.    I thought they still had a traditional dining room?  I thought I read it somewhere on CC.

I’m sure if you spoke with one of the head waiters, they will pass that information along for you.  

40 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You know, we haven’t even gotten off the ship yet … so, I really don’t know.  We were going to walk around today in Ensenada but it’s so smoky outside.  I think there must be a large fire nearby?  I really have been bad at keeping up with the news.  

Anyway, I’ve seen photographers around the ship, though.  They haven’t come into the dining rooms or taken embarkation photos, though.  

It was quite smoky here last night in San Diego   so yeah either a fire or the N Cal fires smoke is being pushed down here. We didn't see anything on the news yesterday or this am.

If you happen to pass the photo area and see if they show any pics in the ports that would be great but I know you are on vacay so do enjoy and thanks for the response.

10 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not really.  The staff is in a tough spot … they have made announcements but nobody is going around policing it in fear of getting a customer complaint.  

A  customer complaint would be pale in comparison to news and costs were the ship to have to deal with cluster of (+)ve cases!  JMO.  Right now, Grand has the green status, everyone should do their best to keep it that way if cruising is as important as they claim it to be.

Cruise Raider - We've always gotten our own tea/hot water/coffee at the buffet in our thermal mugs, no matter what ship or cruise line we were on.  Making up two of those little cups they have and then pouring it into my mug would be messy (I tend to spill!) and a waste of time/cups.  The exception has been when there has been a  norovirus problem and even then the crew took our mugs and filled them for us.  I'll leave it at home this cruise.  Thanks for responding.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not really.  The staff is in a tough spot … they have made announcements but nobody is going around policing it in fear of getting a customer complaint.  

I guess they’d prefer complaints from guests who booked the cruise because the stated rules were that masks were to be worn in certain places and that’s not being enforced.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

It was quite smoky here last night in San Diego   so yeah either a fire or the N Cal fires smoke is being pushed down here. We didn't see anything on the news yesterday or this am.

If you happen to pass the photo area and see if they show any pics in the ports that would be great but I know you are on vacay so do enjoy and thanks for the response.

Its not a problem at all … will check as soon as they are open.  

16 hours ago, BrandiGreg said:

I am a nurse (not that it makes me an expert), but I am assuming they changed the tablecloths from the section we were all sitting in....just as they would between dining parties.  I didn't observe any visible mucus from the nostril swirling.

I am sorry...I forgot to thank you for your service...Nurses are Angels on earth.❤️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phonejock said:

@BrandiGreg @CruiseRaider just have to ask… I saw your pictures on the b2b covid testing.  So glad everyone was ok. Any idea what would have happened if there had been a positive result?  Thank you All the best

If there was a positive result but asymptomatic, we would have been isolated until we disembarked in Los Angeles.  There are isolation / quarantine rooms set aside.  Your room would go through a deep clean and sanitized from floor to ceiling.  Your contacts would be notified and they would also be required to test.  if you were symptomatic requiring medical care, portions of that care would be administered on the ship …. depending on the severity of one’s illness.  Princess would take care of the arrangements for transportation to the hospital or home, again .. dependent upon the severity of one’s illness.  You will be disembarked at the end of the cruise (if not before) and proper arrangements would be made for getting you home.  
We learned of all protocols while on the Majestic earlier this year.  

Hi all.  We are planning on booking a last minute cruise and was curious of the size of the Medallion.  It appears to look to be the same size as an Apple Air Tag.  Can any one confirm they are or are not the same size?  Looking to see if Air Tag Accessories would work to hold the Medallion securely.  Thanks in advance.

31 minutes ago, YETI71 said:

Hi all.  We are planning on booking a last minute cruise and was curious of the size of the Medallion.  It appears to look to be the same size as an Apple Air Tag.  Can any one confirm they are or are not the same size?  Looking to see if Air Tag Accessories would work to hold the Medallion securely.  Thanks in advance.

Roughly yes, about the size of an airtag.  I have an airtag luggage tag and my medallion would fit the same hole.  I'm not sure either would actually be secure for the handling luggage receives though.

I am really enjoying the live thread, Thank You!  Question for those just onboard.  Did you pre-purchase the internet in the App before the cruise at $10.00 per day?  I am interested to know it worked out.  Did you immediately see the 1/2 OBC on your onboard account once you boarded, or did you have ask for it at passenger services?  I did the pre-purchase and was charged the full price already on my CC.  I did not see the point of waiting til day 1 and pay $15.00 per day and get 1/2 back OBC from that price.  The way Princess is doing this just seems to me we are lending them cash money for free.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I guess they’d prefer complaints from guests who booked the cruise because the stated rules were that masks were to be worn in certain places and that’s not being enforced.

If it is not being enforced, get rid of the sip and cover policy, having signs around is a waste of time.   Like formal wear in MDR on formal nights, requested but not enforced, so get rid of it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BrandiGreg said:

On board currently, and no one cares if you don't sip and slip, really.  This is all new for the cruise lines and staff and passengers, so I feel most passengers are going to be nice and cut them some slack on inconsistencies.  I think you will find on board that 90% are compliant without complaint or unhappiness. And that's a setting for a pretty good atmosphere.  Just be reasonable. Relax. Do what you feel is the right thing, and don't worry about what others may choose to do.  Just like when you see a tshirt on formal night... You are in control of your own cruise enjoyment.  

What time do you guys dock in SanPedro tomorrow morning