Upgrades

jimbo1683

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

we were discussing how much we would be willing to pay for an 'upsell' to one of those suites and I can't see us spending even $ 500 pp ( $ 100 per person per day ) for that ...

cray, cray, I know, huh

This doesn't sound crazy to me at all and I wouldn't spend more than $100/pp/day for an upsell myself 👍

Our only time in a suite was an upsell from a balcony. It was $699 per person for a 10-day cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed it, especially breakfast at Sabatini's. I noticed on the upsell offer for my cruise last month on the Majestic, Princess will no longer give double cruise credits on upsells to suites: "Please note upsells into suites will remain as one (1) cruise credit per person."

2 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Our only time in a suite was an upsell from a balcony. It was $699 per person for a 10-day cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed it, especially breakfast at Sabatini's. I noticed on the upsell offer for my cruise last month on the Majestic, Princess will no longer give double cruise credits on upsells to suites: "Please note upsells into suites will remain as one (1) cruise credit per person."

Isn't that odd, when that extra point doesn't really cost them much? 

I really appreciate everyone on Cruise Critic, and I learn something new every time I read these boards.  I have been on several Princess Cruises and never knew about the magic email address for upgrades.

Thanks to you kind folks I sent an upgrade request to the magic email address.  I received a response within 30 minutes.  I was offered an upgrade for my upcoming cruise on the 26th from my larger balcony cabin to a Penthouse suite.  There was a cost of $799 per person but it was worth the price to us.  I never would have known! 

Thank you  all for being such a wealth of knowledge for the rest of us!

Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

Just now, cruiser1956 said:

I really appreciate everyone on Cruise Critic, and I learn something new every time I read these boards.  I have been on several Princess Cruises and never knew about the magic email address for upgrades.

Thanks to you kind folks I sent an upgrade request to the magic email address.  I received a response within 30 minutes.  I was offered an upgrade for my upcoming cruise on the 26th from my larger balcony cabin to a Penthouse suite.  There was a cost of $799 per person but it was worth the price to us.  I never would have known! 

Happy Cruising!

congratulations!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Isn't that odd, when that extra point doesn't really cost them much? 

Yes, it is odd now that Princess no longer gives loyalty credit based on people's cruise credits and basis milestone cruises on number of days now and not cruise credits. I don't know what good cruise credits are after someone reaches Elite.

Just now, geoherb said:

Yes, it is odd now that Princess no longer gives loyalty credit based on people's cruise credits and basis milestone cruises on number of days now and not cruise credits. I don't know what good cruise credits are after someone reaches Elite.

Bragging rights? Maybe Princess thinks people will start mentioning how many cruise credits they have, rather than number of days cruising? 😂🤣

23 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Next, when a guest elects to have UPGRADE flag on, there are two types.  ANY UPGRADE or META UPGRADE.  The latter means you only accept possible UPGRADE to next major category.  Since you are already in the top level of Club Class Mini, this requires an upgrade to a Suite - not another Mini.  Now, you mentioned you don't want a Window Suite.  Well, they don't have Balconies and your Mini has a Balcony.  They won't upgrade you from a Balcony cabin to a non-Balcony cabin.  Therefore, a META UPGRADE for you  - if it were to be offered - is to a Suite with a Balcony.

I just had a conversation with my TA several weeks ago about this very possibility (Club Class Mini to Suite).  She told me that she could only mark it "no upgrade" or "upgrade."  I was sure that I had read about something that meant only to the next major category, but she didn't seem to know anything about it.  Now I can ask her about a "Meta Upgrade" if you are sure those are still being offered?  I told her to mark it no upgrade then as we have one of the prized corner Club Class Minis.  Last I looked, they still had 6 suites available!

4 hours ago, cruiser1956 said:

Happy Cruising!

What is this magic email address?  I read through all these posts I think and didn't see any email address. I also never knew anything about this.  Do you have to be booked through Princess and not use a TA?

2 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

I just had a conversation with my TA several weeks ago about this very possibility (Club Class Mini to Suite).  She told me that she could only mark it "no upgrade" or "upgrade."  I was sure that I had read about something that meant only to the next major category, but she didn't seem to know anything about it.  Now I can ask her about a "Meta Upgrade" if you are sure those are still being offered?  I told her to mark it no upgrade then as we have one of the prized corner Club Class Minis.  Last I looked, they still had 6 suites available!

It is the way it has "always" been.  Have not heard of a change, but no doubt someone can confirm, particularly one of the CC members that is a TA and sells Princess cruises.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, rabin1 said:

How do they determine who will get the offer for an up sell to a suite?

Not many people know this but upgrades are decided by the Upgrade Fairy and the up sells are decided by the Up Sell Sage.  They are basically done on a whim influenced by the position of the moon within its cycle. These days they use computers too.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/23/2021 at 3:22 PM, cruiser1956 said:

Happy Cruising!

I am so glad you received an offer that was worthwhile for you.  You will have a wonderful time. Just to clarify,  this was an upsell.  Upgrade is a move to a better  (theoretical or for real 😁) cabin for no additional cost. For both, the value is in the eye of the beholder.