Positive for Covid at check-in

realtorgranny

16 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure.  That said, I'm not a lawyer and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for decades.  I pay for a cruise.  They don't let me on the ship.  I get my money back.  These laws weren't written with a pandemic in mind.  They were written so that when a consumer pays for something, they get it or get their money back.  The burden is on the merchant to prove to the credit card company that they delivered the product or service that the consumer paid for.  No cruise line is going to challenge this.

You are right that your credit card company might refund this, and I did hear of people using this when the pandemic was causing canceled cruises.  Instead of waiting for the refunds from the cruise companies, people were using this protection to get the their refunds earlier.  

What happened later on is that when these customers went to book with the cruise companies later on, the cruise line had blackballed them.  

8 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

You are right that your credit card company might refund this, and I did hear of people using this when the pandemic was causing canceled cruises.  Instead of waiting for the refunds from the cruise companies, people were using this protection to get the their refunds earlier.  

What happened later on is that when these customers went to book with the cruise companies later on, the cruise line had blackballed them.  

Two entirely different scenarios. You are talking about using consumer protection when the cruise line is the one that cancelled. In that case, I agree, consumer protection most certainly applies.

Chiefmate and I are discussion something totally different. Does consumer protection apply if it is the consumer who not able to fulfill the terms of the contract? 

All this is really a mute point with NCL's current policy which allows for a refund if you test positive at the pier. However; should NCL's policy change it is my belief that credit card consumer protection isn't a given.

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

However; should NCL's policy change it is my belief that credit card consumer protection isn't a given.

I would tend to agree with this for future bookings (i.e. after the point that their terms and conditions change).  To this point, I don't believe that the terms have indicated that they won't refund all costs if they deny boarding due to a medical condition.

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

To this point, I don't believe that the terms have indicated that they won't refund all costs if they deny boarding due to a medical condition.

Correct. My apologies. I misunderstood as I though you were implying that Consumers Protection automatically protected a cruiser who shows up at port with Covid. This is not the case unless policy was breached. I agree that the Consumer Protection act would protect you if NCL's policy was breached (which is current).  This is why I always print the terms of service on the day I purchase :).

Side note: I don't believe the policy is due to any medical condition. I believe the language is specific to testing positive for Covid. If you don't board because you had a heart attack, I don't see where NCL is saying you are entitled to a full refund.