How to Find a Travel Agent?

Low Country Sandlapper

I have sailed on several Regent cruises.  For my next cruise, I think I would like to travel on Silverseas or Seabourn.  I want to find an experienced, luxury-cruise knowledgeable travel agent but don’t know how.  Few of my friends take cruises, and those who do, travel on big ships, so I can’t ask for a referral.

Unfortunately, I think the rules for this forum prohibit people from making recommendations, but does anyone have any suggestions about how to find an agent?

I really appreciate your help.

18 hours ago, Low Country Sandlapper said:

... Unfortunately, I think the rules for this forum prohibit people from making recommendations, but does anyone have any suggestions about how to find an agent?...

Howdy @Low Country Sandlapper emo22.gif

You are correct about asking for or making TA recommendations on the Cruise Critic message boards. See the Travel Agent Recommendations section in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships.

Please note there is a Cruise Critic article Finding a Cruise Travel Agent (updated August 31, 2021) you should find useful. And in your case regarding a luxury cruise TA, see the Cruise Critic article Why You Need Luxury Cruise Travel Agents -- and How to Find a Good One (updated September 21, 2017).

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We have a wonderful TA.  We found her by talking to a friend of ours who does extensive cruising and they said that we should go w her.   We have been using her for maybe 10 years now.  In other words, we found her by word of mouth.

I will add some thoughts as to what I am looking for in a TA.  Some people want someone who gives them the best deal or the biggest rebates.  These are good but in my mind service is more important than saving the maximum amount of bucks.  Once she even got up early in the morning to get us a cabin on a cruise that we both knew was going to sell out quickly.  Our TA know what sort of cruises we like and where we want to be on the ship.  She cruise will contact us if she has a cruise that she thinks we will like.  Also she is on our side when there are issues between us and the cruise company.  

Hope that this helps.

DON

• Like 1

I have been using our TA for over 15 years and met her for the first time in  person in 2020.  She was referred to me.

The following things I like about her would be on a list if I had to find a new TA:

She is always available on the phone or text.  So much so that I avoid sending her an email on the weekend unless it is something that needs to be handled then.

I am not concerned about any kind of rebate since I know she will be available to me if I need help due to cancellations, late arrival or what ever where ever we are.  That is what is important to me.

Every so often I will get an email from her with an updated invoice because she noticed a special of some kind on our upcoming cruise and took advantage of it.

She will work to help us decide if we go with cruise air or book our own.

She is well traveled so can answer our questions.

She is a member of Virtuoso Voyager which has provided a couple of nice excursions and cruise discounts/OBC for us.

Usually (before COVID) there were something like cruise/travel  shows after the first of the year where in one place will be several local Travel Agencies that you can talk to.  While they will probably give you the answers they think you want, this will be a good place to get a list of some agents to start researching/asking about to see what other people (who travel a lot) thin of them.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2021 at 4:14 PM, donaldsc said:

We have a wonderful TA.  We found her by talking to a friend of ours who does extensive cruising and they said that we should go w her.   We have been using her for maybe 10 years now.  In other words, we found her by word of mouth.

I will add some thoughts as to what I am looking for in a TA.  Some people want someone who gives them the best deal or the biggest rebates.  These are good but in my mind service is more important than saving the maximum amount of bucks.  Once she even got up early in the morning to get us a cabin on a cruise that we both knew was going to sell out quickly.  Our TA know what sort of cruises we like and where we want to be on the ship.  She cruise will contact us if she has a cruise that she thinks we will like.  Also she is on our side when there are issues between us and the cruise company.  

Hope that this helps.

DON

We *really* agree with what donaldsc says about SERVICE being so important.  It's one thing to save some money - and who doesn't want to do that!?

But there are times that it's not about the money.  It's about getting the specific travel arrangement that one wants in the first place, or the specific dates, etc.  Or finding out about something "similar but probably better for what you want", etc.  

We very fortunately stumbled upon a terrific travel agent, so one never knows where something might lead.  In our case, from FlyerTalk.com, we were looking for someone to help us use awards points for premium air travel (often to/from cruises, no surprise).  We ended up finding someone who really went above and beyond to get us great seats on great equipment and on great airlines, repeatedly.  That was really terrific, especially as these days our aging bodies simply can't tolerate ultra-long-haul travel sitting up.  

And then we found out that he was also a travel agent who dealt mostly with luxury level travel, so his network had similar perks to what Amex Plat offers.  That has worked out incredibly well (until Covid hit the fan, etc.).

That was pure luck, but one never knows where the next recommendation or such will show up... so do keep asking.  Ask anyone that you encounter in the travel field, or other travelers.  All it will take is one good recommendation.

GC

• Thanks 1