Live feed from the Grand Princess 9/25 and 9/30 cruises

Cruise Raider

1 hour ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

We were on with you last week and also thought the vast majority were complying.  Any noticeable difference in passenger breakdowns?  Older, younger, etc...

About the same assortment of ages and other demographics.

4 hours ago, srpilo said:

Just a quick question...

For the nights when you haven't used the app to make future dining reservations --> Is there still walk up Any Time dining in one of the MDR ?

Sorry if it's been answered before

You can certainly walk up and asked to be seated without a reservation but you may end up waiting a little while and you may not be able to get a specific table.  With so few people onboard, this is the time to do it.  In the future when the ships stop the limited capacity, you will probably run into problems with that strategy.  There is no more traditional or anytime dining.  It seems to be working out very well, though.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

There is no more traditional or anytime dining.

This makes is sound like there is nothing.  What do you call it now?

But, to explore further, is it your impression or knowledge that there is no same table/same wait staff in either DR in use?  This is NOT what is supposed to be happening.  Seems like still no corrective action if you are correct.

We agreed to a shared table last night (something we hardly ever do) and had a wonderful dinner with other CC members.  It was a good table with a lot of conversation.  
Cruisesnooze happened to mention how she was able to board without using the app or get a medallion.  I happen to like the medallion and the app but, I guess some just do not.  Princess is aiming to please with offering this option.  

Dinner was awesome as was the service.  When seated at a shared table, everyone ate in shifts, which is a bit odd but it worked.  
We hit the Liars Club game show again and although the show was a repeat, we still found it to be hilarious!  
We had wanted to see the singer as she was so good on the first leg of our sailing but learned she injured herself and Carlos Oscar stepped in to do another show.  He always has new material prepared for these occasions when he is asked to step in for an extra show is is always hilarious.  We missed his show as we were enjoying dinner conversation.  But, when sitting at a shared table, dining usually does take longer.  
As we were heading to our room to turn in, we met Darren Dowler and he was kind enough to stop and chat.  Nice guy and like I mentioned, extremely talented!  

The seas are as smooth as can be today (and all last night).  We inquired about the delays to Cabo and back to LA for the next sailing and they do not anticipate that to happen again.  The guest services staff did make note that they would prepare to sail at the very minute they are scheduled (if not a bit early) to avoid any future schedule changes.  

We are being tested today, which is one week from our original embarkation date.  Fingers crossed but we feel as though we’ve been doing everything possible to stay healthy!  I think that’s easier to do on a cruiseship vs on an airplane.  Everything around the ship is constantly being sanitized!  Kudos to the hard working crew and staff onboard!  

Off to another day of being treated like Royalty.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

This makes is sound like there is nothing.  What do you call it now?

But, to explore further, is it your impression or knowledge that there is no same table/same wait staff in either DR in use?  This is NOT what is supposed to be happening.  Seems like still no corrective action if you are correct.

Ooops .. I did make it sound like that, didn’t I?  Basically, I meant they don’t have that option open in the app or the personalizer to book ‘traditional’ or ‘anytime’ dining.  You pick your own time via the app and they are offered in 20 minute intervals.  
You can request the same wait staff on a nightly basis but they may not have a table open in that section, especially if you tend to dine during the busy hours .. around that 6:00 PM hour.  You are always welcome to make a reservation around 5:00 PM and they will save that table for you in the section you request.  When dining for a table for one or two, 6:00 PM tends to be enough time to make it to the 7:45 PM show followed by the 8:45 PM show.  On the Majestic back in July, we had double the amount of passengers onboard and had all three dining rooms open.  I understand that the Symphony on the Majestic is now closed, as is the Michelangelo on the Grand.  We’ve requested a specific wait staff but their tables have been completely full and tried tables in other sections, which are really equally as good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Ooops .. I did make it sound like that, didn’t I?  Basically, I meant they don’t have that option open in the app or the personalizer to book ‘traditional’ or ‘anytime’ dining.  You pick your own time via the app and they are offered in 20 minute intervals.  
You can request the same wait staff on a nightly basis but they may not have a table open in that section, especially if you tend to dine during the busy hours .. around that 6:00 PM hour.  You are always welcome to make a reservation around 5:00 PM and they will save that table for you in the section you request.  When dining for a table for one or two, 6:00 PM tends to be enough time to make it to the 7:45 PM show followed by the 8:45 PM show.  On the Majestic back in July, we had double the amount of passengers onboard and had all three dining rooms open.  I understand that the Symphony on the Majestic is now closed, as is the Michelangelo on the Grand.  We’ve requested a specific wait staff but their tables have been completely full and tried tables in other sections, which are really equally as good.  

Thanks for your experience details.  It does seem at least that booking Same Time, Same Wait Staff for Full Voyage in DMW is a joke at this point and the App cannot deliver that and the DR mgmt is not doing what they used to do, either because they can't or HQ has given them new directions. 

And yet, HQ swears they are going to deliver on the TD experience.

9 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

You can certainly walk up and asked to be seated without a reservation but you may end up waiting a little while and you may not be able to get a specific table.  With so few people onboard, this is the time to do it.  In the future when the ships stop the limited capacity, you will probably run into problems with that strategy.  There is no more traditional or anytime dining.  It seems to be working out very well, though.   

Thanks sound good , I was hoping to be able to just walk up (old school) on the days when plans change or just didn't make any reservations.

After over 50 cruises on Princess, it now feels at times like I'm a blue card again asking basic questions, thanks for all your speedy replies 😎

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, srpilo said:

Thanks sound good , I was hoping to be able to just walk up (old school) on the days when plans change or just didn't make any reservations.

After over 50 cruises on Princess, it now feels at times like I'm a blue card again asking basic questions, thanks for all your speedy replies 😎

I am actually enjoying answering any questions I can to make the next person’s sailing as pleasurable as possible..  The folks on CC have taught me so much over the years.  My first post on CC was a very valid complaint and I received several very snarky replies.  I never want to be that kind of poster.  Throughout the years, I’ve posted so many positive and always honest opinions.  If I have a valid complaint, I will post that, too.  But, I always always always believe in giving everybody a second chance after having a bad experience.  And I will never judge an entire vacation as what I perceive as being one bad incident.  People all deserve a chance to learn from their mistakes and build upon their strengths.  
I can honestly say that on this cruise, we are being spoiled beyond belief.  It is different than pre-CoVid but I think I actually prefer it now more so than before!  Life has been so good upon the Grand!  

• Like 12

@Cruise RaiderI do have a few questions if you have time. I just had a friend contact me moments ago and tell me that they were sailing Alaska on the Grand Princess next May (2nd cruise ever).  They are leaving from Vancouver northbound to anchorage.  I told her about the Caribe balconies so they may possibly switch to that. I can’t remember which side of the ship would be best or if it really did not matter.  She was also asking about excursions. Any favorites?  Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for your experience details.  It does seem at least that booking Same Time, Same Wait Staff for Full Voyage in DMW is a joke at this point and the App cannot deliver that and the DR mgmt is not doing what they used to do, either because they can't or HQ has given them new directions. 

And yet, HQ swears they are going to deliver on the TD experience.

I am almost 100% sure that once you get onboard, they will do everything in their power to meet your needs to make your cruise experience very pleasurable.  We just happen to eat at a very busy time but have had nothing but stellar service.  Everything is in flux right now and they are working on those procedures to make as many passengers as possible happy and satisfied.  
I actually prefer the DMW via the app because I get to dine at the time I choose, which is between 6:00 and 6:30 PM.  I could never do that before.  I do think that one of the dining rooms is set up for a more traditional dining experience, although they don’t call it that anymore.  A friend was on the Majestic back in July and reported she wanted the same table with the same wait staff every night down in the Allegro.  It might be handled the same way in the Botticelli ding room on this ship.  I have just never looked into it as I am not a fan of those out of the way dining rooms.  If I happen to remember to ask someone about it today, I will report back.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I have just never looked into it as I am not a fan of those out of the way dining rooms.  If I happen to remember to ask someone about it today, I will report back.  

Thanks.  BTW, we prefer the mid-ship DR as well and the one on Deck 6 was always Early TD.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@Cruise RaiderI do have a few questions if you have time. I just had a friend contact me moments ago and tell me that they were sailing Alaska on the Grand Princess next May (2nd cruise ever).  They are leaving from Vancouver northbound to anchorage.  I told her about the Caribe balconies so they may possibly switch to that. I can’t remember which side of the ship would be best or if it really did not matter.  She was also asking about excursions. Any favorites?  Thank you so much!

I don’t think you can go wrong with either side of the ship in Alaska, especially when traveling through the narrow passages .. there is always amazing something to see on either side.  Last time to Alaska (our favorite itinerary), we chose an aft facing cabin.  That was amazing, too!  
But, if I had to choose, I would have to say I would pick the Starboard side when traveling north.  And good advice on choosing the Caribe deck on the Grand. That’s the deck we are on right now and I love it.  
I can tell you that the aft and forward sections of the ship can be a bit of a rough ride when hitting the open ocean … midship will be your smoothest ride.  We kind of like the motion of the ocean and this second sailing of the B2B is just smooth as can be.  

As far as Vancouver, I absolutely recommend the Pan Pacific if you are staying overnight before hand or afterward.  The surrounding hotels are a.so wonderful but the Pan Pacific is my absolute favorite!  They even take your luggage from your hotel room to the ship for you .. it’s complimentary but we feel a sizable tip is warranted.  We love Stanley Park in Vancouver … just not sure how much will be operational by next year.  

We’ve not been as far north as Anchorage but I will tell you what my favorite things to do in the three main ports in which they usually call.  

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier (with the visitor’s center is a must to for a one and done to Alaska)

other things to do are: 

-to travel up Mt Roberts by tram for some incredible, views

-go to the Alaskan Brewing Company brewery for a tour and beer tasting (take a bag of hone roasted pretzels and you will have some great company of locals at your table).  Start by purchasing tickets at the Company Store right across from the Red Dog 

-oh .. and go to the Red Dog Saloon (so much fun)

-whale watching 

-take a self guided tour of the government building and the governors mansion 

-small boat excursion down the Tracy Arm up to the face of the twin Sawyer Glaciers 

-fish hatchery 

-Mendenhall Gardens

-there was a little church across the bridge where we did some exploring .. such a beautiful setting 

Ketchikan - Creek Street boardwalk and the Married mans trail hike .. up the hill for some wonderful views and a meal or a cocktail up at the hotel … be sure to visit the small but beautiful totem pole park just outside the hotel entrance.  Walk down the metal side stairs to get back towards married man’s trail and turn right to view the fish ladder (if the salmon are running).  There are a couple viewing platforms there.  
other thing to do:  

-the Lumberjack Show in town is so much fun 

-head into the Sourdough Bar by the dock for an Alaskan beer and be sure to check out the pictures of the town’s history in the wall 

-we still haven’t gone but want to check out the fish hatchery .. another mile or two from the side staircase coming down from the hotel on the hill. 

Skagway - the Yukon White Pass Railroad is their most famous attraction 

other things yo do: 

-Sled-dog puppies

-mining for gold and salmon bake in Liarsville 

-Red Onion Saloon 

-play about Soapy Smith and history of Skagway 

-Skagway museum 

that’s just a few of the things I would recommend while there.  I know there are float planes galore, especially in Skagway, some helicopter trips that land on the glacier up in Skagway.  There’s been a few incidents in the last couple of years up there though with those float planes so not sure if I’m brave enough to chance one at this point in time.  Plus, I think they are rather pricey.  

We’ve also been to Icy Strait Point and Victoria, Prince Rupert, and Sitka if those are any of your stops .. feel free to ask.  

oh and Glacier Bay is the highlight of any cruise to Alaska if you ask me!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DonD1234 said:

We're boarding next Saturday. How is the internet connection? 

Sometimes, it is a bit spotty and sometimes, it has been excellent!  
Streaming may prove to be a bit tough but it is world’s better than what it used to be like before MedallionNet was installed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am actually enjoying answering any questions I can to make the next person’s sailing as pleasurable as possible..  The folks on CC have taught me so much over the years.  My first post on CC was a very valid complaint and I received several very snarky replies.  I never want to be that kind of poster.  Throughout the years, I’ve posted so many positive and always honest opinions.  If I have a valid complaint, I will post that, too.  But, I always always always believe in giving everybody a second chance after having a bad experience.  And I will never judge an entire vacation as what I perceive as being one bad incident.  People all deserve a chance to learn from their mistakes and build upon their strengths.  
I can honestly say that on this cruise, we are being spoiled beyond belief.  It is different than pre-CoVid but I think I actually prefer it now more so than before!  Life has been so good upon the Grand!  

I admire your passion 😉

• Thanks 2

On 10/1/2021 at 11:19 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Oh yes … the announcements were made and the signs are in the lounges.  While largely adhered to on the first leg of our cruise, we noticed a lot of people on this cruise ignoring this requirement.  Just not cool!  

Are they doing anything about it?

22 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I don’t think Princess has started up any longer cruises as of yet.  I read that people on the Majestic with B2B sailings, it was done the night before the first leg of the cruise ended and yes, it was done onboard.  
but, I believe the protocols will be in constant flux for months to come.  All that we can do is go with the flow, be very flexible and understanding that nothing is yet set in stone.  

I BELIEVE YOU.  Just sad not knowing.  Just talked with my husband and he said he will just say in the room the entire time and be on the balcony except for dinner if he has to mask everywhere.  I am not happy with that for 42 day cruise, b2bs.  Read on this site about testing in dining room.  I am not a doctor or nurse, but how sanitary is that when people will be eating in there?  Ewww.

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I don't know  you but, YOU are a really good person to help others.  Thank you from the heart,

Mary 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone posting live from the Grand!  You've answered a lot of questions and it's much appreciated.  I am boarding on the 14th and would like to know if you are allowed to get your own tea/coffee in the buffet?  I always have a thermal mug to put my tea in and really don't want to pack/bring it if I can't make my own tea.

3 hours ago, snoodqueen said:

Thank you to everyone posting live from the Grand!  You've answered a lot of questions and it's much appreciated.  I am boarding on the 14th and would like to know if you are allowed to get your own tea/coffee in the buffet?  I always have a thermal mug to put my tea in and really don't want to pack/bring it if I can't make my own tea.

They don't want people getting their own drinks especially in a reusable mug in the buffet for COVID reasons.  But they are more than happy to bring you whatever you want to the table and you can pour it into your mug there.

• Like 3